2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Will today be the day? Having to wait this long is so dreadful! :(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received a call, they want to put my application on hold, they will make a decision on my application on May 15th.

More waiting. Better than a rejection.

Just received a call, they want to put my application on hold, they will make a decision on my application on May 15th.

More waiting. Better than a rejection.

Wow do you think that’s an indication that they want to accept you but don’t have enough spots to give you an acceptance? Wouldn’t make any sense to put you on hold and then reject you and if they wanted to waitlist you I feel like they would’ve done it now like they did for one of the other recent people that posted. What does everyone else think? Im already on the waitlist and just neurotically speculating what this all means for my chances lol

Reactions: 1 user
Wow do you think that’s an indication that they want to accept you but don’t have enough spots to give you an acceptance? Wouldn’t make any sense to put you on hold and then reject you and if they wanted to waitlist you I feel like they would’ve done it now like they did for one of the other recent people that posted. What does everyone else think? Im already on the waitlist and just neurotically speculating what this all means for my chances lol
A few people earlier said there were open seats at their recent interviews so this is kind of strange

I imagine they look favorably on my application, but they have other candidates that they feel more strongly about and have offered acceptances to. Im speculating that they to see where they stand after this last round of acceptances before they make a final decision on me.

II 4/25. Rejected post II via email. Oh well, so now I wait for waitlist movement at the other schools. Onward!!!

Did anyone from 4/25 interview date receive any news?

A few people earlier said there were open seats at their recent interviews so this is kind of strange

Yeah, I don’t know know why they said they have open seats. I kept in contact with 5 people from the interview. We were all waitlisted or rejected today.

I interviewed 4/25 also but got waitlisted :\

I imagine they look favorably on my application, but they have other candidates that they feel more strongly about and have offered acceptances to. Im speculating that they to see where they stand after this last round of acceptances before they make a final decision on me.

TOTAL speculation here but my guess is that they only had a few open spots left and they sent out a few acceptances to fill those spots. After that they put a hold on the applicants that they really really liked but don’t have a spot for currently and so then you’ll be first one they accept when spots open up. Almost as if a hold is like a priority waitlist. Again 100 percent speculation so no one take my analysis too seriously lol. I just can’t rationalize why else they didn’t just waitlist you if they wanted to “wait” and evaluate your status later

Members don't see this ad :)
TOTAL speculation here but my guess is that they only had a few open spots left and they sent out a few acceptances to fill those spots. After that they put a hold on the applicants that they really really liked but don’t have a spot for currently and so then you’ll be first one they accept when spots open up. Almost as if a hold is like a priority waitlist. Again 100 percent speculation so no one take my analysis too seriously lol. I just can’t rationalize why else they didn’t just waitlist you if they wanted to “wait” and evaluate your status later
For those who are wait-listed, do you mind sharing your STAT?

Last edited:
I believe this year they are doing away with the alternate list, so I believe they have a waitlist only.

I truly felt no one from the last two II were going to get a straight acceptance. I had a feeling they would waitlist or reject all of us. Then they're gonna see where they
I'm really curious to see if anyone gets a straight acceptance.
I believe this year they are doing away with the alternate list, so I believe they have a waitlist only.
Unless the phone call I received is their new version of the alternate list.

Ok, so the million dollar question:
Is the alternate list and the waitlist the same thing or something completely different?
Also got waitlisted.

They are the same thing. On the subject of my email it says "waitlist" and in the actual message it says I am on alternate list.

I like this theory, haha. Any idea the likelihood of someone NOT accepting this late in the game?

Ok, so it seems to be that last year, not too many candidates were pulled off the waitlist, any ideas of how many students they usually put on the waitlist every year? And what are our chances of getting accepted out of it at this point of the game?
Is may 15th the last day to keep/drop your seat?
I recall them telling us during our presentation at the interview on 4/11, he said they planned on pulling 100 ppl off the waitlist. I remember it cause it seemed outrageous. Anyone else hear that?

I recall them telling us during our presentation at the interview on 4/11, he said they planned on pulling 100 ppl off the waitlist. I remember it cause it seemed outrageous. Anyone else hear that?

I remember that as well.

Well, in that case, we might all get lucky then... as long as they do not have a waitlist of 200 students!!!!
On 4/11 interview day they told us there were 174 on the waitlist already. Plus the free from 4/11 and 4/25 that just got put on, it is probably creeping close to 200.

