Western c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From what I’ve heard, when schools over-accept, there can of course sometimes be more people in a class than they wanted. However, I’ve only seen the school deal with it and just accommodate a larger class size. Going all the way back to the late 90’s, I know a vet who went to Penn and there were 130+ in her class (usually just over 120). It was a little cramped in some places like the anatomy lab, but they made it work. It just seems crazy to me that a school would over-accept so much that, from the way it sounds, over 20 people are being deferred. I’m not doubting it’s ever happened at all. I’m just wondering when and where it’s happened.

Right?! And if what someone earlier in the thread said is true there’s 100 outstanding offers AND the class is full. If I’m interpreting the information correctly...So does this mean that the waitlist is essentially obsolete this cycle? And what does that mean for next cycle if so many are getting deferred?
These are just things I’m thinking about and I hope that everything works out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Right?! And if what someone earlier in the thread said is true there’s 100 outstanding offers AND the class is full. So does this mean that the waitlist is essentially obsolete this cycle? And what does that mean for next cycle if so many are getting deferred?
These are just things I’m thinking about and I hope that everything works out.
That’s the other thing. I’m almost certain western has never had this happen before. I’ve heard in the past that the waitlist has had little movement some years, and other years they’ve gone through the whole thing. But I’ve never heard of this happening. And since there were more applicants this year than ever before, I’m sure more people got rejected from other schools and so accepted an offer from Western. That’s probably where this problem stems from. Also the gap in communication, given that someone spoke to Karen this morning and she said that they’re expecting to take a few people off the waitlist. From what it sounds like, they’re not.

That’s the other thing. I’m almost certain western has never had this happen before. I’ve heard in the past that the waitlist has had little movement some years, and other years they’ve gone through the whole thing. But I’ve never heard of this happening. And since there were more applicants this year than ever before, I’m sure more people got rejected from other schools and so accepted an offer from Western. That’s probably where this problem stems from. Also the gap in communication, given that someone spoke to Karen this morning and she said that they’re expecting to take a few people off the waitlist. From what it sounds like, they’re not.

Exactly! When I spoke to Karen this morning, she sounded almost reassuring. Maybe they just had a late afternoon meeting and realized there was an issue? I have absolutely no idea. This is just... insane. And with no compensation for those affected either! Crazy!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly! When I spoke to Karen this morning, she sounded almost reassuring. Maybe they just had a late afternoon meeting and realized there was an issue? I have absolutely no idea. This is just... insane. And with no compensation for those affected either! Crazy!
I know I’ve already made some assumptions about what’s going on, but I’m eager to hear what their explanation is if they give one. I was waitlisted, but lucky enough to be accepted by another school. However, I still feel almost attached to western because of how different they made themselves out to be. It’s a little disconcerting to me now that this is happening.

A few years ago (current class of 2020) - I was waitlisted at Penn and then offered a deferred admission. I chose not to do this as I had acceptances elsewhere. That same year Ohio had more accept their seat than they typically have and I think they offered some students to defer, but also offered their students a spot in a Masters program for the time between. I might be remembering that offer incorrectly, but it was something along those lines.

I know I’ve already made some assumptions about what’s going on, but I’m eager to hear what their explanation is if they give one. I was waitlisted, but lucky enough to be accepted by another school. However, I still feel almost attached to western because of how different they made themselves out to be. It’s a little disconcerting to me now that this is happening.

I completely agree with this. They sent me a birthday email last year, and happy holiday stuff. I thought it was personal and cute. But now... so disenchanted.

Also, I know people have said it's happened before at other schools. I can't remember which ones but it's still unusual.
From what I’ve heard, when schools over-accept, there can of course sometimes be more people in a class than they wanted. However, I’ve only seen the school deal with it and just accommodate a larger class size. Going all the way back to the late 90’s, I know a vet who went to Penn and there were 130+ in her class (usually just over 120). It was a little cramped in some places like the anatomy lab, but they made it work. It just seems crazy to me that a school would over-accept so much that, from the way it sounds, over 20 people are being deferred. I’m not doubting it’s ever happened at all. I’m just wondering when and where it’s happened.
I think Ohio state had it happen in the past and Illinois had it happen for 2020 but deferments were not forced. Incentives were offered like a free masters or in state tuition to get people to defer to the next class. Illinois has a goal of 130 total and ~180 had accepted. They got it down to ~160 I think with incentives for deferment and just rolled with it. They had enough seats in the classroom and made it work. But certainly did not take away someone’s acceptance because they had a huge jump in acceptances.

