2010-2011 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bump :)... The prereq grid is really confusing to me.

It is semesters. Not semester units.

If you went to a school with quarters, enter the number of quarters and explain that they are quarters below.

Members don't see this ad.

It is semesters. Not semester units.

Wow... how did I miss that?? :eek: Lol, thanks for pointing that out!!! I did send BUSM a message, this was their reply:

"Please do not double count courses on the grid. Put biochemistry in the biochemistry section (I asked if biochem would go under "Biochem" or both "Biochem" and "Biology"). If your courses exceed 20 please explain below the grid. In the preferred institution section only put courses from a 4 year college."

If you went to a school with quarters, enter the number of quarters and explain that they are quarters below.

But it says in the instructions:
If your undergraduate institution uses a quarter system, convert to semesters using the following ratio: 3 quarters = 2 semesters. If your calculation is not a whole number, round up and explain this in the space below the grid.

Wow... how did I miss that?? :eek: Lol, thanks for pointing that out!!! I did send BUSM a message, this was their reply:

"Please do not double count courses on the grid. Put biochemistry in the biochemistry section (I asked if biochem would go under "Biochem" or both "Biochem" and "Biology"). If your courses exceed 20 please explain below the grid. In the preferred institution section only put courses from a 4 year college."

Wow. I messed up on this grid two years ago and I messed up on it again. ughhh. I just realized preferred institution doesn't mean your home university but every 4-year college. I took a few summer courses (stats/biochem) at a 4-year good college in my hometown.. but I didn't include them in the "preferred institution" section -- now they are going to think I went to some CC and didn't include it on my AMCAS. oy vey.

I swear, this chart might be the dumbest I've seen so far in this entire application process.

Members don't see this ad :)

But it says in the instructions:
If your undergraduate institution uses a quarter system, convert to semesters using the following ratio: 3 quarters = 2 semesters. If your calculation is not a whole number, round up and explain this in the space below the grid.

Sorry, that was what I meant. Too much cold medicine:(

Wow. I messed up on this grid two years ago and I messed up on it again. ughhh. I just realized preferred institution doesn't mean your home university but every 4-year college. I took a few summer courses (stats/biochem) at a 4-year good college in my hometown.. but I didn't include them in the "preferred institution" section -- now they are going to think I went to some CC and didn't include it on my AMCAS. oy vey.

I swear, this chart might be the dumbest I've seen so far in this entire application process.

I have to agree with that. I spent HOURS trying to figure it out... only to find out I did it completely wrong... now I have to start it over. I can't believe I somehow thought it was asking for semester units. I mean, I was a neurobiology major, of COURSE I took over 20 semester units of biology!! I knew something was off... That's what I get for trying to fill it out at 3am.

Did you at least explain in the comments section about your situation? If so, then I'm sure they'll figure it out. Plus, if they look at what schools you've attended, they'll see you didn't do community college. I'm sure a lot of people mess up the grid, it's really confusing!

I'm now worried because they really emphasized that they would prefer everything to be taken at a 4-year institution. I had to start out at a community college first (financial reasons), then transfer to a 4-year university. Of course, the UC's require you to take all the major prereqs (Gchem, physics, at least 1 year of biology, calculus, etc) before they will admit you as a transfer student, so I had no choice but to complete almost all my prereqs at my community college. I was under the impression that med schools don't care too much about community college, as long as you prove your worthiness at the university. Anyone know BUSM's policy on community college transfer students?

Last edited:
I have to agree with that. I spent HOURS trying to figure it out... only to find out I did it completely wrong... now I have to start it over. I can't believe I somehow thought it was asking for semester units. I mean, I was a neurobiology major, of COURSE I took over 20 semester units of biology!! I knew something was off... That's what I get for trying to fill it out at 3am.

Did you at least explain in the comments section about your situation? If so, then I'm sure they'll figure it out. Plus, if they look at what schools you've attended, they'll see you didn't do community college. I'm sure a lot of people mess up the grid, it's really confusing!

I think the main problem for the grid is that it's just too wordy... and well, I am not patient enough to read it all. I didn't explain that I had taken summer classes outside of my home university because that is pretty easily seen on my AMCAS application (I took 6 classes worth... which might have been too much... but I get bored in the summer. haha). The main thing that was annoying me is the system flagged me for not doing an entire year of gen chem lab... but my school only offers a 2-credit 1 semester lab, so I explained that.

