Washington State University c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunshine in a Storm

c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
OOS applicant. 3rd year applying. 3rd time to WSU. Who else is applying this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
OOS applicant. 3rd year applying. 3rd time to WSU. Who else is applying this year?
I'll also be applying! I was waitlisted for the class of 2023 and I'm planning on reapplying this upcoming cycle. I'm in state. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Feel free to ask me questions as well! I’m about to start 4th year :)

Meeeee OOS 1st time applying, non-trad! I'm not even sure why I'm applying to WSU with my lackluster stats, but I really couldn't pass up the possibility of the actual cheapest tuition I could get my hands on...

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying to WSU! In state, first time applicant.

I am considering applying! OOS. Second-time applicant. First time to WSU.

I'm applying this year to Washington as well! 2nd time applicant, 1st time for WSU!

I'm in for a second round of application, and 2nd time for WSU! Wishing everyone good luck this year!

Reactions: 1 users
Wow! it seems crazy there is a new WSU class thread already. I’m a second year at Wazzu currently, feel free to send any questions my way.

OOS First time applicant, non-trad. WSU is my number 1! Their recruiter really sold the program and I love small towns. I'll be visiting before apps are due and I'm sure I'll love it even more. @Peaches95 @Caiter92 I've been looking at the rotation options for 4th years and noticed that theres a couple rotations that would be positive for students interested in federal-type jobs (epidemiology, problem solving in animal populations, etc.) Are there any other opportunities at the school that would be beneficial for that career path? If you do not have any info, no worries, just tell me what else you really love about it!

OOS First time applicant, non-trad. WSU is my number 1! Their recruiter really sold the program and I love small towns. I'll be visiting before apps are due and I'm sure I'll love it even more. @Peaches95 @Caiter92 I've been looking at the rotation options for 4th years and noticed that theres a couple rotations that would be positive for students interested in federal-type jobs (epidemiology, problem solving in animal populations, etc.) Are there any other opportunities at the school that would be beneficial for that career path? If you do not have any info, no worries, just tell me what else you really love about it!
There is the research scholars program and you can get involved with research during school that way in those areas. A classmate worked with our epidemiologist on theirs. A lot of times if you're interested in a specific area of vet med and contact the instructor or clinician at the school that is involved with that aspect they're happy to meet with you and let you get involved with their work in some capacity :)

A classmate is very interested in wildlife disease control, and has been working on a project since first year of vet school with a clinician at the school. It's definitely possible to get involved with those less traditional areas if you're willing to network and reach out to people :)

• Love

Hi second year here as well and a savma delegate. Caiter will be able to better inform you of specific classes since she has gone through everything. However, there are a ton of opportunities and funding through SAVMA which all schools have. Our school in particular helped partially fun people to go to the CDC day in atlanta this last year. Dr. McConnell is great and does lots of epidemiology work and the animal populations problems along with dr. Wentz. So there are additional opportunities for research in those areas. The WSVMA has a group as well as SAVMA has a subgroup that focuses on federal jobs that you can get involved in and political action if you're interested in that. We have a one health club and pathology club that does alot of work/opportunities along those lines. So lots of opportunities! We'll all be around and I'm also a student ambassador so hit me up with questions it's my job! Maybe I'll be giving you your tour when you come.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
There is the research scholars program and you can get involved with research during school that way in those areas. A classmate worked with our epidemiologist on theirs. A lot of times if you're interested in a specific area of vet med and contact the instructor or clinician at the school that is involved with that aspect they're happy to meet with you and let you get involved with their work in some capacity :)

A classmate is very interested in wildlife disease control, and has been working on a project since first year of vet school with a clinician at the school. It's definitely possible to get involved with those less traditional areas if you're willing to network and reach out to people :)

Thank you very much for your reply! This really solidifies the reasons why I love this school. The fact that falculty are willing to have a wee freshman involved is very cool. Networking is definitely a weakness of mine, but the welcoming attitude of WSU will encourage me to reach out more. Thank you, thank you :)

Hi second year here as well and a savma delegate. Caiter will be able to better inform you of specific classes since she has gone through everything. However, there are a ton of opportunities and funding through SAVMA which all schools have. Our school in particular helped partially fun people to go to the CDC day in atlanta this last year. Dr. McConnell is great and does lots of epidemiology work and the animal populations problems along with dr. Wentz. So there are additional opportunities for research in those areas. The WSVMA has a group as well as SAVMA has a subgroup that focuses on federal jobs that you can get involved in and political action if you're interested in that. We have a one health club and pathology club that does alot of work/opportunities along those lines. So lots of opportunities! We'll all be around and I'm also a student ambassador so hit me up with questions it's my job! Maybe I'll be giving you your tour when you come.

