West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

Started by DOthreads
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hi guys,
I submitted by secondary 10/23 along with the required letters. My stats are sGPA 4.00, cGPA 3.96, 24. Do you think I have a shot at WVSOM? (I am still currently finishing my degree along with a few pre-reqs).

Also, approx. how long did it take you guys to here back regarding an II after submitting your secondary?

Thanks so much!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am indeed. Sounds like you have a pretty well rounded app, I'd be surprised if you didn't get an II.
Thank you so much! I really hope I do get an II here, as I have heard very good things about this school. How do you like it so far?
Also, if you can remember, how long did it take you receive an interview when you applied?
 
Hey y'all! I was wondering if anyone this cycle has gotten accepted with a 23-24 MCAT! Thanks! My stats are 3.65c, 3.70s..MCAT pending. DO LOR & have worked at a CHC for an underprivileged community! Please let me know if if I have a shot this cycle! 🙂
 
Thank you so much! I really hope I do get an II here, as I have heard very good things about this school. How do you like it so far?
Also, if you can remember, how long did it take you receive an interview when you applied?


I have been very impressed by the curriculum and faculty so far. I personally feel like I am getting a quality education. The faculty are ALWAYS available and no question goes unanswered. They hold study sessions for us and always have their doors open for questions. The nice thing about WVSOM is that we ARE the students on campus. There isn't a nursing program, a PA program, an undergraduate class, or anything. They focus just on us.

The campus is beautiful. I visited a few campuses that had everything crammed into one building. WVSOM's campus is spread out over quite a few acres, so it is spacious. They are building a brand new student center on campus as I type this, and the rendered images of the building look AMAZING.

The community itself is extremely supportive. You talk to anyone in town and they have the utmost respect for the "O" school students and for the school in general. It's a small town so the environment is pretty intimate and everyone is really nice. I'm from MN where Minnesota nice is a thing, but I think this town challenges that to the max.

Sorry for the long post, taking a quick study break so my mind is like mush and I tend to ramble. Happy to answer any questions anyone has. Just post here or PM me.
 
I'm still waiting lol there are some in my group that had already received an update but my portal still says decision pending

Did you interview on 10/10? Any idea if they update the portal for rejections too or if they just send them through snail mail? :nailbiting:
 
I think they said that they post rejections on the portal as well, then send emails to let you know if you've been deferred. I interviewed 10/20 so I'm hoping for an update soon
 
Did you interview on 10/10? Any idea if they update the portal for rejections too or if they just send them through snail mail? :nailbiting:
Yup I did. Lol I believe they post rejections on the portal as well and also send it via snail mail, kick us while we're down if it's a rejection lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
really want to go to this school. just submitted my secondary, when should I be hearing back?
It took exactly two months between submitting my secondary and getting an invite to interview, and a month between the invite and the actual interview. I did have a delay due to an error relaying MCAT score between AMCAS and AACOMAS Your mileage may vary.
 
Your Mileage May Vary is a standard disclaimer. It means your experience might be different than mine. deejaymd has shared that her wait between secondary and invite was only three weeks, yours could be less or more. None of us can really answer your initial question since we don't work in the admissions office... we can just tell you our personal results.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Decision deferred post-Secondary! May be because of my low MCAT score/OOS
Hoping for the best!
 
Last edited:
NOV 3rd, and they sent me a decision deferred email this morning 🤔
Easier said than done, but I wouldn't worry tooo much. I have learned from previous posts/years that deferrals can lead to interview. Deferred means there's still hope! 🙂 good luck!
 
So I submitted my secondaries on 10/17 and it has been on deferred since before I even submitted secondaries. But I haven't yet received an official email stating I had a deferred decision. Anyone else had this case?
 
I submitted my secondary in the beginning of October, and my portal status is still in process/decision pending. Should I contact them to check in?
 
So I submitted my secondaries on 10/17 and it has been on deferred since before I even submitted secondaries. But I haven't yet received an official email stating I had a deferred decision. Anyone else had this case?
Mine was on deferred before submission too. I don't know why they haven't replied back to you. Is your application file complete though? (recommendations, mcat scores, transcript, etc.)
 
I submitted my secondary in the beginning of October, and my portal status is still in process/decision pending. Should I contact them to check in?
Definitely call! They are so helpful and friendly in the admissions office, especially if you talk to Annette Moore. She's an angel!!
 
Call their office, they are super nice

Definitely call! They are so helpful and friendly in the admissions office, especially if you talk to Annette Moore. She's an angel!!
Called earlier today, they said it was due to my misdemeanor for being caught with alcohol 7 years ago so they didn't put me in pending decision. But they will review it again this week or next but said she doesn't think it would be an issue since it was long time ago. I'm hoping this isn't going to be a big deal in the end! *Slap on the hand at my younger self*
 
Anybody out there interviewing this Friday? Really looking forward to this school, and town...from the pictures, it looks like my hometown!
 
Greetings fellow WVSOM applicants, acceptees, students and graduates alike!

To all of those who have experienced this same sequence of events, I got an email this morning saying my letters of recommendation have been added to my checklist, and they are now on my portal! Should I be hopeful? 🙂

"All electronically submitted letters of recommendation (Interfolio or Virtual Eval) are available to our office for review purposes, but are not posted to your checklist until an interview has been scheduled and confirmed."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Greetings fellow WVSOM applicants, acceptees, students and graduates alike!

To all of those who have experienced this same sequence of events, I got an email this morning saying my letters of recommendation have been added to my checklist, and they are now on my portal! Should I be hopeful? 🙂

"All electronically submitted letters of recommendation (Interfolio or Virtual Eval) are available to our office for review purposes, but are not posted to your checklist until an interview has been scheduled and confirmed."
Should mean that an II is coming.
 
Greetings fellow WVSOM applicants, acceptees, students and graduates alike!

To all of those who have experienced this same sequence of events, I got an email this morning saying my letters of recommendation have been added to my checklist, and they are now on my portal! Should I be hopeful? 🙂

"All electronically submitted letters of recommendation (Interfolio or Virtual Eval) are available to our office for review purposes, but are not posted to your checklist until an interview has been scheduled and confirmed."
Hello,
If you don't mind me asking, when were you complete?
 
@MiamiGuy1 I was marked complete October 15th, and called Monday to follow up. When I called on 11/3 they said my file had not been opened yet!!!! ... I received the update emails stating my letters had been added and my portal was updated at 4:44am yesterday morning (11/5). That. Was. Fast! I'm also OOS :claps:.
 
Call their office, they are super nice

Definitely call! They are so helpful and friendly in the admissions office, especially if you talk to Annette Moore. She's an angel!!

Thanks for the advice guys! I contacted them, and they said it has to do with the volume of apps and that I should be hearing something soon. Hopefully, it something good!