2010-2011 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know that you need an advisor letter unless its a graduate program.

Oh, I hadn't realized this was a graduate-specific thing. I thought perhaps my institution was just slacking :p Thanks for the clarification.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I'm a reapplicant and Mrs. Wheeler whom usually responds to the emails sent to the admissions email told me in person that it is ok to use your old essays.

The main thing is add in the reapplicant box what is new.

Well a lot of the internal med people do it to go into subspecialties. They post the fellowship matches outside of evans every year. Seems like most IM residents are in it for the subspecialties that come later on.

BU is known for research, BMC is a major inner city hospital with a trauma level 1 center for emergencies.

The majority of the gross anatomy/histo professors are part of the department of neurobiology so you see a lot focused on neuro related research at different levels. a lot of it has to do with neurodegeneration but there are other focuses too in the neurobio department.

But there's a lot of different kind of research going on here.

Also BU has a lot with international medical opportunities, much like GWU.

Other then that not sure what else to add. I've heard its clinical experience is really good though from people who are med students here.

If any other GMS or BU med students want to chime in and are lurking they are free to do so. This is what little i can contribute. You'd probably get a better sense from BU med students what they could add.

Thanks for the advice gujuDoc! I also read your post earlier in this thread about not using the optional section to explain why you like the school. For re-applicants, the optional section has been changed to the re-applicant comment box. I plan on writing what I've done this past year plus a few other things, but there isn't much more I can write. I was hoping to use this section to explain why I want to go to the school and how it suits me. Are you saying this isn't a good idea?

4. Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. (2000 character limit, approximately 400 words)

Alright so i need some input...When I first read this question I thought they were directly referring to studying abroad (not sure why). Now, im debating about what to write about. I have played NCAA Division 1 volleyball, and I have traveled to and lived in Tanzania for 2 months. Is this the type of "advanced training in sports" or "experiencing a culture unlike my own" that they are referring to? And any personal opinions about what sounds more interesting?

to be honest I find it kind of pathetic that a school that does not screen for secondaries is taking this long (every other school that does not screen seemed to be much more on top of it, I added Einstein later on and got their secondary a day later). Boston is slowly moving to the bottom of my list

Wow, that's logical. Move a school down your list because of their admissions practices.

Did you like the font they used in the app? If not, I'd scratch BU.

to be honest I find it kind of pathetic that a school that does not screen for secondaries is taking this long (every other school that does not screen seemed to be much more on top of it, I added Einstein later on and got their secondary a day later). Boston is slowly moving to the bottom of my list

Eh, I wouldn't count that as a bad. You will learn quickly in this process that patience is a virtue and necessity. Also, having interviewed at BU, I would say they definitely have one of the more organized admissions departments compared to other schools. AECOM is notoriously UNORGANIZED. There are actually still a handful of students who have interviewed last cycle but not even received a preliminary decision yet (Rejected, Accepted, Waitlisted). To me that's a bigger sign of disorganization than not having your secondary out til July.

You're still early in the process. Some schools wait until August to send out secondaries for sometimes the simple reason that they don't want to look at applications until then.

Patience=Key. Learn it now, because interviewing in October and having to wait to March or April for decisions from some schools is going to be taxing.

Wow, that's logical. Move a school down your list because of their admissions practices.

Did you like the font they used in the app? If not, I'd scratch BU.

well, thats not my only reason actually

for some reason i have a feeling they're not going to lose any sleep over that

Anyone not doing the 4th essay for educational history, the "narrative timeline"? It looks like its also optional, but I feel like they might want something on that one.

Damn, I guess I'm not applying here. They require 1 full year of General Chemistry Lab and 1 full year of Organic Chemistry Lab. I only have a quarter of each, because that is what my school required. Do you guys think thats okay? Anyone else in the same boat?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Damn, I guess I'm not applying here. They require 1 full year of General Chemistry Lab and 1 full year of Organic Chemistry Lab. I only have a quarter of each, because that is what my school required. Do you guys think thats okay? Anyone else in the same boat?

you sure they dont mean 1 yr gchem with lab and 1 yr ochem with lab? my school doesnt even offer a year's worth of either

You realize that is what most schools require right?

