This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedGuy8315

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm wondering if I could have a few suggestions on OOS MD schools to apply to given my stats and background.

UMN Biochemistry major. Neuroscience minor. Old MCAT 2014 score: 31. New MCAT 2016 score: 515. cGPA: 3.82. sGPA:~3.75. 200+ hours shadowing MD/DO physicians in many specialities (Gen Surg, Orthopedic Surgery, Neuro, Cardiology, Cardiothoracic surgery, Critical Care, EM, Hospitalists, IM, Rheumatology, ENT, etc.). ~1,000 hours scribing for a family med physician. One week long medical mission trip to Haiti. Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity brother ~100+ hrs volunteering/organizing. Welcome Week Leader volunteer (welcome/lead freshman around for the 1st week of school) ~150+ hrs. Active Minds Mental Health Advocate ~25 hrs. No formal research experience, but graduated from UMN and education was highly research/team based. Letters of Rec: FM scribe physician=very strong, Haiti trip leader/UH PhD faculty= very strong, MD mentor/shadowing program coordinator=strong, Biochem Prof=strong/decent, Biochem Prof=okay, History Prof=okay.

This will be my 3rd application cycle. I'm a 23 yr old MN resident from a small town of ~6,500. White male. Father is an MD IM physician who graduated from UND and brother is a 4th yr DO student in WV. Family ties OOS via my family: ND (strong), CA/CT (weak). Family ties OOS via fiancee's family (all strong): CA/IL, AZ, IN. I'm currently applying to UMD, WVU, CMS/RFUMS, UND, all where I was waitlisted last year. Can't apply to UMN b/c I'm in the gap between 2nd/3rd application. Just wondering about other solid OOS-friendly schools to apply to. Hoping with my new MCAT score I can seal the deal with my 3rd application, as it's been an expensive run.

Side note--I'm applying to DO schools too, but I don't need suggestions on these.

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd imagine a 31+3.82 would be good enough for many schools in your area. I doubt your academic metrics were holding you back. Likely the writing part of your app (PS, LORs, ECs) or bad interviewing. You need to figure out which one, and address it. The new MCAT certainly helps (33), but it alone won't get your through the door. Metrics=interview. Rest of App=acceptance. Also, the fact you were waitlisted at all of your interviews this past cycle gives credence to the fact your interviews are probably not going as well as you think they are (Your ECs appear good enough).

Last edited:
Mn is Montana right? Gotta imagine you'd have a shot at WWAMI?

Outside of that maybe try some southeastern schools. They always want to get the token person from every state lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Forget the family ties; they're worthless, except possibly U ND because of your dad.

I recommend the following:

U VM

USF Morsani (maybe)

Duke (maybe)

Case (maybe)

Mayo (maybe)

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)

Rosy Franklin

BU

MCW

Hofstra

NYMC

VCU

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

George Washington

Emory

USC/Keck

Tulane

Dartmouth

Loyola

Any new MD school. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.

Your state school(s).

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program

Hi guys, I'm wondering if I could have a few suggestions on OOS MD schools to apply to given my stats and background.

UMN Biochemistry major. Neuroscience minor. Old MCAT 2014 score: 31. New MCAT 2016 score: 515. cGPA: 3.82. sGPA:~3.75. 200+ hours shadowing MD/DO physicians in many specialities (Gen Surg, Orthopedic Surgery, Neuro, Cardiology, Cardiothoracic surgery, Critical Care, EM, Hospitalists, IM, Rheumatology, ENT, etc.). ~1,000 hours scribing for a family med physician. One week long medical mission trip to Haiti. Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity brother ~100+ hrs volunteering/organizing. Welcome Week Leader volunteer (welcome/lead freshman around for the 1st week of school) ~150+ hrs. Active Minds Mental Health Advocate ~25 hrs. No formal research experience, but graduated from UMN and education was highly research/team based. Letters of Rec: FM scribe physician=very strong, Haiti trip leader/UH PhD faculty= very strong, MD mentor/shadowing program coordinator=strong, Biochem Prof=strong/decent, Biochem Prof=okay, History Prof=okay.

This will be my 3rd application cycle. I'm a 23 yr old MN resident from a small town of ~6,500. White male. Father is an MD IM physician who graduated from UND and brother is a 4th yr DO student in WV. Family ties OOS via my family: ND (strong), CA/CT (weak). Family ties OOS via fiancee's family (all strong): CA/IL, AZ, IN. I'm currently applying to UMD, WVU, CMS/RFUMS, UND, all where I was waitlisted last year. Can't apply to UMN b/c I'm in the gap between 2nd/3rd application. Just wondering about other solid OOS-friendly schools to apply to. Hoping with my new MCAT score I can seal the deal with my 3rd application, as it's been an expensive run.

Side note--I'm applying to DO schools too, but I don't need suggestions on these.

Thanks in advance!!