You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Western c/o 2023
Started by KDeVore
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I FEEL YOU!!![]()
I just can't help but wonder how many never heard back that were on the waitlist last year.
Right?! Sometimes (all the time) I wish it were a part of VMCAS applications to be automatically signed up for a forum like SDN so that we could get the most accurate updates. Like, last year's Western SDN thread said that only about 6 people got off the waitlist... but I'm really really hoping there were more who we just didn't hear about. Or people who got calls and didn't accept (hence more than 6 got off of the waitlist, but 6 accepted). I just wanna know!!
I'd be down to do this. I tried to send you a private message but it wouldn't let me.I'd love to get to know some of my future classmates! Is anyone interested in making a group me or something to get to know eachother if you've already accepted your seat?
Also looking for housing options and potential roommates (female) 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just had to update some privacy settings to allow messaging. Do you know if your settings are set for that also?I'd be down to do this. I tried to send you a private message but it wouldn't let me.
clr12
Full Member
Hi guys! Western U right now is my #1 school, and I was wondering if you guys had any advice! I'm a senior in college right now, but I'm a non-traditional student and need to take another year to take more prerequisite classes at a local college. I'm a sociology major with a biology minor and I still need to take Orgo 1+2, Physics 1+2, microbiology, and biochem. I have over 1,000 hours of experience (the only thing I'm missing is large animal, but I'm trying to get some this summer. I'm applying to start in Fall of 2020, but if I don't get in (which i know is likely- i want to be realistic) is it recommended to get my Masters before applying again or keep working/getting experience? Does anyone recommend doing anything (reaching out to professors, visiting the school, etc...) before applications begin in May?
Thanks everyone and congrats !!
Thanks everyone and congrats !!
Hi guys! Western U right now is my #1 school, and I was wondering if you guys had any advice! I'm a senior in college right now, but I'm a non-traditional student and need to take another year to take more prerequisite classes at a local college. I'm a sociology major with a biology minor and I still need to take Orgo 1+2, Physics 1+2, microbiology, and biochem. I have over 1,000 hours of experience (the only thing I'm missing is large animal, but I'm trying to get some this summer. I'm applying to start in Fall of 2020, but if I don't get in (which i know is likely- i want to be realistic) is it recommended to get my Masters before applying again or keep working/getting experience? Does anyone recommend doing anything (reaching out to professors, visiting the school, etc...) before applications begin in May?
Thanks everyone and congrats !!
Western only looks at the highest grade taken for a course, so I would say it would probably be better/cheaper to retake some courses than going for a Master’s (and then gaining more experience is always good too!). Good luck to you! 🙂
Hey, guys. How do I find the Facebook groups. I tried searching for them, but can’t find them. Maybe it’s my connection... idk
I know Instagram and FAcebook have been down the entire day! I can post the internet address once Facebook is up and running again
Here’s the address to the group. Make sure you’ve added your email address to your profile so you can access the western community on fB.
I’ve joined the WesternU community months ago and I still only see ~3 posts and I requested to join the group you posted months ago and still am not in! My WesternU email is linked to my account and I have submitted my seat confirmation and deposit
I’ve joined the WesternU community months ago and I still only see ~3 posts and I requested to join the group you posted months ago and still am not in! My WesternU email is linked to my account and I have submitted my seat confirmation and deposit
Weird. Are those three posts for like a specific group(s)?
Now I'm trying to figure out how I slipped into the DVM class. It's truly a party. Me and two staff members.
I did the same thing as you did. But, my actual FB school is set to "is attending Western U." Maybe the admin saw that thinking I'm a current student and let me slip by.
Drehearts
Full Member
Has anyone had any success getting any new details on waitlist movement from the admissions office? Obv they wont start pulling people off until after the 15th but I am curious to know if they are at least able to let us know how many people remain on the waitlist and/or how many people have accepted seats thus far.
Nooo they haven’t said anything, it’s my understanding that we likely won’t hear anything until May 🙁Has anyone had any success getting any new details on waitlist movement from the admissions office? Obv they wont start pulling people off until after the 15th but I am curious to know if they are at least able to let us know how many people remain on the waitlist and/or how many people have accepted seats thus far.
