2009-2010 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was planning on sending my 1st letter of interest soon. I interviewed a while back and was put on the alternate list... any idea if this moves a lot? I kind of assume it does come May XX -- the date everyone chooses one school.

Thanks for the info. Good luck to those waiting to hear about interviews etc

I got alternate listed, too. Their fact sheet says they accepted something like 300/500 interviewees last year, so I'm guessing that there will indeed be plenty of movement.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel pretty fortunate to have an acceptance right now. But I really liked Loyola so hopefully I get on through that alternate list. I have a feeling I'm going to be planning on moving to one city and then have to change last minute haha... cross cross country road trip.

Good luck to you too and maybe we'll be have some luck once May 15 rolls around

So here's the deal, I've been accepted to Rush already and waitlisted at Loyola Chicago. I'm pretty sure, given the choice between the two, that I would take Loyola Chicago over Rush. I'm wondering what my options are here. If May 15th comes around and I haven't been accepted to Loyola Chicago, and I give my 'final' yes to Rush, how 'final' is it? IE, if movement happens on the waitlist for Loyola and I get a letter of acceptance, in a pinch can I drop Rush and say yes to Loyola? Any advice here is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
So here's the deal, I've been accepted to Rush already and waitlisted at Loyola Chicago. I'm pretty sure, given the choice between the two, that I would take Loyola Chicago over Rush. I'm wondering what my options are here. If May 15th comes around and I haven't been accepted to Loyola Chicago, and I give my 'final' yes to Rush, how 'final' is it? IE, if movement happens on the waitlist for Loyola and I get a letter of acceptance, in a pinch can I drop Rush and say yes to Loyola? Any advice here is appreciated!

Don't worry! You can choose Loyola right up before your M1 year begins. The only thing you will lose is whatever money they have you put down after the May 15th deadline (Usually like 100 bucks or somethin). I was put in your same situation a little while ago. The key is that you only have to drop all but one ACCEPTANCES. You can keep as many waitlists as you like :). Gl to you

any interview invites lately? I know its most likely a rejection...but there is still at least a week left, right? it would def be a nice surprise :)

any interview invites lately? I know its most likely a rejection...but there is still at least a week left, right? it would def be a nice surprise :)

if i got an interview invite at this point i'd never doubt the existence of god again and if i got accepted after that, I'd probably have to commit my life to saving and preaching to children in a third world country. haha

if i got an interview invite at this point i'd never doubt the existence of god again and if i got accepted after that, I'd probably have to commit my life to saving and preaching to children in a third world country. haha

hahaha i know what u mean. Have u decided between SIU and RFU yet?

Just got the email saying our Fin. Aid reports are ready. Problem is I cannot login to Locus. Anyone know how to get our initial password???

Just got the email saying our Fin. Aid reports are ready. Problem is I cannot login to Locus. Anyone know how to get our initial password???

just went through all documents i've received (email, snail mail) from loyola, and they never say how to login...also tried default passwords like amcas id, birthdate, to no avail. sigh, have to wait till the morning i suppose.

just went through all documents i've received (email, snail mail) from loyola, and they never say how to login...also tried default passwords like amcas id, birthdate, to no avail. sigh, have to wait till the morning i suppose.
Ditto. Looks like I'll be callin' Locus up, lol

Ditto. Looks like I'll be callin' Locus up, lol

For your temporary password I think you use your first initial followed by your last initial then your birthdate xx-xx-xx

Last edited:
Question:
I'm on the alternate list and I'm sending in an update letter today or tomorrow, should I address it to simply "Loyola Stritch School of Medicine Admissions Committee" (which is kind of a lot...) or just "Dr. Muraskas" and/or "Dean Jones"? Help me!
Also would it be weird if I called them to try to talk about my application. I called earlier this fall, and Dr. Muraskas was really nice, and acted like it was completely normal, so I'm not sure...

For your temporary password I think you use your first initial followed by your last initial then your birthdate xx-xx-xx
Just got that email, but it works for LUMEN and not Locus... hmmm

Members don't see this ad :)
Loved this school, but just got into SIU. Wihdrew via e-mail.
Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Dear Loyola,

God hates silent rejections. you should work on this.

Giving up hope in "flagged for review" limbo from hell,
red10

Haven't posted before, but I was accepted :). Got an email about my Lumen account on Tuesday night (7pm-ish) but no news about actually being accepted. I called the admissions office the next morning and found out I was accepted.

I believe I submitted my application within 3 days of the deadline, and am OOS.

Called in mid-march for my first status check and was under review, then within 3 days was called with an interview invite. Interviewed on 3/30.

does anyone know if loyola has set a start date for the fall semester for new students? MSAR says july 2010, but does anyone know if there's an official date yet?

