WSU (Washington State) C/O 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's alphabetical! Or today is scheduled that way, anyway.

And now the waiting resumes . . .

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
:luck: GOOD LUCK!!! :luck:

(Not that you need it! You'll do great!)

I hope it went well for you! Good luck :)

Thanks! It went okay. They asked very different questions from what I had last year, and I didn't feel incredibly eloquent while I was answering. There was one where I realized how problematic my response was half way through, so I backtracked and sort of refuted what I had been saying and never had a real answer. Oh well. It's over now. :laugh:

One of the residents I work with stopped to say hi, and @Caiter92 came by. So I definitely wasn't lacking for support! :)

That is reassuring! Now we commence the next stage of the waiting game. Hopefully, it won't be that long, this time.

Thanks! It went okay. They asked very different questions from what I had last year, and I didn't feel incredibly eloquent while I was answering. There was one where I realized how problematic my response was half way through, so I backtracked and sort of refuted what I had been saying and never had a real answer. Oh well. It's over now. :laugh:

One of the residents I work with stopped to say hi, and @Caiter92 came by. So I definitely wasn't lacking for support! :)

It was definitely way harder than I thought it would be.... I'm glad I'm not alone on that! :) Good luck!

It was definitely way harder than I thought it would be.... I'm glad I'm not alone on that! :) Good luck!
Did you get the [redacted] question???

On second thought I'll pm you. Not sure it's brilliant to talk about specific questions openly on a public forum. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
But it's the one class I aced! Dr. Harding is the best person ever. Now we're on renal phys. Which is just not interesting to me at all.
I applied to WSU last year, got an interview, but didn't get in. So I now go to Ross university. I just thought it was cool that you said this because we are also currently doing Renal physiology. I was really curious how the curriculum at WSU compares to what we are doing here. At least with physio it is the same. We did the heart, respiratory, blood, nervous system and muscle last semester. We learned all the thoracic limb, pelvic limb, hypaxial, and expaxial muscles, and tendons/ligaments, all the bones (except for the skull), all the viscera in the abdominal and thoracic cavity, and some of the nerves and blood vessels in anatomy (that class killed me, but I got an A!!!) Then we had microanatomy, which was learning about tissues (and more), and principles of infectious disease, which was pretty much an intro to parasitology, immunology, and some other random stuff.

I applied to WSU last year, got an interview, but didn't get in. So I now go to Ross university. I just thought it was cool that you said this because we are also currently doing Renal physiology. I was really curious how the curriculum at WSU compares to what we are doing here. At least with physio it is the same. We did the heart, respiratory, blood, nervous system and muscle last semester. We learned all the thoracic limb, pelvic limb, hypaxial, and expaxial muscles, and tendons/ligaments, all the bones (except for the skull), all the viscera in the abdominal and thoracic cavity, and some of the nerves and blood vessels in anatomy (that class killed me, but I got an A!!!) Then we had microanatomy, which was learning about tissues (and more), and principles of infectious disease, which was pretty much an intro to parasitology, immunology, and some other random stuff.
I haven't seen you around in a while! I was just reading through last year's thread and wondering what you and others were up to. Congrats on Ross!!

Sounds like we had a pretty similar schedule last semester! Our core classes were small animal anatomy, histo, and cell phys. Plus surgery, ethics and an animal handling class. This semester is path, neuro, immuno, large animal anatomy, systems phys, and nutrition!

Congrats on Ross and I hope you're enjoying it there! :)

Hi, so I'm an OOS student who is attending my interview next week and I was wondering if anyone knew how long after the interview it tool for people to get a response one way or the other last year? I'm really nervous and I know I'm just going to be sitting on pins and needles the whole time afterwards.

Hi, so I'm an OOS student who is attending my interview next week and I was wondering if anyone knew how long after the interview it tool for people to get a response one way or the other last year? I'm really nervous and I know I'm just going to be sitting on pins and needles the whole time afterwards.
They were on kind of a different timeline last year but everyone (IS and OOS) who got in, got their email on Feb 9. The year prior was a similar timeline to this year and OOS got acceptances on Feb 13. Rejections and waitlists take longer because they're notified via snail mail.

Thank you for the quick response!