Reactions: 4 users
I got the same email. I just don’t understand how they could do this AFTER decision day... I have declined others bc of this acceptance and now I’m going to have to wait a year. I can’t believe this.

Reactions: 5 users
My question at this point is is this something that should be brought to the attention of the AAVMC?

I got the same email. I just don’t understand how they could do this AFTER decision day... I have declined others bc of this acceptance and now I’m going to have to wait a year. I can’t believe this.
I know it’s a really long shot, but I’d consider contacting your next top choice just to see if they’d be willing to let you have your spot back or your spot in the waitlist pool? Maybe someone would take pity since this is an extreme case...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t see any harm in it. Because if it’s based on who paid deposit first, that definitely seems like it violates the April 15th deadline.
Well that finalizes my decision on that. To make matters 10x worse, Karen explicitly said on interview day just before the financial aid seminar that if any college tries to get you to submit your deposit before the deadline that they should be reported to the AAVMC.

I think Ohio state had it happen in the past and Illinois had it happen for 2020 but deferments were not forced. Incentives were offered like a free masters or in state tuition to get people to defer to the next class. Illinois has a goal of 130 total and ~180 had accepted. They got it down to ~160 I think with incentives for deferment and just rolled with it. They had enough seats in the classroom and made it work. But certainly did not take away someone’s acceptance because they had a huge jump in acceptances.

Honestly if the school just was kind and offered something I may have been willing.
I don’t see any harm in it. Because if it’s based on who paid deposit first, that definitely seems like it violates the April 15th deadline.

That’s what I said! And I technically accepted my seat two weeks before my deposit. The worst part is this AM my seat was technically confirmed and I received my student email - which is functioning btw- and my student ID number.

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone who got the rug pulled out from under them needs to contact the AAVMC and tell them what happened especially since it seems like it’s based on when you submitted your deposit. They may not be able to do much for you guys, but the school needs to have some sort of action taken against them and that won’t happen unless AAVMC hears it and hears it from multiple people.

Just submitted my comment to the AAVMC. I encourage everyone else do the same.

I will definitely do the same. Just on the website?
In the contact us section on the AAVMC website, I selected “other” for the topic of my comment.

Oh my goodness. I just got home from my internship.

I'm like in shock this happened to y'all. I'm thinking there had to have been some miscommunication and then had a meeting. Then, they might have realized they needed to communicate to the overaceptance-ees (same theory as @doctor-who).

I don't know how Western and the AAVMC will respond to concerns, but I do remember in the acceptance email Western said:
"The CVM routinely issues invitations to more candidates than seats allotted. This is in response to the common practice of applicants applying to multiple institutions. In the unprecedented event that the number of acceptances significantly exceeds the College’s resources, confirmation of your seat will be provided after receipt of your written acceptance and deposit on a first come first served basis as determined after April 15, 2019."

I'll attach it below, too.

But, my all of fingers and toes are crossed for a good outcome for all of you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 5.44.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 5.44.34 PM.png
    42 KB · Views: 112
Oh my goodness. I just got home from my internship.

I'm like in shock this happened to y'all. I'm thinking there had to have been some miscommunication and then had a meeting. Then, they might have realized they needed to communicate to the overaceptance-ees (same theory as @doctor-who).

I don't know how Western and the AAVMC will respond to concerns, but I do remember in the acceptance email Western said:
"The CVM routinely issues invitations to more candidates than seats allotted. This is in response to the common practice of applicants applying to multiple institutions. In the unprecedented event that the number of acceptances significantly exceeds the College’s resources, confirmation of your seat will be provided after receipt of your written acceptance and deposit on a first come first served basis as determined after April 15, 2019."

