2009-2010 Albert Einstein College of Medicine (AECOM) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when are you interviewing?

Members don't see this ad.

Hope so too:xf: A friend of mine interviewed in Dec and LOVED the school.....I already love the staff, they are extremely friendly and helpful. Turn around time to get my confirmed interview date was about 2 hrs. So far so good. I'M EXCITED :)

Is that the earliest date you requested by any chance? I wanted a feb date, but they gave me a march one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that the earliest date you requested by any chance? I wanted a feb date, but they gave me a march one.
the email said I could pick a date starting one month from the date of the invitation but March 8 was the earliest available. I am however a little confused about the earlier post on this thread about acceptances being announced jan 15th and the remainder of the acceptances will be on a rolling basis.

Hope this is not too late - as a non-Jewish student at Einstein, I have had very few problems in that regard. That information is incorrect, the library is in fact open 7 days a week (although library SERVICES, a.k.a the librarians and staff, are not available Friday afternoon through Saturday). The study center is open 24/7, as are the conference rooms in the 1st-year building and the research center, and are accessible for any student.

Food is indeed Kosher on campus, but there are plenty of eating options off-campus. The only incident I've had was bringing non-Kosher food into the cafeteria; the manager very politely informed me that this is not allowed. Again, not an issue since there are plenty of lunch tables around campus to eat at, other than the cafeteria, where it does not matter if your food is Kosher or not.

Aside from that, our school has quite a few Jewish holidays, which I certainly would not complain about :). The administration and staff are very tolerant, and there is certainly no indoctrination or expectation that you will live the life of an Orthodox Jew during your 4 years.

Anyone have any more information on how orthodox Judaism affects the medical college? This answer from the FAQ:

"The food is kosher (plentiful and good) and the Library is closed from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday (except for the winter months when the Library is closed all day Saturday)."

This answer isn't thought out at all. Later on in the FAQ (in a different section) they tell you that you need proper documentation to live with your wife, and ten years ago they were sued when they denied housing to a same sex couple. Obviously they have a lot more weird rules than they think. Anyone have any input on this? I'd really rather not look horrible at the interview by asking this during Q&A, but if their rules are intrusive enough that would be enough for me to avoid the college.

Hope this is not too late - as a non-Jewish student at Einstein, I have had very few problems in that regard. That information is incorrect, the library is in fact open 7 days a week (although library SERVICES, a.k.a the librarians and staff, are not available Friday afternoon through Saturday). The study center is open 24/7, as are the conference rooms in the 1st-year building and the research center, and are accessible for any student.

Food is indeed Kosher on campus, but there are plenty of eating options off-campus. The only incident I've had was bringing non-Kosher food into the cafeteria; the manager very politely informed me that this is not allowed. Again, not an issue since there are plenty of lunch tables around campus to eat at, other than the cafeteria, where it does not matter if your food is Kosher or not.

Aside from that, our school has quite a few Jewish holidays, which I certainly would not complain about :). The administration and staff are very tolerant, and there is certainly no indoctrination or expectation that you will live the life of an Orthodox Jew during your 4 years.

Thank you for your response, but yes it's too late. I went to interview last month and I immediately saw that my concerns weren't at all warranted. I could definitely see myself being very happy there.

Thank you for your response, but yes it's too late. I went to interview last month and I immediately saw that my concerns weren't at all warranted. I could definitely see myself being very happy there.

@f1doc, thanks for posting this anyway. very helpful for those of us still to interview. :thumbup:

Only a few more days till Jan. 15th.. Think they'll have decisions for interviews up to December?

I interviewed in mid-november and i am anxiously awaiting friday! I will be disappointed if i dont hear something. I wonder if they have reviewed all interviewees thru Jan 15th.

does anyone have any idea through which date of interviewing they have reviewed by Jan 15th?

I interviewed in mid-november and i am anxiously awaiting friday! I will be disappointed if i dont hear something. I wonder if they have reviewed all interviewees thru Jan 15th.

does anyone have any idea through which date of interviewing they have reviewed by Jan 15th?

You'll definitely be reviewed for the Jan 15th deadline. I talked to a student about it on interview day (haha all the way back in mid September). He said that no one will know before the 15th but that he found out exactly on the stated January 15th day via email? I think. I've been waiting since September haha....so almost 4 months post-interview? This whole med school admissions process is slow in general.