Well I'm excited that the response time for this is way quicker than finding out whether you got an interview in the first place. I thought it was going to be another months long wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure this has been asked before, but what kind of setting is the interview? Is it more of a conversation/personal interview? Or more scenario based? I have my interview next week!

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what kind of setting is the interview? Is it more of a conversation/personal interview? Or more scenario based? I have my interview next week!
You should look at the interview feedback section here. They have lot sof questions from previous years and some of mine where similar :)

When I interviewed last year I had ~10 questions, and they were split pretty evenly between ethical situations, current events, and then some more about why vet school, etc.

It's not an MMI, so you won't be given a situation to prep for. I had three interviewers and I believe they're doing that this year as well. Interviews last about 30 minutes. Most interview panels keep it very conversational, but mine wasn't at all, so that part varies.

Good luck!

I'll second what Catier said. My IS interview was also about 10 questions with a panel of 3 people (1 ag DVM from the teaching hospital, 1 animal researcher from the university, and one semi-local alumni vet). They allot 30 minutes for it. Most people do say it is very conversational. I didn't get that vibe necessarily, but it also wasn't just rapid-fire questions. They would ask follow-up questions if you said something that interested them. It was not high-stress. Several ethical/situational questions, current events, etc. You'll be just fine!

I'll second what Catier said. My IS interview was also about 10 questions with a panel of 3 people (1 ag DVM from the teaching hospital, 1 animal researcher from the university, and one semi-local alumni vet). They allot 30 minutes for it. Most people do say it is very conversational. I didn't get that vibe necessarily, but it also wasn't just rapid-fire questions. They would ask follow-up questions if you said something that interested them. It was not high-stress. Several ethical/situational questions, current events, etc. You'll be just fine!
Thank you both! :) by current events, do you mean vet related or just in general?

It still feels like an interview, but they do try to help you feel comfortable and relaxed. The questions in the SDN bank were helpful to me last year but not this year - it's worthwhile to look at them, but don't count on them being used.

Hey guys! Recent interviewee here. I saw the post about last year everyone getting their acceptance letters Feb 9 but that they were on a different timeline. Based on the timeline this year (IS Jan 17/18), when should we be getting our acceptance letters by? Also, did anyone come to a consensus about order of interview meaning anything? I was in the last group to be interviewed and am naturally panicking about being the bottom of the barrel :cryi: Or maybe they saved the best for last?? :rolleyes: Oh and I'm not sure if any current students/current applicants want to share their stats but I'm always struggling to figure out where I sit as far as applicants go haha (GPA, GRE, science GPA).

Sorry for the long post, congrats to any current students, and good luck to anyone awaiting an acceptance letter!!!

Hey guys! Recent interviewee here. I saw the post about last year everyone getting their acceptance letters Feb 9 but that they were on a different timeline. Based on the timeline this year (IS Jan 17/18), when should we be getting our acceptance letters by?

For c/o 2019, in-state interviewed 1/26 and 1/27 and began hearing about acceptances on 1/30. This was a similar timeline to the current year as far as length of time between IS and OOS interviews.

For c/o 2019, in-state interviewed 1/26 and 1/27 and began hearing about acceptances on 1/30. This was a similar timeline to the current year as far as length of time between IS and OOS interviews.

Thank you!!

Interviews were alphabetical, or mostly alphabetical, I think. Based on the check-in sheet from my interview day.

WA interviews were Monday/Tuesday, Idaho were Tuesday/Wednesday last year. E-mails went out and snail mail was sent on the following Tuesday. (E-mails were received late in the day)

I think it's possible we could hear as early as Friday, but more likely not until next week.

It still feels like an interview, but they do try to help you feel comfortable and relaxed. The questions in the SDN bank were helpful to me last year but not this year - it's worthwhile to look at them, but don't count on them being used.
Could you (or anyone else who knows) point me to how to get to the SDN bank of interview questions? I can't seem to find it!

You go to Interview Feedback at the top, then find WSU among the veterinary schools. :)

While I wait for my eventual email/letter, I'm distracting myself by crushing on a restaurant server. I've enlisted several partners in crime and I'm asking the guy out this week.

