2021-2022 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats! mind sharing stats? also were you on hold?
Thank you much! 502 MCAT 3.2 undergrad GPA/3.9 SMP Grad program GPA. I was not on any sort of hold or interview waitlist!

Members don't see this ad.

II today!!! Completely unexpected! Scheduled for 4/29 (only date available) Stats: 3.47uGPA 495--->501 MCAT (I'm not a URM)

Reactions: 4 users
I just got an II, received 2ndary invite in March. What does this mean if it's this late

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard of any WL movement recently?

Has anyone heard of any WL movement recently?
I emailed them last week to update my application and they told me they were reviewing the waitlist again this week, so hopefully we'll hear something soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all!
So, I applied to ACOM initially in June 2021. I received a secondary application invite in March 2022 and submitted immediately. I received an interview invite on April 1st (almost thought it was a joke) and my interview is scheduled for April 22.
Undergrad cGPA - 3.27
Undergrad sGPA- 2.97
MCAT x1 - 499
I’ve got a ton of volunteering hours and about 2000 clinical hours with much of that being with a DO. I’m also an Alabama native from a rural underserved area and disadvantaged status and first generation college student.

Just wanted to reach out to see if anyone has any advice for the interview and also wondered if anyone has any idea how long it usually takes for a decision to be made after interview. Also, should I bring up an acceptance to an MD school?
Thanks for any tips!

I emailed them last week to update my application and they told me they were reviewing the waitlist again this week, so hopefully we'll hear something soon!
Hopefully I can come off I’ll accept in a heart beat

Hey all!
So, I applied to ACOM initially in June 2021. I received a secondary application invite in March 2022 and submitted immediately. I received an interview invite on April 1st (almost thought it was a joke) and my interview is scheduled for April 22.
Undergrad cGPA - 3.27
Undergrad sGPA- 2.97
MCAT x1 - 499
I’ve got a ton of volunteering hours and about 2000 clinical hours with much of that being with a DO. I’m also an Alabama native from a rural underserved area and disadvantaged status and first generation college student.

Just wanted to reach out to see if anyone has any advice for the interview and also wondered if anyone has any idea how long it usually takes for a decision to be made after interview. Also, should I bring up an acceptance to an MD school?
Thanks for any tips!
Unless it's a Caribbean school or the cost will be significantly higher than attending ACOM, why are you even interviewing at ACOM with an MD acceptance?

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all!
Undergrad cGPA - 3.27
Undergrad sGPA- 2.97
MCAT x1 - 499

Thanks for any tips!
what MD acceptance do you have?

Did any of you send a letter of intent? If so, did you address it to the admissions committee or someone specific like Ms. Linda Goodson?

Hey all!
Undergrad cGPA - 3.27
Undergrad sGPA- 2.97
MCAT x1 - 499

Thanks for any tips!
Definitely emphasize being an AL native and your life experiences (rural/underserved area, disadvantaged & first gen). The school’s mission is to meet the primary care needs of the region, so that will factor into the decision. They are quick with decisions, as mine came within a week.

Unless it's a Caribbean school or the cost will be significantly higher than attending ACOM, why are you even interviewing at ACOM with an MD acceptance?
While allopathic schools have more resources and are generally the better option for most, it is in OP’s best interest to keep as many options open as possible. There may be personal factors compelling them to interview at a lower ranked program.

OP: As to whether or not you should be interviewing at a DO program with an MD acceptance, do keep in mind that DO programs have a slight disadvantage when it comes to competitive residencies. It’s doable, but you have more obstacles to jump through (COMLEX, OMM). I’d factor that into your decision making process.

Hope that helps! Feel free to DM with any other questions. ACOM is a great school that can provide you with a stellar quality of education.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all!
Undergrad cGPA - 3.27
Undergrad sGPA- 2.97
MCAT x1 - 499

Thanks for any tips!
I agree with everything that @BioPsychotic said above. The interview is open file, so they will ask you about anything and everything you put on there. Be prepared to address your GPA, MCAT, ECs, etc. I strongly recommend taking a look at the interview feedback here on SDN: Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine Interview Feedback. I would definitely not bring up your MD acceptance, and would instead focus on why you want to attend ACOM specifically, why DO, why medicine, your story, things like that. ACOM has a really fast turnaround, usually within a week or two. Good luck!

To everyone: feel free to reach out to me with any questions about ACOM, Dothan, HPSP, etc! Glad to help!

Can anyone explain why, in the email that they sent out with the AACOMAS ids and zoom links for the interview rooms, were some of the names listed in green and some in red. I counted for mine and there were 11 green and 13 red for the April 22nd scheduled dates. I only realized this after my interview.

Could it be attending vs not attending or maybe looked upon favorably vs not.

Does someone feel comfortable sharing whether they got accepted or waitlisted after the interview based on the color they were coded? (Either Green or Red)
I was coded in red and was accepted. Would not think too much of it. Do your best to show why you would make a great physician.

• Love
Can anyone explain why, in the email that they sent out with the AACOMAS ids and zoom links for the interview rooms, were some of the names listed in green and some in red. I counted for mine and there were 11 green and 13 red for the April 22nd scheduled dates. I only realized this after my interview.

Could it be attending vs not attending or maybe looked upon favorably vs not.

