This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virajpatel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am studying for the CBSE right now, plan to take it in February but really distraught because I have seen a few posts regarding the importance of an undergraduate GPA for acceptance into a 6 year program. My undergrad performance was, by no means, stellar (~3.3 if you don't recalculate retaken courses, probably 3.0/3.1 if you recalculate). So I have a few questions:

1) Should I even be worrying about this right now and just focus on doing well on the CBSE, or should maybe focus more on the 4year programs or something different altogether?
2) Do they recalculate your GPA accounting for retaken courses when you apply for residency, as they do for AADSAS and AMCAS?
3) After completing undergrad where I got a 3.15 GPA, I did a Master's in biomedical sciences and obtained a 4.0 in my program, will this make any amends for a low GPA?

Just trying to wrap my head around all this because most programs have not listed any cutoff GPAs so I am not quite sure what direction to take with this and I am not sure if emailing program directors with this is the best approach.

Members don't see this ad.

I've often been curious about this as well. I think you should mentally put this out of your mind while you prepare for the CBSE. Test is no joke. A really strong CBSE score might be a deciding factor especially for schools where the medical school admissions committee doesn't have the final say. There's an sdn post talking about which programs have medical as a deciding factor or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Try to not be discouraged. Some 6-year programs have hard cut-offs for undergraduate GPA, often enforced by the medical school. I can remember off the top of my head, Emory had something about a minimum ugrad GPA on their website. I wouldn't let it discourage you from applying. If you have a few programs you're interested in specifically, it couldn't hurt to reach out and find out from the program director(s).

Great job on the masters.

Reactions: 1 users
Worry about the CBSE, this is your ticket to the interview.
Most programs do not have a hard cut-off undergrad GPA and the masters will help.

Reactions: 1 user