Very very cool! Is there a place on the website where clubs and general ECs are listed? I’d love to look at them in more detail. I may send you some specific Qs, directly, if that’s okay. Thanks for your reply and hopefully I’ll get to meet you at some point!

Thank you very much for your reply! This really solidifies the reasons why I love this school. The fact that falculty are willing to have a wee freshman involved is very cool. Networking is definitely a weakness of mine, but the welcoming attitude of WSU will encourage me to reach out more. Thank you, thank you :)
WSU does try really hard to have a welcoming environment :)

Are you WICHE by chance?

WSU does try really hard to have a welcoming environment :)

I’ve definitely gotten that vibe through all of my interactions!

Are you WICHE by chance?

Yes and no, lol. I could potentially receive WICHE sponsorship from my state but I’m not sure if I’ll apply since that is a huge commitment after school and there’s a lot of fellowships/externships I’m interested in that won’t give me that flexibility. Since there’s always the possibility of getting IS tuition for 2-4th year, I’m leaning towards not applying for WICHE funding. I’m trying not to limit myself but I’m slightly worried that I am actually limiting myself. Vicious cycle haha

Yes and no, lol. I could potentially receive WICHE sponsorship from my state but I’m not sure if I’ll apply since that is a huge commitment after school and there’s a lot of fellowships/externships I’m interested in that won’t give me that flexibility. Since there’s always the possibility of getting IS tuition for 2-4th year, I’m leaning towards not applying for WICHE funding. I’m trying not to limit myself but I’m slightly worried that I am actually limiting myself. Vicious cycle haha
BTW, the general OOS pool is insanely competitive. I believe they preferentially accept WICHE applicants even if they don’t receive WICHE funding looking at the accepted stats, but I don’t know if that applies to those who didn’t apply via wiche.

It is a big commitment, but I would definitely encourage you to still apply. You could always decide to change later. I have a classmate that was WICHE year 1, and then applied for residency year 2 when they realized their spouses job would make it difficult to be able to honor the 4 year commitment to move back to their state.

Plus applying via wiche would also give you the ability to apply for a sponsored position at Oregon state and CSU, borh of which you wouldn’t have the option of changing to IS status and would be far more expensive than WSU if those ended up being your only acceptances :)

Have you talked to anyone from WICHE? Maybe there are exceptions made for those wanting to specialize about being allowed to return to the state after completing additional programs. I’m not really sure how that works but it would be worth looking in to :)

Apply as WICHE because you get preferance looked at here vs straight OOS pool. Then you can always decline funding if awarded and still attend here as OOS.

BTW, the general OOS pool is insanely competitive. I believe they preferentially accept WICHE applicants even if they don’t receive WICHE funding looking at the accepted stats, but I don’t know if that applies to those who didn’t apply via wiche.

It is a big commitment, but I would definitely encourage you to still apply. You could always decide to change later. I have a classmate that was WICHE year 1, and then applied for residency year 2 when they realized their spouses job would make it difficult to be able to honor the 4 year commitment to move back to their state.

Plus applying via wiche would also give you the ability to apply for a sponsored position at Oregon state and CSU, borh of which you wouldn’t have the option of changing to IS status and would be far more expensive than WSU if those ended up being your only acceptances :)

Have you talked to anyone from WICHE? Maybe there are exceptions made for those wanting to specialize about being allowed to return to the state after completing additional programs. I’m not really sure how that works but it would be worth looking in to :)
Apply as WICHE because you get preferance looked at here vs straight OOS pool. Then you can always decline funding if awarded and still attend here as OOS.

Ah, ya'll speak words of wisdom! I had the hardest time trying to figure out how all of that worked. I only have a friend that accepted the WICHE offer so I wasn't sure if you could reject the funding but still accept that seat. It makes so much more sense now, thanks! I'll need to see if a state employee can give me some more information about possibly deferring that commitment for continuing education/experiences. So much to think about now. Thank you guys so so much.

Ah, ya'll speak words of wisdom! I had the hardest time trying to figure out how all of that worked. I only have a friend that accepted the WICHE offer so I wasn't sure if you could reject the funding but still accept that seat. It makes so much more sense now, thanks! I'll need to see if a state employee can give me some more information about possibly deferring that commitment for continuing education/experiences. So much to think about now. Thank you guys so so much.
btw this actually came up tonight on my shift with a WICHE classmat and you are allowed to defer moving back to your state for residency. So you could still be WICHE and pursue your interests :)

• Love
Very very cool! Is there a place on the website where clubs and general ECs are listed? I’d love to look at them in more detail. I may send you some specific Qs, directly, if that’s okay. Thanks for your reply and hopefully I’ll get to meet you at some point!
Don't know how up-to-date the page is but it's a start. Feel free to shoot me a PM sorry I got a little busy and haven't responded directly, but wanted to get you that link!