I'll attach it below, too.

But, my all of fingers and toes are crossed for a good outcome for all of you!

The issue is that this is technically pressuring students to pay before the national deadline. Which is definitely not okay.

Also if they had completely overfilled the class weeks before the deadline, they could have let the HUNDRED other people know that it was already full and if they had a seat elsewhere they may want to take that instead *shrug*

Yea the issue here is that Karen was extremely adamant that any pressuring be reported to the AAVMC, as students absolutely can wait until the April 15th deadline. However, it seems that their intention all along has been that submitting your deposit before the deadline doesn’t guarantee you a seat in the class of 2019. That’s absolutely not okay. And like @SkiOtter said, it’s obvious that they knew before the deadline that the class was full and there were still many (100?!) outstanding offers. They should’ve let all of those students know very clearly that this was happening prior to the deadline so that they could decide if they wanted to go to another school. They essentially took the decision away from the students.

In the contact us section on the AAVMC website, I selected “other” for the topic of my comment.

I just did this also. I encourage anyone else too also so this gets resolved.

I just did this also. I encourage anyone else too also so this gets resolved.
Do you have to be an applicant to do this? I wasn’t in the running for western but I’ll 200% do it, because I am so disheartened for you all

Do you have to be an applicant to do this? I wasn’t in the running for western but I’ll 200% do it, because I am so disheartened for you all
Nope. You can still report it since you know it’s going on. I wasn’t affected by it since I withdrew my application back in February, but I still want this to be handled appropriately.

I’m so angry for you all.
Will 1000% write to AAVMC.
This is messsseddddd up

Last edited:
Message sent. Absolutely ridiculous that this is happening. To all those affected - we're right here behind you! You guys deserve your seats and I hope that this sends some kind of tidal wave towards getting them back.

Western was my first acceptance and I emailed Karen about how soon we needed to put our deposit down (I was panicked from the over-acceptance statement in the acceptance letter) and she literally told me to wait until April in order to consider all of my offers. So I’m incredibly frustrated for you all I’m so sorry :(

Western was my first acceptance and I emailed Karen about how soon we needed to put our deposit down (I was panicked from the over-acceptance statement in the acceptance letter) and she literally told me to wait until April in order to consider all of my offers. So I’m incredibly frustrated for you all I’m so sorry :(

Yeah it’s stuff like this that is so upsetting.

Good morning to all!

There appears to be a misconception that we are deferring students to the Fall of 2020. We expect all of those that accepted our offer and paid the deposit by the April 15th deadline to matriculate this Fall. Our accrediting body does not allow us to matriculate more than 108. Doing so would be in violation of accreditation requirements and would impact clinical skills placement. Additionally, we have never experienced such a response where we would be over by so many students.

We contacted 18 students yesterday, one of which has already been confirmed for a seat due to a withdrawal. We expect to continue being able to confirm students over the next several weeks as candidates withdraw to attend another program. Therefore, no one has been deferred to 2020 at this time. All 17 students must still plan to matriculate this Fall until told otherwise.

I have been in contact with AAVMC and was assured that we have not violated the policy and have acted in good faith by notifying the 18 students when we did. It is too early to determine how things will play out as the deadline was just two days ago.

Those of you affected please continue to contact us with any questions or concerns. My team and I will do our best to assist you and answer those questions in a timely manner. For those things we cannot assist you with or questions we cannot answer we will certainly direct you to the appropriate person.

Dear xxxxxx,

On behalf of Western University of Health Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, we are writing to inform you that the class entering Fall 2019 is filled and we currently are unable to confirm your seat in the Fall 2019 entering class at this time. As noted in the January 2019 offer letter, due to the large number of confirmations we have already received, we are in the unfortunate position of not being able to accept more than 108 students to our Fall 2019 entering class. As a result, we would like to offer you deferred acceptance into the Fall 2020 entering class. As a Deferred Acceptance student, should a place become vacant in the Fall 2019 entering class, you will be the ________ considered to fill the vacancy.