You'll definitely be reviewed for the Jan 15th deadline. I talked to a student about it on interview day (haha all the way back in mid September). He said that no one will know before the 15th but that he found out exactly on the stated January 15th day via email? I think. I've been waiting since September haha....so almost 4 months post-interview? This whole med school admissions process is slow in general.

I think it is snail mail, only, thus we won't hear until next week. Last year a few people called the morning of the 15th and found out, but the admissions people stopped giving out that information after getting a deluge of calls...

Members don't see this ad :)
what is the interview day at AECOM like? On the website, it only says there will be one interview and the rest of the day is just meeting up with a current student for a campus tour. The website also says you can send them an email if you want to meet with the dean of admissions. Did any of you guys email them to meet with the dean? There isn't that much details on their website about the interview day so I'm just curious. Thanks!

what is the interview day at AECOM like? On the website, it only says there will be one interview and the rest of the day is just meeting up with a current student for a campus tour. The website also says you can send them an email if you want to meet with the dean of admissions. Did any of you guys email them to meet with the dean? There isn't that much details on their website about the interview day so I'm just curious. Thanks!

Well that's basically how it went. I didn't go see the dean or anyone else really, but I did randomly meet one of the deans of the school. He was really cool. A lot of the students are super friendly. I sat down with some random M.D./Ph.D. students that I had just met for awhile and just hung out with them before their class. I would highly suggest you do the student host program, because they're really. Mine took me around and just really gave me a comprehensive view of the school.

thanks wingiv. I was just looking thru ur mdapps and it seems like we both have similar numbers (31, 3.6). Hope the application process turns out well for us!

I just called the admissions office and found out that if accepted you will receive an email on the 15th or 16th. I think waitlist/rejections will only arrive via snail mail.

I just called the admissions office and found out that if accepted you will receive an email on the 15th or 16th. I think waitlist/rejections will only arrive via snail mail.

Thanks for asking, much appreciated. Different then last year i guess?

Submitted secondary 9/13
App Complete 11/23
Interview Invite 1/5

Aww, I guess this means I was passed over. Complete 11/19. I wanna send them an update that just says " I'm jewish!" cause I AM but I have a totally non jewish name. haha, they probably wouldn't apppreciate that...:laugh:

so i received an e-mail stating one of my LORs didnt sign his letter. Mind you have already received invites at other schools. Do you guys have an idea how long I would have to send in the LORs new letter? I should hear back from one of the schools I interviewed at by the first week of February and honestly if I got in there I wouldnt go here. So my question is do you think it is okay to wait that long? Didnt the website say you have until March to submit materials? Thanks

Aww, I guess this means I was passed over. Complete 11/19. I wanna send them an update that just says " I'm jewish!" cause I AM but I have a totally non jewish name. haha, they probably wouldn't apppreciate that...:laugh:

you're jewish? really? i never would have guess, especially looking at your username :laugh:

anyway, i got "passed over" and then invited to interview a couple of weeks later. so don't worry! oh, and i'm jewy too. like, for reals. it was alllll over my app, haha.

I'm guessing it'll be tomorrow.

They wouldn't email us on a Saturday, right?

Hmmm that's odd because I just called the office and they told me they have all the letters printed out and are hoping to mail them out tonight or tomorrow. She said they won't tell anyone of their status verbally and did not mention anything about emailing! I also tried to see if there is a certain date they have gotten up to in their decisions because I interviewed at the end of November and last yr they were not that far in reviewing applicants by Jan 15th but couldn't get any information on this topic. Good luck everyone I am really hoping for some good news

Hmmm that's odd because I just called the office and they told me they have all the letters printed out and are hoping to mail them out tonight or tomorrow. She said they won't tell anyone of their status verbally and did not mention anything about emailing! I also tried to see if there is a certain date they have gotten up to in their decisions because I interviewed at the end of November and last yr they were not that far in reviewing applicants by Jan 15th but couldn't get any information on this topic. Good luck everyone I am really hoping for some good news

I called earlier today as well and was told the same thing. I asked if an email would be sent and she said no, only through "snail mail." I've been waiting since mid-September...whats an extra few days lol.

