2009-2010 Albert Einstein College of Medicine (AECOM) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
waitlisted, sort of suprised. I thought this was my worst interview by far. I was practically breaking down. Don't care though, I didn't like this school.

interviewer was kind of arrogant and mean. students were sort of awkward and not into being there. Also, sort of bad quality of life.

I was accepted but I am more than likely declining my seat. However, there is no need to verbally berate the school in what seems to be your way of displacing disappointment over your application not being validated even though you don't care to attend. I'm sure a lot of people here are very excited and enthusiastic about getting accepted. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted but I am more than likely declining my seat. However, there is no need to verbally berate the school in what seems to be your way of displacing disappointment over your application not being validated even though you don't care to attend. I'm sure a lot of people here are very excited and enthusiastic about getting accepted. :thumbup:

when did you interview?

31Q, OOS, cGPA 3.66, sGPA 3.6

I liked Einstein a lot, but I've already been accepted to one of my top choices in my state. I wasn't the biggest fan of their interview day itself... I had to miss part of the tour to go to an afternoon interview :(

Members don't see this ad :)

i don't think that post was as extreme as you're making it out to be. i kind of agreed with that poster's sentiments, actually. he/she was just posting their honest opinion of the school and i don't think it crossed the line into insulting.

so has anyone who interviewed in dec heard back? just trying to figure out if i should assume a rejection

i don't think that post was as extreme as you're making it out to be. i kind of agreed with that poster's sentiments, actually. he/she was just posting their honest opinion of the school and i don't think it crossed the line into insulting.

I don't think the whole post was extreme. I'll take back my statement about "verbally berating." It's perfectly fine if you were disappointed by the school or you thought your interviewer was arrogant but I think it is unnecessary to make blanket statements about students not enjoying their lives.

so has anyone who interviewed in dec heard back? just trying to figure out if i should assume a rejection

I interviewed in Dec, too. No word.

From the responses so far it seems as though they've only been accepting/waitlisting people up to about the second week of November. This isn't really surprising given that you wait 6 to 10 weeks in most schools, and holidays always seem to interfere with the admissions process.

My guess is we'll hear back some time this month. I'm just glad I didn't interview in Sept, because then I'd be freaking out!

From the responses so far it seems as though they've only been accepting/waitlisting people up to about the second week of November. This isn't really surprising given that you wait 6 to 10 weeks in most schools, and holidays always seem to interfere with the admissions process.

My guess is we'll hear back some time this month. I'm just glad I didn't interview in Sept, because then I'd be freaking out!

Hey,
early/mid december interview here too. no word. I think we can just relax and not worry about Einstein for now!

I went on their website and found the page on wailist:

http://www.einstein.yu.edu/admissions/page.aspx?id=722&ekmensel=15074e5e_1106_1118_722_3

It's unranked and they encourage you to tell them if the school is your first choice. Although how does an unranked wait list work exactly?

One thing I don't get is that they state by May the wait list "is reevaluated"; is that another way of saying that they relook at the waitlistee's application and can either reject or keep them on the list?

I don't think the whole post was extreme. I'll take back my statement about "verbally berating." It's perfectly fine if you were disappointed by the school or you thought your interviewer was arrogant but I think it is unnecessary to make blanket statements about students not enjoying their lives.

:shrug: i'm less than enthused about einstein due to quality of life issues as well. and at my interview day i noticed that the students didn't seem super happy to be there. not sure what's wrong with anyone commenting on either of those things.

:shrug: i'm less than enthused about einstein due to quality of life issues as well. and at my interview day i noticed that the students didn't seem super happy to be there. not sure what's wrong with anyone commenting on either of those things.

To each his/her own, I suppose. I mean, I won't lie, I wasn't incredibly impressed with the school when I interviewed either. However, I didn't sense that the students seemed unhappy. Regardless, to me, the response we're discussing seemed more of one venting frustration than actually providing thoughtful conversation/analysis. Enough of this for me though! I find it funny that neither of us are attending school but we're both discussing it. :laugh:

I think I had the latest interview date of the people accepted thus far (November 18).

And although the students I interviewed with seemed to recognize that the Bronx is a less ideal place to live than perhaps Manhattan, I thought they were very, very happy and enthusiastic about their school.

But of course I think our own biases greatly influence how we perceive others', right?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm confused now. I thought that the acceptance, waitlist, and rejections were supposed to come out today, and it seems like it has. I interviewed in October, but I have nothing on my status page that is new. Does anyone know what this means? Maybe rejected?

So I'm confused now. I thought that the acceptance, waitlist, and rejections were supposed to come out today, and it seems like it has. I interviewed in October, but I have nothing on my status page that is new. Does anyone know what this means? Maybe rejected?

einstein has a status page?

