2011-2012 LSU - Shreveport Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
no idea

Members don't see this ad.

friend of mine got a call yesterday

:(

doesn't bode well.

I see someone else posted they didn't get a call & received acceptance via letter. I did miss a call from an Unknown number. :xf::xf:

:(

doesn't bode well.

I see someone else posted they didn't get a call & received acceptance via letter. I did miss a call from an Unknown number. :xf::xf:

did you apply to UTMB? 'cause I got a call from their admissions office and it came up as unknown. Shreve didn't show up unknown when they called me, and they left messages. They might not call everyone that gets accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did apply to UTMB but I withdrew my app.

I got placed on the acceptable list at Shreve.

Did anyone get an interview invitation yesterday or today?

This is anecdotal, but when people posted that they received an interview invite in SDN, it was typically around the 4th Monday of each month. That Monday is this Monday. :)

I'm hoping for the ultimate Christmas present.

Have any re-applicants gotten any interview invitations recently?

To those of you who interviewed at both Shreveport and New Orleans, do you mind giving a comparison of your interview experiences please?

Got an interview from NOLA this past week, still nothing from Shreveport. Not feeling to good about my chances at this point.

Got an interview from NOLA this past week, still nothing from Shreveport. Not feeling to good about my chances at this point.

Still have like, 3 or 4 months to interview/get accepted, yeah? Try to enjoy break and just focus on your upcoming NO interview. If you heard from NO it makes sense that you'll hear something from shreve. Is this your second app cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! My interview is scheduled for this coming Tuesday and I was wondering if anyone that has gone already has any tips or can tell me about what to expect. I've heard they're very friendly so i'm not too nervous, but would still like to get some perspective from someone that has gone already

Hi guys! This is just my 2nd post to SDN. I've been a looong time lurker (like several years!!). Anyway, I have an interview coming up on 1/31 and i'm excited/nervous about it! Anyone else have that date?

Hi guys! This is just my 2nd post to SDN. I've been a looong time lurker (like several years!!). Anyway, I have an interview coming up on 1/31 and i'm excited/nervous about it! Anyone else have that date?

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Is it too late to send an update? Do they even accept them here?

Congrats of interviews!

Last edited:
Waitlisted. :/ got an invite to NOLA today so I'll try my luck there as well

Committee is supposed to meet today to decide on my fate. Interviewed on 1/24.

:xf::xf::luck:

Interviewed 1/24, no call. I guess I got waitlisted.

Interviewed 1/31 and got the call from Dr. Kennedy yesterday evening that I've been ACCEPTED!! I am beyond elated!! This has been a verry long process for me. I studied and studied and applied and applied over the past 2 years. I am a re-applicant, so for those that feel discouraged keep trying and keep the faith!! :) Praise God!

Interviewed 1/24, no call. I guess I got waitlisted.

I got an Acceptable list letter in the mail. Any1 else that interviewed on 1/24 remember Dr. Kennedy saying that "everyone" that got placed on the acceptable list would get admitted at some point??

I got an Acceptable list letter also and I interviewed on 1/24! And YES, I remember him saying that! Still keeping my fingers crossed!

wow very friendly faculty members and students
Liked the school a lot ^_^

Hi guys, I'm new to this whole SDN thing, but I've been looking at this forum, and was wondering if anyone could definitely confirm yes or no, if you don't get a call you're most likely on the acceptable list, or do they not call everyone accepted?! Thanks!

Hi guys, I'm new to this whole SDN thing, but I've been looking at this forum, and was wondering if anyone could definitely confirm yes or no, if you don't get a call you're most likely on the acceptable list, or do they not call everyone accepted?! Thanks!

When I interviewed in October, I received a call from Dr. Kennedy letting me know I was in. However, there were quite a few people that I talked to who said they never received a call but received an acceptance letter by mail. I'm not sure how it's been since then, because that was the first round of regular applicant interviews. It may mean you've been put on the acceptable list, but you may have just not gotten a call for whatever reason. Not sure if I've helped at all, but there you go. Haha:)

woo just got a call, first acceptance O_O

Has anyone read anything/know anything about the potential merger between LSU-S and Louisiana Tech? I'm assuming this would include the medical school as well.

Do you think this is good news for the future of the medical school?

Has anyone read anything/know anything about the potential merger between LSU-S and Louisiana Tech? I'm assuming this would include the medical school as well.

Do you think this is good news for the future of the medical school?

LSU-S and LSUHSC-Shreveport are two totally different schools. The only common denominator is that they are both in the LSU system. The proposed merger between the two schools will have little, if any, effect on LSUHSC.

Last edited:
Anyone been accepted lately? Any news on when the next batch of acceptances will go out?

For those still waiting on interview invitations, I just got off the phone with Dr. Kennedy and he said that they typically try to finish issuing invites by the end of March. That's a month longer than I expected.

For those still waiting on interview invitations, I just got off the phone with Dr. Kennedy and he said that they typically try to finish issuing invites by the end of March. That's a month longer than I expected.

