2011-2012 LSU - Shreveport Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The area around the school is "walk your dog at night alone" safe.

Maybe on the east side of the campus--the other side of I-49 which is maybe 1/2 mile from the hospital. On the west side of campus, that's not so much the case. If there's a ghetto in Shreveport, it's to the west of LSU. I wouldn't drive in that area at night alone. On the east side of I-49, it is a very nice area of Shreveport. It is an older area that has been kept up well. Centenary is about 10-15 minutes that way down Kings Hwy if that is of any use to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe on the east side of the campus--the other side of I-49 which is maybe 1/2 mile from the hospital. On the west side of campus, that's not so much the case. If there's a ghetto in Shreveport, it's to the west of LSU. I wouldn't drive in that area at night alone. On the east side of I-49, it is a very nice area of Shreveport. It is an older area that has been kept up well. Centenary is about 10-15 minutes that way down Kings Hwy if that is of any use to you.

Thanks for the additional info. I think he was referring to the hospital itself being alright because he said it had a bit of a buffer around it because of te interstate and stuff. Nice to have personal experience though. I've never spent any time in Shreveport besides passing through.

So I got an email saying they received my secondary beginning of Sept and have not heard from them since then. How long does it take to get complete email?

Members don't see this ad :)
they send out an email once a week letting you know what they've got. Just wait two more days, its usually wednesday or thursday, they send it and it'll tell you what they've got and if they're still waiting on anything.

I know today was the first day of interviews, and it's currently still going on. However, I was wondering if anyone who is interviewing today wouldn't mind posting how it went and maybe the impression the school left on you overall. Thanks and best of luck.

Hey! Interview was a blast! The faculty and students are amazing people and the school really caters to you as a person. You are basically more than a number. So don't stress cause its a great place to interview. Our group of people will find out our decisions next week as they send out the decision next friday (not this coming one) by postal mail.

Hey! Interview was a blast! The faculty and students are amazing people and the school really caters to you as a person. You are basically more than a number. So don't stress cause its a great place to interview. Our group of people will find out our decisions next week as they send out the decision next friday (not this coming one) by postal mail.

Hey did you have to travel to Shreveport? What did you do with your luggage? Im checking out of the hotel room the morning of the interview and flying out that evening.

Ah..i had to fly into shreveport but i stayed in the hotel after the interview and left the next morning...i'm not too sure about where u'd store ur luggage, but maybe ur hotel and you could then come back to it?

What were the interview questions like? I heard they ask healthcare questions here.

so the only healthcare question was related to how one would fix the system with infinite money....sdn interview feedback does a good job.

Some of the harder questions I had,

What is the biggest problem with the healthcare system and how would you fix it?

Given the current information, how would you handle mother who is against vaccinating their child with the hpv vaccine. How would you apply this to a larger scale of the population?

What would keep you from going to medical school?
(Apparently "nothing" and "acceptance" were bad answers.

Dr. Kennedy was really nice, but the other interviews were just.. Rough.

I didn't have any hard questions. good thing, 'cause I did not prepare answers for any of those...
and even though it's a closed interview or whatever, they will probably still ask you about your MCAT and gpa. That's been the case for all of mine.

I must have gotten lucky today because both of my interviewers were incredibly nice and laid back. The only somewhat tough question, I guess was, "If you could invite any 5 people from history, living or dead, to dinner, who would you choose?" It was just unexpected, so it took a little thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a phone call from Dr. Kennedy! I'm in! :)

Just got the call too! Accepted! very fast turn around since interview Tuesday

missed the call, twice. called back just before he left his office, I'm in! Really like this school actually, I could definitely pick here over LSU-NO.

Hi! When were you guys complete? I just want to gauge on when/if I will receive an interview or not. I submitted my secondaries in mid-September. I've been out of school for two years and am doing a Master's right now. My mcat score is a 28, with a gpa of 3.5. What do you think my chances are?

Congratulations to all who have been accepted!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited:
Got my first interview invite of the cycle yesterday! So excited! I can't wait to see LSUHSC-S for myself. I assume a tour of the facilities is included? I replied to the invite email with my ranked dates but haven't received confirmation yet. Think I should be concerned?