I think I had the latest interview date of the people accepted thus far (November 18).

And although the students I interviewed with seemed to recognize that the Bronx is a less ideal place to live than perhaps Manhattan, I thought they were very, very happy and enthusiastic about their school.

But of course I think our own biases greatly influence how we perceive others', right?

I totally agree w/ this statement, i have several friends currently enrolled and they couldn't be happier, and my perception was the the students were satisfied w/ the school (but again perhaps it was my own bias). :)

I certainly hope they have just not reviewed my file (interviewed 11/23). I am a huge fan of the school.

Congrats to those accepted! Keep your head up to those that have silence

Actualy, you misunderstand me. I don't care at all that my application was not validated, and I'm shocked they didn't just reject me. My on-campus experience only reflects my "feel" during the interview. Other people probably have different impressions.

Providing negative opinions is venting frustration? I didn't give a review of this school when I interviewed, so I just dropped my impressions now that I got a response. I'm not frustrated about anything.

PS: I had an Einstein medical student on my interview day tell me, "If you get into Mt. Sinai, definetly go there. That place is way nicer."

Last edited:
Assuming rejected. Interviewed in September and didn't hear today.

Assuming rejected. Interviewed in September and didn't hear today.

Probably

Short story of how I thought the same thing: School was emailing everyone telling them they were accepted/waitlisted--including people who'd interviewed after me. I never got an email so I thought I was rejected. I called a week later and they told me they'd been sending their decision to an old email address (from two years ago!). Got the email, and I'm waitlisted.

Just saying it's possible.

No news for 11/23 interviewer here... Hopefully they didn't do this date yet! I'm really hoping I get in here. I need a first acceptance!

I thought the students at AECOM were the happiest students I saw at any school, and I observed this up close and also at a distance, when people could not have possibly been putting on a show for an interviewee...

Nonetheless, I am turning it down, but I liked the school and the people, but I think the Bronx location would get really old...

they seemed content

everyone praised the pass/fail system the first 2 years, which is huge

When I interviewed there, I thought the students were quite content. I happen to like the location in regards to the community they served.

I was wondering if waitlisted people receive the background check/certiphi e-mail. My e-mail server was down for the majority of the morning, and I have not received any e-mail from einstein. I have received a background check e-mail from aamc, though.

I didn't get the background check email although I'm currently waitlisted.

When I was there, the students were really keen on answering every question we had and the lunch gave a really amiable atmosphere; professors came up to our table so it was definitely more welcoming than the others places I've been too.

As for the location, I liked the campus although I didn't get a chance to sit in any of the classes. As for the surrounding area, I'll probably be commuting from home so it's not an issue for me.

Btw, does anyone recall is Einstein said we are allowed to use Mt. Sinai's resources like their library?

I didn't get the background check email although I'm currently waitlisted.

When I was there, the students were really keen on answering every question we had and the lunch gave a really amiable atmosphere; professors came up to our table so it was definitely more welcoming than the others places I've been too.

As for the location, I liked the campus although I didn't get a chance to sit in any of the classes. As for the surrounding area, I'll probably be commuting from home so it's not an issue for me.

Btw, does anyone recall is Einstein said we are allowed to use Mt. Sinai's resources like their library?

i remember them saying students can use fordham's library, etc. i'm not sure about sinai's though.

Does einstein defer any decisions to a later date or are they making disposition decisions for everyone pre-december at once?

Does einstein defer any decisions to a later date or are they making disposition decisions for everyone pre-december at once? AKA, is silence at auto rejection.

I know this has probably been answered, but I'll ask anyway and hopefully someone would be kind of enough to answer?

Einstein is my top choice---but no interview invite yet. Should I send a letter of interest? Top choice, meaning..if I get in, I will definitely go there.
You definitely should. But Einstein is touchy about taking updates and they are completely paperless so make it short, email it and NOT as an attachment, cut and paste it into the text of the email, and hope for a nice lady to add it to your file - it's a crap shoot... sometimes they ignore it and sometimes they do add it. it sucks but that's the way it is (i've gotten both types of responses!)

Based on last year's thread, it looks like the adcom had one more meeting before the end of January to send their decisions out for late nov/early dec group. Not sure how admission may be affected in being in this group as opposed to the first group.

^ Me anxiously waiting for a first acceptance :(

Were people notified of scholarships in the admission letter?

I would like to know this as well. Someone in this thread claimed to be receiving a substantial scholarship in their mdapps.

