2013-2014 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Just logged in to check my status and see this

Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee.
We will let you know something as soon as we are able.

Baylor College of Medicine interviews from September through February.
You are eligible for interview consideration through February.

I've read a lot of stuff on this forum, still can't come to a conclusion. None of the links people have posted work anymore, and I'm not sure if this means I will receive an II or not. Can anyone break it down for me?

I've read a lot of stuff on this forum, still can't come to a conclusion. None of the links people have posted work anymore, and I'm not sure if this means I will receive an II or not. Can anyone break it down for me?

My guess is that Baylor has changed the interview confirmation link so that it is no longer publicly accessible. The general "rule" has been that you're most likely going to get an interview (official email being sent ~1 month before your assigned date) if your status goes from:

"is being reviewed" --> "has been reviewed" --> "is being reviewed"

The interval between the last two steps seems to vary, with some taking a few days/weeks and other taking a few hours, so I wouldn't worry too much about being "stuck" in the "has been reviewed" stage :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

I have had the same status. Being the natural pessimist that I am, it's probably a rejection-in-waiting. If I do get an II I will be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not banking on it. Sucks because this is one of the few schools I was legitimately excited to interview at.

In the words of Yogi Berra, "It ain't over 'til it's over."

Keep your head up and stay positive!

Official invitation email! The interview confirmation login page now has this ominous message:

"You should only be on this site if you have received an official invite email from the Office of Admissions. Any others are subject to rejection."

Official invitation email! The interview confirmation login page now has this ominous message:
Congrats!
And I guess they've had enough of people checking out the interview confirmation site regardless of their II status :laugh:

Just got the official II as well. Can't express how excited I am. OOS btw.

OOS, saw the link last week and got the official this afternoon. Schedule already full and need to schedule a new date :/

Anyone know what the format for the interview day is exactly? I mean, is it just one longer interview or two shorter ones, with a faculty member or med student, etc.?

Anyone know what the format for the interview day is exactly? I mean, is it just one longer interview or two shorter ones, with a faculty member or med student, etc.?

I can answer that!

Its two interviews, one with a student and one with a faculty. They are weighted equally.

The interviews are spaced out during the day, and whenever you aren't interviewing you can go on tours and converse with current students and admissions staff.

Excited to see everyone on Friday!

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/invitation/index.cfm

The interview is indeed 1 student and 1 professor (each counts equally)...a long, but low stress day...a bit of a cattle call (hey, it's Texas!). As with ANY interview, maintain eye contact and be yourself.

Trust me, BCM is not only the best net value among private medical schools, but also might well better your in-state public medical school(s)...it did for our family!

BCM students averaged 244 on the 2012 Step 1-- #1 in America-- value and results.

About 25%, or 45 in a class, will be OOS, AND you can establish residence after year 1 and reduce tuition costs (odd for a private school perhaps).

See also my long B/S post early in this thread about our experience (I am actually a current MS2 student's dad)...BCM would be very tough to beat! We could not have been more pleased all around! :luck: :)

I just interviewed on August 30th and both my interviewers were faculty members. They said that we could either have 2 faculty members or one of each (student and faculty). That said, both were very conversational.

same here. does that mean we're getting an ii for sure? or theres a chance? how true has this theory been for those that already have ii's

same here. does that mean we're getting an ii for sure? or theres a chance? how true has this theory been for those that already have ii's

It worked for me. Just don't be spastic and try to confirm something before they send you an invite.

I think it has been fairly consistent when going from "is being" to "has been" back to "is being". That being said, I am not assuming anything just being fairly optimistic.

To those who have already interviewed: are you emailing or snail mailing your thank you notes? Also, how are you going about contacting your student interviewer? I did not ask for a business card or anything and am having trouble figuring out how to get their email address; should I just snail mail it and address it to the office of admissions, along with my interviewer's name? What did you all end up doing? Thanks!