Thats great to hear. I'd love to attend shreveport, still waiting to get that interview though. I got my interview to new orleans already.

LSU-S and LSUHSC-Shreveport are two totally different schools. The only common denominator is that they are both in the LSU system. I don't think that the proposed merger between the two schools will have little, if any, effect on LSUHSC.

Yeah I found this out the hard way. I googled directions to LSU-S, then walked around in a suit like an idiot for a little while before I asked someone if I was in the right place... then they told me the med school was a separate campus and was about 15 minutes away.... so I walked into my interview 2 minutes late. Oops.

And by the way, I didn't get a call either. But I did get m acceptance letter THE NEXT DAY after the committee met. So I think they try not to keep you waiting too long. Again, congrats to everyone that's been accepted. Check out the facebook group!

Any news here? Anyone been accepted lately? I interviews in January and got the "acceptable list." Just wondering if anyone had any inside scoop on the admission timeline here.

Also, stats of people already accepted are always appreciated!

Any news here? Anyone been accepted lately? I interviews in January and got the "acceptable list." Just wondering if anyone had any inside scoop on the admission timeline here.

Also, stats of people already accepted are always appreciated!

Sitting in your same shoes wondering the exact same things!

accepted in october
stats(sgpa (3.0<x<3.5) mcat (29) top 10 undergrad

Sitting in your same shoes wondering the exact same things!

Same here! Interviewed in Feb, on the acceptable list. Does anyone know if Shreveport is even sending acceptances until the Apr. 15 drop date?
First post on sdn...

Same here! Interviewed in Feb, on the acceptable list. Does anyone know if Shreveport is even sending acceptances until the Apr. 15 drop date?
First post on sdn...

date after which you can only hold one place is may 15th. hopefully y'all won't have to wait that long.

date after which you can only hold one place is may 15th. hopefully y'all won't have to wait that long.

Plus,Shreveport has a double hold deadline on April 15th, so that should open some spots even earlier than May 15th.

Double hold deadline? As in, holding spots at LSUS and LSUNO, or just LSUS and any school? Oh Shreveport, why are you making my decision more difficult?

Double hold deadline? As in, holding spots at LSUS and LSUNO, or just LSUS and any school? Oh Shreveport, why are you making my decision more difficult?

From the LSU website:

Deadline => April 15
Decision Day - Applicants who continue to hold places at other schools after April 15 are notified that their place in Shreveport has been forfeited.
Applicants who are for certain they want Shreveport' are encouraged to read and download, complete and otherwise begin taking care of pre-matriculation requirements referred to on the Registrar's website.

http://www.lsuhscshreveport.edu/Admissions/TimelineandDeadlines.aspx

From the LSU website:

Deadline => April 15
Decision Day - Applicants who continue to hold places at other schools after April 15 are notified that their place in Shreveport has been forfeited.
Applicants who are for certain they want Shreveport' are encouraged to read and download, complete and otherwise begin taking care of pre-matriculation requirements referred to on the Registrar's website.

http://www.lsuhscshreveport.edu/Admissions/TimelineandDeadlines.aspx

fml. I cannot decide between Tulane and Shreve, and now the deadline is closer than I thought.

fml. I cannot decide between Tulane and Shreve, and now the deadline is closer than I thought.

My friend's sister is a nurse at a local LA hospital; she and I were discussing where I'm considering applying to med school next year, and she said that no one wants to work with Tulane doctors in hospital settings because they're "socially inept" so soon they're going to be required to take social aptitude tests upon getting into medical school and upon graduation.
Take that with a grain of salt; obviously not all Tulane docs are like that, and I doubt that test rumor is true, but that's not the first time I've heard similar sentiments. One ER doctor I was shadowing told me to stay away from Tulane because the Tulane med students and graduates he's worked with aren't as well prepared for the hospital setting (talking with patients, presenting cases, etc) as LSU-NO and LSU-Shreve students and grads are. And he wasn't an LSU grad, so I don't think alumni bias was a factor in sharing that opinion.

Anyway, congrats on your acceptances! I'll be applying to all three Louisiana schools (including Tulane because I'm interested in their great MD/MPH program).

Yeah, I've heard the same thing. I wonder why one is more prepared, I guess 'cause lsu has a better sim center? Neither of them use standardized patients, which seems a little strange.

LSU-S uses standardized patients, which I love. And with a hospital in the same building as the med school, it's no wonder they're more prepared for clinical work. I got the feeling that there was more hand-on training from the get-go at Shreveport.

Oh, yeah, it's LSUNO that doesn't have standardized patients.
I'm just going to wait until the very last day to see if I get money from tulane.

@missorleans- I know :( I wish they did too, especially since it's my top choice. Don't blame you for waiting on Tulane. New Orleans > Shreveport in my opinion. However, I don't think having $200,000 worth of debt is worth living in the cooler city. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.