2010-2011 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
n00b question... for entering our courses in different subjects, can they overlap? I mean, if I have indicated i will have taken 2 semesters of English, do I also count those two semesters of English under Humanities? Or x number of Cell biology or Genetics under the broader category of Biology??

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering.. how important is it to write the optional essay.. I am not sure what I could possibly write at this point in time... anyone have suggestions...

Is anyone not writing the optional essay?

On the 13th my app was put on hold while they waited one last reference letter. My supervisor sent the letter in the next day, but my application is still on hold. Should I e-mail or call them to let them know (/will this piss them off?), or should I just wait?

Members don't see this ad :)
n00b question... for entering our courses in different subjects, can they overlap? I mean, if I have indicated i will have taken 2 semesters of English, do I also count those two semesters of English under Humanities? Or x number of Cell biology or Genetics under the broader category of Biology??

I asked BU that question and they said do not overlap!! See my post earlier for the exact message they sent me.

oops I overlapped a Bio class. I explained it though. is that still ok?? :confused:

oops I overlapped a Bio class. I explained it though. is that still ok?? :confused:

Oh, ****. I did too, so I doubt it's a huge problem especially if you explained it. If they really didn't want people to do that, then they should have said something in the directions.

hey guys

I had a quick question about the BU secondary....i did a search but couldnt get a clear answer

"Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate work? "

well, i plan on saying NO, because i got my masters, stayed involved with my community and worked full time.

But what else is the purpose of this section? what else am i supposed to "explain?"

im a re-applicant, if that means anything. thanks again!

Finally submitted this application. That grid made me nauseous... i reviewed it a kabillion times and still feel like something was wrong. Hopefully they do as they said and just use it for statistical purposes.

Some people are saying this "educational timeilne" one is not that optional, but I really don't know how much I have to say here (however, I am writing the other "optional" essay). Do you guys know if it would be ok to leave this blank, or should I write about engineering labs or being an immigrant? I feel like they're looking for something more interesting (on the labs) or recent (on being an immigrant).

gujuDoc (or others), any thoughts on what BUSM is looking for here? Thanks!

Some people are saying this "educational timeilne" one is not that optional, but I really don't know how much I have to say here (however, I am writing the other "optional" essay). Do you guys know if it would be ok to leave this blank, or should I write about engineering labs or being an immigrant? I feel like they're looking for something more interesting (on the labs) or recent (on being an immigrant).

gujuDoc (or others), any thoughts on what BUSM is looking for here? Thanks!

I hope it really is optional because I literally can't think of a single thing to write there. I wrote something for the other optional essay too but unless I come up with something brilliant in my sleep tonight for the 1st optional one, I'll probs leave it blank.

Finally submitted this application. That grid made me nauseous... i reviewed it a kabillion times and still feel like something was wrong. Hopefully they do as they said and just use it for statistical purposes.

this ENTIRE secondary made me nauseous. too many words to read!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused. are you talking about the essay where they ask about other educational experiences that might be special?

Like whether you did study abroad, have been educated in something like music, dance, or art essay?

or are you talking about the essay where they ask about if you've taken longer then 4 years to graduate college?

If it is the former, if you have nothing to add don't write anyting. If it is the latter, again, if you don't have anything to write don't write anything.

The essays are there just for explanatory purposes if you really have something to contribute.

I'm talking about the one about unique educational experiences (some people on this thread have said that they don't feel it's that "optional" even though it says it's not necessary to write anything there). I don't think being an engineering major is a unique enough thing to talk about here? I am writing the entirely optional essay though.

Anyone else getting this? Darn, wanted to submit tonight...
An error has occured. If this error continues to occur please contact us, and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Haha. I feel your pain. I did it over many days with my free time at work so it wasn't as crazy.

Last edited:
Anyone here also a MA resident?

If you got into all the MA schools, where would you go? I feel HMS vs. Umass is tough, but I would likely choose Umass over BU or Tufts because of the cost and rep for primary care. HMS is expensive as hell as well, but the prestige is quite enticing.

you're an idiot

you're an idiot

Why? Because I don't want to be heavy in debt when I graduate?