Tired of stressing about vet school rejection? Set yourself up for romantic rejection and stress about that instead. :p

Reactions: 2 users
While I wait for my eventual email/letter, I'm distracting myself by crushing on a restaurant server. I've enlisted several partners in crime and I'm asking the guy out this week.

Tired of stressing about vet school rejection? Set yourself up for romantic rejection and stress about that instead. :p
See, this sounds much more fun than what I did last year. I picked up all my coworkers shifts when she was on vacation on top of my own and didn't have a day off for two weeks to keep me distracted :laugh:

I hope you get good news! On both fronts :D

Also dating someone who works in a restaurant means you get free food, right? That sounds like the best relationship ever :p

You've been stalking him for how many years now?

You've been stalking him for how many years now?
I see him everytime I go there but I've only gone like 3 times in as many years THIS DOES NOT QUALIFY AS STALKING

I have stalked him on FB since Saturday and I asked my friend who worked with him for her advice . . . But I prefer to think of myself as a PI :cool:

I see him everytime I go there but I've only gone like 3 times in as many years THIS DOES NOT QUALIFY AS STALKING

I have stalked him on FB since Saturday and I asked my friend who worked with him for her advice . . . But I prefer to think of myself as a PI :cool:
Stalking when you have a mutual friend is totally allowed :p

See, this sounds much more fun than what I did last year. I picked up all my coworkers shifts when she was on vacation on top of my own and didn't have a day off for two weeks to keep me distracted :laugh:

I hope you get good news! On both fronts :D

Also dating someone who works in a restaurant means you get free food, right? That sounds like the best relationship ever :p
Last year I was working 30 hours a week while taking 20 credits. This no school thing is really nice but I'd love it to change come August. :D But anyway, I had no trouble distracting myself last year.

Although if you read the 2020 applicant thread it says something different about my level of distraction :hilarious:

Sounds like we had a pretty similar schedule last semester! Our core classes were small animal anatomy, histo, and cell phys. Plus surgery, ethics and an animal handling class. This semester is path, neuro, immuno, large animal anatomy, systems phys, and nutrition!

Congrats on Ross and I hope you're enjoying it there! :)
I'm glad it is semi-similar, I was very adamant about going to Ross, I really wanted to try for WSU one more time (after 3 tries already), but my parents persuaded me to just get my career going. I wish our anatomy was broken up into large and small animal like yours, but we learn both at the same time, last semester it was all about muscles, ligaments, and the internal viscera, and this semester its more about vessels and nerves, and we just finished doing small/large animal reproductive system. We also have a class called essential veterinary skills that we take every semester where we handle the animals and learn suturing techniques and stuff like that as well. We don't take nutrition until 3rd semester, I heard that they used to teach it in 1st semester but they didn't want people coming here for one semester and then transferring to a new school right away, I guess vet schools only take students that have taken nutrition already? But that could be a rumor, rumors spread like wild fire at Ross

Oh man - waiting...waiting...waiting...

Seems I've fallen into a ritual: come home and check email...nothing received. Bummer...

Come here and check forum...doesn't look like anyone else received anything, either. Nothing decided, yet...

It's schrodinger's decision letter.

Reactions: 2 users

Seems I've fallen into a ritual: come home and check email...nothing received. Bummer...

Come here and check forum...doesn't look like anyone else received anything, either. Nothing decided, yet...

Exactly! As long as no one else has heard anything, I'm cool. I can wait . . .

Exactly! As long as no one else has heard anything, I'm cool. I can wait . . .

I have a mini heart attack anytime I see that there is a new post in this thread! Hahaha

Anyone else hoping we hear tomorrow??? That seems reasonable right? Right....? :nailbiting:

It would be nice if they'd let people know before the weekend.

I was hoping they'd want to get decisions out of the way before OOS interviews start, but maybe not. :shrug:

They said it'd be 1-3 weeks, so it could be a little while yet.

I was told if I haven't heard back within two weeks to give them a call... ugh I didn't realize you could pack so many ulcers in one stomach haha

I was told if I haven't heard back within two weeks to give them a call... ugh I didn't realize you could pack so many ulcers in one stomach haha
We only have to be patient until the end of next week, then! That's good news! :laugh: