2013-2014 Albert Einstein Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was told on my interview day that the dual MD/MPH program at Einstein was no longer being offered to incoming students. Do any current students like @bloodyhell or incoming students know if there will be some kind of replacement such as reinstating the old joint program with Columbia's MPH program?

Members don't see this ad.

I was told on my interview day that the dual MD/MPH program at Einstein was no longer being offered to incoming students. Do any current students like @bloodyhell or incoming students know if there will be some kind of replacement such as reinstating the old joint program with Columbia's MPH program?

Couple of my classmates took the year after third year to do a MPH, most are doing it in the city at places like Sinai and not through Einstein. They secured fundings to cover most/some of the tuition I believe but im not sure of the exact details as I never bothered to ask..

Does anyone know when we'll start getting housing information?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know why the average indebtedness at Einstein is only 150K? Seems super low for a private school in NYC. Especially since people up above are saying financial aid is really modest.

Thanks, bloodyhell!

Also, is the only gym option at Einstein one you have to pay for? Or do they also have a gym that's free of cost for students?

Edit: just read more carefully that the gym free is included in the tuition.

Thanks, bloodyhell!

Also, is the only gym option at Einstein one you have to pay for? Or do they also have a gym that's free of cost for students?
The Einstein gym is free for all students! (It's not the best gym, but hey it works for most)

{there is a tiny minority that prefer to go off Campus and sign up for a private gym, which one can always do if so desired}

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know why the average indebtedness at Einstein is only 150K? Seems super low for a private school in NYC. Especially since people up above are saying financial aid is really modest.

I think the inexpensive housing would make a difference, but I could be wrong

Ditto! Interviewed March 24... still nothing.

Have you or anyone else heard back who has been waiting since the 24th?
I interviewed the same day and haven't heard. I'm debating about calling them.
Also, has the best case scenario been HPWL as opposed to direct acceptance?

Have you or anyone else heard back who has been waiting since the 24th?
I interviewed the same day and haven't heard. I'm debating about calling them.
Also, has the best case scenario been HPWL as opposed to direct acceptance?
Nope. I have not hear anything back. Hopefully it's not just us and einstein is being a little slow with the review. I think some people are already being accepted off of the HPWL that were placed on it earlier.... I'm starting to think that there are no more direct acceptances at this point... pretty late.

Nope. I have not hear anything back. Hopefully it's not just us and einstein is being a little slow with the review. I think some people are already being accepted off of the HPWL that were placed on it earlier.... I'm starting to think that there are no more direct acceptances at this point... pretty late.
This is all just useless, useless speculation but if they're already accepting people off of HPWL, it seems like a direct acceptance could be justified for the later interviewees. In other words, if they have offers left to give out to HPWL candidates, what should stop them from giving some to desirable interviewees?

This is all just useless, useless speculation but if they're already accepting people off of HPWL, it seems like a direct acceptance could be justified for the later interviewees. In other words, if they have offers left to give out to HPWL candidates, what should stop them from giving some to desirable interviewees?
Chill out bro. What i posted above is just my opinion. Take it or leave it no need to call it useless or get worked up.

Chill out bro. What i posted above is just my opinion. Take it or leave it no need to call it useless or get worked up.
Oh I was referring to my own point that I just presented as useless...sorry for the confusion

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree that speculation doesn't do much to help us but it's hard not to not think about lol.

Putting people on the HPWL at this point instead of offering outright acceptances does 2 things - 1. Lets them see where else you are holding acceptances and 2. Lets them gauge how interested you are in AECOM at this point.

Since they've already filled the class once, they now want to accept students who will come this fall. If they put a great applicant on the HPWL and they see that person is holding offers at schools that historically they've lost out to, then they might not bother pulling them from the WL unless the applicant writes a strong LOI.

Along the same lines, since the HPWL email asks you about your interest in attending AECOM, it may weed out students who may have wanted to just see if they would get in and would have stayed on until they had to do extra work to still be considered. Both help achieve the final goal of finding capable students (which there are plenty to pick from) who really want to attend AECOM or at least have a sincere interest in the school at this point in the application cycle.

If someone is offended or feels insulted that AECOM pulled them from the WL and decides not to go because of that, then there's a decent chance that they wouldn't have picked AECOM anyways. It sounds somewhat absurd, but I've heard of some stories like that.

Of course, I could be totally off too lol

I agree that speculation doesn't do much to help us but it's hard not to not think about lol.

Putting people on the HPWL at this point instead of offering outright acceptances does 2 things - 1. Lets them see where else you are holding acceptances and 2. Lets them gauge how interested you are in AECOM at this point.

Since they've already filled the class once, they now want to accept students who will come this fall. If they put a great applicant on the HPWL and they see that person is holding offers at schools that historically they've lost out to, then they might not bother pulling them from the WL unless the applicant writes a strong LOI.