Sorry, haven't been on SDN for a while, but I just wanted to mention they're still interviewing! I know people (besides myself) with interviews this week, so there's still hope.

Just to let everyone know - the last interview is tomorrow. I just called to find out so I'd know when the alternate list might start moving.

What's the liklihood that there will be movement from the waitlist before May 15th?

Any chance of knowing where you fall in ranking as an alternate ? I'm a concerned mom by the way-jr has no idea I am online :smuggrin:

It is my understanding that Loyola doesn't have an "official" ranking for the waitlist. So if you call in (after may15th) they might give you general odds, but not a ranking. In past years there has been quite a bit of movement off the waitlist. Some people who got in off the list called and emailed all the time, others never contacted them once. Best of luck to you all!

Last edited:
Thanks Mr. Mixup ! These are agonizing times for the kids trying to get into Med Schools...it's such a kindness that you young doctors come here and give these kids the benefit of your experiences. :love:

Loyola doesn't have an official ranking for the waitlist. So if you call in (after may15th) they might give you very general odds, but not a ranking. In past years there has been quite a bit of movement off the waitlist. Some people who got in off the list called and emailed all the time, others never contacted them once. Best of luck to you all!

Interesting - when I interviewed, the admissions office told me there was a definite ranking system (that's established after the final acceptances are sent out), but that we weren't allowed to find out where we stood on the list. So I'm not sure what the deal is.

Hm Snoopy if the last interview was April 23, then the last acceptance must be under review right now? I would think they will extend invites to those on the list of alternates ( according to where they rank ) as candidates accepted elsewhere withdraw up until May 15, then they can really move thru the list of alternates. ???? Does that sound right ?

hmmm, i think that they will probably just hold on to those open spots until May 15th anyway, I mean those two weeks might be an eternity to those of us waiting, but to them I imagine it's probably just an insignificant amount of time... :confused:

Hm Snoopy if the last interview was April 23, then the last acceptance must be under review right now? I would think they will extend invites to those on the list of alternates ( according to where they rank ) as candidates accepted elsewhere withdraw up until May 15, then they can really move thru the list of alternates. ???? Does that sound right ?

Well to be honest I'm not sure what the exact process is; each school is different, but the way you said it makes the most sense, and I suspect most med schools do operate that way. But I believe the final acceptances have already been sent out. They met the Monday of this week, and I think phone calls were made over the last 2 days. So the class is officially full now, as far as I can estimate.

I do know a substantial amount of the class comes of the wait list. It varies from year to year, but anywhere between 10 to as much as 30% of the class was once on the alternate list. So there's hope for everyone; it's a great school and hopefully everyone here who's interviewed gets an acceptance at some point.

Finally...a response from this school. Rejected.

Got into much better schools, so who cares :D

Finally...a response from this school. Rejected.

Got into much better schools, so who cares :D

o_O not many people manage to get straight up rejected. You must have made a good impression. :thumbup:

Hey all,
I just called in and they said that the class is currently full, so there won't be any waitlist movement until people drop. Just thought everyone on the alternate list would like to know.
--D

Hey Folks,

I just called the office. They said there has been some waitlist movement this week, although the class is currently full at 150.

Anyone hear anything lately? I'm trying to avoid calling because I have the feeling I was becoming annoying...

Hey all. New to this but wanted to know if anyone had heard anything about movement or the number of acceptances they offered from the waitlist thus far?

I called last Friday and the class was full.

Anyone accepted off the wait list this week? :confused: I have heard that there has only been a little movement so far. I am hoping that there will be LOTS of movement in the near future!

I just called in, and they said that waitlist movement this year has been MUCH slower than in previous year, surprising all of them - as a result, they can't even give you a general idea of your chances.

Just withdrew my acceptance today after being accepted off the waitlist at another school. . .hope you get this spot!

Hey All! Did anyone find out if the movement has been speeding up, or has it still been slow? Would you please share the info with all of us? Thanks!

I called again last week, a day or two after hearing that a spot had opened up. They said there has still been no appreciable waitlist movement. I'm probably not going to call again, as I'm almost certainly becoming annoying.

I called again last week, a day or two after hearing that a spot had opened up. They said there has still been no appreciable waitlist movement. I'm probably not going to call again, as I'm almost certainly becoming annoying.

Thanks DRLaut. I ended up calling them today, and there is still very little movement off the waitlist :(. Over the past few years however, there was a lot of movement. I wonder why it has been so slow this year! Hopefully a miracle will dramatically increase the waitlist movement in the very near future...

Status
Not open for further replies.