I know I'm very late in the game considering so many people have already interviewed, but my AMCAS was verified 9/3 and I haven't received a secondary app yet? Does that mean I was rejected or should I just wait? I also found this link http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/supplemental which has the secondary, but I feel like I shouldn't fill it out since Baylor hasn't contacted me yet. Thoughts?

I know I'm very late in the game considering so many people have already interviewed, but my AMCAS was verified 9/3 and I haven't received a secondary app yet? Does that mean I was rejected or should I just wait? I also found this link http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/supplemental which has the secondary, but I feel like I shouldn't fill it out since Baylor hasn't contacted me yet. Thoughts?
Actually, you can fill out Baylor secondary without an invitation from the school. I did receive a letter regarding the secondary from Baylor several days after my AMCAS was verified, and it was not exactly an invitation but something along the lines of "oh, by the way, if you haven't filled out our secondary yet, follow this link" :)
In other words, feel free fill out Baylor secondary without an invitation from the school.

How many interviews and how long are they? Usually MDs or MS4s?

How many interviews and how long are they? Usually MDs or MS4s?

There are 2 interviews, 25-30 minutes each. It will either be with 2 MDs or 1 MD and 1 MS4. Very relaxed and conversational, be yourself and know your application (the general advice). I had an amazing time at Baylor and really enjoyed the interviews.

There are 2 interviews, 25-30 minutes each. It will either be with 2 MDs or 1 MD and 1 MS4. Very relaxed and conversational, be yourself and know your application (the general advice). I had an amazing time at Baylor and really enjoyed the interviews.

correction: either 2 MDs or 1 MD and one student (doesn't have to be an MS4. other years interview students as well. i think down to MS2s)

correction: either 2 MDs or 1 MD and one student (doesn't have to be an MS4. other years interview students as well. i think down to MS2s)

My mistake. Listen to this guy ^^^^

To those who have already interviewed: are you emailing or snail mailing your thank you notes? Also, how are you going about contacting your student interviewer? I did not ask for a business card or anything and am having trouble figuring out how to get their email address; should I just snail mail it and address it to the office of admissions, along with my interviewer's name? What did you all end up doing? Thanks!

As one who took part in interviewing many professional level candidates over many years in the work world, I urge all candidates to e-mail your appreciation to your interviewers promptly. The Admissions Office should surely be cooperative in providing the e-mail addresses if you have already interviewed. You would not have been invited on a lark...the interview is simply to assure that you are something other than a math/science nerd...that you could relate well to people, as a physician must. Maintain eye contact, don't fidget too much, smile, dress professionally, and be polite and engaged-- piece of cake!

The odds are good that your interviewers complete some form evaluation and might well have spoken with 6 or more candidates in the same day. Ergo, it is a good idea to allude to something specific that was discussed during your 30+ minutes...this serves to bring you to mind, hopefully in a positive light. Good luck, y'all!
:luck::)

I submitted my secondary on 08/16 and my status says "has been reviewed" should I be worried that i'm probably not getting an invite at this point? Also, my stats are 3.83/30 do I even have a chance?:confused:

I have seen quite a few students having interviews with Ph.Ds as well. Not that it changes anything about your interviews, but just keep that in mind!

I submitted my secondary on 08/16 and my status says "has been reviewed" should I be worried that i'm probably not getting an invite at this point? Also, my stats are 3.83/30 do I even have a chance?:confused:

I am curious about this too.

I am curious about this too.

There's a huge variance in how long people stay in the "has been reviewed" stage, from a few hours to a several weeks. That being said, the general trend seems to be that high-stats applicants are being fast-tracked to be offered interviews before others, so I wouldn't worry quite yet -- they might just be waiting a bit before offering interviews to other highly qualified applicants. That, plus Baylor's general timeline (first decision in late November last year), I don't think it means that they've put you in the "no interview" pile just yet :thumbup:

There's a huge variance in how long people stay in the "has been reviewed" stage, from a few hours to a several weeks. That being said, the general trend seems to be that high-stats applicants are being fast-tracked to be offered interviews before others, so I wouldn't worry quite yet -- they might just be waiting a bit before offering interviews to other highly qualified applicants. That, plus Baylor's general timeline (first decision in late November last year), I don't think it means that they've put you in the "no interview" pile just yet :thumbup:

Thanks! I just wasn't sure if this status was normal for everyone and if people still get II's from it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BCM (like most others) seems to be methodical in its interviewing process...candidates likely try to read FAR TOO MUCH into how quickly an invite eventuates after one is complete. Trust me, you might not get interviewed until late February and still get accepted, perhaps also with a scholarship.