Along the same lines, since the HPWL email asks you about your interest in attending AECOM, it may weed out students who may have wanted to just see if they would get in and would have stayed on until they had to do extra work to still be considered. Both help achieve the final goal of finding capable students (which there are plenty to pick from) who really want to attend AECOM or at least have a sincere interest in the school at this point in the application cycle.

If someone is offended or feels insulted that AECOM pulled them from the WL and decides not to go because of that, then there's a decent chance that they wouldn't have picked AECOM anyways. It sounds somewhat absurd, but I've heard of some stories like that.

Of course, I could be totally off too lol
Yes, this is the well-thought out answer I was looking for, I was just too lazy to really think about it myself, so thank you. I understand the advantage of putting people on the WL first to gauge their interest and willingness to pull out the stops to eventually gain an acceptance. My gut feeling is also that no other direct acceptances will come from later interviewees, I guess my thoughts were just to comfort me and mainly were wishful thinking. Thanks for the insight!

Is it confirmed that we won't hear back about the Service and Research Scholarship until after May 1?

Does anyone know how much money the Service and Research Scholarship is for? I'm not sure if I should do the application (the essays are very long) because there is a decent chance I won't end up going to Einstein unless they give me a significant amount of money.
I believe it's anywhere from $5K-25K per year.

I believe it's anywhere from $5K-25K per year.
Yep. It can definitely vary person to person.

If you think about the time invested versus possible $$$ return, it's quite worth it. I'd say spend the time doing the essays, and just cut out a few hours of tv/Xbox ;)

At this point is interviewing towards the end of April even worth it?

At this point is interviewing towards the end of April even worth it?
If you're around, may as well. But if you're flying in from super far away..it's a tough call. Then again, if they interview you, you have a shot (regardless of how small). If you don't interview, chances go to zero.

(And yea they are interviewing late this year due to the winter storms and so many cancelled dates, and also due to the early Passover break etc)

I'm sorry if this has been addressed already but I'm really confused about the student aid award letter.

What does "Einstein- direct unsubsidized" mean? Is this different from a stafford loan?

Thanks everyone!

I'm sorry if this has been addressed already but I'm really confused about the student aid award letter.

What does "Einstein- direct unsubsidized" mean? Is this different from a stafford loan?

Thanks everyone!
Nope, it's the same thing.

Just curious, has anyone interviewed March 7 or earlier and still not heard anything back?

So even though it says more info about "Einstein loans" will be sent , we need to follow the directions it lists for stafford loans ?
I think they're saying if you were offered an Einstein loan on the award letter, they'll send you more info about how to accept it in the future.

But it said "Einstein - direct unsubsidized" so is that not considered an Einstein loan?

I think they're saying if you were offered an Einstein loan on the award letter, they'll send you more info about how to accept it in the future.

But it said "Einstein - direct unsubsidized" so is that not considered an Einstein loan?
I think they are referring to the interest-free loans when the say Einstein loan. The direct unsubsidized is just regular Stafford. But call in to double check if you really want to confirm - this is just my understanding of it (I spoke with them a few weeks ago).

I think they are referring to the interest-free loans when the say Einstein loan. The direct unsubsidized is just regular Stafford. But call in to double check if you really want to confirm - this is just my understanding of it (I spoke with them a few weeks ago).
Ok thanks so much! Ive been out of the country so haven't had a chance to call yet but maybe I'll try and contact them soon.

Just got the waitlist email today, interviewed 3/28. I guess regular waitlist, not high priority? :(

I heard back about the Research and Service scholarship today, in case anyone is wondering. Although it's my overall impression that these will trickle in slowly for those of us who applied

I heard back about the Research and Service scholarship today, in case anyone is wondering. Although it's my overall impression that these will trickle in slowly for those of us who applied

Congrats! Was this via postal mail?

Received a Research & Service Scholarship as well today. Quite substantial and now has made my final decision extremely difficult.

But, so excited and grateful to Einstein.

Reactions: 1 user
Aw man, I hope they're not done sending out notifications :(

why do you think they'll trickle in?

+1

The e-mail said a snail letter was also postmarked today. And I was almost set to go somewhere else. Very grateful to Einstein and now some tough decisions to ponder.

When applicants accept/decline their position in the class, I imagine the admissions office re-evaluates what funds they have and where they should go.
So the idea is that the funds have been distributed and now will only reshuffle when someone with a scholarship decides to go somewhere else? Of course I understand this is all speculation

So the idea is that the funds have been distributed and now will only reshuffle when someone with a scholarship decides to go somewhere else? Of course I understand this is all speculation

Not necessarily, it could be that some of the scholarships have been awarded and they're waiting to award others because...who knows. Like any decision handed down by a committee, these things take time. If there's anything I've learned 10+ months into this application process, it ain't over until it's over :)

Reactions: 1 users
I have a question about the Research and Service Scholarship application: should we only choose to discuss research or service, or can we discuss both? the language of the application seems to suggest we should just pick one. Thanks in advance!

HP waitlist. interviewed 3/31. I am hoping the chances of getting off this waitlist is high.