2013-2014 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted through status page!!! No email here. I thought my Skype interview went horrible! Can't wait for second look! Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to those still waiting!
skype interview? thats weird

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does Johns Hopkins send waitlist tiers in February?

Does Johns Hopkins send waitlist tiers in February?

I don't believe Hopkins keeps a tiered waitlist anymore. From looking at old threads it seems like they had a "lower" tier waitlist several years ago but I don't think they indicate where you are on the waitlist anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? When's an appropriate time to send a LOI then in your opinion?

I'm expecting a pre-interview rejection and it hasn't come with the interview season winding down. Does Hopkins do waves of rejections and I just happen to be in the final one? Haa..

I'm expecting a pre-interview rejection and it hasn't come with the interview season winding down. Does Hopkins do waves of rejections and I just happen to be in the final one? Haa..

The last interview day of the cycle is March 7th and I got an interview invite on 1/27 for tomorrow (2/13), so there's still hope! They interview on Thursdays and/or Fridays.

Reactions: 2 users
I am so nervous for my interview this Friday. This is going to be my first med school interview, and I honestly have no idea what to expect lol. Canadian interviews dont start until late March (at least for the places that im interviewing at least). Since this is going to be my first interview, I get nervous whenever I even get the most simple questions like tell me about yourself. But I've been improving over the past few days. and by the way Im soooo jealous of everyone who has already been accepted.
I just had a question. Do you guys know if Hopkins has a separate pool for international applicants? Does being an international increase or lower my chances at this stage?

Also any tips for a rookie med school applicant would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much

does anyone feel up to sharing how the 'group interaction' part of the interview went? i'm just not sure what to expect in terms of how we're being judged by the 4th yr students and what we're being judged on? being social.... and asking good questions? and should i assume the atmosphere will be more stressed?

i've always looked forward to the time between interviews as some alone time for me to gather thoughts and relax, but i'm not sure if i can do that at jhu if the pressure is on to be 'on' all the time

thanks so much!!

does anyone feel up to sharing how the 'group interaction' part of the interview went? i'm just not sure what to expect in terms of how we're being judged by the 4th yr students and what we're being judged on? being social.... and asking good questions? and should i assume the atmosphere will be more stressed?

i've always looked forward to the time between interviews as some alone time for me to gather thoughts and relax, but i'm not sure if i can do that at jhu if the pressure is on to be 'on' all the time

thanks so much!!

From my perspective, the group interview was very laid back! They are just looking for any major flags, like does s/he shy away from people or do something kind of rude like pull out their phone. You can ask some questions and they will answer, but I encourage you to view it as a small social gathering - find out a bit about who they are and naturally share more about yourself in the process (not in a self-promoting/interview way, in the way you get to know any human being by finding common ground). To give you an idea, they ended up asking where I lived and I told them about what life is like in the city, and they seemed curious and asked questions and then talked about where they lived, etc. normal human stuff. Good luck!!

My fourth year interviewer said the group portion was pass/fail...they are looking for bullies and dinguses, that's it. And as it turned out we didn't have very much time in front of the fourth year students period--mostly we were alone and it was very chill. JHU recruits a good bunch for interviews. I felt like I was in a room full of very cool people!!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences! Good to hear it was relaxed :)

thanks so much!!

Yeah it wasn't stressful at all! Interviews began right after the walking tour - it would have been nice to have a minute or two to just run through my experiences by myself (I ended up being the first one to interview and was called for my faculty one about 30 seconds after I sat down post-tour haha), but I think it was actually better that way because I didn't really have time/ an opportunity to sit and worry about it. And the environment while you were waiting to interview was nice as well, also because it took your mind off of worrying what you were going to say - I had a long conversation with one of the fourth-years (who ended up living not too far from me) about his kids and the city and whatnot. Overall a very welcoming atmosphere... in my experience, no one is trying to put you in the hot seat haha. Plenty of opportunities to have any and all of your questions answered, as well. =]

Whoa guys.. I just got an II. Complete 12/15. II next week. [Edit: I mean, interview is scheduled for next week.]

Ohhhhh yeeaaahhh.

I hope I'm not interviewing for a WL spot, but since it's JH SOM, I actually wouldn't mind!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

thanks so much!!

They wore lab coats and had clipboards while they peered at us through the glass.

Just kidding, it was pretty much the opposite. The fourth years chatted us up and were super friendly and chill!

Anyone pre-interview, no invite, no rejection? Don't know if I should give up on the dream lol...

From their facebook page:

"There is one more week of interviewing, as you probably know from past postings, so it is finally winding down. Decisions will continue to be sent through mid-April or so, though we plan to inform anyone not invited to interview of their decision within the next two weeks. I will, of course, post more after the notifications are sent."

I'm giving up hope if I don't hear anything by tomorrow.

Anyone pre-interview, no invite, no rejection? Don't know if I should give up on the dream lol...

I'm in the same boat, I guess its a nice consolation to have made it this far without a rejection.. but its still not quite over yet.

Does anyone remember the next day the decisions will be released?

I'm in the same boat, I guess its a nice consolation to have made it this far without a rejection.. but its still not quite over yet.

Same here...last little shred of hope :shy:

Accepted students - did your letter say "This is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of all admission requirements prior to that date"? I am trying to figure out if there is a problem with my app and they think I didn't finish, or if this is a stock note in all acceptance letters. It did not list any requirements that I have to finish - I'll call the office, but thought I would check here first. Thanks!

Accepted students - did your letter say "This is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of all admission requirements prior to that date"? I am trying to figure out if there is a problem with my app and they think I didn't finish, or if this is a stock note in all acceptance letters. It did not list any requirements that I have to finish - I'll call the office, but thought I would check here first. Thanks!

Yep! Mine had that as well. From what I know I've completed all the requirements so I imagine it's there for everybody.

From their facebook page:

"There is one more week of interviewing, as you probably know from past postings, so it is finally winding down. Decisions will continue to be sent through mid-April or so, though we plan to inform anyone not invited to interview of their decision within the next two weeks. I will, of course, post more after the notifications are sent."

I'm giving up hope if I don't hear anything by tomorrow.

Wait, mid-April? I thought the last day they could tell us was March 15th

Does anyone know whether Hopkins likes Letters of Intent after wait listed?

does anyone actually know who's interviewed recently when acceptances are coming out? What does end of march actually mean? After my duke disappointment today this is the only other place I need to get rejected from. kind of want it over with and move on with my life TT.

Does anyone know whether Hopkins likes Letters of Intent after wait listed?

Here's a post from their facebook page suggesting it's probably not taken into consideration if sent.

From 1/9/2013 on fb

Hello All,

We sometimes receive letters from applicants expressing their intention of matriculating at Hopkins should they be accepted. Some medical schools may encourage this type of letter, but they really mean very little to our Admissions Committee. The reason is that we assume that anyone who applies may initially intend to enroll, otherwise why apply? A letter that we welcome is the one sent along with an acceptance offer. Some schools call these letters of intent, statement if intent and I have also seen them referred to as a declaration of intent. These must be returned to the medical school within a given period of time (it may vary, depending on the institution). It obligates the medical school to hold the admitted student's place in the class. The applicant, who may receive and accept multiple offers, is not obligated to any one school until May 15th, when he or she must withdraw all offers, save one. You may learn more about this on the AMCAS website.

Do you need to "accept" a waitlist spot at JHU?

Here's a post from their facebook page suggesting it's probably not taken into consideration if sent.

From 1/9/2013 on fb

Hello All,

We sometimes receive letters from applicants expressing their intention of matriculating at Hopkins should they be accepted. Some medical schools may encourage this type of letter, but they really mean very little to our Admissions Committee. The reason is that we assume that anyone who applies may initially intend to enroll, otherwise why apply? A letter that we welcome is the one sent along with an acceptance offer. Some schools call these letters of intent, statement if intent and I have also seen them referred to as a declaration of intent. These must be returned to the medical school within a given period of time (it may vary, depending on the institution). It obligates the medical school to hold the admitted student's place in the class. The applicant, who may receive and accept multiple offers, is not obligated to any one school until May 15th, when he or she must withdraw all offers, save one. You may learn more about this on the AMCAS website.

thank you. i think i might send one regardless :D. even if it only helps, as mentioned in the post, a little. :).

From 1/9/2013 on fb

Hello All,

Thanks for the helpful post! It sucks to hear JHU does not care about LOI. Also, maybe I am biased, but it sounds a little snobby to me that they say, essentially, that they only care about what their accepted students do, not what their wait-listed ones do: "[These letters] mean very little to our admissions committee... a letter that we welcome is the one sent along with an acceptance offer."

Oh well. That's real life, I guess.

Anybody have any idea how generous Hopkins Need based financial aid is?? Also how did everyone like Baltimore when they visited? Id love to get some opinions! Can't wait for second look!

do we have any word on when the next round of decisions will be released? Starting to get so antsy.

Anybody have any idea how generous Hopkins Need based financial aid is?? Also how did everyone like Baltimore when they visited? Id love to get some opinions! Can't wait for second look!

I'm not too sure about Need Based aid. At this point I'm just assuming it's as difficult to predict and seemingly random as most need-based allocations seem to be. As for Baltimore, I did some exploring around and it seems like it's a tough place to generalize. It's very much split into distinct neighborhoods with some that are quite charming, others not so much. But I had low expectations for the place and it far surpassed them. And it's true, the area surrounding the medical school certainly isn't one of the best, but if you are at all concerned with problems associated with urban decay, poverty, inequity, etc., then I would guess you are very well-positioned to explore them.

Anyways, this is all just coming from a fellow applicant so don't take my word for much. I'm sure others are better suited to chime in. I'm also super excited for second look and I'll see ya there!

Hey Guys,

I know this topic has been covered before, but I wanted to get feedback from people on this thread about this school specifically. I received an acceptance back in December (yay!). At the time, I was also taking what could possibly be one of the most challenging classes I have ever taken. I have a pretty solid academic record but I got a C in that class. It is the only C on my transcript. I am really worried that this could lead to my acceptance being rescinded. I would really appreciate feedback from other applicants and current students. Thanks!

Hey Guys,

I know this topic has been covered before, but I wanted to get feedback from people on this thread about this school specifically. I received an acceptance back in December (yay!). At the time, I was also taking what could possibly be one of the most challenging classes I have ever taken. I have a pretty solid academic record but I got a C in that class. It is the only C on my transcript. I am really worried that this could lead to my acceptance being rescinded. I would really appreciate feedback from other applicants and current students. Thanks!
They can't do $h!t. Relax and play.

Just received email to check portal for admissions decision: Waitlist..... (interviewed late December)

And that completes my cycle. Guess I wait until May to see if I get anymore action

I got the same email, but I cannot find "the decision link" on my page....

waitlist as well. who knows about how much jhu waitlist moves.....this is the end of my cycle as well.

I can't find the decisions tab either. Did you find it? Do you know what this means?
Not yet, refreshing the page like crazy tho. Probably a system error. But I kinda feel that getting an email Sunday night most likely means waitlisted, but I'm staying positive.

Ahhhhh, I can't find the Decision Link either. Driving me crazy. Why would an email on Sunday mean waitlisted? That doesn't make any sense. I'm going to bed and will check in the morning.

Not yet, refreshing the page like crazy tho. Probably a system error. But I kinda feel that getting an email Sunday night most likely means waitlisted, but I'm staying positive.
I see. I was thinking so too that it is likely to be waitlist or reject considering the time they sent the email.