• Love
How are applications going so far for everyone?

I'm in for a second round of application, and 2nd time for WSU! Wishing everyone good luck this year!
Same here! I wish I had more information on how I could improve. I did the file review but they couldn't comment on LORs or essays!

Me, currently on essay 1/6.

Guh. I made the mistake of taking an English Comp course this summer, and my motivation to write more than those essays is next to nil. starting essay #1 of 19 tonight

Guh. I made the mistake of taking an English Comp course this summer, and my motivation to write more than those essays is next to nil. starting essay #1 of 19 tonight
Oh wow! That's a lot to do! Hopefully your class can at least give you some good writing tips.
Since I applied last year all I need to do is tweak some of my previous essays and then write a couple of new ones. So it shouldn't be to bad. Good luck with your essays and your class! :)

Oh wow! That's a lot to do! Hopefully your class can at least give you some good writing tips.
Since I applied last year all I need to do is tweak some of my previous essays and then write a couple of new ones. So it shouldn't be to bad. Good luck with your essays and your class! :)
I'm so superstitious, since I didn't get in last year I didn't even look at my past essays!! I started fresh and already started drafting new essays... I have the willpower for it now, at least. We'll see what happens once I finish the first application or two ;)

I'm so superstitious, since I didn't get in last year I didn't even look at my past essays!! I started fresh and already started drafting new essays... I have the willpower for it now, at least. We'll see what happens once I finish the first application or two ;)
I'm kind of in between what I want to do with my essays this year. I really like the main ideas in my essays and I put a lot of time in to them last year, so I think I'm just going to keep the main ideas and revamp the rest.

OOS applicant. 1rst year applying. 1rst time to WSU. Does anyone know when interview invites will be sent out?

OOS invites usually go out around December

On the important dates web page the timeline is a little bit different this year compared to last year, so I am hoping invites will go out a little earlier. Last year OOS interviews were January 28th to February 1st. This year they say they will be mid-January. In state interviews last year were mid-January and this year they are going to be Early December. So hopefully we hear a little sooner this year about interview invites! :)

They swapped IS and OOS interviews the year I applied too and OOS still went out early to mid December, so I wouldn’t hold your breath they’ll be out before then but :p hopefully they will!

Quick question. I am looking at the sample supplemental application. Is there a word limit or character count for each essay? :oops:

Quick question. I am looking at the sample supplemental application. Is there a word limit or character count for each essay? :oops:

Hi there! I am working on this right now as well. Once you pay the fee and open the application it tells you. Looks like it's 300 words for the first two questions and 500 words for the third.

Also, hello everyone! I'm a OOS, non-trad, first time applicant.

Hi! non trad, oos, 1st-year applicant! haven't even started supplemental applications:chicken:

Hi there! I am working on this right now as well. Once you pay the fee and open the application it tells you. Looks like it's 300 words for the first two questions and 500 words for the third.

Also, hello everyone! I'm a OOS, non-trad, first time applicant.

Thank you!!!

I'm working on the 3rd essay (Describe how your interest in science and veterinary medicine developed, solidifies and grew throughout your life) and I am wondering if being too specific about current interests could potentially backfire? I 100% want to go into public health, but should I not be so adamant and somehow work in that I'd be happy in a gp practice as well, if it came to it?

I'm visiting WSU next week and I'm super excited!

How long would it take for WSU to "receive" my VMCAS application? I submitted it on 9/10, but it has not yet been verified.

How long would it take for WSU to "receive" my VMCAS application? I submitted it on 9/10, but it has not yet been verified.
VMCAS will send your application to WSU once it's verified. This close to the deadline it's gonna take a while :)

IS applicant and 1st year applying. Hi everyone! Today is the final day (aaaaah!!) I wish everyone the best of luck for this application cycle! You got this! :biglove::happy:

Totally haven't even looked at the supplemental yet. But VMCAS is submitted. Laa dee daaaaaaaa.. maybe later...

Totally haven't even looked at the supplemental yet. But VMCAS is submitted. Laa dee daaaaaaaa.. maybe later...

It's not so bad, probably similar to other essays you've done for other schools. Working on it now :-D

DONE! The last lagging bit is DONE, submitted the supplemental! Good luck to you all!