2013-2014 Albert Einstein Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Word on the street is that award letters were mailed out on Friday. Anyone receive theirs yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was also accepted off the HPWL yesterday, following an email I received the previous day listing my other acceptances and asking if any of them were my top choice or was I still very interested in Einstein.

Did you write letters of interest or send updates since your interview and/or HPWL notification? I'm unsure whether or not they would help.

I interviewed March 24th and still nothing. anyone in the same boat??? I know up thread someone interviewed the 24th and was placed on HPWL. Getting anxious here. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed March 24th and still nothing. anyone in the same boat??? I know up thread someone interviewed the 24th and was placed on HPWL. Getting anxious here. :(

Same boat...

Reactions: 1 user
28th for me, but also waiting. D:

I was also accepted off the HPWL yesterday, following an email I received the previous day listing my other acceptances and asking if any of them were my top choice or was I still very interested in Einstein.
Congratulations on the acceptance!! May I ask when you interviewed?

I was also accepted 2 days ago off HPWL! Just a question: on the website, it says that Certiphi should be emailing me on the day the acceptance email was sent, but I haven't received one yet - does anyone know who I should contact to ask about this?
How long did it take them to get back to you after you replied to their HPWL e-mail? And on which date did you receive the HPWL, and on which date were you interviewed?

Last edited:
I was also accepted 2 days ago off HPWL! Just a question: on the website, it says that Certiphi should be emailing me on the day the acceptance email was sent, but I haven't received one yet - does anyone know who I should contact to ask about this?

Were you already accepted elsewhere? I thought each applicant only gets the cetphri email once. If not, then what did the dean's email say?

Members don't see this ad :)
Word on the street is that award letters were mailed out on Friday. Anyone receive theirs yet?
I just opened mine this morning. None too thrilled about it. For those that have already received their awards, does "Einstein - Direct Unsubsidized" = "Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans"? Their wording confuses me.

Unless they award need-based scholarships later, this looks like it might be it.

I just opened mine this morning. None too thrilled about it. For those that have already received their awards, does "Einstein - Direct Unsubsidized" = "Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans"? Their wording confuses me.

Unless they award need-based scholarships later, this looks like it might be it.
From what I understand, yes Einstein - Direct Unsubsidized=Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans. And I'm pretty sure that the need based scholarships would be listed on the award letter if you received any (I didn't so can't be sure...). I definitely can't say I was thrilled either, so I feel your pain....

Just got mine... also not very happy :(. So the money we need to borrow on top of what was offered comes from stafford or perkins or something? I'm confused :(

Just got mine... also not very happy :(. So the money we need to borrow on top of what was offered comes from stafford or perkins or something? I'm confused :(
I was told by the financial aid office that unfortunately they do not offer the Perkins loan :( but give them a call if you have any questions/concerns, they're very helpful over there.

I was told by the financial aid office that unfortunately they do not offer the Perkins loan :( but give them a call if you have any questions/concerns, they're very helpful over there.

Oh great, thanks! I guess I'm just wondering what we do if we're offered way less loan money than they say the expected budget is. Edit: nevermind... read through the stuff more hah...

Last edited:
Oh great, thanks! I guess I'm just wondering what we do if we're offered way less loan money than they say the expected budget is
From my understanding, what they're offering is the max amount of the Federal Stafford Unsubsidized Loan, which currently has an interest rate of about 5%. You can make up the difference between this amount and your COA by getting a GradPLUS loan, which has worse terms (i.e, higher interest rates and fees). The GradPLUS loan isn't listed on your aid award letter, but it's available to you.

From my understanding, what they're offering is the max amount of the Federal Stafford Unsubsidized Loan, which currently has an interest rate of about 5%. You can make up the difference between this amount and your COA by getting a GradPLUS loan, which has worse terms (i.e, higher interest rates and fees). The GradPLUS loan isn't listed on your aid award letter, but it's available to you.

Thanks! That's what I just figured out.

Did anyone get service and research scholarship info in their packet?

They sent me an email asking if I was still interested in Einstein on April 7. I answered yes on the same day, then was accepted the next day. Received HPWL on January 31, interviewed early December.

Yes, I have been accepted at another school and released the background check for that school. Does that mean I don't have to worry about doing it again for Einstein? The website just says that I should be receiving an email from Certiphi and that if I don't respond to the request by the deadline date, they will be forced to rescind my acceptance o_O So if I filled out the information for a different school, am I all set??

Thanks for the info. About the Certiphi e-mail, I got one for each school that accepted me. I think you should be receiving an e-mail

Thanks for the info. About the Certiphi e-mail, I got one for each school that accepted me. I think you should be receiving an e-mail
I've been accepted to multiple schools but only have received 1 certiphi email

Looks like loans, loans, and more loans for me. Wasn't really expecting anything more.

Seem like no one so far has heard about the scholarship...maybe it gets sent separately? :D:D:cool::D

I thought I heard someone already got the scholarship?
So I just got my fin aid letter. I got a scholarship of X amount a year. Is this the service and reserach scholarship I applied for? It just says "General Scholarship"? Anyone know?

Last edited:
So I just got my fin aid letter. I got a scholarship of X amount a year. Is this the service and reserach scholarship I applied for? It just says "General Scholarship"? Anyone know?
nvm doesn't seem so - it says we won't hear back about that one til may 1st

Current Students: 1) Which building is the best place to live on campus?
2) Are the studio apartments equipped with a kitchen? (is it in a separate room?) A layout plan would be nice
3) Does everyone have the choice of either having their own bedroom or sharing a bedroom?

