This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I am newly interested with the field of podiatry and how application competiveness compares to MD/DO. I have yet to take the MCAT but would love to get an understanding on how competive my application is thus far. I am taking a gap year in order to gain more clinical experiences as well as to give myself time to retake the MCAT if need be. Thanks in advance!
GPA:
  • 3.93 cGPA and 3.89sGPA
Undergraduate Institution:
  • University of South Florida, Tampa.
  • Major in biomedical sciences with a minor in both Deaf Studies and Religion and Healthcare
MCAT:
  • Yet to take. However, I recently started studying and have gotten around a 500 on both diagnostic practice tests.
Personal Info:
  • 22-year-old white male from Orlando, Florida. Traditional applicant.
Clinical Experience:
  • Covid-19 Testing assistant. Traveled nationally and tested private organizations such as the U.S. Men's Soccer Team (500 hours)
  • Volunteer at a cancer center (80 hours)
Research:
  • Wet lab research dealing with DNA replication stress response (350 hours)
  • Systematic Review on Cardiac Surgery and Telehealth. Presented work at the USF research fair
Leadership:
  • Co-founder of USF's first research journal
  • Executive board member of USF Research Society: research coordinator
    • Published with groups that I lead following a successful publication. The number is TBD.
  • Editor of USF research Journal
Shadowing:
  • 100 hours of diverse shadowing
Other:
  • Volunteering at a food pantry (400 hours)
  • General Chemistry Teaching Assistant
  • Private Tudor
  • USF PAMSA Member
  • Deans List
  • Summa Cum Laude
Letters of Recommendation:
  • 2 science professors, 1 non-science professor, 1 research-related, 1 physician

I’d say your going to be fine

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I am newly interested with the field of podiatry and how application competiveness compares to MD/DO. I have yet to take the MCAT but would love to get an understanding on how competive my application is thus far. I am taking a gap year in order to gain more clinical experiences as well as to give myself time to retake the MCAT if need be. Thanks in advance!
GPA:
  • 3.93 cGPA and 3.89sGPA
Undergraduate Institution:
  • University of South Florida, Tampa.
  • Major in biomedical sciences with a minor in both Deaf Studies and Religion and Healthcare
MCAT:
  • Yet to take. However, I recently started studying and have gotten around a 500 on both diagnostic practice tests.
Personal Info:
  • 22-year-old white male from Orlando, Florida. Traditional applicant.
Clinical Experience:
  • Covid-19 Testing assistant. Traveled nationally and tested private organizations such as the U.S. Men's Soccer Team (500 hours)
  • Volunteer at a cancer center (80 hours)
Research:
  • Systematic Review on Cardiac Surgery and Telehealth. Presented work at the USF research fair
Leadership:
  • Co-founder of USF's first research journal
    • Published with groups that I lead following a successful publication. The number is TBD.
  • Editor of USF research Journal
Shadowing:
  • 100 hours of diverse shadowing
Other:
  • Private Tudor
  • USF PAMSA Member
  • Deans List
  • Summa Cum Laude
Letters of Recommendation:
  • 2 science professors, 1 non-science professor, 1 research-related, 1 physician
You should be fine, but I would make sure you really show your interest in podiatry as a first-choice and not as a possible backup plan (diverse shadowing physicians is great but show you have made the turn to podiatry). This means getting involved with shadowing podiatrists and perhaps being able to work for one. I'd also check out any meetings that support podiatrists in your community and state. Attend any of the virtual recruitment events and/or any in-person recruitment events so show you aren't just making this choice at the last moment. With a decent MCAT, you will be highly desirable.

Hi everyone,

I'm seeking some insight as newly interested in podiatry. I appreciate any help!

GPA: cGPA:3.0 sGPA:2.89
MCAT: Have not taken yet, I'm hoping to apply for Fall of 2024 so I'm spending the summer studying and working.

