2012-2013 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's still really early to actually act on this, but what does Gtown think of LOIs? If I get stuck with no interview but no rejection for a month or so I might send one if they actually take them into consideration.. anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

last year some people who were with the initial wave of completions got an interview in the second wave of interview offers... don't know what that means for this year esp since fabricius got an interview and he/she was complete on 7/19...

I might be in a different boat though because I had sent them an in the area email last week when I got my interview for GWU

I might be in a different boat though because I had sent them an in the area email last week when I got my interview for GWU

ah, maybe. works for me! anything to stay optimistic huh? lol...

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you actually state, "I'm in the area, would it be possible to interview around this time", or did you just let them know you'd be in DC? Paying for two DC flights from Seattle would be paaaaainful.

I said I was going to be in DC and available for an interview on this date and expressed my interest

I got an interview to GW last week and sent an 'in the area' email to georgetown- and received an interview invite today! I just stressed that I understood it was early in the process but that I was very interested in georgetown etc etc

So it says interview day ends at 4:00pm (latest). Anyone who is familiar with DC think it would be feasible to catch a 6:15 flight out of Reagan? This appears to be the latest flight out of Reagan to my destination.

So it says interview day ends at 4:00pm (latest). Anyone who is familiar with DC think it would be feasible to catch a 6:15 flight out of Reagan? This appears to be the latest flight out of Reagan to my destination.

I'm not from DC but I'm pretty familiar with it (lots of friends and family there; I visit quite often).

You will probably be fine unless there is some unusual traffic/metro problem (which does happen from time to time). If there are any later flights, they'd be preferable, but in all likelihood you won't have trouble making the flight at the time you listed. Reagan is the closest airport to that area (20-30 minutes by bus/metro).

I'm not from DC but I'm pretty familiar with it (lots of friends and family there; I visit quite often).

You will probably be fine unless there is some unusual traffic/metro problem (which does happen from time to time). If there are any later flights, they'd be preferable, but in all likelihood you won't have trouble making the flight at the time you listed. Reagan is the closest airport to that area (20-30 minutes by bus/metro).

Great thanks for the input. And yep I would prefer a flight closer to 8pm but I'll deal with what I've got! I wish I had known how quickly all the earlier interview dates would have filled up! I really wanted an august interview!

They also ask you right before the interviews start in the afternoon who has an early flight. Those people get the first interview slot.

Did anyone other than Fabricius who sent the 'in the area' email that was complete 7/19 get an invite?

On another note, looking at last year's forum, invites went out about 10 days later to people who were complete in the first wave but did not receive a first wave invite... I'm just looking for any good news for those of us without IIs.

Did anyone other than the member who sent the 'in the area' email that was complete 7/19 get an invite?

I think only one other person did. Sounds like those of us who were complete 7/19 may be in the next round.

Let's hope so... always good to keep a positive attitude, but the waiting game sure is tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people have already discussed how close Reagan is to GU, but would flying into Dulles be much more inconvenient? Google maps puts the travel time at 33 minutes currently, and it's right around the time I would be leaving the interview, assuming the interviews end on time. I'm arriving the day before (potentially) in the afternoon, so I'm not really concerned with travel time at that point.

Some people have already discussed how close Reagan is to GU, but would flying into Dulles be much more inconvenient? Google maps puts the travel time at 33 minutes currently, and it's right around the time I would be leaving the interview, assuming the interviews end on time. I'm arriving the day before (potentially) in the afternoon, so I'm not really concerned with travel time at that point.

Knowing DC traffic, that might not be the best idea...

Flying to/from Reagan, you will already be in the heart of the city more or less, with easy access to the metro. Dulles on the other hand, is far outside of the city and will require using bus/taxi/car. If you hit a traffic jam on the way out there (pretty much a daily occurrence) you could miss your flight unless it is later in the day (after ~6:30). I know it says 33 minutes on Google Maps, but you should plan for at least an hour based on the traffic in that part of the city.

Also, it might be more logistically complicated (and potentially more expensive) getting from Dulles to the GU area. Flying in/out of Reagan, you can hop right on the metro. For all these reasons, I would fly into Dulles only if you save a lot of money by doing so.

Anyone know of any parking that's not mentioned on the website? I'm willing to walk fifteen minutes if need be. I'm in Philly.

Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile

God speed my friend! ;) Parking is terrible in DC. While I don't have intimate knowledge of parking in the GU area, I will say that in general, there are very few good parking spots in DC. Most places you have to feed the meter frequently, and, even worse, most parking zones have an absolute two hour limit. To avoid getting ticketed or towed, you have to move your car to an entirely different zone every couple of hours (certainly not conducive to an interview day schedule!). Hopefully someone here can provide more helpful information, but I would recommend parking at a park and ride and taking metro/mass transit into the city or taking a bus or train and staying with a student host.

Last edited:

Flying to/from Reagan, you will already be in the heart of the city more or less, with easy access to the metro. Dulles on the other hand, is far outside of the city and will require using bus/taxi/car. If you hit a traffic jam on the way out there (pretty much a daily occurrence) you could miss your flight unless it is later in the day (after ~6:30). I know it says 33 minutes on Google Maps, but you should plan for at least an hour based on the traffic in that part of the city.

Also, it might be more logistically complicated (and potentially more expensive) getting from Dulles to the GU area. Flying in/out of Reagan, you can hop right on the metro. For all these reasons, I would fly into Dulles only if you save a lot of money by doing so.

Thanks for the input! I don't think the financial savings would make up for the logistical hassle, I'll just fly into Reagan.

God speed my friend! ;) Parking is terrible in DC. While I don't have intimate knowledge of parking in the GU area, I will say that in general, there are very few good parking spots in DC. Most places you have to feed the meter frequently, and, even worse, most parking zones have an absolute two hour limit. To avoid getting ticketed or towed, you have to move your car to an entirely different zone every couple of hours (certainly not conducive to an interview day schedule!). Hopefully someone here can provide more helpful information, but I would recommend parking at a park and ride and taking metro/mass transit into the city or taking a bus or train and staying with a student host.
Definitely park at a metro station. If you're planning on staying with a student host, you can park at the end of any metro line and make your way to Georgetown. Even if you're staying at a hotel somewhere outside the city, it's probably easiest to do the same- drive to the nearest metro that has parking available. It's only $5/day. Georgetown is a little isolated from the metro, but if you get to any station nearby you can take a circulator over to the campus. From the Rosslyn metro station it's a very short ride.

Definitely park at a metro station. If you're planning on staying with a student host, you can park at the end of any metro line and make your way to Georgetown. Even if you're staying at a hotel somewhere outside the city, it's probably easiest to do the same- drive to the nearest metro that has parking available. It's only $5/day. Georgetown is a little isolated from the metro, but if you get to any station nearby you can take a circulator over to the campus. From the Rosslyn metro station it's a very short ride.

If you take the metro, try and catch the GUTS bus if it's running (just google GUTS bus Georgetown and you can get a schedule). It's free and goes directly to campus. It runs from Rosslyn and from Dupont Circle. It's a better option than the circulator.

Yikes! I think I might just take Amtrak to Union Station and catch a cab from there. If I want to make the morning stuff, then I'll have to stay at a hotel overnight. Ughhh... Thank jeebus I'm making some bank this summer...

Do you think the admissions office has somewhere to put a backpack of stuff? I'm considering taking a red eye Amtrak train from NYC and will most likely have a backpack on me.

To answer some questions on this board:

1. You WILL NOT be able to make a 6 PM flight if your interview is at 3:30 or 4. DC is the worst. BUT, tell them that you have a 6 PM flight (if you can't get anything else) and they will interview you first. This will have no effect on your interview status.

2. Instead of staying in an overpriced DC hotel, call the admissions office and ask if you can stay with a student over night.

3. Most importantly, congratulations on your interviews BUT it is more than likely that 3 out of 4 of you will be waitlisted. Georgetown just has too many applicants and not enough spaces. If you are sincere about you interest in Georgetown after your interview and are placed on the waitlist. Write a letter to the dean describing why you think Georgetown is for you. They do this to weed out those who really want to go there and those who don't. If you are on the waitlist and DO NOT write a letter... You will not even be considered to come off the waitlist.

I'll try and see if I can keep up to date and answer more questions for you all as they come aboard.

Good luck and I hope to see some of you around next year during the breakfast!

4. There is ZERO parking and if you do happen to find a spot... it is all 2 or 4 hour parking around the hospital and you will not have time to walk out to feed the meter every so often.

Besides 0.25 is only 8 minutes of meter time. Who wants to sped 40 dollars for street parking.

Take the bus/walk.

Do you think the admissions office has somewhere to put a backpack of stuff? I'm considering taking a red eye Amtrak train from NYC and will most likely have a backpack on me.

Yes all bags will be locked in the foyer. Do not worry about that.

I would recommend either staying with a student or find a place to stay near Roslyn or Dupont metro stations. Then you can take the GUTS bus directly from there.