So are they done interviewing people here or something?

yes, the site says through the end of April

So are they done interviewing people here or something?

hah i was pretty sure someone else had already answered this question.. and realized that you were the one who asked this same question in the first place... so i guess they're not done interviewing yet! :D

you're jewish? really? i never would have guess, especially looking at your username :laugh:

anyway, i got "passed over" and then invited to interview a couple of weeks later. so don't worry! oh, and i'm jewy too. like, for reals. it was alllll over my app, haha.

Haha, yesss :laugh: Well, this is encouraging, I really like Einstein! I was trying to think of how to put it in my app somewhere but I'm not super involved with my fellow jews so I just let it go...

Wait, on second thought, maybe it was your jewness that made them come back for you! D'oh.

Haha, yesss :laugh: Well, this is encouraging, I really like Einstein! I was trying to think of how to put it in my app somewhere but I'm not super involved with my fellow jews so I just let it go...

Wait, on second thought, maybe it was your jewness that made them come back for you! D'oh.

i highly doubt that. i don't think einstein cares if you're jewish or not.

i highly doubt that. i don't think einstein cares if you're jewish or not.

:thumbup::thumbup: I'm probably more jewy than both of you together and I still haven't gotten any news since the application completion email.

Judging from last year, it seems that they send interview invites through April. Hang in there, fellas! :)

:thumbup::thumbup: I'm probably more jewy than both of you together and I still haven't gotten any news since the application completion email.

Judging from last year, it seems that they send interview invites through April. Hang in there, fellas! :)

hehe. oh yeah? i challenge you to a jew-duel. a jewel, if you will. :smuggrin:

:laugh: p.s. i enjoy your username. i have a line from aishes chayill engraved on the inside of my hadaya bracelet. how's that for jewy? :laugh:

I'm watching this duel with great interest.:corny:

edit: i hope everyone realizes i'm 100% joking about this...

you should be on my side-- we're facebook friends, so you've seen my jewfro!

Last edited:
:laugh: p.s. i enjoy your username. i have a line from aishes chayill engraved on the inside of my hadaya bracelet. how's that for jewy? :laugh:

Course I'm on your side. I'm your sidekick.

I'm watching this duel with great interest.:corny:

This duel is going to take place in a dark alley in Brooklyn. PM me for details.

It's the acronym of my Hebrew name (just the "chayil" part)...

It's cool that it corresponds nicely to eishes-chayil but it has a slightly different connotation.

This duel is going to take place in a dark alley in Brooklyn. PM me for details.

It's the acronym of my Hebrew name (just the "chayil" part)...

It's cool that it corresponds nicely to eishes-chayil but it has a slightly different connotation.

ah, i see. (if only there were a "pensively stroking my chin" emoticon.)

should our duel be outside pomegranate? or maybe eichler's?

ah, i see. (if only there were a "pensively stroking my chin" emoticon.)

should our duel be outside pomegranate? or maybe eichler's?

For a parking spot?

i have no idea what all this jewy talk is about. im just waiting up for midnight when acceptances go out. admissions secretary told me they go out at midnight

i have no idea what all this jewy talk is about. im just waiting up for midnight when acceptances go out. admissions secretary told me they go out at midnight

By e-mail? I thought they snail mailed acceptances...

By e-mail? I thought they snail mailed acceptances...

I really hope it's email! I've been waiting all week for the 15th, it'll be really hard to wait for a letter to get from NYC to California.

Well if they send it by snail mail, Tri state people might get lucky and get it on Saturday.

Btw, is this only acceptances or rejection/waitlists as well?

believe its only acceptances and waitlists that are immediate notification. rejects go snail mail

Interview invite after "in the area" email but they don't have anything until March and I'm there late January. I have to call and see if they can come up with another interviewer soon.

Might be nicer to wait until March and just take it easy; January is a tough month.

Interview invite after "in the area" email but they don't have anything until March and I'm there late January. I have to call and see if they can come up with another interviewer soon.

Might be nicer to wait until March and just take it easy; January is a tough month.

When were you complete?

Also, has AE given out any pre-interview rejections yet? I'm sorry I didn't look through the whole thread!!

Hey Reg,

Congrats either way! Curious when were you complete? I am wondering if there is any order still. Thanks! :idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.