To those of you who have received your scholarship letter, how much do they dish out?

Current Students: 1) Which building is the best place to live on campus?
2) Are the studio apartments equipped with a kitchen? (is it in a separate room?) A layout plan would be nice
3) Does everyone have the choice of either having their own bedroom or sharing a bedroom?

It doesn't rlly matter when it comes down to it - 1925/1935/1945 are all very similar. Depending who you ask, you'll get varied opinions. I personally think 1925/1935 is better, as they are connected via a central lobby. But others like 1945. End of the day, not a big difference.

Yes the studios have a kitchen, and yes it is a separate room. As for a layout - the housing packet will have the architectural layouts of all the apartment options. As a reminder, the only people who start off in studios are married couples or MD/Phd students. Otherwise, all other entering students can join the waitlist and get a studio by mid-2nd or 3rd year (depends on apartment movement)

No one ever shares a bedroom. Every single person has their own bedroom. As a single person, you would either be placed in a 2 bedroom (and have one other person in apartment) or in a 3 bedroom (and have 2 other people in apartment). But everyone always has their own room.

I have a question for any current students. Do you have a car/do you think it would be necessary or helpful to have one? I read that Einstein provides transportation to clinical sites, but would it be easier to drive yourself? Is driving/parking hard in the Bronx? The only time I've been is for my interview so I'm not too familiar.

Check out last years thread, as well as earlier in this years - this topic was discussed a lot.

Having a car is not critical. Many people do not have one. Einstein provides transport to any clinical site you would ever have to go to, and almost everyone used the provided transport. Some people do drive, but not many. The provided transport is way more convenient plus you can relax/study while being driven around.

Having a car is nice though - allows more flexibility when shopping and going out around in the Bronx. That being said, not critical - many people don't have cars and it's no biggie.

Regarding parking - Einstein has a underground lot under the housing buildings (90$ a month). Super convenient. Otherwise, some people park on the street outside Einstein - from what I hear, generally not hard to find parking.

Thank you so much for the information! It was super helpful! I'm so excited for the fall!

I saw last years thread as well but I wanted the most current information :)

To those of you who have received your scholarship letter, how much do they dish out?
I was told by the financial aid people that the max need based scholarship they give out is $3600, but I might be wrong. And from the looks of it, they're not exactly "dishing" it out to that many people.

Need based scholarships for medical school (graduate schools in general) is like spotting an unicorn.

Merit-based scholarships are slightly more common. I believe Einstein offers anywhere from $5k to $20k per year in merit scholarships.

Does anyone know if the merit scholarships are renewable? Or are they dependent on yearly performance?

Few silly questions:

1) what score is passing?
2) do the apartments have ac?
3) Do any of you find you're able to take an entire day off each week?

Does anyone who interviewed in late March know when we should receive a decision (if anyone at Einstein did provide this information)? I didn't hear anything on my interview day and didn't think to ask.

Need based scholarships for medical school (graduate schools in general) is like spotting an unicorn.

Merit-based scholarships are slightly more common. I believe Einstein offers anywhere from $5k to $20k per year in merit scholarships.

I called Fin Aid. The "general Einstein scholarship" is need based $$. This does not include Research/Service Scholarship stuff, which will be sent out May 1 or so. They also said "your package may be adjusted if you get a service scholarship." :/

I called Fin Aid. The "general Einstein scholarship" is need based $$. This does not include Research/Service Scholarship stuff, which will be sent out May 1 or so. They also said "your package may be adjusted if you get a service scholarship." :/
oh interesting! thanks!

Does anyone who interviewed in late March know when we should receive a decision (if anyone at Einstein did provide this information)? I didn't hear anything on my interview day and didn't think to ask.
When in March did you interview? I interviewed late March, on the 24th.

When in March did you interview? I interviewed late March, on the 24th.
I interviewed on March 31st (and am holding out a tiny shred of hope that it's still possible to be accepted outright at this stage..although an HPWL position would also be much appreciated).

Last edited:
I interviewed on March 31st (and am holding out a tiny shred of hope that it's still possible to be accepted outright at this stage..although an HPWL position would also be much appreciated).
Ditto! Interviewed March 24... still nothing.

Few silly questions:

1) what score is passing?
2) do the apartments have ac?
3) Do any of you find you're able to take an entire day off each week?

1) passing score is 65 or 1.5 standard deviations below the mean, whichever it lower. But anyways, it's almost always 65 as a passing grade. (Which is super awesome btw. The strict P/F system rlly is amazing for so many reasons)

2) yes every apartment (and every room in apartment) has a dual AC/Heat unit built in.

3) that depends on the person. It rlly varies based on study schedule and personal life. In first year I think it's possible (working around lab schedule) In 2nd year it gets a bit tougher. But if you plan your schedule right, there is always time for yourself!

1) passing score is 65 or 1.5 standard deviations below the mean, whichever it lower. But anyways, it's almost always 65 as a passing grade. (Which is super awesome btw. The strict P/F system rlly is amazing for so many reasons)

2) yes every apartment (and every room in apartment) has a dual AC/Heat unit built in.

3) that depends on the person. It rlly varies based on study schedule and personal life. In first year I think it's possible (working around lab schedule) In 2nd year it gets a bit tougher. But if you plan your schedule right, there is always time for yourself!

Thanks so much for the response!