Personal Info:
24 y/o black female, non-traditional considering I graduated December 2020. B.S in Biology
EC:
Covid-19 Lab Technologist (1 year)
Volunteered at elementary schools, teaching children about science (100 hours)
Worked as a scribe for a family medicine M.D. (400 hours)
No podiatry shadowing experience
Volunteered with Sickle Cell Agency (150 hours)
I also have a few hours of virtual shadowing (Due to Covid-19)
Mentor position held
Leadership position in club

Worked in a diagnostic laboratory for 2+ years also

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I'm seeking some insight as newly interested in podiatry. I appreciate any help!

MCAT: Have not taken yet, I'm hoping to apply for Fall of 2024 so I'm spending the summer studying and working.

Personal Info:
24 y/o black female, non-traditional considering I graduated December 2020. B.S in Biology
EC:
Mentor position held

I would highly recommend shadowing a podiatrist in your local community because you will be asked why podiatry in interviews, personal essay, etc. Also having some type of experience in podiatry will help you decide if podiatry is something you really want to do since you will be locked into the speciality forever. I know it could be tricky finding a DPM to shadow, you can just call podiatrists in your area and see if they allow shadowing.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

Personal Info:
EC:
Mentor position held

I second what the poster above said.

A mediocre MCAT will land you interviews. I’d aim for 500+ for some leeway. Though I’m sure a larger school would accept a lower MCAT.

It’s easy to get in, but harder to stay. Make sure this is a profession you are truly interested in, as it’s a huge $$$ and effort commitment.

It will be an uphill battle with your ugGPA. Be prepared to work your tail off! Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for reaching out to us!

Definitely get some shadowing. AACPM and APMA may have programs to connect you with other podiatrists for information as l interviews or shadowing. Individual schools may also connect you with alumni. Finally, reach out to APMSA... As a UiM candidate, there should be students eager to connect Home .

I would highly recommend shadowing a podiatrist in your local community because you will be asked why podiatry in interviews, personal essay, etc. Also having some type of experience in podiatry will help you decide if podiatry is something you really want to do since you will be locked into the speciality forever. I know it could be tricky finding a DPM to shadow, you can just call podiatrists in your area and see if they allow shadow
Ok thank you so much for your help! I will definitely aim for a 500+ on my MCAT and start finding DPMs to shadow
I was just worried my GPA and shadowing experience would set me back and be unrealistic for podiatry schools

Ok thank you so much for your help! I will definitely aim for a 500+ on my MCAT and start finding DPMs to shadow
I was just worried my GPA and shadowing experience would set me back and be unrealistic for podiatry schools

Just work on your upcoming MCAT and get shadowing, dont worry about being unrealistic. Hope the linked post motivates you in taking the chance. :) Best wishes! DM me if you need any help.

Hey Guys !! Last post now that I have reached the closing days before the upcoming cycle opens.

Here are my final application statistics:

Undergrad:
cGPA: 3.25
sGPA: 2.85 (calculated according to AACPM website)
Grad:
SMP GPA: 2.45 in May (i know yikes 0_0, our school did not round my grades up and couple of them I missed B's on a cusp)
MCAT: 494
You'll get in somewhere.

Work your tail off.

Reactions: 2 users
So before I apply to all the schools, I want to know what my chances are or if I should retake the MCAT.
MCAT: 494- everything was pretty much 21st-27th percentile except my CARS which was 72nd percentile.
GPA: 3.36
sGPA: 3.20
I worked as a medical scribe (3,000 hours) with a podiatrist and orthopedic surgeon. Shadowed procedures for both specialties. I currently work as a medical assistant/ surgical tech for a vascular office with about 400 hours experience. Any feedback would be great.

So before I apply to all the schools, I want to know what my chances are or if I should retake the MCAT.
MCAT: 494- everything was pretty much 21st-27th percentile except my CARS which was 72nd percentile.
I worked as a medical scribe (3,000 hours) with a podiatrist and orthopedic surgeon. Shadowed procedures for both specialties. I currently work as a medical assistant/ surgical tech for a vascular office with about 400 hours experience. Any feedback would be great.
If you can get like 505 go DO.
But if you've already read the sticky and understand the red flags, and you still wanna continue, you'll get in somewhere. I had similar stats and I passed everything first time and will be starting externship soon.