Question to current or former students: I know western has their vet med center that sees routine appointments/basic elective surgeries and then for more advanced procedure the students will go to affiliate hospitals. One thing I’m worried about is not getting enough experience having to go through affiliate hospitals due to their own liability issues and not wanting to make students a priority. Is this an issue for anyone current/former? Or are the affiliates courteous to students/provide a good learning environment? Do you guys feel like the experience level here is comparable to other schools with their own large teaching hospital? At the end of the day I love Western and would love to go here, but this is just something I’ve been wanting to know more about! If possible, an unbiased response would be greatly appreciated![]()
I'm a current 2nd year, going on 3rd and from what I gather from upperclassmen, getting experience with affiliates has been a great experience preparing you for the reality of clinics that may not have all the bells and whistles that large teaching hospitals do. As far as having actual hands on experience, I have friends both in schools with large teaching hospitals and at WesternU, and the response is the same -- it depends on your preceptor. Some preceptors allow you to do everything while others just allow you to shadow them. I don't think there's a consensus by school, but rather more by discipline, if that makes sense. I know that in my 2 years of experience, WesternU preceptors tend to allow us to do more than what my other 2nd year counterparts do in other schools. Hope this helps!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, I'm looking for advice on housing if there are any current students here. I have a border collie and husky that will be coming with me. I've seen on various apartment websites that they won't allow huskies. Does anyone have experience finding housing in the area that doesn't have these restrictions or is it a common thing in California? (I'm from the East coast)
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile
Hi! Current 2nd year here... the apartments affiliated with the school all allow pets and there are no breed limitations, however, there may be limits on how many animals you can have. I lived at the Daumier and while they said there was a 50lb limit on animals, they weren't too strict about it. Several of my classmates also have huskies and didn't have trouble finding a place to live.
On another note, I know it's a little annoying that the c/o 2023 page isn't active because I know a bunch of people in my class and others looking for people to fill rooms in their houses for the upcoming year.
Just accepted my seat at Western! Can't wait to meet all of you! 

D
deleted955210
Hey, what was the date all prereqs needed to be complete by? I'm currently waitlisted and holding out hope that I'll get accepted, so I'm finishing up that one last class I needed.
Pretty sure we need finalized transcripts by June 1st.
For prereqs the class itself has to be completed no later than June 16. I believe the transcript deadlines are June 1 if your class finishes in May, and either June 30 or July 1 *only if your class runs past the June 1 deadline*. I’m 95% sure those dates are right but I am going off of memory. If anyone has the booklet they gave us at interviews I think it’s listed in that to confirm, I don’t have mine with me at the moment.
Anybody know of any good single room apartments that are not in Pomona, but close by? Like Ontario or Chino Hill (I think that's where some students said they lived). I will have a car so it doesn't matter if it's a bit far, but I was told by A LOT of students that Pomona can be a bit sketchy.
Any area, apartment or house recommendations are welcome!
Any area, apartment or house recommendations are welcome!
Is anyone going to take the plunge and email Karen Hutton-Lopez about how many seats are left after today? I know that they usually send out a mass email to all alternates, but I'm SO anxious! I really really want to know!
Drehearts
Full Member
Hoping they update us too...Last I heard they had 152 alternates confirmed in the pool and 109 confirmed students in the class with approximately 100 offers outstanding.Is anyone going to take the plunge and email Karen Hutton-Lopez about how many seats are left after today? I know that they usually send out a mass email to all alternates, but I'm SO anxious! I really really want to know!
Hoping they update us too...Last I heard they had 152 alternates confirmed in the pool and 109 confirmed students in the class with approximately 100 offers outstanding.
Where did you hear this? They refused to give me any numbers! Also... aren't there only 105 spots? 🙁
Hoping they update us too...Last I heard they had 152 alternates confirmed in the pool and 109 confirmed students in the class with approximately 100 offers outstanding.
I’m not feeling too hopeful with those numbers, but I’m trying to think positively! It’ll be my motivation to take this year’s apps super seriously because I will likely have to be applying again!
Drehearts
Full Member
That’s how I felt when I got the news. But I’m staying positive as well! In past years there’s been a lot of movement and seems like a lot of people on the waitlist thread have already been accepted someplace but are still holding multiple waitlist spots just in case. Don’t lose hope just yet! 😉I’m not feeling too hopeful with those numbers, but I’m trying to think positively! It’ll be my motivation to take this year’s apps super seriously because I will likely have to be applying again!
I emailed the office a couple of weeks ago. Maybe they’re just not giving numbers out rn because of the timing. Or maybe it means they’ll be sending an update soon? And yes, I believe their class size is 105.
Oh, sad 🙁 🙁 🙁
So I took the plunge and called Karen today! She said that yes, the class is full, and there are 146 alternates as of yesterday. HOWEVER, she also said that pretty much every single application cycle, they are full on April 15th and the numbers start to decline as soon as the end of the month as people are pulled off other waitlists. Basically she said that she WAS expecting on offering admission to at least a few amount of alternates, and we shall see how many as the months go by. So... more waiting! Good luck to everyone!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I took the plunge and called Karen today! She said that yes, the class is full, and there are 146 alternates as of yesterday. HOWEVER, she also said that pretty much every single application cycle, they are full on April 15th and the numbers start to decline as soon as the end of the month as people are pulled off other waitlists. Basically she said that she WAS expecting on offering admission to at least a few amount of alternates, and we shall see how many as the months go by. So... more waiting! Good luck to everyone!
Yeah there’s a lot of people who will wait on other schools that are less expensive. I accepted my seat at Western, but if I get pulled from MSU’s waitlist I will be releasing my seat.