Pretty much my entire BU application is alot of explainations. I'm going to sound like a whiner or something.

Regarding CC -- I think as long as you took all your pre-reqs at a 4-year college, you should be OK. Medical schools should be more understanding about CC credits (if they aren't yet) because I think in the future more students will be starting at CCs before going to college. Honestly, I wish we could have just taken all our pre-reqs at a CC (maybe dedicated to preparing pre-meds) and started medical school after 2 years of community college. This whole going to undergrad and getting into debt for a BA/BS just doesn't make much sense if we then continue on to medical school (and collect more debt). But that's just my opinion. Hopefully BU has a habit of not minding CC credits. :)

Pretty much my entire BU application is alot of explainations. I'm going to sound like a whiner or something.

It's ok, I feel the same way. My educational history is really complicated (dual-enrollment, had to transfer TWICE, have 2 gap years, etc), so I always have to do a lot of explaining.

Regarding CC -- I think as long as you took all your pre-reqs at a 4-year college, you should be OK. Medical schools should be more understanding about CC credits (if they aren't yet) because I think in the future more students will be starting at CCs before going to college. Honestly, I wish we could have just taken all our pre-reqs at a CC (maybe dedicated to preparing pre-meds) and started medical school after 2 years of community college. This whole going to undergrad and getting into debt for a BA/BS just doesn't make much sense if we then continue on to medical school (and collect more debt). But that's just my opinion. Hopefully BU has a habit of not minding CC credits. :)

But the thing is, I had to take the majority of my prereq's at a CC (Gchem, physics, 1 year of bio, calculus, english) just so I could transfer to a UC. Then I took ochem and a lot more bio at the UC. But my GPA remained the same throughout college, so I hope they'll overlook all the community college I had to do.

Yeah, they really do need to get over the CC bias... I mean, classes like physics are still difficult no matter where you take it. My roommate took physics at the university, and from what I could tell, it seemed a lot easier than the physics I took at the CC (in terms of homework load and difficulty of tests).

But the thing is, I had to take the majority of my prereq's at a CC (Gchem, physics, 1 year of bio, calculus, english) just so I could transfer to a UC. Then I took ochem and a lot more bio at the UC. But my GPA remained the same throughout college, so I hope they'll overlook all the community college I had to do.

Yeah, they really do need to get over the CC bias... I mean, classes like physics are still difficult no matter where you take it. My roommate took physics at the university, and from what I could tell, it seemed a lot easier than the physics I took at the CC (in terms of homework load and difficulty of tests).
Oh... I see. See, I am horrible at reading wordy stuff which is why I failed at the BU grid. haha.

I would be slightly concerned that you completed all your pre-reqs at a CC (but hell, as stated above, I think everyone should). Since your GPA didn't drop though once you got to an actual university, it won't look so bad. You also didn't take all your pre-reqs at a CC -- or enroll in a 4-year program but still go off and take your pre-reqs at a CC -- so I think most medical schools will understand. They can always invite you to an interview if they have questions though. :laugh:

Did you email them or use the message system? I'm going to message them as well to verify, hopefully they are checking the message system this early.

I just got a response from them regarding the prerequisite for chem/ochem. Basically I messaged them saying that I took 2 quarters of gchem, 1 quarter of gchem lab, 3 quarters of ochem, 2 quarters of ochem lab, since these are the courses offered at my university. I asked that since I have not taken a whole year worth (i.e. 3 quarters of gchem, 3 quarters of gchem lab, etc) would this count against me in the admissions process? This is the response that I got:

Dear Ms.____

All prerequisites have to be met before matriculation.

Best,
Sarah wheeler

Which is not helpful at all =( What do you guys think?

I just got a response from them regarding the prerequisite for chem/ochem. Basically I messaged them saying that I took 2 quarters of gchem, 1 quarter of gchem lab, 3 quarters of ochem, 2 quarters of ochem lab, since these are the courses offered at my university. I asked that since I have not taken a whole year worth (i.e. 3 quarters of gchem, 3 quarters of gchem lab, etc) would this count against me in the admissions process? This is the response that I got:

Dear Ms.____

All prerequisites have to be met before matriculation.

