This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epaybe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

The pre-health advisers at my school are terrible. I was hoping for some advice (and maybe some encouragement) from people here. I am currently a senior in a Texas university. I will be taking an extra semester. My cGPA is 3.49 currently with sGPA at around 3.3, with a strong upward trend from freshman year (2.6). I am taking upper level courses but I am reaching my 150 hour limit. I have about 1 semester of research experience, 2 years of volunteering at Texas Scottish Rite, and about a year at Baylor. I also have 1 semester of LIFT (teaching English literacy to immigrants) and 1 semester of TA for genetics. I have about 400 hours of volunteering and plane to add more. I plan to TA more for a lab section next semester and do additional volunteering and research. I also plan to take the MCAT in the fall. I know i am below average for a medschool applicant but I has hoping that I could make up for it with ECs, a strong MCAT and an upward trend in GPA.

A little background: I was born in a foreign country, (though technically I'm white) and attended first grade without knowing any English. I was home-schooled for the last 2 years of high-school. the transition to university was not easy, as I was also struggling with depression. I was originally doing a bio-medical engineering degree but switched to psychology and child development dual degree. I have Cs in calculus, statistics, gen chem I and II (but As in the labs), B+ in Bio II, A- in Biochem, Bs in 2 neuroscience classes, D in programming fundamentals (from my time as biomed engineering) and As in every other science course and all psychology courses.

I am a member of a psychology honors association (Psi Chi), though it is not active on my campus so I may be able to start it up again and have some leadership role in that. I was also a recipient of a full ride scholarship.

Sorry for the text wall. I was wondering what my chances are like for Texas schools. My first choice is Baylor but I don't know if that is realistic or even possible. I have friends who have gone to top schools with similar GPAs but great ECs and MCAT. But I don't know how I stack up to my batch of applicants (2017) or if I can compensate for my GPA. Is there any chance? Are the big schools out of reach? What can I do to be more competitive? Any advice would be helpful (certainly more than my school's advisers have been). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances are unknown until you have your MCAT score. I assume you will be applying for the class matriculating in the fall of 2018 since a fall MCAT in 2017 would be too late for the application cycle starting this June. If your MCAT is at least 508 and your GPA improves you would have a chance for TX schools.