So I took the plunge and called Karen today! She said that yes, the class is full, and there are 146 alternates as of yesterday. HOWEVER, she also said that pretty much every single application cycle, they are full on April 15th and the numbers start to decline as soon as the end of the month as people are pulled off other waitlists. Basically she said that she WAS expecting on offering admission to at least a few amount of alternates, and we shall see how many as the months go by. So... more waiting! Good luck to everyone!
Thanks for calling!! Good luck to you too!
Drehearts
Full Member
Thanks for following up! The waiting game continues 😀So I took the plunge and called Karen today! She said that yes, the class is full, and there are 146 alternates as of yesterday. HOWEVER, she also said that pretty much every single application cycle, they are full on April 15th and the numbers start to decline as soon as the end of the month as people are pulled off other waitlists. Basically she said that she WAS expecting on offering admission to at least a few amount of alternates, and we shall see how many as the months go by. So... more waiting! Good luck to everyone!
I was just told that they accepted to many students and my enrollment is being deferred to 2020. I’m in complete shock.
I’m so sorry 🙁I was just told that they accepted to many students and my enrollment is being deferred to 2020. I’m in complete shock.
That terrible. Are they offering anything for the forced deferment? Some schools do IS tuition (which I know Western doesn’t do IS vs OOS) and some do a free masters or at least *something* if they’re making people defer.
Crossing my fingers for MSU’s waitlist for you. What number are you at so far?
I’m so sorry 🙁
That terrible. Are they offering anything for the forced deferment? Some schools do IS tuition (which I know Western doesn’t do IS vs OOS) and some do a free masters or at least *something* if they’re making people defer.
Crossing my fingers for MSU’s waitlist for you. What number are you at so far?
They didn’t offer anything. At all. They acted in the email like it was no big deal. My husband and I have already sold our house! I’m just in disbelief. They said I’m in 19th place to get a seat.
I was originally 36 at MSU, and 29 was pulled off today. So I should be single digits by now. I’m just praying it comes through. I am legitimately sick to my stomach.
Wow what the ****. Do you at least get your deposit back?!?!They didn’t offer anything. At all. They acted in the email like it was no big deal. My husband and I have already sold our house! I’m just in disbelief. They said I’m in 19th place to get a seat.
I was originally 36 at MSU, and 29 was pulled off today. So I should be single digits by now. I’m just praying it comes through. I am legitimately sick to my stomach.
And I’m crossing my fingers for you for MSU<3
I received this as well :/I was just told that they accepted to many students and my enrollment is being deferred to 2020. I’m in complete shock.
Wow what the ****. Do you at least get your deposit back?!?!
And I’m crossing my fingers for you for MSU<3
They didn’t say anything about the deposits. I mean I feel that’s the least they could do. 🙁
Thank you so much
I received this as well :/
I’m sorry. I feel ya. What number were you?
#9. I’ll PM youI’m sorry. I feel ya. What number were you?
Oh my goodness that is so, so awful. 🙁
I’m literally in shock. This is so horrible! I’m so sorry you’re going through this.I was just told that they accepted to many students and my enrollment is being deferred to 2020. I’m in complete shock.
I was just told that they accepted to many students and my enrollment is being deferred to 2020. I’m in complete shock.
Holy... I am so so so sorry. I really hope you get off the other waitlist soon! My goodness...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am also wondering this.Is this something that’s happened before? Not at Western I mean, but other schools? This seems pretty unprecedented.
It's not uncommon for schools to send out more offers than seats. But it is unusual that more accept than there are seats. A large amount usually decline to go to their in state.Is this something that’s happened before? Not at Western I mean, but other schools? This seems pretty unprecedented.
From what I’ve heard, when schools over-accept, there can of course sometimes be more people in a class than they wanted. However, I’ve only seen the school deal with it and just accommodate a larger class size. Going all the way back to the late 90’s, I know a vet who went to Penn and there were 130+ in her class (usually just over 120). It was a little cramped in some places like the anatomy lab, but they made it work. It just seems crazy to me that a school would over-accept so much that, from the way it sounds, over 20 people are being deferred. I’m not doubting it’s ever happened at all. I’m just wondering when and where it’s happened.It's not uncommon for schools to send out more offers than seats. But it is unusual that more accept than there are seats. A large amount usually decline to go to their in state.
Yeah, I'm not sure.From what I’ve heard, when schools over-accept, there can of course sometimes be more people in a class than they wanted. However, I’ve only seen the school deal with it and just accommodate a larger class size. Going all the way back to the late 90’s, I know a vet who went to Penn and there were 130+ in her class (usually just over 120). It was a little cramped in some places like the anatomy lab, but they made it work. It just seems crazy to me that a school would over-accept so much that, from the way it sounds, over 20 people are being deferred. I’m not doubting it’s ever happened at all. I’m just wondering when and where it’s happened.