Most schools require 1 Year General Chemistry and Organic either w/ lab included during the 1 year or a semester/quarter of a separate lab class, or at least some sort of lab. This is the first school I've come across that specifically requires 1 year of lab for each.

you sure they dont mean 1 yr gchem with lab and 1 yr ochem with lab? my school doesnt even offer a year's worth of either

From their site:
The biology and chemistry courses must include laboratory exercises. In other words, 1 year of Chemistry lab, 1 year of Organic Chemistry lab, and 1 year of Biology lab are required in addition to their corresponding lecture courses. Calculus, statistics, or other college level mathematics, biochemistry, epidemiology, and molecular biology are recommended but not required.

However, I was looking at last year's BU thread and a lot of people that took 2 quarters were in the same situation submitted, but just commented on it in the additional info box. So I dunno if its okay.
They also require 1 year of biology lab, which I only have 2 quarters of.

From their site:
The biology and chemistry courses must include laboratory exercises. In other words, 1 year of Chemistry lab, 1 year of Organic Chemistry lab, and 1 year of Biology lab are required in addition to their corresponding lecture courses. Calculus, statistics, or other college level mathematics, biochemistry, epidemiology, and molecular biology are recommended but not required.

However, I was looking at last year's BU thread and a lot of people that took 2 quarters were in the same situation submitted, but just commented on it in the additional info box. So I dunno if its okay.
They also require 1 year of biology lab, which I only have 2 quarters of.

what the hell? that is really weird.. my school literally does not even offer a years worth of both chem labs-- I guess if biochem lab counted as ochem lab then yes for ochem but not gchem. Im gonna apply with what I have-- maybe they just have really terrible wording?

i don't understand their lab requirements as well....my school does not offer 1 year worth of lab for gchem and ochem...

i just sent a message to the admissions office telling them my situation, if i get a response i'll let u all know

(btw...this is my virgin message on sdn! ^^)

i don't understand their lab requirements as well....my school does not offer 1 year worth of lab for gchem and ochem...

i just sent a message to the admissions office telling them my situation, if i get a response i'll let u all know

Welcome! Let us know what they say and you will be initiated.

Joining the thread a little late..But I got my secondary on Jun 29 and got word that supplemental application was finalized on Jul 2. I have no clue how they've been choosing to send out the applications, but mine wasn't awesome or anything. I submitted early though, and my last name is near the beginning of the alphabet. The admissions office was also a little short with me when I called, but they ended up being really helpful. Good luck everyone!

I don't know how your quarter system works but every school I applied to wanted 2 semesters of gchm and 2 semesters of ochm each with lab components of those classes.

So that is one year for both. But then I always skip over the quarter requirements cuz I was on a semester based system.

we have chem lab as a separate class entirely-- maybe that is equivalent to a full year of having it as a "component"?

Soo, how "optional" are these optional essays? Is it bad to not write anything?

it's ok honey, go hang out with your friends, i'm fine i don't mind at all

Soo, how "optional" are these optional essays? Is it bad to not write anything?

The optional essay is optional and definitely NOT what they want to read if it's "why BU" (as they said). I would say though that the "educational" experience essay isn't so optional, even though they say it is...

Just my .02

The optional essay is optional and definitely NOT what they want to read if it's "why BU" (as they said). I would say though that the "educational" experience essay isn't so optional, even though they say it is...

Just my .02

Ok.

I have two options in mind for the educational experience essay:
-attending a Catholic school (as a non-Catholic) for most of my primary education
or
-participating in an accelerated math/science program in high school, through which I completed my first independent research project

or are they looking for something more recent, i.e. college??

Ok.

I have two options in mind for the educational experience essay:
-attending a Catholic school (as a non-Catholic) for most of my primary education
or
-participating in an accelerated math/science program in high school, through which I completed my first independent research project

or are they looking for something more recent, i.e. college??