Best,
Sarah wheeler

Which is not helpful at all =( What do you guys think?

Is this your normal pre-med curriculum at your school?

If your schools normal pre-med requirements are as you stated above, just mention that in your additional comments. My school only offers a one-semester gen chem lab. Technically, my school pre-med reqs required only 1 semester of ochem lab and luckily I took the second semester lab only to get a chem minor (but apparently now it is a requirement).

If you were suppose to take a 3 quarter of gen chem or other labs -- then I suggest you should. But if you weren't and nothing like that if offered, then you should be fine -- just explain in the comment section and submit and not worry about it.

Is this your normal pre-med curriculum at your school?

If your schools normal pre-med requirements are as you stated above, just mention that in your additional comments. My school only offers a one-semester gen chem lab. Technically, my school pre-med reqs required only 1 semester of ochem lab and luckily I took the second semester lab only to get a chem minor (but apparently now it is a requirement).

If you were suppose to take a 3 quarter of gen chem or other labs -- then I suggest you should. But if you weren't and nothing like that if offered, then you should be fine -- just explain in the comment section and submit and not worry about it.

Thanks! I think that I will just submit with an explanation that these are the normal pre-med curriculum at my school. Also, before I saw your response I gave the admissions office a call. The woman who answered was very nice. She said to just explain it in the comments section. They would review the entire application and not reject me just because I don't meet the requirements exactly.

I listed them twice.. one for general bio and then again for the recommended courses. If anyone thinks it's otherwise.. please let me know!!! I'm trying to submit today..

Also, can anyone share what type of experience the put in question #4? I feel like they're looking for a specific type of educational experience and I don't want to put something stupid lol. Thanks for all of your help! :love:

I'm writing on my experiences as an immigrant. I went to school in my native country and had to learn English when I moved to the US. Also, I studied abroad in college in another country, where I stayed with a homestay and learned a third language.

I think you're right. I might just leave it blank then. It just felt like if I left this one empty.. it kind of gives off the idea that I have nothing "special" or extra to offer. But yeah, I'll leave it blank because I think I covered all of my activities and everything in my personal statement and the AMCAS app. Thanks so much!!

My advisor (who is a member of the BUSM adcom) basically said don't write anything if you don't have anything new to write about. In my case, that "topic to #4" was used in my personal statement so I really didn't have anything new to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having trouble entering their letters of recommendation?

Mine just says:
1. Below is a list of letters that I have requested from either the Health Professions Advisory Committee, a Health Professions Advisor, or the three (3) required individual letters of recommendation, two of which are from academicians who know my record of scholarship in Biology, Chemistry, or Physics:

And then there's a box and it says "No records to display."

There doesn't seem to be any way to enter them.

Is this because I didn't specify my LOR for BU on my AMCAS? At the time, I just wasn't sure whose letter I was going to be using.

Do I have to update my LOR on my AMCAS before I can submit this secondary to BU?

Do I have to update my LOR on my AMCAS before I can submit this secondary to BU?
Yes you do. It might be a few days before they show up on the BU secondary, but once they do -- you will be able to submit.

You can mark them on AMCAS even if they haven't been received yet.

submitted 6/30, got the complete email today.

For the LOR requirement, would a letter from a Biochemistry teacher qualify for the Chemistry one or not? I don't want to waste $110 if I don't even meet their requirements. Thanks!

For the LOR requirement, would a letter from a Biochemistry teacher qualify for the Chemistry one or not? I don't want to waste $110 if I don't even meet their requirements. Thanks!

I'm fairly certain that biochem would suffice for their requirements. At least I hope so...since one of my letters came from my biochem prof.

I'm fairly certain that biochem would suffice for their requirements. At least I hope so...since one of my letters came from my biochem prof.

:D okay. I'll probably call tomorrow to double check but I think you're right since the schools always classified Biochem under Chemistry.

Yes you do. It might be a few days before they show up on the BU secondary, but once they do -- you will be able to submit.

You can mark them on AMCAS even if they haven't been received yet.

Do you mean the LORs have to be received by AMCAS before you can submit the secondary to BU, or do you just need to have listed which LORs go to BU on the primary?