BU is definitely among my top, but I prioritize schools with a strong rep in primary and/or cheaper tuition.

I have known quite a few people who believe this way. And hell I even know someone who turned down Columbia, a med school as reputed as harvard, to go to a state school that was lesser known due to money or family reasons.

I don't think its idiotic to want to go to a cheaper school. My cousin turned down BU a few years back for the same reason but prob. wouldn't have if it had been harvard. He goes to UWisconsin though which is higher ranked then BU.

My other friend turned down BU the same year to go to a Fl. school that while reputed is not as highly ranked as BU.

So it isn't stupid. You go where you feel comfortable most. Go where you have the best support system, feel you'll be happiest, and if financial costs are an issue where you can afford to go.

BU is a great school but I can see why someone would turn it down if they could spend 9k a year vs. 40k+ a year.

I agree. Bragging rights are not worth 80 or $100k. One could make the case that to think otherwise is idiotic. I understand both perspectives but for someone like me who went to graduate school before applying to med. school, I'm not especially eager to accrue tens of thousands of dollars more than I have to in debt.

I agree. Bragging rights are not worth 80 or $100k. One could make the case that to think otherwise is idiotic. I understand both perspectives but for someone like me who went to graduate school before applying to med. school, I'm not especially eager to accrue tens of thousands of dollars more than I have to in debt.

I have known quite a few people who believe this way. And hell I even know someone who turned down Columbia, a med school as reputed as harvard, to go to a state school that was lesser known due to money or family reasons.

I don't think its idiotic to want to go to a cheaper school. My cousin turned down BU a few years back for the same reason but prob. wouldn't have if it had been harvard. He goes to UWisconsin though which is higher ranked then BU.

My other friend turned down BU the same year to go to a Fl. school that while reputed is not as highly ranked as BU.

So it isn't stupid. You go where you feel comfortable most. Go where you have the best support system, feel you'll be happiest, and if financial costs are an issue where you can afford to go.

BU is a great school but I can see why someone would turn it down if they could spend 9k a year vs. 40k+ a year.

Thanks for understanding my justification. That's exactly where I stand. Assuming I don't get into somewhere cheaper, I would LOVE to go to BU and it's hovering somewhere in my top 4 ish.

depends how much money one has. if ur parents r ballin then why not.

if your parents are ballin, I really hope you don't get into medical school. I can't imagine parents that rich having children who can understand their patients. I know, that's horrible... but I hate the idea of physicians being only a rich man's field. It should be a taking out loans and understanding what it means to be broke... before getting money... field. that way you can relate to everyone. haha.

It's a little ridiculous to say that someone who has rich parents is going to be a bad doctor. Growing up rich doesnt mean you're a snob who can't relate to people...

if your parents are ballin, I really hope you don't get into medical school. I can't imagine parents that rich having children who can understand their patients. I know, that's horrible... but I hate the idea of physicians being only a rich man's field. It should be a taking out loans and understanding what it means to be broke... before getting money... field. that way you can relate to everyone. haha.

You have to be broke and in huge debt to be a good doctor? That's terribly naive to think rich people cannot relate to patients. Patients come from all walks of life. If your parents can support your medical education financially then more power to you.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

And was that the "bad doctor" card in there too?

:laugh::laugh:

I know, but it's one thing to have parents who pay for your undergrad. It's another to have them pay for your medical school -- grow up already and take out some loans and educate yourself.

Why would I willingly put myself in debt when my parents are happy to and able to pay for medical school? If it would cause them any hardship whatsoever, I would take out loans, but otherwise I really don't see the point in taking out loans and paying interest on them when it's completely unnecessary.

You can be a good doctor... maybe just not one that can understand all your patients. Considering in the past, that was the majority of doctors, you'll be fine off... but I think medical school are trying to get physicians now a days that can actually understand their patients instead of a i-had-enough-money-so-i-went-and-got-my-MD-just-cause.