It's open ended, but I think something more recent might be more powerful.

I wanna apply here but I don't have any unique educational experience. Does leaving that blank really look bad? Anybody else leaving it blank?:( I am not sure if I should add this school.

Last edited:
Those of you who have received secondaries - have your apps been verified? Has anyone who hasn't been verified yet gotten secondaries from Boston U? Just wonderin' :)

Does the unique educational experience only apply to classes/courses? I've had some unique extracurricular and work experiences (which I cover in Question #2), but nothing that noteworthy in terms of classes or studying abroad. I'm really not sure what they are looking for here.

Do you guys think it's ok to leave this blank?

I wanna apply here but I don't have any unique educational experience. Does leaving that blank really look bad? Anybody else leaving it blank?:( I am not sure if I should add this school.

I'm not really sure, I think my personal statement does a pretty good job at highlighting my "unique educational experiences." I think I'm going to leave it blank. I wrote a really good optional essay though about a personal experience (that I guess you can also say is "educational"), hopefully that'll make them interested.

Did you email them or use the message system? I'm going to message them as well to verify, hopefully they are checking the message system this early.

I have taken an entire degree worth of cellular biology/ biochemistry. Do I include all these semester hours in the pre-req grid or just the one or two inroductory ones? If you take more than the required biology courses, do you indicate all semester hours or just the 1 year with lab that is required?

Thanks!

In the prerequisite grid should I list courses like physical and analytical chemistry under the general chem catagories? Also should I include all my humanities classes (once I took 4 per semester) and is it worth including 1 unit / semester hour music classes that I took every semester as humanities semesters? Thank you!

The pre-med advisory committee at my university doesn't send an actual letter written by the committee; they just put together my LORs and send them to AMCAS as a letter packet. Do you think Is should mark this as a committee letter on the BU secondary? It's a group of letters from the committee, so I don't know if it would count... Thanks!

just applied here. love to get a chance here. I would love 2 b in Boston:xf:

Those of you who have received secondaries - have your apps been verified? Has anyone who hasn't been verified yet gotten secondaries from Boston U? Just wonderin' :)

I received the secondary email 7/10 and my primary application has not yet been verified.

Wow, anyone else confused by the prerequisite grid?

It only limits you to 20 semester units. What if you took 51 semester units of biology at a preferred institution (4-year university) and 18 semester units of biology at a non-preferred institution (community college), how would you input this? What should I put for the section asking how many semester units were taken at a preferred institution out of 20 (the max units it will let me input)?? :confused:

Did you email them or use the message system? I'm going to message them as well to verify, hopefully they are checking the message system this early.

Yeah I used the message system. Still no responses yet. I'll wait until Monday or Tuesday before I give them a call.

In the prerequisite grid, I took some biochemistry, genetics and cell bgiology- do I include those courses under the general biology class list too?

Example: I took 6 biology courses (3 of which were genetics, biochemistry and cell biology) - should I list 6 biology classes or 3 since those classes are included later?

In the prerequisite grid, I took some biochemistry, genetics and cell bgiology- do I include those courses under the general biology class list too?

Example: I took 6 biology courses (3 of which were genetics, biochemistry and cell biology) - should I list 6 biology classes or 3 since those classes are included later?

I listed them twice.. one for general bio and then again for the recommended courses. If anyone thinks it's otherwise.. please let me know!!! I'm trying to submit today..

Also, can anyone share what type of experience the put in question #4? I feel like they're looking for a specific type of educational experience and I don't want to put something stupid lol. Thanks for all of your help! :love:

I listed them twice.. one for general bio and then again for the recommended courses. If anyone thinks it's otherwise.. please let me know!!! I'm trying to submit today..

Also, can anyone share what type of experience the put in question #4? I feel like they're looking for a specific type of educational experience and I don't want to put something stupid lol. Thanks for all of your help! :love:

Hmm...I may do the same thing you did with the bio.