Does someone feel comfortable sharing whether they got accepted or waitlisted after the interview based on the color they were coded? (Either Green or Red)
No lol, pretty sure they’re just sorting systems or something for pushing people into break rooms etc... I was green and got waitlist

I was coded red and waitlisted, wouldn’t think to much about it

Definitely emphasize being an AL native and your life experiences (rural/underserved area, disadvantaged & first gen). The school’s mission is to meet the primary care needs of the region, so that will factor into the decision. They are quick with decisions, as mine came within a week.

OP: As to whether or not you should be interviewing at a DO program with an MD acceptance, do keep in mind that DO programs have a slight disadvantage when it comes to competitive residencies. It’s doable, but you have more obstacles to jump through (COMLEX, OMM). I’d factor that into your decision making process.

Hope that helps! Feel free to DM with any other questions. ACOM is a great school that can provide you with a stellar quality of education.

Thanks for the advice. That’s exactly what I did. They actually were transparent and informed everyone that interviewed that they already received the 200 deposits for the coming class, but they were interviewing because they expected about 40 to drop around May 15th after MD schools finalize.

The MD school I was accepted to is AUC in the Caribbean so it’s more expensive but thankfully is eligible for financial aid through the USDOE. However, leaving my wife and kids and the inherent difficulty/stigma around being an IMG is why I’m willing to drop the MD acceptance for ACOM. My current interest and passion is for primary care so I’m not too worried about competitive specialties.

Thanks for the advice. That’s exactly what I did. They actually were transparent and informed everyone that interviewed that they already received the 200 deposits for the coming class, but they were interviewing because they expected about 40 to drop around May 15th after MD schools finalize.

The MD school I was accepted to is AUC in the Caribbean so it’s more expensive but thankfully is eligible for financial aid through the USDOE. However, leaving my wife and kids and the inherent difficulty/stigma around being an IMG is why I’m willing to drop the MD acceptance for ACOM. My current interest and passion is for primary care so I’m not too worried about competitive specialties.
Sir the huge difference in match rate between the two schools should be the main reason you stay sway from Caribbean schools. It might not sound like a big deal rn but once you are in debt after 4 years with no match, then it will.

If you've been receiving interviews at US medical schools, please do not go to the Caribbean. These are last resort schools if you can't get in after 4-5 cycles, after attempting to proactively improve your application. US MDs and DOs both have above 90 percent first time match rates, Caribbean schools are at 60ish percent (even after losing 2/3rds of the class to attrition). You will most likely end up doing residency in the least competitive spots and specialties if you attend a school outside the US, DOs match way more readily to desirable specialties. Don't drink the Kool Aid from AUC. You've proven you're able to attract attention from U.S. schools and I hope you get in this cycle. If not please take the time to improve your app (Retake MCAT, postbacc, etc) and reapply, you will make it in, especially with your compelling story. Do not mention the acceptance either, ACOM is several tiers higher than any Caribbean medical school. It would be a turn off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Anyone hear back from 4/22 interview yet?

Correction: I actually just received notification of being placed on the waitlist to ACOM.

Just got my sorry to inform you email

• Care
I’m guessing no one has heard anything about waitlist movement still? Crazy…. I thought we would hear something by now. This wait is tough.

• Sad
I’m guessing no one has heard anything about waitlist movement still? Crazy…. I thought we would hear something by now. This wait is tough.

Still 4 more days before MD students have to make a final decision. May not even be until next week.

Was just accepted off the waitlist!!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Just got the call a couple hours ago and moved off the waitlist!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
My stats:
cGPA: 2.74, uGPA: 2.35, SMP: 3.94, MCAT: 512 (w/100-percentile B/B section), >>25k hrs as an X-Ray tech / medical assistant (13 years of full time/overtime employment from 19 to now at 32).

Edit: is there a groupme for accepted students?

Does anyone know whether they assess the waitlist based on when you were placed on it? Curious if people placed on the WL in the fall see movement before people waitlisted in the spring or if they're all in the same boat!

Does anyone know whether they assess the waitlist based on when you were placed on it? Curious if people placed on the WL in the fall see movement before people waitlisted in the spring or if they're all in the same boat!

I was invited to interview in fall, I think September but the earliest opening that was available to me wasn’t until early February.

I don’t think so. They used to reevaluate the waitlist then offer acceptances based on merit not time in the list.

Really sucks that all the MD schools that ghosted me for so long are now emailing me letting me know they aren’t moving forward with my app… like yeah, I noticed that about 4 months ago.

I don’t think so. They used to reevaluate the waitlist then offer acceptances based on merit not time in the list.
Is it worth sending an email to the admissions office to ask about your position on the list?

Is it worth sending an email to the admissions office to ask about your position on the list?

From what we were told on our interview day they don’t recommend it just simply because the people that were waitlisted earlier may not even be interested so they have to sort through all of that before actually ranking it.

If you do let us know what they say. Because I’d be curious about where I am.

If you do let us know what they say. Because I’d be curious about where I am.
I've read through most threads for the past 5 years and all contact with admissions to find out their rank didn't work. Let's just hope that after or on Monday there's significant movement! WL hope is still alive especially after they made calls on Thursday!

Withdrew my acceptance here this morning. Hoping my spot can go to one of you folks on the WL!

• Care
I've read through most threads for the past 5 years and all contact with admissions to find out their rank didn't work. Let's just hope that after or on Monday there's significant movement! WL hope is still alive especially after they made calls on Thursday!
Okay, I won't reach out to them then. I'll continue keeping my fingers crossed!

Just got my Waitlist email this morning - here's hoping to some waitlist movement in the coming weeks