I'm still waiting for one more LOR to be sent in. I can't release my letter packet until this last one is sent... ugh :mad:

Also, do you have to wait until your primary is verified before you can submit the secondary to BU? Seems the MCAT and LOR section might be left blank until they receive the verified primary. I submitted my primary 7/1, and from the trends, it looks like it won't be verified for at least another week or so.

I'm really trying to submit this secondary ASAP, and I have everything done except for these last things that are out of my control.

And anyone planning on submitting a photo? I haven't had a chance to take care of that yet. It says it's optional.

Do you mean the LORs have to be received by AMCAS before you can submit the secondary to BU, or do you just need to have listed which LORs go to BU on the primary?

The LORs do not need to be received by AMCAS yet -- just marked on AMCAS that they will be sent to BU. When I filled out the BU supplementary I had to wait until all the LORs they should be receiving showed up on the BU supplementary before I could submit -- I couldn't tell them what LORs were coming.

From the supplementary:
.NOTE: AMCAS does not release the names of your letter writers to individual schools until after your academic record has been verified in their office. ..As a result, you may see letter writer information on the AMCAS site, before it appears here. The letter writer information will be added to our database 5-10 business days after the verification of your AMCAS application. .You will not be able to finalize your supplemental application until the letter information is listed below...

It sounds like you need to wait until your AMCAS is verified before you submit.

I would have everything ready to submit as soon as your are verified and your LORs show on there... unless gujuDoc is right and you can submit now (you can always call boston and ask).

also -- I did upload a pic.

So, if youa re a non-trad, you answer NO to "Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate work?" and then explain? (i.e.a post bac does not count as undergrad work if you already have a degree?)

Right, post-bacs answer no to this question.

if anyone has questions about applying to Boston U feel free to send me a PM.

Hey- is anyone having trouble logging in to their account? when I type in my email/pass it just goes back to the initial page saying

"There was an error with your web login attempt. Please click "Refresh Login Page" and try again. If the problem persists, please contact the Office of Admissions at: [email protected] . "

Don't want to call them just yet though, unless no one else is having this problem. Thanks!

i can't log in either. pretty lame. i emailed them. waiting...

just got an email back.
website down. try tomorrow.

Is anyone having trouble uploading their picture??

I am following their size guidelines but for some reason it wont let me upload.

for the prerequisite grid, 1 class that took 1 semester to complete = "1 semester"? sounds silly but just checking.

for the prerequisite grid, 1 class that took 1 semester to complete = "1 semester"? sounds silly but just checking.

yea

Is anyone having trouble uploading their picture??

I am following their size guidelines but for some reason it wont let me upload.

I haven't uploaded the picture yet, since I'm in a circling pattern right now since I can't submit until AMCAS gets verified and uploads my letters, but just a question about the pic:
It has to be passport style correct? With just a plain background? So, I shouldn't use a picture a friend took of me with Parliament in the background right, even though its just my shoulders up, similar to how a passport one would be anyway? Should I just head down to the pharmacy or film store to get a new passport pic done or could I just take one at home against a light background?

So many questions for one thing, but thanks. Just trying to decide if I should upload I pic I already have or go and get a passport photo taken (don't have any prints of my original passport photo, and that one is crap anyway).

I haven't uploaded the picture yet, since I'm in a circling pattern right now since I can't submit until AMCAS gets verified and uploads my letters, but just a question about the pic:
It has to be passport style correct? With just a plain background? So, I shouldn't use a picture a friend took of me with Parliament in the background right, even though its just my shoulders up, similar to how a passport one would be anyway? Should I just head down to the pharmacy or film store to get a new passport pic done or could I just take one at home against a light background?

So many questions for one thing, but thanks. Just trying to decide if I should upload I pic I already have or go and get a passport photo taken (don't have any prints of my original passport photo, and that one is crap anyway).

i would go with a solid white background. I think its supposed to be a professional picture rather than a casual one, but thats just my take.

i would go with a solid white background. I think its supposed to be a professional picture rather than a casual one, but thats just my take.
:thumbup:

Probably get a haircut, since I need one anyway, just get a photo taken. Thanks

Sorry, but I gotta brag somewhere! Can't really talk with my classmates, so it's my mom and SDN.

Just killed the Step I. 99th percentile and I'm freaking out!

I give BUMC (and hard work) all the credit!!!

