This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SophiaSanti

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to summarize my future academic path, so you can understand what my goals are.
I’m looking for a Psychology (BA/BS), Psychobiology (BS) or Biology (BS) program, as an international student, intending to enroll in a New York City or Los Angeles college, get the underdegree and then apply for medical school.

If a choose any of the two Psychology degrees I'd have do to the majority of the premed as an extra. However, the Biology degree contains all the premed, am I right? In other hand, it has some difficult courses which are not a premed requisite. I'm truly afraid of not getting a great GPA because of those hard courses and my daily life (I have my own businesses, so my days are managed between college and professional responsibilities - If I hadn't the businesses I wouldn't have any worries about this, I love biology!).

It should be better for me to choose the Psychobiology Bachelor (as it has more premed included than the Psych (BS) ) and make the rest of the premed aside from it? I have an excellent knowledge about psychology, I graduated my Psychology Bachelor two years ago here, in Portugal. Unfortunately, can't use it in the US and can't get any credits equivalency as well. So, let's do it all again!

Oh, can't forget to tell you that I'm going to take more credit hours on each year, so I can finish it faster (I'm used to it, in Portugal each year has 60-75 credit hours.). I won't do it in the premed courses, cause I know the medical schools don't accept AP's in bio, chemistry, physics, maths, etc (premed, basically). This factor makes me think about the calendar pressure: more class hours plus the premed courses. I'm almost turning 23 years old, that's why I'm in a hurry to apply for medical school.

To sum up, I need an underdegree with the best coursework plan, which can give the best GPA, according to my needs, goals and schedule. Obviously, Bio is the perfect passport to be accepted in med schools, but what about the GPA?

Said that, can you help me out choosing the right underdegree? I'm totally sure that you have good advice for me.

Thanks in advance for any help! ☺
(Sorry for my English. It's not as good as it should be.)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Biology overlaps all of the pre-med pre-reqs. Do what ever you want. Doesn't matter.

Reactions: 1 users
Do what makes you happy

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would pick the major you think you would enjoy learning about the most. Sounds like Psychobiology offers a blend of the Psych that you're looking for, with the overlap of some premed requirements. UCLA offers a Psychobiology degree that fulfills most of the premed requirements: https://www.psych.ucla.edu/undergra...ors/psychobiology-major-for-transfer-students

UC Irvine offers a Neurobiology and Behavior degree that might fit what you're looking for as well: http://neurobiology.uci.edu/

To complete the premed requirements, you'll be taking some tough classes either way so I would prepare yourself mentally for that while knowing that doing well academically and maintaining a strong GPA will be important.

yes and yes

That is not entirely true. Some US medical schools require only 32 US credits for entrance. They will accept overseas degree (https://www.einstein.yu.edu/education/md-program/admissions/international-students/). Others may only need 60. I have also seen some with conflicting information. The 90 credit minimum usually listed at most medical schools seems to apply to US students. These school may accept foreign degree. However, how competitive you will be without US degree is another question.

That is not always true though I am not sure what you are referring here on acceleration. And age shouldnt be a factor. A past president of the American Medical Association, the largest physician society in the USA, didnt start medical school until 35 years old.

While Bio allows for all the prereqs, it is not a preferred major for the medical schools,

Indeed, you are right about the credits. Nevertheless, Cornell University (for example) requires 3 full academic years already made at the time of application. Since I want to expand my options, I have to take the conditions of this university into consideration. The truth is that there are few universities where I can apply myself, will be restricted to Los Angeles and NYC because of my professional life. So on my horizon are UCLA, Cornell, Columbia and NYU. I will do everything to meet the requisite of these universities because they are literally the only hope I have to go into medicine.

With regard to competitiveness is jeopardized due to foreign undergraduate, I'm very careful about it and even if future laws are established for foreign students in order to facilitate their academic lives, I would never take advantage of them because I wouldn't risk that much. Unequivocally, I prefer to do what's right and have a fully obtained curriculum at US universities.

Concerning to the AP's, I was referring to such credits as a convenient way to do the BS just like I want, requiring more classes per semester and thus ending the degree faster (2,5 years). As I was told that these courses would get the AP "designation" in the final curriculum, I have to be careful to not follow this procedure with the premed so as to avoid a complete disaster - I'm totally informed that many of the above mentioned universities don't accept AP's in premed courses.

From what I can see I won't choose Biology, since it has some courses that are not "premed" and I don't need to subject myself to that kind of extra stress in this particular time. If I hadn't a professional life I wouldn't mind following Biology, because I love all it has to offer.
What's more, I have to think about the GPA and my daily time management (don't want to study so much with such pressure at this stage, I intend to make good use of my free time until I achieve the residency program (neurosurgery); the accumulated stress and lack of personal life will be psychological enemies that will kill me inside when I drive in the crazy and strict residency ocean; I do everything to keep a daily healthy balance between the college, my work and my personal life).

Possibly, I will choose Psychobiology (BS), Psychology (BS) or Neurobiology (BS)(could give me a reasonable background for medicine and residency), will took more credits on each semester in all courses that it's possible and will make the premed apart.

Thank you for your time and for your helpful words! :)

No matter your major, just do well in it

Reactions: 1 user
I would pick the major you think you would enjoy learning about the most. Sounds like Psychobiology offers a blend of the Psych that you're looking for, with the overlap of some premed requirements. UCLA offers a Psychobiology degree that fulfills most of the premed requirements: https://www.psych.ucla.edu/undergra...ors/psychobiology-major-for-transfer-students

UC Irvine offers a Neurobiology and Behavior degree that might fit what you're looking for as well: http://neurobiology.uci.edu/

To complete the premed requirements, you'll be taking some tough classes either way so I would prepare yourself mentally for that while knowing that doing well academically and maintaining a strong GPA will be important.

Actually, I'm interested in UCLA Psychobiology program!
I have the perfect notion of the existing difficulty in premed. You got me wrong, obviously. I'm not trying to run away from it, at all. Sooner or later, I will be forced to make those courses.
I feel very comfortable with that difficulty and with the hard work reality, although it doesn't suit me in a way so tight at this point because in the Biology (BS) I will have to make non-premed courses which will be equally difficult. I'm not going to have time for that kind of "dedication" and I'm afraid to miss the opportunity of getting a great GPA.
It's a matter of choosing what is best for me at this very moment. That's it. :)

Actually, I'm interested in UCLA Psychobiology program!
I have the perfect notion of the existing difficulty in premed. You got me wrong, obviously. I'm not trying to run away from it, at all. Sooner or later, I will be forced to make those courses.
I feel very comfortable with that difficulty and with the hard work reality, although it doesn't suit me in a way so tight at this point because in the Biology (BS) I will have to make non-premed courses which will be equally difficult. I'm not going to have time for that kind of "dedication" and I'm afraid to miss the opportunity of getting a great GPA.
It's a matter of choosing what is best for me at this very moment. That's it. :)
Do be aware that AP credits will do almost nothing for you at UCLA as far as Pre-med classes go. Math is the only one that could be covered with AP credits. They are very useful (and necessary) to get yourself into UCLA though.

http://www.admission.ucla.edu/prospect/APCreditLS.htm

Do be aware that AP credits will do almost nothing for you at UCLA as far as Pre-med classes go. Math is the only one that could be covered with AP credits. They are very useful (and necessary) to get yourself into UCLA though.

http://www.admission.ucla.edu/prospect/APCreditLS.htm

Got it! But I don't intend to use the AP neither in Math nor in any of the pre med courses. I just want to do it in other courses of the degree, at least those that are allowed to do so.

Reactions: 1 user