For the long essay question, I know it says "Essays should not exceed one single-spaced page at 12 point font (c. 5,000 characters)."
I'm not sure whether it's the style font I'm using, the prompt I rewrote at the top, or the fact that I broke it into 5 paragraphs (with my computer making it skip a line between paragraphs), but do you think it's okay if my essay fills up a little under one and a half pages? It's well under the character limit (like 4700ish), which I assumed was the more precise limit rather than the page one.

Sorry if this sounds a bit neurotic haha, just don't want to make it seem like I can't follow simple directions. Any insight would be appreciated! :)

For the long essay question, I know it says "Essays should not exceed one single-spaced page at 12 point font (c. 5,000 characters)."
I'm not sure whether it's the style font I'm using, the prompt I rewrote at the top, or the fact that I broke it into 5 paragraphs (with my computer making it skip a line between paragraphs), but do you think it's okay if my essay fills up a little under one and a half pages? It's well under the character limit (like 4700ish), which I assumed was the more precise limit rather than the page one.

Sorry if this sounds a bit neurotic haha, just don't want to make it seem like I can't follow simple directions. Any insight would be appreciated! :)

I interpreted the one-page limit as more strict, since "c. 5000 characters" means "about" 5000 characters. I would play it safe if I were you and keep it under 1 page.

Yeah, that makes sense. Cut a few sentences out and adjusted the margins/spacing to make it all fit on one page now. Thanks!

So I usually use the "how do you intend to contribute to the student body" or "why this school?" when there's a chance to write about something misc. But since those were the first two questions, what did you guys write about on the ". Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application?"

I'd like to write about my passion for global health and talk about the project I did in Brazil and my internship experiences at the WHO, but I'm actually not sure if Gtown has global health opportunities or are looking for that type of applicant.

So I usually use the "how do you intend to contribute to the student body" or "why this school?" when there's a chance to write about something misc. But since those were the first two questions, what did you guys write about on the ". Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application?"

I'd like to write about my passion for global health and talk about the project I did in Brazil and my internship experiences at the WHO, but I'm actually not sure if Gtown has global health opportunities or are looking for that type of applicant.

If thats your passion, then you should write about it. If the school likes it then you're set, if not then you probably wouldn't be a good fit there anyhow.

You know there ARE school websites for these kinds of questions...

The school definitely does have global health opportunities and many students do something international either between 1st and 2nd year or during 4th year as an elective. That sounds like a great thing to write about. Plus being in DC is great for international stuff whether you get many chances to travel or not.

I was complete 7/17 and haven't heard from them since. Is it too early to express my interest through a LOI?

I was complete 7/17 and haven't heard from them since. Is it too early to express my interest through a LOI?
I would say yes, it's still way too early. They just sent out the first batch of interviews. I would wait a few more weeks for sure.

The school definitely does have global health opportunities and many students do something international either between 1st and 2nd year or during 4th year as an elective. That sounds like a great thing to write about. Plus being in DC is great for international stuff whether you get many chances to travel or not.

Last edited:
I just got an Interview invite--i'll be there 9/21. I sent them an ''in the area'' e-mail yesterday or the day before because of my GWU interview...of course, the dates available were no where near my GWU interview lol oh well...still thankful for the invite!

congrats on the II's guys. Looks like im done here, complete 7/19 with everyone else.

Great job !

congrats on the II's guys. Looks like im done here, complete 7/19 with everyone else.

Great job !

dude the season hasn't even gone into full-mode yet....relax, you probably still have a shot

mm im not sure, I would prefer an outright rejection rather than a silent one though. I havent recieved any rejection email.
Haha same. I was also complete on 7/19, but I had my PI from the summer research submit a letter just this past monday and I contact them to confirm that they would accept it... I'm hoping that my app just got pushed back to a later review date, I don't think I'm ready to bow out of this process yet haha.

Great job !

Don't lose faith! If you do, then I'm going to as well :( Lets give it a week or two!

Just got the interview invite as well, complete on 7/19. Will be there on 9/21... hopefully many of you will be there as well

Don't lose faith! If you do, then I'm going to as well :( Lets give it a week or two!

haha goobs i feel like we are in every thread together, but I agree no point in losing faith. !

Just got the interview invite as well, complete on 7/19. Will be there on 9/21... hopefully many of you will be there as well

just got an II too! and scheduled for the 21st as well! see you there! :)

Interviewing on 9/19. Now I have to figure out the most cost effective way to get there lol

Status
Not open for further replies.