Western c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, I'm looking for advice on housing if there are any current students here. I have a border collie and husky that will be coming with me. I've seen on various apartment websites that they won't allow huskies. Does anyone have experience finding housing in the area that doesn't have these restrictions or is it a common thing in California? (I'm from the East coast)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

The best way is checking apartments.com in my opinion (if you haven’t done that yet). You can use filters to find the animal friendly places near campus. Also, I found out yesterday, once you get your Western email, you can sign into a portal that they give under next steps for admitted students and there is a place for current students to post housing ads.

And just a heads up:Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario and Claremont are good places to check out for apartments (I’m a local). Chino Hills was also thrown out by a few students who were there on my interview day. Because of traffic, I’d say you want to stay away from cities west of pomona ( specifically Azusa, Glendora). Traffic is terrible at all times of the day on the 210 around there. You can be stuck in traffic for an hour and only go 5 miles. It’s rough.

Members don't see this ad.

The best way is checking apartments.com in my opinion (if you haven’t done that yet). You can use filters to find the animal friendly places near campus. Also, I found out yesterday, once you get your Western email, you can sign into a portal that they give under next steps for admitted students and there is a place for current students to post housing ads.

And just a heads up:Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario and Claremont are good places to check out for apartments (I’m a local). Chino Hills was also thrown out by a few students who were there on my interview day. Because of traffic, I’d say you want to stay away from cities west of pomona ( specifically Azusa, Glendora). Traffic is terrible at all times of the day on the 210 around there. You can be stuck in traffic for an hour and only go 5 miles. It’s rough.
Yeah it's just that some of the "pet friendly" places have size limits and breed restrictions and I looked at the portal but all of them are a room in a unit not the whole unit. That will probably change in the next few months though.

Thanks for the recommendations on locations!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah it's just that some of the "pet friendly" places have size limits and breed restrictions and I looked at the portal but all of them are a room in a unit not the whole unit. That will probably change in the next few months though.

Thanks for the recommendations on locations!

Agh. It was worth a try.

I have no idea why huskies aren’t allowed though in most apartments. The only thing I can think of is if the apartment complexes deem them “aggressive” breeds. But, they’re very sweet dogs and sometimes clumsy.

I’ll keep a lookout for husky friendly apartments while I’m on my search and I’ll let you know if I find anything.

I wish you the best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agh. It was worth a try.

I have no idea why huskies aren’t allowed though in most apartments. The only thing I can think of is if the apartment complexes deem them “aggressive” breeds. But, they’re very sweet dogs and sometimes clumsy.

I’ll keep a lookout for husky friendly apartments while I’m on my search and I’ll let you know if I find anything.

I wish you the best of luck!
from my understanding (im a local from socal as well) california deemed that huskies have to many similar characteristics to wolves and therefore are considered threatening to smaller dogs or people with children. HOWEVER, those that have animals on the breed restriction list can request to do a pet interview with the complex. if your animal ends up passing the interview (friendly, good with kids/dogs, etc.) you could bring the dog in.

Reactions: 1 users
from my understanding (im a local from socal as well) california deemed that huskies have to many similar characteristics to wolves and therefore are considered threatening to smaller dogs or people with children. HOWEVER, those that have animals on the breed restriction list can request to do a pet interview with the complex. if your animal ends up passing the interview (friendly, good with kids/dogs, etc.) you could bring the dog in.
That's definitely something I will look into if I can't find any good options! He doesn't even talk unless we get him riled up and loves everyone/everything.

Hi everyone! I'm an alternate for Western and was wondering if anyone knows how many alternates are typically accepted. In my letter and on their website, Western says that this number varies from year to year so they won't tell us our chances, but I'm kind of desperate for any kind of ballpark estimate. If anyone has an idea for how many people are alternates in total and how many typically get off the list, I would be grateful!

They also said that they won't rank us and will instead consider every alternate should a spot open up, but what's the difference between this and just ranking us and making a list? It sounds like they're ranking us later rather than before and making more work for themselves. Thanks!

Hi everyone! I'm an alternate for Western and was wondering if anyone knows how many alternates are typically accepted. In my letter and on their website, Western says that this number varies from year to year so they won't tell us our chances, but I'm kind of desperate for any kind of ballpark estimate. If anyone has an idea for how many people are alternates in total and how many typically get off the list, I would be grateful!

They also said that they won't rank us and will instead consider every alternate should a spot open up, but what's the difference between this and just ranking us and making a list? It sounds like they're ranking us later rather than before and making more work for themselves. Thanks!