We recognize your strong commitment to our program and your stated interest is an important factor in our decision to offer you deferred admission. The educational goal and mission of the College is to graduate a veterinarian with the qualities of a caring, compassionate, lifelong learner with a distinctive humanistic philosophy. Our confidence in you was expressed via our original offer.

In order to secure your position as a deferred acceptance student, you are required to convey your acceptance by email. Should you not receive a seat in this Fall’s entering class, you will not be required to submit a new application nor an additional deposit. Regardless of the year of matriculation you will need to submit the following items by June 1 of the year you begin the professional curriculum (2019 or 2020); 1) updated official transcripts from all colleges and/or universities attended (if applicable), 2) evidence of completion of all required prerequisite coursework at a satisfactory level, 3) a physical examination, and 4) you must also meet the University’s immunization requirements as stated in the college catalog located at www.westernu.edu.

This year’s process has been unusually competitive. We understand the disappointment you may be feeling because of the potential delay in your professional training. Still, we are looking forward to your eventual arrival – now, or next year! Your position is secure if you follow the instructions provided above.

Our best to you!

How is this not telling someone that they are being deferred if a seat doesn’t open up?

Reactions: 9 users
How is this not telling someone that they are being deferred if a seat doesn’t open up?
Yea it’s kind of a 6 in one, half dozen in another argument. Just because applicants are EXPECTED to be in the class of 2019 doesn’t mean they will be, just as it was unexpected that so many would accept the offer. So as of now, students are deferred unless told otherwise. That’s the only thing that’s been confirmed, and I still don’t see how it’s not in violation of the AAVMC deadline. Especially because the students submitted their deposit before the deadline, but weren’t actually guaranteed a spot.

There appears to be a misconception that we are deferring students to the Fall of 2020. We expect all of those that accepted our offer and paid the deposit by the April 15th deadline to matriculate this Fall.
On behalf of Western University of Health Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, we are writing to inform you that the class entering Fall 2019 is filled and we currently are unable to confirm your seat in the Fall 2019 entering class at this time. As noted in the January 2019 offer letter, due to the large number of confirmations we have already received, we are in the unfortunate position of not being able to accept more than 108 students to our Fall 2019 entering class. As a result, we would like to offer you deferred acceptance into the Fall 2020 entering class. As a Deferred Acceptance student, should a place become vacant in the Fall 2019 entering class, you will be the ________ considered to fill the vacancy.
Is the bolded not exactly that, though? Clearly something is getting lost in translation.

I don't see how this isn't in violation of the established AAVMC/VMCAS agreement. A major point of that agreement, as I understand it, is to save applicants money in putting down deposits at multiple schools just to secure seats. It's not so much the "offering deferred acceptances" thing I have qualms with (it's happened at other schools before, but there are also at least usually some incentives such as a free masters program or IS tuition offered); it's more the idea that apparently in order for an accepted student to guarantee that they would have a spot in the class, they had to submit their deposit ASAP or risk their acceptance for this year being null and void or deferred because so many students accepted their admissions offers. I'm not sure when Western releases admissions decisions, but there are some schools that don't release theirs until very, very late in the cycle---I'm thinking, like, IS decisions at Mizzou or OkSU; one of the reasons why the April 15th agreement exists is to ensure that applicants accepted to multiple schools can receive all of their admissions decisions, weigh and evaluate their choices, and not be coerced into paying thousands of dollars in deposits for fear of losing a seat, correct? Is this not instituting a "First come, first serve" method of securing seats through payment of deposits prior to the deadline?

Or, at the very least, there is some pretty major miscommunication going on.

ETA: I reread the past couple of pages of the thread. I know that your previous post states that all of those who accepted and paid the deposit by April 15th should be able to matriculate this fall, but that's very much contingent upon others who have already secured their seats choosing to not attend since you claim that 108 is max capacity and you have no way to go above that. It's not nearly as much of a guarantee that their acceptance into the c/o 2023 is going to be honored as you seem to be implying that it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the bolded not exactly that, though? Clearly something is getting lost in translation.