For the educational experience, I wrote about a special high school science program I was a part of and how I benefited from it. Hope it works. :p

At my uni the general biology courses were each divided into two parts, and of the entire year of bio included blocks of genetics, biochemistry and cell bio, but I didn't double count for the grid. I just clarified in the text box below that the year of bio included genetics and cell bio. Then since I took upper level biochem I listed that under recommended. If you double count your courses you should probably explain that in the text box so when they look at your transcript they understand how you filled in the grid. I don't think there is a "right" way to fill it out as long as you explain as needed.

As for #4, I would just say if you cannot figure out what to say then you probably don't need to fill it out. During my undergrad I studied abroad and lived with a host family. I completely left this out because I didn't feel like I could expand beyond a sentence or two while keeping it concise, and they would already know this information from the rest of my app.

At my uni the general biology courses were each divided into two parts, and of the entire year of bio included blocks of genetics, biochemistry and cell bio, but I didn't double count for the grid. I just clarified in the text box below that the year of bio included genetics and cell bio. Then since I took upper level biochem I listed that under recommended. If you double count your courses you should probably explain that in the text box so when they look at your transcript they understand how you filled in the grid. I don't think there is a "right" way to fill it out as long as you explain as needed.

As for #4, I would just say if you cannot figure out what to say then you probably don't need to fill it out. During my undergrad I studied abroad and lived with a host family. I completely left this out because I didn't feel like I could expand beyond a sentence or two while keeping it concise, and they would already know this information from the rest of my app.

I think you're right. I might just leave it blank then. It just felt like if I left this one empty.. it kind of gives off the idea that I have nothing "special" or extra to offer. But yeah, I'll leave it blank because I think I covered all of my activities and everything in my personal statement and the AMCAS app. Thanks so much!!

for question 2: Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after college?

Did anyone get cut off before 1400 characters?? It is only showing 850-900 characters of what I wrote for that section in the preview, and there isn't even physical space for more. I can't tell if there is something buggy with my account or if they screwed up with the character limit somehow. :confused::confused::confused:

The same thing happened for question 4 (timeline/narrative). I checked character count and both are under 1400 characters. I'm confused.

FOr question 2 as well, are you expecting to med school after college

I am "technically" planning to go to med school after graduation but I have a year in between. So would I have to explain.

for question 2: Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after college?

Did anyone get cut off before 1400 characters?? It is only showing 850-900 characters of what I wrote for that section in the preview, and there isn't even physical space for more. I can't tell if there is something buggy with my account or if they screwed up with the character limit somehow. :confused::confused::confused:

The same thing happened for question 4 (timeline/narrative). I checked character count and both are under 1400 characters. I'm confused.

This happened to me initially. I switched browsers and it worked. I had to delete it, rewrite it (or re-paste it) in the text box. Eventually it worked out. I was initially confused about it as well. Keep trying, let me know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebusiness85
Can someone give me some advice on this question?

3. If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.)

I went to college from September 2004 - November 2008. I actually finished all of my academic requirements in 4 years, as expected, in June 2008. But right before graduation, I had some minor disciplinary action taken against me, and my diploma was withheld from me for 6 months, which is why I didn't technically "graduate" until November of that year.

I explained this in my AMCAS. Do you think I need to explain it here again? It just sucks bringing this incident to their attention now a *second* time, because I technically spent the normal 4 years doing the actual work and therefore shouldn't have to respond to this question.

Oy vey. Any advice would help.

The problem is that it doesn't look like there is any question on this secondary that asks for disciplinary action.

Does anyone think I have to definitely talk about this in this response for question 3? -- I hate having to bring it to their attention once on my AMCAS and now here again, it was just some stupid thing I did.

Wow, anyone else confused by the prerequisite grid?

It only limits you to 20 semester units. What if you took 51 semester units of biology at a preferred institution (4-year university) and 18 semester units of biology at a non-preferred institution (community college), how would you input this? What should I put for the section asking how many semester units were taken at a preferred institution out of 20 (the max units it will let me input)?? :confused:

bump :)... The prereq grid is really confusing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.