I’m an alternate too and called to ask about the number of people on the waitlist. I was told 150-175, but that the number is usually lower once April rolls around. I’m not sure about the number of people offered acceptances, but I would guess about 200 based off of last year’s thread. They still pulled several people off of the waitlist though (judging by comments in the thread).

Last edited:
They don't rank because that's not how they decide to pull you off the wait list. When someone declines their spot they will go to the wait list and look for a candidate with similar traits/background. They didn't specify what that means exactly but I assume they'd be looking for someone with similar experiences, interview evaluations, GPA, etc. Because they do PBL they want a healthy mix of students from various backgrounds. It's not who has the highest whatever, it's who would balance the scale based on what they're missing.

Plenty of people will decline their spot and the wait list does move. This is because Western is going to be more expensive than any in state option, so a lot of people who get into their in state will decline their seat at Western. Some people may even get calls the week of orientation (it's happened in the past) because an accepted student will get pulled of a wait list at another school. I wouldn't expect to be told more until after April. They will not pull from the list before then or share much info based on previous years.

Also, David Tennant is still the best doctor

Reactions: 2 users
They don't rank because that's not how they decide to pull you off the wait list. When someone declines their spot they will go to the wait list and look for a candidate with similar traits/background. They didn't specify what that means exactly but I assume they'd be looking for someone with similar experiences, interview evaluations, GPA, etc. Because they do PBL they want a healthy mix of students from various backgrounds. It's not who has the highest whatever, it's who would balance the scale based on what they're missing.

Plenty of people will decline their spot and the wait list does move. This is because Western is going to be more expensive than any in state option, so a lot of people who get into their in state will decline their seat at Western. Some people may even get calls the week of orientation (it's happened in the past) because an accepted student will get pulled of a wait list at another school. I wouldn't expect to be told more until after April. They will not pull from the list before then or share much info based on previous years.

Also, David Tennant is still the best doctor

Thank you so much for explaining this!! I was so confused! Let's hope someone exactly like me decides to accept a seat somewhere else :) Also, David is amazing!! It's hard for me to pick a favorite since I think every actor brought so much to the character of the Doctor, but David was definitely super excellent.

Thank you so much for explaining this!! I was so confused! Let's hope someone exactly like me decides to accept a seat somewhere else :) Also, David is amazing!! It's hard for me to pick a favorite since I think every actor brought so much to the character of the Doctor, but David was definitely super excellent.
I've enjoyed the others but definitely not as emotionally attached to them as I am Tennant lol. I hope everything works out, it'd be nice to have a fellow doctor who fan around

Hey guys! I got an acceptance somewhere else so I will be declining my spot as soon as I get the paperwork officially :)
I hope this means that someone else can get this spot!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys! I got an acceptance somewhere else so I will be declining my spot as soon as I get the paperwork officially :)
I hope this means that someone else can get this spot!!!

Congrats! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have officially accepted my seat and submitted my deposit. This is so surreal and I'm SO EXCITED!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys! I’m on the waitlist but will be withdrawing my application since I’m accepting an offer at Penn. I hear that Western picks people from the waitlist based off of which accepted applicants decline the offer. So if you’re a male from the east coast and you decline the spot, they’ll pick a male from the east coast. Something along those lines, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I’m a guy from the east coast so hopefully that gives someone else a shot!

Reactions: 4 users
Haha definitely how I'd describe my husky. He's crate trained and has never been destructive. Plus, how could anyone see this face and think "aggressive?"

Thank you, definitely let me know if you happen upon anything. Best of luck!View attachment 247998

I used to live in the Helix as a first year and we had huskies, Rottweilers, Pit bulls, Akitas etc. I would look there because the landlord just wants to meet your animal to make sure they are nice and some of the dogs were large. Also, everything is included in the rent minus electricity!

I used to live in the Helix as a first year and we had huskies, Rottweilers, Pit bulls, Akitas etc. I would look there because the landlord just wants to meet your animal to make sure they are nice and some of the dogs were large. Also, everything is included in the rent minus electricity!

Would you recommend Helix as a possible first-year living possibility? I know that and the Daum and 777 are overpriced, but I don’t want to go too far from campus my first year while I’m adjusting and learning how to study again (moving from East Coast after 1 gap year).