I think that what these applicants are taking issue with is that (apparently; I've never applied to Western so I'm just going off of what's been stated in-thread) those who have been accepted were being pressured to put down deposits prior to April 15th before the class became full because so many more students accepted their offer than was anticipated. I don't see how this isn't in violation of the established AAVMC/VMCAS agreement. A major point of that agreement, as I understand it, is to save applicants money in putting down deposits at multiple schools just to secure seats. It's not so much the "offering deferred acceptances" thing I have qualms with (it's happened at other schools before); it's the idea that apparently in order for an accepted student to guarantee that they would have a spot in the class, they had to submit their deposit ASAP or risk their acceptance for this year being null and void because so many students accepted their admissions offers. I'm not sure when Western releases admissions decisions, but there are some schools that don't release theirs until very, very late in the cycle---I'm thinking, like, IS decisions at Mizzou or OkSU; one of the reasons why the April 15th agreement exists is to ensure that applicants accepted to multiple schools can recieve all of their admissions decisions, weigh and evaluate their choices, and not be coerced into paying thousands of dollars in deposits for fear of losing a seat, correct?

As aforementioned, it's very possible that I don't have the full picture... but from what I've seen in this thread, this is coercion and should be considered in violation of the policy. Or, at the very least, there is some major miscommunication going on.

This sums the situation up well. Thank you for posting this.

Edit: also our decisions were released mid January.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your posts. I will be sharing your comments, questions, concerns and frustrations with the college so that they are aware. I will be sure to provide any updates if and when I have them.

This sums the situation up well. Thank you for posting this.

Edit: also our decisions were released mid January.
Ah, I see. Not too early, not too late. That seems to be right around when the majority of schools put out their decisions. A few schools don't release decisions until mid-late March or even early April.

I just wanted to clarify, too, that I don't think offering deferred acceptances is necessarily a bad thing; I know of at least a couple of other vet schools that have done this when more students than anticipated accepted admissions offers. But generally when that happens, there are at least some incentives offered. Obviously, since Western is private they can't give those deferred IS tuition, but I think that it's only right that they offer something. It's kind of a big deal to suddenly have a year-long delay in starting a program like that.

It's more the principle of "First come, first serve" and "Oops, too many people accepted so we can only take in those who paid their deposits first, even if everyone paid before the deadline!" that I take issue with, especially in light of the AAVMC agreement which attempts to prevent that sort of thing from happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I see. Not too early, not too late. That seems to be right around when the majority of schools put out their decisions. A few schools don't release decisions until mid-late March or even early April.

I just wanted to clarify, too, that I don't think offering deferred acceptances is necessarily a bad thing; I know of at least a couple of other vet schools that have done this when more students than anticipated accepted admissions offers. But generally when that happens, there are at least some incentives offered. Obviously, since Western is private they can't give those deferred IS tuition, but I think that it's only right that they offer something. It's kind of a big deal to suddenly have a year-long delay in starting a program like that.

It's more the principle of "Oops, too many people accepted so we can only take in those who paid their deposits first, even if everyone paid before the deadline!" that I take issue with, especially in light of the AAVMC agreement which explicitly tries to prevent that sort of "first come, first serve" thing from happening.
Yea the problem is also that this is exactly why waitlists are a thing. You accept around how many people can be in the class, maybe a little more. Then whatever is left you pull from the waitlist. I understand they want to get the best applicants possible by not waiting until others have accepted their spots to then pull off the waitlist, but this is far worse. In addition, it sounds like other schools incentivized to make the class size more manageable, but then ate the difference. They didn’t force students to defer.

It's more the principle of "Oops, too many people accepted so we can only take in those who paid their deposits first, even if everyone paid before the deadline!" that I take issue with, especially in light of the AAVMC agreement which attempts to prevent that sort of "first come, first serve" thing from happening.

Yeah, the inconvenience will be massive for my family unfortunately. My husband and I signed a lease out on our house yesterday after my email and stuff was confirmed. So we will be homeless with 3 dogs in a month if I can’t matriculate this year. Fortunately I just got the news from MSU that I moved to #2 so hopefully I won’t have anything to worry about.