BCM is in the upper handful among all schools based on average GPA/MCAT of its ACCEPTED classes...the data for those who actually matriculate are a bit less daunting (3.80/33.12 for the 2010 entering class...the average MCAT of all of those ACCEPTED was a fair amount higher).

http://www.bcm.edu/medschool/snapshot.html

Keep the faith and be patient...BCM is worth hoping for! :)

http://www.studentdoc.com/top-10-medical-schools.html

According to our proprietary ranking tool (accessed at top right), StudentDoc's Top 10 medical schools for 2014 are as follows:

Washington University in St. Louis
Harvard University
Johns Hopkins University
Baylor College of Medicine
Stanford University (tied)
Mayo Medical School
Yale University
University of California, San Diego
University of California, San Francisco
University of Chicago
University of Pennsylvania

I'm a bit disappointed that I saw an interview confirmation back when the link was still working but I never got an invite :( has this happened to anyone else? (It's less than a month to the date I saw) here's so hoping something turns up at some point!

Best of luck to those who have already received interview invites! Oh, and this is way too early for everyone to start worrying about rejections! Stay positive. :)

I get the sense sometimes that folks perhaps miss what a great value BCM is, even at face rates for tuition. For example, for those 25% fortunate enough to be accepted OOS (about 45 per class) the face rate of tuition (just under $20k) might be WELL LESS than your in-state public medical schools. Also, those OOS acceptees seem to crack the code on buying a condo to establish Texas residency, thus reducing the face rate of tuition to just $6k by year two for a school regarded among the best, and which has had the highest Step 1 average OF ALL (244 in the class taking the Step 1 in 2012). That is nothing short of amazing, really.

It is true that there are also perhaps some $10k/yr. in fees, but scope those fees out at your state schools as well.

BCM can RIGHTLY claim to be, "the best value in private medical schools." Again, keep the faith for BCM! :luck:

good reading here if you have missed it...

http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/applicants/IFA_2012Web.pdf

OOS II yesterday! I could not be more excited!! Stats are 3.9 GPA 38 MCAT... my date was set for Oct. 18th... shoot me a message if you'll be there on that day too! Good luck to everyone!

OOS II yesterday! I could not be more excited!! Stats are 3.9 GPA 38 MCAT... my date was set for Oct. 18th... shoot me a message if you'll be there on that day too! Good luck to everyone!
Congrats! Approx how long had your application been in the "has been reviewed" status ?

Good for you! What state are you coming from?

I got an II yesterday as well! I'll also be interviewing on the 18th. I live in Houston, not far from George Bush International Airport (which is 30-45 minutes away from the Texas Medical Center. I might recommend that you fly in to Hobby Airport). Still, if you absolutely need a place to stay, then let me know. I live in a pretty humble abode, but there is a bed that you can sleep in.

And for those who are wondering. I was in "has been reviewed" for about one week, and following that was in "is being reviewed" for about 2 weeks. Good luck everyone!

Congrats guys!

It seems like if you were in "has been reviewed" status for a relatively short time before switching to "is being reviewed", you're likely to get an II.
My application, on the other hand, "has been reviewed" for way too long now. I guess it is safe and sound in the rejection pile waiting for whenever Baylor sends out the first batch of rejections... Oh well.

Last edited:
Congrats guys!

It seems like if you were in "has been reviewed" status for a relatively short time before switching to "is being reviewed", you're likely to get an II.
My application, on the other hand, "has been reviewed" for way too long now. I guess it is safe and sound is in the rejection pile waiting for whenever Baylor sends out the first batch of rejections... Oh well.