I think I just don't understand why parents would pay for your medical school. You are 22+ years old. Pay for your own dreams.

I think I'm in anti-rich mood. haha

I'm 20 and jeez it's not like you can go out and buy yourself an MD if you feel like it. Whether your parents are paying for your education or not, it still takes a lot of hard work and people who have enough money don't just decide on a whim to go to med school "just cause". I think I'm compassionate and understanding enough to relate to all types of people can't imagine that having my parents pay for my education will make me any less able to relate to patients.

Lolz that idealism is going to get you in trouble later on avoidthetiger, or at the very least shatter your tunneled view of medicine.

Well good for you for coming from an elite class of Americans. Don't take out loans or act adultish until you finish your residency. No wonder your choose that screen name.

edit: I will clarify that my parents give me some money every month to pay for housing as I can't get a job on top of my masters and are helping pay for all my medical school applications (though I have always taken out loans for my education). I ABSOLUTELY hate that my parents still need to support me and CAN NOT wait to get into medical school so I can take out loans that will cover my education/housing/everything. My parents should not have to pay for my education.

I'm sorry, you seem like a very nice person in general, but you need to get off your high horse here. Saying that not having to pay for medical school somehow affects your maturity level is completely ridiculous. Everyone's financial situation is unique and something that should not be held under scrutiny when determining the type of person they are. Being quick to pass judgments on someone based on stereotypes or whatever reflects poorly on your character rather than theirs.

i haven't seen many sample secondary essays but has anyone seen "non-paragraph" form responses? for example, are using bullet points to directly get your point across a good idea? or specifically writing, "conclusion:" or something similar.

the reason i ask is that as i begin to write secondaries, i realize it's hard to get the main point from large paragraphs. there's soo much text and the likelihood that someone skips over it is high. any suggestions on how to get your main points to stand out more? is paragraph form the standard?

I wrote in sentences/paragraphs like gujoDoc.

gujuDoc -- how's your MA in BUSM going? Do you like the school? I've never been there.

loool wow i caused quite the mini flamewar there, muh bad.
i dont mean to revisit the subject but i dont think u have to be poor to have the capacity to empathize with the poor. ANYWAY

i hear boston is nice!
anyone here paintball, go kart, play soccer or poker?

i hear boston is nice!
I just went paintballing for the second time in my life yesterday. I played like 3 games -- hid for one of them. Got shot twice and after that, I was like, I am done. It was weird being the only girl on the field.

Last edited:
loool wow i caused quite the mini flamewar there, muh bad.
i dont mean to revisit the subject but i dont think u have to be poor to have the capacity to empathize with the poor. ANYWAY

i hear boston is nice!

haha yes to all of those

LOL no flamewar here...s'all good! Come on BU and process my app now please. Thanks!

I just went paintballing for the second time in my life yesterday. I played like 3 games -- hide for one of them. Got shot twice and after that, I was like, I am done. It was weird being the only girl on the field.

haha awesome, u cant be scared tho or else u will suck lol
yea u dont see too many girls playing but their are some decent all girl teams in the pro scene. btw did the guys try hitting on u ? it tends to happen in such pplaces lol

haha yes to all of those

:thumbup: if we go to the same school at least i know there will be at least 1 person i'll get along with...until i take ur money in poker that is :p

yea u dont see too many girls playing but their are some decent all girl teams in the pro scene. btw did the guys try hitting on u ? it tends to happen in such pplaces lol

:thumbup: if we go to the same school at least i know there will be at least 1 person i'll get along with...until i take ur money in poker that is :p

I'm in for the poker and paintball and whatever else you mentioned as well...

i haven't seen many sample secondary essays but has anyone seen "non-paragraph" form responses? for example, are using bullet points to directly get your point across a good idea? or specifically writing, "conclusion:" or something similar.

the reason i ask is that as i begin to write secondaries, i realize it's hard to get the main point from large paragraphs. there's soo much text and the likelihood that someone skips over it is high. any suggestions on how to get your main points to stand out more? is paragraph form the standard?