If those are the numbers, then you are right, we might already be 200 now. Therefore we all have a 50/50 chance.
Let's keep dreaming then.
I'm withdrawing my application from the waitlist so hopefully it increases your chances just a tiny bit!

Hi guys, I'm new to this. But I interviewed 4/25 and found out today I was accepted! I wish everyone on the waitlist the best of luck and those that were rejected, hope you all receive good news from the other schools you applied to. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Interview 4/11. Got a call that said my application was on hold until further review.

Formally withdrew this past week. Best of luck to those still waiting for good news.

It's a great program, but I couldn't justify the private loans when I had another option. (Going to ACOM instead)

Formally withdrew this past week. Best of luck to those still waiting for good news.

It's a great program, but I couldn't justify the private loans when I had another option. (Going to ACOM instead)
Did you have an acceptance from BCOM?

For those of you on the waitlist, did they say when you'd be hearing back?

I wonder if it’s proper to t ask the AdCom to take a second look at my application after I interviewed and received a rejection email?

I wonder if it’s proper to t ask the AdCom to take a second look at my application after I interviewed and received a rejection email?

I don't see that going well. You can always try but a rejection seems pretty final to me.

Does anyone know if they have already started pulling people off the waitlist yet?

Yea that pretty much means a reject.

I disagree. If they wanted to reject him (and JessyBee who also got put on hold) they’d just do it. Literally no logic in waiting longer to reject someone. A more logical explanation is that there are no more seats in the class and they want to outright accept these two without putting them on the waitlist. So they are therefore waiting for seats to open up to outright accept them. I think that theory makes more sense (but obviously I could be wrong)

I disagree. If they wanted to reject him (and JessyBee who also got put on hold) they’d just do it. Literally no logic in waiting longer to reject someone. A more logical explanation is that there are no more seats in the class and they want to outright accept these two without putting them on the waitlist. So they are therefore waiting for seats to open up to outright accept them. I think that theory makes more sense (but obviously I could be wrong)
That explanation does make sense but at the same time, why not just put them at the very top of the waitlist?

I agree with wookie. I think youre much better off asking how to improve your application for next year.

That explanation does make sense but at the same time, why not just put them at the very top of the waitlist?
I've had these thoughts too. Of course I'm going to be more optimistic and hope it boads well for me. Doesn't make sense to me to have a staff member use their time to call people when they could just send a rejection email or waitlist email. Also, during my phone call, she said "the admissions team has made a recommendation for your application. The dean of admissions would like to hold off on making the decision until May 15th." All very cryptic and high anxiety but I took that as he wants to wait for those who have received acceptances to finalize. Who knows, though.
I wonder if it has anything to do with my letter of intent that I sent?

I've had these thoughts too. Of course I'm going to be more optimistic and hope it boads well for me. Doesn't make sense to me to have a staff member use their time to call people when they could just send a rejection email or waitlist email. Also, during my phone call, she said "the admissions team has made a recommendation for your application. The dean of admissions would like to hold off on making the decision until May 15th." All very cryptic and high anxiety but I took that as he wants to wait for those who have received acceptances to finalize. Who knows, though.
I wonder if it has anything to do with my letter of intent that I sent?
Did you send the letter of intent before/after interview or before/after having been waitlisted?

Did you send the letter of intent before/after interview or before/after having been waitlisted?

Letter of intent definitely has nothing to do with it. I’ve talked to multiple people on here who have heard directly from admissions that a letter of intent has no impact on admissions decisions nor does it have an impact on people’s spot on the waitlist. The waitlist position is ranked 20% based on interview and 80% based on application. Letter of intent had no impact.

After the interview, the Monday before the decisions were to be made.
It seems to me that they want to wait till the 15th to see if they have any other spots available, if they do you might get one then

Hi guys, I'm new to this. But I interviewed 4/25 and found out today I was accepted! I wish everyone on the waitlist the best of luck and those that were rejected, hope you all receive good news from the other schools you applied to. :)
Can you share your STATs?

Hey just wanted to congratulate all the people that were accepted look forward to seeing your class next year, There is a Facebook page for your class don't forget to join it! Best of luck to all. On a side note, those that weren't accepted this isn't the end of the world you guys will do amazing things.

Any info about when they are going to start pulling students off the waitlist?

Reactions: 1 users
Any info about when they are going to start pulling students off the waitlist?
No concrete answers here but my best assumption is 15 days after the leas acceptance noticed went out which I believe is 18th. So possibly the week of the 21st.

When is deadline to get the private loan certification done?