Got my first interview invite of the cycle yesterday! So excited! I can't wait to see LSUHSC-S for myself. I assume a tour of the facilities is included? I replied to the invite email with my ranked dates but haven't received confirmation yet. Think I should be concerned?

Yeah, the tour is the last thing on the agenda, you'll get started around 11:30 and end at 5. It took them like a week to get back to me with my interview date.

should we create a facebook group for the Class of 2016???

I also got the accepted phone call! I was a little bit surprised because I didn't feel like the interview went well. Nevertheless, good news is good news! :)

Interviewing there tomorrow. Kinda nervous. I've already been accepted somewhere else but I really want to get into LSU, and I know they only take a little less than half of the people they interview. Congratulations to everyone that got in!

I got accepted to two other schools the day I interviewed at LSUS. I think it makes the interviews less stressful. You'll be fine, they're pretty laid back, I didn't get any healthcare questions like people have been getting. The students are great. They'll all stop by and talk to you while you're waiting for your interviews. They might joke that they're there for the free cookies but they're great.

's something I wonder as well. A recent tulane grad that I emailed with is of the opinion that LSU grads can't get good residencies out of state. The dean at Shreveport was naming some pretty good ones that students last year got into. A radiation oncologist I shadowed this summer said it doesn't really matter where you go as long as you're in the top of your class and score well on Step 1.

so what do you think after hearing all of that? i basically don't want to limit my residency options to just louisiana but shreveport seemed like a great school.

so what do you think after hearing all of that? i basically don't want to limit my residency options to just louisiana but shreveport seemed like a great school.

I'm taking it with a grain of salt, tulane seems to consider themselves vastly superior to LSU, though Tulane wouldn't tell me their average step 1 scores or pass rate when i interviewed there, which seems pretty shady. Every other school I've interviewed at has been eager to show that they're above the national average in their step 1 pass rate. I don't want to limit my residency options either. Plus, what she really said was you won't get a "good" out-of-state residency. How do I know at this stage what's a "good residency"? Is it good by virtue of being at a "good" or well-known hospital? I'm under the impression that good hospitals might not be the best for certain residencies, but idk.
I wonder if the residency application threads have comments about what residency admissions committees look for, and if they say that the school's reputation plays a big part in their decisions?

Just got my acceptance letter. Never got a call, which might be because my cell has terrible reception in my house. Congrats to all the accepted, and good luck to all the current applicants.

Also, the supplemental app has no +/-'s in the pre-req entry form why?

Just got my acceptance letter. Never got a call, which might be because my cell has terrible reception in my house. Congrats to all the accepted, and good luck to all the current applicants.

Got my letter too. Does that sound to you like submit the deposit anytime before May 15th??

Got my letter too. Does that sound to you like submit the deposit anytime before May 15th??

Yea. The website says the $250 has to be in their hands by noon on May 15th; but you can just send it in now and get it back if you withdraw your spot before May 15th, I think. You have to mail them a letter telling them you accept the spot before November 5th though.

So the admissions committee met today to decide my fate. Hopefully I'll hear back within a few days. This part sucks. To those of you that didn't get a call, did you get your acceptance letter via email or snail mail?

got a phone call on a thursday evening and got acceptance letter the next week.

got a phone call on a thursday evening and got acceptance letter the next week.

If you don't get a phone call, don't start freaking out. I never got one, but I got an acceptance letter.

So the admissions committee met today to decide my fate. Hopefully I'll hear back within a few days. This part sucks. To those of you that didn't get a call, did you get your acceptance letter via email or snail mail?
I'm in the same boat :/

so for some reason when i create a group it won't let me create without inviting at least one person...can someone pm me their facebook name haha

Facebook Group Created!
Name is: LSUHSC Shreveport School of Medicine Class of 2016

Accepted! Got the letter today. My dad called me while I was watching LSU spank Bama and I had him open it and read it to me over the phone. It's been a good night so far. Go Tigers!

Anyone receive news? Committee met yesterday.

What is the process for getting invited for an interview from Shreveport? When day does it usually happen?

What is the process for getting invited for an interview from Shreveport? When day does it usually happen?

you get an email offering you 3 dates to rank in order of preference. they get back to you a little while later letting you know which one you get. They're always on a tuesday.

Thanks for the help. Do you know which day of the week the invite emails usually go out?

Status
Not open for further replies.