Would you recommend Helix as a possible first-year living possibility? I know that and the Daum and 777 are overpriced, but I don’t want to go too far from campus my first year while I’m adjusting and learning how to study again (moving from East Coast after 1 gap year).

Yes I would. As long as you don't want a pool or large exercise room, I think it's a good option. I enjoyed living there and I liked my neighbors. It's also the cheapest apartment out of the three (daum, 777, and helix) and most people spend like 30 or less on electricity. No dishwasher though, but I still recommend it out of the other ones.

Yes I would. As long as you don't want a pool or large exercise room, I think it's a good option. I enjoyed living there and I liked my neighbors. It's also the cheapest apartment out of the three (daum, 777, and helix) and most people spend like 30 or less on electricity. No dishwasher though, but I still recommend it out of the other ones.

Thank you for this! I have a few follow-up questions:
When do they typically start leasing and is it competitive?

What areas/cities do students usually live in? Any recommendations? Trying to research apartments and such just in case I get pulled off waitlist so I could be a little prepared.

Hi guys! I'm planning on applying to Western U as soon as applications open, but their WesternU Preview is in March! I'm from New York and still in school, so getting there will be a little bit stressful, but does anyone highly recommend going? As long as it works around my midterms I would love to visit, but if it doesn't really matter much/isn't that great of a preview day/anything else, I wouldn't bother spending all the money to get there and stay there

Thank you for this! I have a few follow-up questions:
When do they typically start leasing and is it competitive?

When I moved in, Patty (the landlord) told me that there is usually 50% of the apartment available at the end of the year since most students move elsewhere. Most students seem to move in between June and August although I would recommend not waiting until the last minute. I would say it's competitive, but there are so many open apartments that I've never met anyone who said "I wanted to live in the helix, but it was full" so I think you are fine!

What areas/cities do students usually live in? Any recommendations? Trying to research apartments and such just in case I get pulled off waitlist so I could be a little prepared.

Well Pomona for convenience, but there are so many close places within 5 or so minutes. I would recommend Montclair, Claremont, Upland, Ontario (seems to have some cheaper housing), Rancho (more expensive, but nice) for apartments. I would stay away from Chino and Chino hills as they are very expensive. The nice thing about this area is the neighboring town is 5 minutes away so living in Ontario might mean a 10 minute drive with cheaper rent. Just make sure you do your homework about places to stay and ask what's included in rent, always!

Hi guys! I'm planning on applying to Western U as soon as applications open, but their WesternU Preview is in March! I'm from New York and still in school, so getting there will be a little bit stressful, but does anyone highly recommend going? As long as it works around my midterms I would love to visit, but if it doesn't really matter much/isn't that great of a preview day/anything else, I wouldn't bother spending all the money to get there and stay there

I think that they have some videos online, and if you get an interview, you will have to fly out then and you’ll get a tour of the campus etc at that time.
It’s really up to you, but if you know you’re going to apply (vs trying to decide if you want to apply), I don’t think it’s worth it. That’s a long ass flight.
That being said, if you do fly out, let me know! I’m in LA and I went to school in Claremont so I’d be happy to meet another bird-y friend and show you around the area!

Well Pomona for convenience, but there are so many close places within 5 or so minutes. I would recommend Montclair, Claremont, Upland, Ontario (seems to have some cheaper housing), Rancho (more expensive, but nice) for apartments. I would stay away from Chino and Chino hills as they are very expensive. The nice thing about this area is the neighboring town is 5 minutes away so living in Ontario might mean a 10 minute drive with cheaper rent. Just make sure you do your homework about places to stay and ask what's included in rent, always!

Thank you SO much for all this info, super helpful!!

I heard there’s a facebook group for the class for roommates to advertise/etc, do you know when we get added to that? I already committed and made my WesternU email address, so I’m anxious to get things going lol

Thank you SO much for all this info, super helpful!!

I heard there’s a facebook group for the class for roommates to advertise/etc, do you know when we get added to that? I already committed and made my WesternU email address, so I’m anxious to get things going lol

You can join the WesternU facebook group using your email and then join your corresponding DVM class as well as other DVM Class groups.
But I think the 2023 group page is still relatively empty at the moment and probably wont fill up until a couple months down the line.

Current WesternU students - what are your thoughts on housing? I'm considering the Daumier for convenience, but am seeing terrible reviews. Best housing options in Pomona vs housing in surrounding cities?

Anyone have an update on any waitlist movement?

I don’t believe they’ll call anyone until after the commitment deadline in April.