I love this med school in every way possible.

Good luck to you all!!!!!

Sorry, but I gotta brag somewhere! Can't really talk with my classmates, so it's my mom and SDN.

Congratulations!! Extreme props.

:thumbup:x100000000

So for the "are you expecting to go to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate education" question, if we apply during our senior year (I'm a reapp that applied during my junior year originally), I'm choosing to go to med school directly after, but have to have a year in between because of applications. Do I put no, and then simply put that same explanation? Or are they referring to if you are choosing to take a year off to do other things before med school, and this doesn't count? I know I'm reading too much into this, but better safe than sorry.

uh... whether you choose to or not you're clearly going to have a gap year

uh... whether you choose to or not you're clearly going to have a gap year

lol. Thanks. I knew it was a stupid question with an obvious answer, but I was being paranoid and felt the need to ask it anyway. Thanks for at least answering. :oops:

Congratulations!! Extreme props.

:thumbup:x100000000

Thanks much HM!!!

But also just learned something, from SDN of course (tho still a bit confused):

There are no percentiles provided for the Step I. So I got a 251/99 and thought that was the 99th percentile. Still don't know what the 99 means but I do know that the 251 rocks!!!!!

I'm sure none of you are interested, but I'm pretty ecstatic, so . . . thanks for letting me share!!!

Oh, and just saw other postd "congrats" so thanks to you all!! Now have to study for my shelf exam tomorrow!!! It never ends, right!!??

Thanks much HM!!!

There are no percentiles provided for the Step I. So I got a 251/99 and thought that was the 99th percentile. Still don't know what the 99 means but I do know that the 251 rocks!!!!!

I'm sure none of you are interested, but I'm pretty ecstatic, so . . . thanks for letting me share!!!

Oh, and just saw other postd "congrats" so thanks to you all!! Now have to study for my shelf exam tomorrow!!! It never ends, right!!??
Dude, we are totally interested!!!! It says a lot that you feel like you can credit some of your success to your school. it makes me like BUSM even more:) Major congratulations!!!

Thanks much HM!!!

according to wikipedia, this year's mean is 221 with a std dev of 21. this means your Z score is 1.43, or ~93rd precentile

I don't blame you, I'd brag about that too!!!! Congrats!!! :)

Dude so guess what??????

I was walking out of the BU med library today to go across the street to my apartment when I ran into one of the indian girls I know who is your year at BU Med. I met her last year and talked to her a couple of different times n the McNary learning rooms. Anyhow, I was waiting for the elevator when I overheard her tell someone on the phone that someone in your class, some girl in your class, got a 274.

274!!!!!!!! That is the highest I've ever heard of anyone getting on the step 1.

The highest I'd ever heard of anyone getting is 260ish til then.

Though 250 and higher is good. seems like the most competitive fields 245 or so and higher seems to be the averages.

Holy crap!!! Maybe BU's Step I average will rocket up this year. We do have an amazing class, no doubt about that!

Most, but not all, of my friends are "happy" with their scores. Though no one says what score they got, of course. That would be tacky and rude!!

Do you know if BU posts its average score? I am so clueless.

Dude, we are totally interested!!!! It says a lot that you feel like you can credit some of your success to your school. it makes me like BUSM even more:) Major congratulations!!!

Thanks so much! I just gotta say it even though it is corny:

I love every single thing about my experience as a med student at BU. COULD NOT POSSIBLY BE HAPPIER. I am even more excited about medicine than I was as a premed -- a lot more excited. The faculty, my fellow students, the research opportunities, my advisor, other mentors who have helped me and supported me, and MUCH more!!! I wake up excited every single day.

Of course, I work like a psycho even tho years 1 and 2 are pass-fail (thank god). But I assume all med students do?! But I love the material so it isn't really bad to work hard. I want to learn the stuff!! It is nothing like college where sometimes you are just studying for the grade.

[NOTE: If I were you I would not even consider a med school that isn't truly pass/fail for at least the first 2 years. I would have been a total basket case if I had grades. Of course, we privately get grades so we know how we're doing, which is critical.]

The group on this thread seem like a particularly nice bunch, so I wish you all the best. If you end up here you will never be sorry. Oh, and Boston is terrific!!

Status
Not open for further replies.