+1, but I attribute the essay I wrote for Baylor to at least three interview invites so far. Glad I applied here even if they're going to reject me

I got an II yesterday as well! I'll also be interviewing on the 18th. I live in Houston, not far from George Bush International Airport (which is 30-45 minutes away from the Texas Medical Center. I might recommend that you fly in to Hobby Airport). Still, if you absolutely need a place to stay, then let me know. I live in a pretty humble abode, but there is a bed that you can sleep in.

And for those who are wondering. I was in "has been reviewed" for about one week, and following that was in "is being reviewed" for about 2 weeks. Good luck everyone!
I'll be interviewing on the 18th too! Driving from Dallas. Do you like living in Houston?

Congrats! and thanks for the info on time in each status. Do you have similiar impressive stats as Airabuyu13?

I'll be interviewing on the 18th too! Driving from Dallas. Do you like living in Houston?

Well, Houston is a very large city geographically, so it is difficult to sum up the entire city in one post. The area that I live in (Northwest Houston), for instance, is pretty boring.

That being said, the area around the Texas Medical Center (and pretty much anything within the 610 Loop) is pretty amazing and I'd be thrilled to move there.

Congrats! and thanks for the info on time in each status. Do you have similiar impressive stats as Airabuyu13?

My stats are nowhere near as impressive as Airabuyu13.

I have a pretty long story, and I didn't decide to pursue medicine until the summer between my 4th and 5th year of undergrad. I graduated from UT in Austin with a 3.65 GPA and degrees in Chemistry and History. I took the MCAT a few years ago and with only about a week's worth of preparation and got a 34. I've been working as an ED scribe at a hospital in Houston for the past year or so.

Well, Houston is a very large city geographically, so it is difficult to sum up the entire city in one post. The area that I live in (Northwest Houston), for instance, is pretty boring.

That being said, the area around the Texas Medical Center (and pretty much anything within the 610 Loop) is pretty amazing and I'd be thrilled to move there.

My stats are nowhere near as impressive as Airabuyu13.

I have a pretty long story, and I didn't decide to pursue medicine until the summer between my 4th and 5th year of undergrad. I graduated from UT in Austin with a 3.65 GPA and degrees in Chemistry and History. I took the MCAT a few years ago and with only about a week's worth of preparation and got a 34. I've been working as an ED scribe at a hospital in Houston for the past year or so.
Maybe not as impressive stats, but an impressive story, wow getting a 34 on MCAT with a week's worth of studying is amazing since your major was not in physics or biology plus work experience, I d say that is just as impressive.

btw I checked last night and my status changed to "is being reviewed" :)

If any of you can, please give me advantages Baylor may have over San Antonio, UTSW, and/or UTMB, especially with regard to overall student happiness/stress and preparation for Step I.

Thanks!

If any of you can, please give me advantages Baylor may have over San Antonio, UTSW, and/or UTMB, especially with regard to overall student happiness/stress and preparation for Step I.

Thanks!

BCM had an average Step 1 score of 244 for 2012 per a current senior/MS4, reportedly the highest average among ANY medical school in America...it was also in the top 10 (# 4) in competitive entry based mainly on average GPA's and MCAT's for the ACCEPTED applicants:

http://www.studentdoc.com/top-10-medical-schools.html

There used to be a rumor (probably back before BCM went to pass/fail) that BCM was a gunner school...I (a Dad of a current MS2) personally know students there today who say that this is NO LONGER true (if it ever was). There is a good esprits de corps and collegial atmosphere, with student PRN (Preclinical Resource Network) mentoring/support groups. :)

UTSW seems to vie with BCM to be # 1 in Texas, but is apparently not quite there.

There can be NO QUESTION that the work load is demanding, but BCM knows what it is doing in teaching/training top physicians, including preparing them for the Step 1...they were a pioneer in the 18 month (versus the traditional 2 year) pre-clinical format.