Retake MCAT and make 1-2 attempts at a DO school. Spend 3-4 months of additional MCAT studying. Should be no reason for you not to get at least 500. Better spend those 3 months now and get DO school acceptance.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Retake MCAT and make 1-2 attempts at a DO school. Spend 3-4 months of additional MCAT studying. Should be no reason for you to get at least 500. Better spend those 3 months now and get DO school acceptance.
Should I still apply to some podiatry programs just in case? Or would that be frowned upon when applying for DO

Should I still apply to some podiatry programs just in case? Or would that be frowned upon when applying for DO

It is not frowned upon, but the schools aren't going anywhere. You have much time to submit an app to any Pod program. Make a plan and study for the MCAT. Once you get the score, you will know which program to apply to. Don't take the real one until you hit 500+ on practice tests. Good luck!

You may apply. These 2 applications services don't seem to talk to each other. But if you don't plan to go to podiatry why apply. You will get in with your stats. But do you really want to be a podiatrist?

Do everything you can to get DO school acceptance. Study for MCAT like your life depends on it.

DPM is not a replacement for DO.

Doom and gloom aside- you need to realize it is a locked in specialty.
You have no say in what you want to do after.

Don't worry about your back up plan when you have not pushed yourself to the absolute limit for your primary plan.

Hi guys! Was wondering about my chances of getting into a podiatry program for the fall of 2023 along with any possibility of merit-based scholarships. I am applying to Barry, Temple, Des Moines, and AZ. Thanks!

GPA: 3.93 cGPA and 3.89sGPA
MCAT: 506
Undergraduate Info: Major in biomedical sciences with a minor in both Deaf Studies and Religion and Healthcare at the University of South Florida.
Clinical Experience:
  • Covid-19 Testing assistant. Traveled nationally and tested private organizations such as the U.S. Men's Soccer Team (900 hours)
  • Volunteer at a cancer center (100 hours)
Research:
Leadership:
  • Co-founder of USF's first undergraduate research journal
  • Editor of USF Research Journal
Shadowing: 150 hours of podiatric shadowing (sports medicine, reconstructive surgery, and wound care)
Other:
  • Private Tudor
  • USF PAMSA Member
  • Deans List
  • Summa Cum Laude

Hi guys! Was wondering about my chances of getting into a podiatry program for the fall of 2023 along with any possibility of merit-based scholarships. I am applying to Barry, Temple, Des Moines, and AZ. Thanks!

GPA: 3.93 cGPA and 3.89sGPA
MCAT: 506
Undergraduate Info: Major in biomedical sciences with a minor in both Deaf Studies and Religion and Healthcare at the University of South Florida.
Clinical Experience:
  • Covid-19 Testing assistant. Traveled nationally and tested private organizations such as the U.S. Men's Soccer Team (900 hours)
  • Volunteer at a cancer center (100 hours)
Research:
Leadership:
  • Co-founder of USF's first undergraduate research journal
  • Editor of USF Research Journal
Shadowing: 150 hours of podiatric shadowing (sports medicine, reconstructive surgery, and wound care)
Other:
  • Private Tudor
  • USF PAMSA Member
  • Deans List
  • Summa Cum Laude
Great stats. You will get an A and some $$$. Apply asap, but make sure this is the field you want to pursue. Good luck!

So I just wanted to see what my chances would be and/or if I should retake the MCAT

I have a cGPA of 3.35 and a sGPA of 3.1
I got a 497 on the MCAT with a 122 in CARS
I am currently in a 1 year MS program and doing well in classes and expect to finish well GPA wise

I worked as a tech in a optometrist office for 3 years during school breaks and got 600+ hours of experience
I have over 80 hours of shadowing, including 20+ hours of shadowing Podiatrist in surgery and in the office
I have over 150 hours of volunteer works as well

I am applying to Des Moines and Rosalind Franklin right now and any feedback would be great.

So I just wanted to see what my chances would be and/or if I should retake the MCAT

I have a cGPA of 3.35 and a sGPA of 3.1
I got a 497 on the MCAT with a 122 in CARS
I am currently in a 1 year MS program and doing well in classes and expect to finish well GPA wise

I worked as a tech in a optometrist office for 3 years during school breaks and got 600+ hours of experience
I have over 80 hours of shadowing, including 20+ hours of shadowing Podiatrist in surgery and in the office
I have over 150 hours of volunteer works as well

I am applying to Des Moines and Rosalind Franklin right now and any feedback would be great.

You are fine with the current stats. Prepare well for the interviews. Good luck!

Hi I am a rising 4th year student at UVA and am applying to podiatry school this September and I was wondering what my chances were of getting in. I have a 2.6 gpa (2.8 science). Im taking the Mcat in August. I have lots of extracurriculars and lots of clinical experience and research and have shadowed two podiatrists that are both giving me a recommendation. I also am currently retaking the second part of orgo that I got a D in the first time I took it. What do you guys think? Also UVA is a high ranked school (#23 I believe in the nation, #2 for public schools), does that have any factor on my acceptance?

thanks
as you have shadowed a few podiatrists, you know what you are getting into which is a good first step. there is no magic number regarding GPA and MCAT scores for admission. if you have good experiences and show a drive to better yourself, those are good traits to highlight and the interviewers will pick up on that.
continue to make efforts to improve your resume and proceed with the process. the earlier, the better.

as you have shadowed a few podiatrists, you know what you are getting into which is a good first step. there is no magic number regarding GPA and MCAT scores for admission. if you have good experiences and show a drive to better yourself, those are good traits to highlight and the interviewers will pick up on that.
continue to make efforts to improve your resume and proceed with the process. the earlier, the better.

That user and the post were last seen in 2009; your advice still stands though for future students.

Hey guys, I am a recent college graduate looking to go to podiatry school and was wondering if I could get some opinions on my chances to get in? My stats are:
CGPA: 3.59
SGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 490
Have over 200 hours of shadowing experience with various doctors
Have an additional 35 hours of shadowing experience with two podiatrist

ECs:
I am an active volunteer for a local homeless/food pantry facility in my town
I am a part of a counsel that collaborates with portland state university to determine and receive our annual scholarships.

Hi guys,
same old question but I did not find a right answer for my sister's situation. Well, she has 3.0 cGPA and 2.85 science GPA with 18 MCAT score. She's a junior now and wants to apply next year, so she wants to know if she could a decent chance to get in a pod school. Seriously, this question is for her, not me since I already got accepted in D.O school.

Thanks guys and feel free to drop any comments.
TXDO
At least from my alma mater we require a 3.0 overall GPA and the science GPA is a tad low. The MCAT score is way too low. Podiatry school is actually tougher to pass than MD/DO as you have to master their curriculum and podiatry curriculum at the same time so although easier to get in you gotta be tough and be able to handle it. So if she can get her time management skills in check, work hard everyday like its the final O Chem test everyday for 4 years she has a shot.

At least from my alma mater we require a 3.0 overall GPA and the science GPA is a tad low. The MCAT score is way too low. Podiatry school is actually tougher to pass than MD/DO as you have to master their curriculum and podiatry curriculum at the same time so although easier to get in you gotta be tough and be able to handle it. So if she can get her time management skills in check, work hard everyday like its the final O Chem test everyday for 4 years she has a shot.
Dude - that was posted in 2009.

Hello! Submitted my application to Arizona, Ohio, Florida, and Illinois schools. Still looking to apply to school in Iowa as well. Just looking for some advice about my stats!
Stats:
-Cumm GPA: 3.4 on an upward trend
-(Haven’t gotten official science gpa yet, but for sure above a 3.0)
-491 MCAT
Experience:
-Working as a medical assistant for a podiatry practice for over 2 years (about 1700+ hours)
-Observed an ankle surgery at our surgery center under the supervision of one of our podiatrists
~25 hours of hospital volunteering
Achievements:
-Dean’s list x3
-Maintained academic scholarship for 4 years
-LOR from 40+ year podiatrist and from a science faculty

Only concern is that I haven’t had much extracurriculars due to covid and I’m doing research next semester so I can’t put it on my application yet.
Scholl is my top school right now… what are my chances for scholl and the other schools? Thanks guys!!

Hello! Submitted my application to Arizona, Ohio, Florida, and Illinois schools. Still looking to apply to school in Iowa as well. Just looking for some advice about my stats!
Stats:
-491 MCAT
Experience:
-Working as a medical assistant for a podiatry practice for over 2 years (about 1700+ hours)
-Observed an ankle surgery at our surgery center under the supervision of one of our podiatrists
Achievements:
-Dean’s list x3

Only concern is that I haven’t had much extracurriculars due to covid and I’m doing research next semester so I can’t put it on my application yet.
Scholl is my top school right now… what are my chances for scholl and the other schools? Thanks guys!!
Based on number of seats and most recent applicant number you got all 100%.

Stats:
-491 MCAT
Experience:
Achievements:
-Dean’s list x3

Update! I got interview invites from kent state, Scholl, and Barry so far!

Reactions: 5 users
Any updates so far? Glad to hear it! I have similar stats as you so I’m curious.
I got interview invites to every school I applied to. I only interviewed with Kent and Scholl, and got accepted to both. Scholl was my top choice, so I didn’t really want to interview anywhere else!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Guys !! Last post now that I have reached the closing days before the upcoming cycle opens.

Here are my final application statistics:

Undergrad:
cGPA: 3.25
sGPA: 2.85 (calculated according to AACPM website)
Grad:
SMP GPA: 2.45 in May (i know yikes 0_0, our school did not round my grades up and couple of them I missed B's on a cusp)
MCAT: 494

POD Shadowing: 50 hours and counting (currently doing more as well)
Clinical Jobs at multiple hospitals
Leadership and Club founder
Internships at private medical offices
and some Research at a cancer research lab

Applying to all 9 schools to increase my chances. (any good or bad feedback welcome please ! )

I know my graduate sGPA is bad compared to my undergrad sGPA and cGPA, I was wondering what my chances would be if I applied super early or what I could do better in order to increase my chances of getting in this year (2022-2023 cycle). (To repeat as i stated in my previous post ^^) I am not sure how SMPs effect podiatry school. I graduated a year early and decided to pursue a masters hence the degree.

I know that even with an acceptance it will be an uphill ride, but I am willing to put the effort and push forward !

Thanks in advance !
Were you able to get an acceptance?

hi everyone,
i was wondering if anyone could help me determine my current chances getting into a podiatric medical school
1. cGpa: 3.58
2. sGpa: 3.38
3. mcat: 488 :( (retaking june 3rd)
4. shadowing experience of podiatrist ~ 20 hrs, oral and maxillofacial surgeon ~ 40 hrs, plastic surgeon ~ 10 hrs, research ~ 300 hrs, tutor/teaching assistant ~ 200 hrs, surgical technician/assistant in a private practice, red cross volunteer ~ 150 hrs, hospital volunteering (2 separate hospitals) ~ 200 hrs, working as a caregiver ~ 300+ hours by time of application, deans list, cum laude graduate, pre-med clubs
5. Western is my first choice, I am also interested in Barry and azcpm

hi everyone,
i was wondering if anyone could help me determine my current chances getting into a podiatric medical school
4. shadowing experience of podiatrist ~ 20 hrs, oral and maxillofacial surgeon ~ 40 hrs, plastic surgeon ~ 10 hrs, research ~ 300 hrs, tutor/teaching assistant ~ 200 hrs, surgical technician/assistant in a private practice, red cross volunteer ~ 150 hrs, hospital volunteering (2 separate hospitals) ~ 200 hrs, working as a caregiver ~ 300+ hours by time of application, deans list, cum laude graduate, pre-med clubs

You can improve the MCAT score; other stats are fine. Keep in mind, the deadline is June 30th of each cycle.

Hi everyone,
Looking for some advice on my application.
Cgpa: 3.09
Sgpa: 2.7
MCAT: taking on April 29th
Got interviews from scholl, dmu and Kent so far. I would really like to go to Kent or dmu.
Have 200 hours of pod shadowing
Lots of research, couple poster presentations
Over 2000 hour of scribing
300 hours of hospital volunteering
Deans list my senior year
Leadership roles in clubs

Hi everyone,
Looking for some advice on my application.
Got interviews from scholl, dmu and Kent so far. I would really like to go to Kent or dmu.
Have 200 hours of pod shadowing
Lots of research, couple poster presentations
Over 2000 hour of scribing
300 hours of hospital volunteering
Deans list my senior year
Leadership roles in clubs

I'm guessing by now you did the HW about this field. That said, your sci GPA can be better. Focus on the MCAT, and aim for 500+; given this cycle's limited applications, you should be OK with a 490s score but aim higher. Good luck!

sGPA is low. You may struggle a bit in class.
MCAT what dexter said. Aim for 500.

Not impossible to pass podiatry school and boards with sGPA 2.7 and MCAT of 490s- but it is an uphill battle for good residencies that like to cherry pick based off stats.

Work extremely hard. Be nice to those around you. Strengthen your deficiencies in school to get your pod school GPA as high as you can.

Its not about passing school- you will struggle with those stats but its ok. Its about getting the highest pod school GPA possible so you can open up clerkship opportunities.

I'm guessing by now you did the HW about this field. That said, your sci GPA can be better. Focus on the MCAT, and aim for 500+; given this cycle's limited applications, you should be OK with a 490s score but aim higher. Good luck!
Thank you

sGPA is low. You may struggle a bit in class.
MCAT what dexter said. Aim for 500.

Not impossible to pass podiatry school and boards with sGPA 2.7 and MCAT of 490s- but it is an uphill battle for good residencies that like to cherry pick based off stats.

Work extremely hard. Be nice to those around you. Strengthen your deficiencies in school to get your pod school GPA as high as you can.

Its not about passing school- you will struggle with those stats but its ok. Its about getting the highest pod school GPA possible so you can open up clerkship opportunities.
Thank you

hi everyone,
Girl you are fine! I literally got aa 487 and my gpa was c:3.4 and s: 3.2. I applied to 10 schools and received interview offers to all but midwestern. All the interviews I did (5 bc I got the school I wanted early on), I got accepted with scholarships. If you have any questions feel free to dm me! <3

Girl you are fine! I literally got aa 487 and my gpa was c:3.4 and s: 3.2. I applied to 10 schools and received interview offers to all but midwestern. All the interviews I did (5 bc I got the school I wanted early on), I got accepted with scholarships. If you have any questions feel free to dm me! <3
487 is not something to be proud of.

Glad you got in. Work hard on your standardized testing skills. You will take board exams and they are higher risk than your MCAT.

487 is not something to be proud of.

Glad you got in. Work hard on your standardized testing skills. You will take board exams and they are higher risk than your MCAT.
I never said I was proud of it. It was just a snapshot of my day and a pretty ****ty one at that. Sent them my FL that were 495+ and were cool with it.

I never said I was proud of it. It was just a snapshot of my day and a pretty ****ty one at that. Sent them my FL that were 495+ and were cool with it.
You sent them pictures of your FL’s and they were cool with it… This is exactly what is wrong with podiatry admissions. If you sent any other professional school pictures of a “practice” test they would all probably sit there and laugh.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
You sent them pictures of your FL’s and they were cool with it… This is exactly what is wrong with podiatry admissions. If you sent any other professional school pictures of a “practice” test they would all probably sit there and laugh.
I talked about it and they wanted it. oh whale

Has anyone recently interviewed with Kent state? I have my interview coming up and if any of you have any advice please let me know