On interview day they informed us that URM acceptees for Einstein receive a half tuition scholarship to attend. That brings the tuition down to about that of SUNY Downstate. Other than that, I don't think scholarship has been announced.
Disadvantaged students regardless of URM status are considered. It is not exactly half-tuition. You get between $18000 and $22000 depending on need. It is also not automatic. You have to send in additional recommendation letters for that award.

Disadvantaged students regardless of URM status are considered. It is not exactly half-tuition. You get between $18000 and $22000 depending on need. It is also not automatic. You have to send in additional recommendation letters for that award.

Ok cool, thanks for letting me know. What I gathered from a few of the AECOM students on interview day was that what I said was the case but they were probably trying to get me to see some of the advantages of AECOM without the specifics or maybe they just weren't very knowledgeable about the subject matter (who knows). Maybe I should have gathered more info before jumping the gun. My fault.

Last edited:
Congrats to all your acceptances guys!

Anyone interviewing next month? Ill be there. Just hope that I don't have to wait so long afterwards! What seems to be the average amount of time from interview date to notification?

Congrats to all your acceptances guys!

Anyone interviewing next month? Ill be there. Just hope that I don't have to wait so long afterwards! What seems to be the average amount of time from interview date to notification?

January 15th was the first day that everyone found out their post interview status for most of the interviews last year. Not sure if they become rolling after that date.

Ok cool, thanks for letting me know. What I gathered from a few of the AECOM students on interview day was that what I said was the case but they were probably trying to get me to see some of the advantages of AECOM without the specifics or maybe they just weren't very knowledgeable about the subject matter (who knows). Maybe I should have gathered more info before jumping the gun. My fault.
Yeah I was told the same thing by the students until I spoke to the director of the multicultural/diversity office. You know how people get riled up when they hear of URMs getting some sort of 'advantage'.:laugh: I just wanted the correct message to get out there that yes, URMs as well as disadvantaged students (who may be majority students) get some type of recruitment scholarship

So, I've got an interview here, but its not until Feb. 23rd. I was thinking of e-mailing/calling to see if there were any openings for interviews before that. Has anyone had any success with this at Einstein? Feb. 23rd just seems so late, I'm worried that my chances of an acceptance would be slim at that point. Am I right to worry?

:clap: CONGRATS to all who got in last week!! :hardy: I didn't get anything on the 15th, so am I to expect the worst?? a rejection perhaps?

So, I've got an interview here, but its not until Feb. 23rd. I was thinking of e-mailing/calling to see if there were any openings for interviews before that. Has anyone had any success with this at Einstein? Feb. 23rd just seems so late, I'm worried that my chances of an acceptance would be slim at that point. Am I right to worry?

February interview for Einstein isn't extremely late, just late compared to some other schools. Einstein interviews into April and a good portion of the people that I met on my interview day interviewed in the second half of the cycle. Plus last year they accepted 521 people for the 180 slots that they have in their class. I wouldn't worry too much about it but you can always try to get an earlier one if that's what you want. They may have one if someone had to withdraw an interview. I know it has worked at a few other schools.

:clap: CONGRATS to all who got in last week!! :hardy: I didn't get anything on the 15th, so am I to expect the worst?? a rejection perhaps?

Possibly, if you interviewed early last year :(

Congrats to those who heard. I interviewed early Oct and didn't hear anything, unfortunately :(. I've assumed rejection, but until I get a letter, I suppose that I will keep some hope alive. Again- congrats to acceptees- Einstein seems like a great school!

So I got in touch with admissions and apparently a decision hasn't been made on my file yet. Interesting.

Just out of curiosity...why do you care? You're in at Hopkins, Sinai, and Cornell...which are all significantly higher ranked the Einstein and at least in the case of Sinai and Cornell in Manhattan vs. the Bronx (which may or may not be a positive depending on your personal preferences). Why not just withdraw?

Interviewed December 2nd
Rejected

:(

Honestly, my interview wasn't too bad. In fact, it was one of the better ones I've had so I am a bit surprised. I was hoping for at least a waitlist. Oh well.

Last edited:
I interviewed in January, about how long should I expect to wait for a response. When do the next batch of decisions go out? Thanks!

Interviewed December 2nd
Rejected

Honestly, my interview wasn't too bad. In fact, it was one of the better ones I've had so I am a bit surprised. I was hoping for at least a waitlist. Oh well.

Sorry to hear that. Did you get an e-mail though? There's some of us who interviewed early and haven't heard anything. Good luck on the rest of ur apps though. You never know.

Interviewed December 2nd
Rejected

I'm sorry to hear that Softmed. How did you find out? Snail mail or email?

Best of luck w/ the rest of your apps

Status
Not open for further replies.