207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I'm in for the poker and paintball and whatever else you mentioned as well...

:thumbup::thumbup: good to hear.

so what is everyone's top choice here?? boston or another school?

I think for me its nyu..so far anyway.

:thumbup::thumbup: good to hear.

so what is everyone's top choice here?? Boston or another school?

I think for me its nyu..so far anyway.

Don't some adcoms read these? I am not at all anonymous....

Edit: So anywhere that is nice enough to accept me!!!

omg I was horrible. My lab has a paintball group outting in August though... so I will have to do better then. or hide some more.
AND sadly no guys hit me on me. :( Probably didn't help that I came with 3 guys though -- all packing their own weapons. One of them was in full camo get-up -- which was total overkill. I looked like such a no0b.

Didn't notice the poker earlier -- I play poker atleast twice a month. Everyone hates me because I act like a total airhead and they never know if I am going to play a good hand or not... until I take all their money, muahaha.

BU is my mom's top choice for me! hahahaa. She went to some lecturer-thingee and the guy was a neuroscience graduate from Boston. She decided the school was perfect for me.

BUT BOSTON ADCOMS if you read this, I would very much appreciate an interview invite! I wouldn't just apply based on my mom's suggestion. I also did research into the school :) (and please don't think I dislike wealthy people. If I did, I would be looking for another career option :p )

Last edited:
Do you think it would be a good idea to talk in the optional essay about how because I'm ROTC I plan to eventually become a military doctor and that is where I really want to practice medicine, or does that stand a chance of turning them off?

Thanks!

I also like laser tag. that was fun when I went.

haha good call. everytime i go tho i always get killed by little kids, they r so good. one time there was this mom/daughter team and the little daughter would jump up and down infront of her mom so it was hard to shoot either of them while her mom took me out =(

omg I was horrible. My lab has a paintball group outting in August though... so I will have to do better then. or hide some more.
AND sadly no guys hit me on me. :( Probably didn't help that I came with 3 guys though -- all packing their own weapons. One of them was in full camo get-up -- which was total overkill. I looked like such a no0b.

Didn't notice the poker earlier -- I play poker atleast twice a month. Everyone hates me because I act like a total airhead and they never know if I am going to play a good hand or not... until I take all their money, muahaha.

BU is my mom's top choice for me! hahahaa. She went to some lecturer-thingee and the guy was a neuroscience graduate from Boston. She decided the school was perfect for me.

BUT BOSTON ADCOMS if you read this, I would very much appreciate an interview invite! I wouldn't just apply based on my mom's suggestion. I also did research into the school :) (and please don't think I dislike wealthy people. If I did, I would be looking for another career option :p )

LOLOL that last part made me giggle.
yea girls r hard to read sometimes, especially if u;ve never played with them before...

Do you think it would be a good idea to talk in the optional essay about how because I'm ROTC I plan to eventually become a military doctor and that is where I really want to practice medicine, or does that stand a chance of turning them off?
My understanding is talking about future speciality is a turn off (though I made that mistake last time I applied). I am not so sure about military medicine though. Honestly though, I don't know why you should include it. they will already see your ROTC experience on your application.

You can talk about your interest in military medicine and your experience with ROTC at the interview

yea girls r hard to read sometimes, especially if u've never played with them before...
I have been playing with these guys since January... and yet, my brain remains elusive.

My understanding is talking about future speciality is a turn off (though I made that mistake last time I applied). I am not so sure about military medicine though. Honestly though, I don't know why you should include it. they will already see your ROTC experience on your application.

You can talk about your interest in military medicine and your experience with ROTC at the interview

Yeah, I talk about ROTC on my primary application, but I don't explicity relate it to the fact the if I become a doctor, I WILL be a military doctor. I focused more on leadership, etc.

I figured going into military medicine is more "something I will definitely be doing because I've basically signed a contract", than it is "something I would maybe like to do in the future" like a specialty.

Status
Not open for further replies.