2011-2012 LSU - Shreveport Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be applying this upcoming cycle and have a question: does LSU (Shreve or N.O.) ever send out interview invites before the applicant's pre-med committee sends their letters of recommendation?

I go to LSU in BR and there's no telling when the committee will get around to writing my letter and sending my teachers' recs. They say they review applicants in the order in which people applied to the committee, but I don't think there's any way of knowing how far down in the pile you are. So, let's say I submit my AMCAS on June 1 and complete secondaries promptly (around July)....but the committee doesn't get around to me until August. Would this put me at a disadvantage getting an interview invite? Do admissions offices not look at you at all until you're "complete" (meaning, they've got all the stuff they need from the pre-med committee)?

Oh, and I'll be applying regular decision if that makes any difference.

I'd appreciate any feedback :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll be applying this upcoming cycle and have a question: does LSU (Shreve or N.O.) ever send out interview invites before the applicant's pre-med committee sends their letters of recommendation?

I go to LSU in BR and there's no telling when the committee will get around to writing my letter and sending my teachers' recs. They say they review applicants in the order in which people applied to the committee, but I don't think there's any way of knowing how far down in the pile you are. So, let's say I submit my AMCAS on June 1 and complete secondaries promptly (around July)....but the committee doesn't get around to me until August. Would this put me at a disadvantage getting an interview invite? Do admissions offices not look at you at all until you're "complete" (meaning, they've got all the stuff they need from the pre-med committee)?

I've got a 3.5/32 MCAT, so obviously I'm not one of those stellar applicants who will automatically be given an interview late in the process.
Oh, and I'll be applying regular decision if that makes any difference.

I'd appreciate any feedback :)

I don't think that they will start looking at your application until everything is complete, but I don't think that being complete in August will put you at much of a disadvantage. I would just make sure you submit your primary and secondaries early so that they are finalized when they get the packet. The LSUs don't even start doing regular applicant interviews until about mid-October. I would just focus on getting everything in as early as your can; but August isn't a killer, especially since your stats are pretty competitive for the LSUs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is shreveport done sending out interview invites and will they send out letters to everyone soon? -thanks

Is shreveport done sending out interview invites and will they send out letters to everyone soon? -thanks

I spoke with Dr. Kennedy in February and they said that he likes to finish up with interview invites by this time of the year but that it sometimes takes a little longer.

Anyone from the March 6th/20th interview dates hear anything back from adcom? Is the adcom meeting this Friday?

I spoke with Dr. Kennedy in February and they said that he likes to finish up with interview invites by this time of the year but that it sometimes takes a little longer.

Thanks for the info, guess i'll go back and check my email just to make sure i didnt skim over an invite from them ha. Really surprised i haven't heard anything and havent gotten a chance to at least interview. Everyone will eventually get a letter even if rejected right? when might those be sent?

Thanks for the info, guess i'll go back and check my email just to make sure i didnt skim over an invite from them ha. Really surprised i haven't heard anything and havent gotten a chance to at least interview. Everyone will eventually get a letter even if rejected right? when might those be sent?

I am in your situation where I'm waiting on an interview-or the rejection. I sent an email asking about my status but haven't received a response. I don't know if its because they still have one more round of invites or because they have sent the letters out but we just haven't got them yet. I live in Shreveport so I should be one of the first to get one when they do send them out.

Still have my fingers crossed though. Getting tired of the whole process though. This coming cycle will be my 3rd and every cycle is SOOO expensive. I don't want to think about how much I've spent trying to get into med school.

I definitely admire you for going through the process 3 times. This is only my first and I feel like I;m giving it my best shot and I'm prepared as ever for medical school. Good luck to you and keep hanging in there.

according to shreveport, they are done interviewing. letters come out this week

Shreveport's last interviews for this cycle were on 3-27-12. I think they already sent out all the letters as well. I just got my acceptable list letter. Does anyone know what percentage of the acceptable list ends up being accepted?

Does anyone know if the $250 deposit is due by April 15 or May 15??

Members don't see this ad :)
This is directly from the admissions website:

"Deadline => May 15
Deposits - We must have your $250 deposit in-hand by close of business by May 15, unless you have an AMCAS fee-waiver. No deposit?... On May 16 your place is forfeited."

This is directly from the admissions website:

"Deadline => May 15
Deposits - We must have your $250 deposit in-hand by close of business by May 15, unless you have an AMCAS fee-waiver. No deposit?... On May 16 your place is forfeited."

I love how blunt they are on their website.

I agree. A little informal, but very informative. I hear its actually pretty good compared to other school's admissions websites.

Also, I know that the double hold deadline for Shreveport is April 15. Does anyone know how that works if I had accepted Shreveport's offer but am also still waiting to hear from another school that probably won't let me know anything until after April 15? Do I need to withdraw my application from the other school before then?

nah, not until you accept the offer of the other school, which I'm guessing is NOLA?

So, has anyone heard anything good or bad? Just trying to prepare myself mentally for this rejection letter. haha. Happy Easter all!

So, has anyone heard anything good or bad? Just trying to prepare myself mentally for this rejection letter. haha. Happy Easter all!

Have you received a letter putting you on the "acceptable list"? I think they are starting to pull people from that list now and will continue until classes start. I'm pretty sure that most people will be pulled from the list after April 15th (the last day to double hold spots).

This thread is so super quiet...Have there been any acceptabces lately or have any people on the acceptable list heard anything?

anyone accepted hear about any financial aid info / scholarship money?

This thread is so super quiet...Have there been any acceptabces lately or have any people on the acceptable list heard anything?

I am on the acceptable list, and I have yet to hear anything. I am crossing my fingers that I hear something Monday!! Does anyone know how many people are on the "acceptable list"?

I am on the acceptable list, and I have yet to hear anything. I am crossing my fingers that I hear something Monday!! Does anyone know how many people are on the "acceptable list"?

Well me and you. So at least 2.

I'm on the acceptable list, and I know of at least 3 other people that as well.

Anybody know how Shreveport did in the match this year? I've been looking all over for a match list but haven't had any luck.

go to the news archive for lsu shreveport and click on match day. there is a video feed of the entire day. Most people matched at either LSU-Shreveport, LSU-NOLA, Ochsner, UT-Memphis, University of Arkansas and University of Missisippi Jackson; Few other names out there were UVA, Northwestern, Mayo, Pitt, VCU, Vanderbilt, UNC, Thomas Jefferson, and Children's Hospital DC

Am I right in thinking that there should be much more people pulled off the acceptable list now that the double hold deadline has past? Or am I misunderstanding how this process works?

That's probably right. I doubt they gave out more acceptances than spots, or if so they had estimated how many would give up their acceptances.

That's probably right. I doubt they gave out more acceptances than spots, or if so they had estimated how many would give up their acceptances.

You either already know this or this will make your day amazing!

Seeing as you're a Louisiana resident but didn't go to college in Louisiana, you can get TOPS to pay for a huge chunk of medical school for you.

http://www.osfa.la.gov/MainSitePDFs/TOPSGradschool.pdf

Am I right in thinking that there should be much more people pulled off the acceptable list now that the double hold deadline has past? Or am I misunderstanding how this process works?

I am under that impression. In the acceptable letter they say most but not all will receive an acceptance (paraphrasing the letter is not in front of me). I take that as there is still a good chance of getting in. Unless I am misinterpreting what they said.

I think you are not eligible if you went to OOS undergraduate for 8 semesters

That would make sense. For some reason, they don't explicitly address this question in their long FAQ, though. They address going out of state for a few semesters and coming back (in which case you get "8 - the number of semesters out of state") and they also address graduating early in state, in which case you get the number of semesters you graduated early applied towards graduate/professional schools.

Also, I feel like medical schools in the state would let all OOS college graduates who are LA residents know if they could get TOPS.

That would make sense. For some reason, they don't explicitly address this question in their long FAQ, though. They address going out of state for a few semesters and coming back (in which case you get "8 - the number of semesters out of state") and they also address graduating early in state, in which case you get the number of semesters you graduated early applied towards graduate/professional schools.

Also, I feel like medical schools in the state would let all OOS college graduates who are LA residents know if they could get TOPS.

yeah, they really aren't clear about it. it just says if you haven't used your 8 semesters of eligibility. since i was out of state, i didn't use any of them...
I'm calling tomorrow. They also say to fill out the fafsa, but then don't say how to list them as one of the like, organizations you submit it to.

You either already know this or this will make your day amazing!

Seeing as you're a Louisiana resident but didn't go to college in Louisiana, you can get TOPS to pay for a huge chunk of medical school for you.

http://www.osfa.la.gov/MainSitePDFs/TOPSGradschool.pdf

Yeah this is a bit misleading. If you went to an OOS school & it took you the full 4 years to graduate, no money. If you fast tracked it, you could be eligible for money.

If you have more than a 1 year gap between undergraduate and graduate school, you forfeit the funds.

I called today and told the guy on the phone my situation and he told me to send in this form. Fingers crossed, but not counting on it.

is anyone doing camp tiger? or have experience in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.