I know of at least a couple of other vet schools that have done this when more students than anticipated accepted admissions offers. But generally when that happens, there are at least some incentives offered. Obviously, since Western is private they can't give those deferred IS tuition, but I think that it's only right that they offer something. It's kind of a big deal to suddenly have a year-long delay in starting a program like that.
There’s also the fact that the other schools had VOLUNTARY deferments. Western is FORCING them if they don’t have enough people drop. Choosing to wait a year is completely different than being told “whoops we ran out of spots so you can only come if people drop whooooops sorry not sorry”

It's more the principle of "First come, first serve" and "Oops, too many people accepted so we can only take in those who paid their deposits first, even if everyone paid before the deadline!" that I take issue with, especially in light of the AAVMC agreement which attempts to prevent that sort of thing from happening.

I agree. I believe they should offer some type of incentive because from what I’ve read, it’s affected a lot of us in different ways. In my case, this is my second year applying and last year I was accepted at St. George, I decided voluntarily to defer my acceptance to this year so I could re-apply and have a chance at a US school (a lot cheaper and closer). When I accepted at Western I withdrew my spot at St. George. So I’ve already waited an extra year to get into vet school and it just makes me so sad to think I have to wait ANOTHER year.

If they would have told us the class was full before the deadline (which it was), I could have at least secured my spot at the other school in case no spots opened for this class.

So I've basically given up hope about ever getting off this waitlist, but... I called anyway today to see what was up since two deferred students have posted here on SDN that they have accepted seats elsewhere. When I called, they said that only one person has dropped off of the deferred waitlist, so I'm guessing they just haven't updated this list lately? I'm really trying to focus on applying for this coming round, but it's so hard when there's still this little tiny thread of hope that they might call me... but I know I should just assume rejection. Sigh. This whole application cycle has been so terrible that I'm not even that excited for graduation because then I'll be in limbo for at least another year. Anyone feeling similarly?

So I've basically given up hope about ever getting off this waitlist, but... I called anyway today to see what was up since two deferred students have posted here on SDN that they have accepted seats elsewhere. When I called, they said that only one person has dropped off of the deferred waitlist, so I'm guessing they just haven't updated this list lately? I'm really trying to focus on applying for this coming round, but it's so hard when there's still this little tiny thread of hope that they might call me... but I know I should just assume rejection. Sigh. This whole application cycle has been so terrible that I'm not even that excited for graduation because then I'll be in limbo for at least another year. Anyone feeling similarly?

Definitely feeling similar. I’m also waitlisted at Michigan state (at this point in the 20s) but I’m not feeling too optimistic these days and it’s also been hard for me to get pumped for graduation. It sucks but hopefully we’ll all move past this soon.

I just have to say, don’t look at a gap year between graduation and vet school as being stuck in limbo. It was the best thing I ever did. I was able to work much more at a vet hospital, make great relationships, hone my clinical skills and get great experiences in the hospital, and make some money as well. I honestly think I would have felt overloaded going right to school from school. If you didn’t take a gap year between high school and college then you’ve basically been in school for 17-18 years straight! A year in between can actually do a lot of good. And if you decide to do a post-bacc or something, it’s less work than a full degree so it’s still a bit of a breather.

Reactions: 7 users
I just have to say, don’t look at a gap year between graduation and vet school as being stuck in limbo. It was the best thing I ever did. I was able to work much more at a vet hospital, make great relationships, hone my clinical skills and get great experiences in the hospital, and make some money as well. I honestly think I would have felt overloaded going right to school from school. If you didn’t take a gap year between high school and college then you’ve basically been in school for 17-18 years straight! A year in between can actually do a lot of good. And if you decide to do a post-bacc or something, it’s less work than a full degree so it’s still a bit of a breather.

I do believe in my heart of hearts that you're right - the gap year will be a breather and it might do me some good. But I'm just taking a super long time to get out of this funk that I've been in since rejections started in November. But I really do appreciate the positivity. Sometimes I go into doomsday mode a little too much. Maybe once apps are in and my gap year truly starts, I'll end up being grateful and you can say you told me so :) For now I'm going to eat all the dessert I want, though. I'll be rollin' into vet school next year :cool: