This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Just gave my seat up, hope someone gets it :)

If you never deposited, then you never took up a seat, to my mind. I'm basing my numbers off of the c/o 2017 roster. God knows how many acceptances they have out right now, lol.

HI everyone,

I am planning to apply for this September 2013 at NYCPM; I graduated with a 3.44cGPA in 2012. However, my overall GPA from all 4 yrs is around a 3.27 as I did transfer. My sGPA for all 4 yrs is a 3.1. My MCAT from 2011 was a 19Q and I am re-taking it this MAY. I have over 1000 hours of volunteering and shadowing in the ER as a scribe; and have shadowed a POD all last summer. I have 3 academic LOR 's and 2 physician LOR's (not POD's). I have done 1 internship in oncology and 2 medical research projects at the hospital. My GPA has shown a upward trend all 4 yrs.

NYCPM is the only school I would be applying to. Should I wait and apply for January or go ahead and apply for this year?

I would call the school and ask about the 19 MCAT. All else looks REALLY good.

If I were in your position I would apply now. It's not a ton of money and if you get in you don't have to worry about another MCAT.

Long time lurker of the forums, but I decided to finally make an account. First and foremost, I thank everyone that has contributed their share of wisdom, ideas, and insights as this was a valuable asset into my journey towards gaining acceptance into pod school. I was accepted to Scholl as of today, and I still have 4 more interviews lined up - CSPM, Temple, Kent, and Barry. I was a late applicant, submitted on 2/27/2013 and verified 3/6/2013. As others have mentioned on these forums and I'll echo what they said again - never ever give up if you truly believe this is the arduous journey you want to embark on, only you can stop yourself from reaching the end. If you would like to know my stats, feel free to PM and I'll do my best to help you/others that are also busy with the process!

Long time lurker of the forums, but I decided to finally make an account. First and foremost, I thank everyone that has contributed their share of wisdom, ideas, and insights as this was a valuable asset into my journey towards gaining acceptance into pod school. I was accepted to Scholl as of today, and I still have 4 more interviews lined up - CSPM, Temple, Kent, and Barry. I was a late applicant, submitted on 2/27/2013 and verified 3/6/2013. As others have mentioned on these forums and I'll echo what they said again - never ever give up if you truly believe this is the arduous journey you want to embark on, only you can stop yourself from reaching the end. If you would like to know my stats, feel free to PM and I'll do my best to help you/others that are also busy with the process!

Congrats on your acceptance! Good luck on the rest of your interviews!

Cum GPA of 3.1 Science GPA of 3.0 Letters of recommendation from 2 DPMs, research experience, volunteer in hospital for 4 years. Have not taken practice MCAT yet but scored 20 on 1st full length practice. Top schools are Barry, Temple, NYCPM

Both GPAs are close to average. An MCAT of 20 will put you slightly below the matriculant average. Apply early, score >24 and you should score somewhere.

With your gpas and an mcat score of 20, youll def get in to those schools.

the average MCAT is a 21-24 depending on the school. Temple and NYCPM both have an average mcat of 23 but your GPAS are slightly lower than the average for those schools. Barry you should be right around the average.

I would try and do well on the MCAT, even though it isnt that necessary you will feel a lot more confident in your interviews if you know your MCAT is above average.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

So to get to the point. I am a non-trad who graduated in 2002 with a 2.2 ogpa and maybe a 2.4 sgpa. I really didn't care about school had many W's, F's and D's. I'll agree it was because I was lazy and did not care. So, I worked for 3 years and then went to uni to finish my prereqs for the last year and a half. Now, my ogpa is 2.5 and sgpa is 3.3 and the post bacc gpa is 3.66. (2 bio, 2 chem, 2 orgo, 2 phys, 1 human anat., calc, stats) I hope to take the mcat soon and score relatively above average. I am a good test taker and have done well so far in the prereqs. I registered to take human anat 2, microbio, and genetics at a cc to save some money now for next semester. I have so-so ECs (tutoring, research, work exp, volunteering) and about 20hrs shadowing.

Any advice? Chances? Score I should aim for? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
aim for 25+ and you won't have to worry about anything.

Remember you need to overcome a really bad cGPA. Therefore, you need to set your goals higher. Don't just aim for average. Try to get an amazing MCAT score not only to assure yourself of an acceptance somewhere, but also to convince yourself that you'll be able to hack it once you're in.)

3.06 cGPA
2.73sGPA
(without grade replacement):(

Work as pharmacy tech - 1 year
Held part time job in private lab for 2 semesters 20 hrs/week
Hospital Volunteer experience and leadership
Strong upward grade trend
Straight A's/ deans list twice

25R Mcat,

planning on applying in april for fall, I am getting a little worried about my chances. Thoughts?

I posted earlier and I just wanted to give an update for anyone with similar stats. I applied and within a week I received interview invites to all but 2 schools. At this time my LORs still aren't in (waiting on letter writers). I went to two interviews and I haven't heard back from one. Kent state emailed me the next day after the interview offering acceptance on the condition that they recieve my LORs. I also received a hefty scholarship from them.

Last edited:
I posted earlier and I just wanted to give an update for anyone with similar stats. I applied and within a week I received interview invites to all but 2 schools. At this time my LORs still aren't in (waiting on letter writers). I went to two interviews and I haven't heard back from one. Kent state emailed me the next day after the interview offering acceptance on the condition that they recieve my LORs. I also received a hefty scholarship from them that makes me rethink my top choice.

How is this even possible? I mean no offense when I say, how did that sGPA applying at this time receive a scholarship? At this point I'm hesitant to believe the matriculant averages posted by the schools.

And just for reference, my GPA was not far off from yours before retakes, so while I'm shocked, I'm also cautiously optimistic.

How is this even possible? I mean no offense when I say, how did that sGPA applying at this time receive a scholarship? At this point I'm hesitant to believe the matriculant averages posted by the schools.

And just for reference, my GPA was not far off from yours before retakes, so while I'm shocked, I'm also cautiously optimistic.

I had a VERY strong upward trend.

To be honest I was so surprised with the scholarship. I walked out of the interview thinking I wasn't even going to get in.

Last edited:
I had a VERY strong upward trend.

To be honest I was so surprised with the scholarship. I walked out of the interview thinking I wasn't even going to get in.

Definitely the upward trend and solid grades in upper levels. Congratulations!

I was accepted to one school and they are awaiting my decision. They provide a window of 14 days to reply.

Unfortunately DMU says it will be 3 to 4 weeks before a decision is made. I really want to go to DMU, I loved the campus and I can see myself being successful and happy there. However I do not want to pass up acceptance at another school only to be denied.

A $1000 deposit is A LOT of money for me but I see no other option than to put it down.

My question is, if I put down the deposit at the school I was accepted to will DMU be notified and assume I am no longer interested?

:( This is really frustrating.

Tough choices!!

If I were in your shoes I would put down the deposit and hope for an acceptance for DMU. Though $1000 is tough to give up it would be terrible if you didn't have a spot at either school.

Maybe you can use some charm and squeeze another 7-10 days out of the deadline. Your call to the school be something like:

Admissions: Hello, how can I help you CDK3?
CDK3: No, how can I help you? Dinner? Movie?
Admissions: Dinner might be nice..
CDK3: Oh yeah.. How about another 10 days before I have to pay my deposit?

You know, something like that.

I was accepted to one school and they are awaiting my decision. They provide a window of 14 days to reply.

Unfortunately DMU says it will be 3 to 4 weeks before a decision is made. I really want to go to DMU, I loved the campus and I can see myself being successful and happy there. However I do not want to pass up acceptance at another school only to be denied.

A $1000 deposit is A LOT of money for me but I see no other option than to put it down.

My question is, if I put down the deposit at the school I was accepted to will DMU be notified and assume I am no longer interested?

:( This is really frustrating.

I don't want to discourage anyone from applying to DMU, because who knows how many people will drop out of the class before August starts opening up some seats, but I know that presently there no seats available based on the number of deposits there are.

Again, this is not to say "do not apply," because maybe an average of 10 people will drop due to double depositing, changing life goals, failing a prereq this semester, etc etc, but rather, if you get wait listed or denied it might not be because DMU didn't want you, but rather because we are simply full

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

That's really disappointing, I hoped I would get in as I really was impressed with the school and everyone I met there. It's the only school I interviewed at that expressed and interest in my ability to speak spanish and I was excited about the opportunities they offered their students.

Thank you for sharing that information, saves me from checking my email obsessively for the next few weeks.

I will be applying next cycle and taking the MCAT this summer. I was wondering what kind of MCAT score I should be aiming for to balance out a sGPA and cGPA of about 3.0 (might be able to pull it up to 3.1 with summer school). Naturally I will be aiming as high as possible but I wanted to get an idea for the range of score I would need to make me a competitive applicant. The schools I am interested in applying to are NYCPM, Kent, Barry, Scholl, and Temple.

20+ even though students with 18s and 19s have gotten in but the higher you aim, the more scholarship money youll receive.

if you aim low, you'll likely score low. Aim for 30. That said, given the nature of podiatry admissions, be satisfied with anything over 23.

20+ even though students with 18s and 19s have gotten in but the higher you aim, the more scholarship money youll receive.

nonsense, any applicant should be aiming for a 25+ MCAT score at least, even if they don't score that high. Scholarship money drastically increases with higher than average MCAT scores, and it helps especially to balance out GPA as well.

Side note, for future MCAT takers, if you aren't giving yourself adequate time to study for the test, make time. And do yourself a favor and TAKE A PREP COURSE. Yes, it is relatively easy to get accepted into a podiatry school, but scholarships can be huge with great scores, and it is not above anyone to obtain a great score. If you can't afford a $700-$2,000 course, get a small loan (if that really isn't an option, give yourself 3 months and immerse yourself in MCAT prep books at your public library). I guarantee the scholarship money received will easily cover the cost and save thousands of dollars more.

Thanks guys I will be dedicating my summer to the MCAT and summer school so hopefully I can score well on it.

On a side note I've been reading through the MCAT threads on the forum and have decided to not take a prep course but rather follow the sn2ed 3 month guide for studying for the MCAT. I have already gathered the materials for it (it draws from a variety of sources like BR, TBR, EK and more) and I believe that this should be sufficient enough to substitute for a prep course according to the testimonials.

Thanks guys I will be dedicating my summer to the MCAT and summer school so hopefully I can score well on it.

On a side note I've been reading through the MCAT threads on the forum and have decided to not take a prep course but rather follow the sn2ed 3 month guide for studying for the MCAT. I have already gathered the materials for it (it draws from a variety of sources like BR, TBR, EK and more) and I believe that this should be sufficient enough to substitute for a prep course according to the testimonials.
it'll be enough. i had a decent score just using EK by itself. you have to be self-disciplined though and stick to whatever study schedule you have planned. good luck!

So I'm applying now (about to submit app) after being waitlisted in Nov at 2 DO schools and nothing else :/

My stats are 3.2 and 31O, what are my chances at this point in the Pod cycle?

So I'm applying now (about to submit app) after being waitlisted in Nov at 2 DO schools and nothing else :/

My stats are 3.2 and 31O, what are my chances at this point in the Pod cycle?

If DO is what you want, why not retake a class or two to make yourself more competitive? Your MCAT is above average for DO and your GPA will fit nicely in the underdog thread.

Well, I didn't really want to wait another year. I was thinking if I could get into podiatry for this fall I would go for it. It's cheaper tuition wise and the pay is comparable to primary care

Depends on what schools you're planning on/have applied to.

I'm thinking of applying out of Western, NYPM, Temple, Scholl, CSPM, Barry, and OCPM. Which one of those do you think would still have spots?

The larger schools might have spots left. Try NYCPM.

Scholl and KSUCPM also take large classes that may not be full yet.

For those applying to Western, there should be about 15 spots left from what I was told by other students.

I got accepted with

cGPA: 3.1
sGPA: 3.7
MCAT: 28Q, 30

For those applying to Western, there should be about 15 spots left from what I was told by other students.

I got accepted with

That's great to hear! that's my top choice so hopefully the app processing doesn't take too long and those spots stay empty. Do you know how frequently they fill spots?

Any reason as to why spots are left so late in the game?

Wow. Not too late to apply now still?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

That's great to hear! that's my top choice so hopefully the app processing doesn't take too long and those spots stay empty. Do you know how frequently they fill spots?

Good luck!

I'm not sure. Are you from the area?

I got accepted with

15 of 50 seats are still open this late? Jeez!

All assumptions, my info could be completely wrong.

And I don't think Western cares if they meet the 50 cap.

Haha, okay.id be surprised if that we're the case!

And saying they don't care if they fill their class is the same as saying the don't care about $$...and there's no way that's true!

1. Schools you are applying to
DMU and Scholls I'm very interested in

2. cGPA/sGPA
3.39c / 3.5s

3. MCAT Score
23 / 19 / 22

4. Podiatry Experience
Began shadowing a doc two months ago, 3 days a week for about 4 hours

5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable)
MD doctors shadowed (roughly 75hours)
DO doctor shadowed (roughly 20 hours)

6. Volunteering
Out of country 400hours of volunteering. Childrens hospital 200hours.

My low MCAT and mediocre GPA is keeping me out of DO schools. Applied late last year and didn't get any interviews. Just got my 3rd MCAT score of 22 and it doesn't look like anything will change even if I apply early to DO schools. MD seems out of the question atm.

anyone wanna take a gander?

Last edited:
Haha, okay.id be surprised if that we're the case!

And saying they don't care if they fill their class is the same as saying the don't care about $$...and there's no way that's true!

Valid point.

But I heard they had a cap of 50 for last year and didn't fill it (think it was 48).

Again, my info could be wrong. :laugh:

Hey guys,

Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.6 (science GPA 3.3)
MCAT: 20
ECs: shadowing, volunteering at hospital, part of various organizations and hold leadership in some, researched in two labs and got a publication, tutoring elementary school kids in reading and writing

I was wondering what are my chances to get in? and is it too late to apply for this fall?

Thanks a bunch!!