I will be declining my waitlist spot for another school, good luck everyone!!

I spoke with Karen and she said you will absolutely start hearing after April 15th. Not before then. Unless you mean have people who were accepted declined their spot. In which case yes, I know several people who were accepted which declined their spots. I was waitlisted and declined my spot too.

I just called Alexandra Higgins today and she said we won't hear before Mid-May :( That's so far! I really hope they get moving sooner!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else having difficulties joining the WesternU Facebook group? When I click the “confirm email” link I get an error message that reads: Sorry, something went wrong.
Please try closing and re-opening your browser window. And yes, I have already tried closing and re-opening my browser window, lol.

Anyone else having difficulties joining the WesternU Facebook group? When I click the “confirm email” link I get an error message that reads: Sorry, something went wrong.
Please try closing and re-opening your browser window. And yes, I have already tried closing and re-opening my browser window, lol.

Yes ME!!! I’m glad it’s not just me. I have been meaning to post about it. I’m wondering if maybe it’s so early that our emails aren’t quite active yet? I’m not entirely sure. I was waiting it out before contacting someone about it, I just keep trying over and over lol

Yes ME!!! I’m glad it’s not just me. I have been meaning to post about it. I’m wondering if maybe it’s so early that our emails aren’t quite active yet? I’m not entirely sure. I was waiting it out before contacting someone about it, I just keep trying over and over lol

The community or the actual DVM group??

I got the same error response until I added my WesternU email to my Facebook account as a back up email. After that it let me join. After you join the WesternU group you can join the class pages. Except for 2023, it's not open yet.

I got the same error response until I added my WesternU email to my Facebook account as a back up email. After that it let me join. After you join the WesternU group you can join the class pages. Except for 2023, it's not open yet.

The DVM 2023 class page in the WesternU community group is already made!

Thank you this was helpful! Now I’m in the group I think, but the page is blank. It says I’m a member and shows me the other members, but I just see “New Activity” and then nothing. Anyone else..?

Thank you this was helpful! Now I’m in the group I think, but the page is blank. It says I’m a member and shows me the other members, but I just see “New Activity” and then nothing. Anyone else..?

Mine just states "pending request" to the group. I'm confirmed in the "Western community" though.

Does anyone have any FAFSA advice for those of us that are waitlisted? Seeing as how the priority deadline is 3/2.

Does anyone have any FAFSA advice for those of us that are waitlisted? Seeing as how the priority deadline is 3/2.

Are you asking if you should do it or not? My guess would be yes, it’s free so it wouldn’t hurt you at all. I did mine in October when it came out and sent it to all schools before I even got interview invites

Are you asking if you should do it or not? My guess would be yes, it’s free so it wouldn’t hurt you at all. I did mine in October when it came out and sent it to all schools before I even got interview invites

Thank you :) I wasn't sure how to proceed.

Update: I was just added to the FB group! This was a screenshot I meant to post along with my previous post. But, it gives the name of the group!

Attachments

• B02D7998-004C-46CC-94EC-C0D8483231F7.jpeg
    B02D7998-004C-46CC-94EC-C0D8483231F7.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 84
Just submitted my deposit! Can't wait to meet everyone who is going! Question about loans - has anyone been in contact with financial aid about the cost of attendance budget? Since it's set up for 10 months, I'm concerned about not having enough to cover expenses for the whole year (plus what do we do about other bills such as car payments?).

Just curious... does anyone know whether people are rejected after interview at Western? Or do all 400+ interviewers get accepted or waitlisted? (that is a nerve-wracking amount of people)

Just curious... does anyone know whether people are rejected after interview at Western? Or do all 400+ interviewers get accepted or waitlisted? (that is a nerve-wracking amount of people)

Someone asked this question the day I had my interview. One of the staff members told my group that everyone who was invited to interview is essentially qualified and that they rarely send out rejections.

I'd love to get to know some of my future classmates! Is anyone interested in making a group me or something to get to know eachother if you've already accepted your seat?
Also looking for housing options and potential roommates (female) :)

Someone asked this question the day I had my interview. One of the staff members told my group that everyone who was invited to interview is essentially qualified and that they rarely send out rejections.

That kind of makes me feel better! Like... they think I'm qualified. Grasping at straws here hahahaha

That kind of makes me feel better! Like... they think I'm qualified. Grasping at straws here hahahaha
I FEEL YOU!! :laugh:
I just can't help but wonder how many never heard back that were on the waitlist last year.