Drexel DPMS 2014-15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@rayovac I actually sent my app out a few weeks ago and paid online :( I wish I had known about the fee waiver :/
I think for my info session choice there was an option to choose fall 14' ..

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys know how stern they are about the LORs? I heard from someone that they want three with 2 from science professors, but I know I can get 2 really strong rec's from research PI's and one really strong one from my job. Should I try to get not as strong LOR from science profs or should I just use the ones from my research that are really strong?

Do you guys know how stern they are about the LORs? I heard from someone that they want three with 2 from science professors, but I know I can get 2 really strong rec's from research PI's and one really strong one from my job. Should I try to get not as strong LOR from science profs or should I just use the ones from my research that are really strong?
I would get letters from who the program asks for. However to be sure, I would also call the DPMS office and ask them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello.... for the DPMS are classes onsite? are there online recordings? I know the majority of medical schools are doing this now. Obviously the exams are on site but I am wondering about the ability to revisit course/lecture material...thanks

Yes all medical school classes are recorded and can be viewed online at any time. Biochemistry and Physiology and Immuno for Track 2 are recorded, those are the med school classes you take. Pharmacology and Anatomy are not recorded, those are with the graduate school.

After finishing the DPMS program, if accepted into Drexel SOM, would you then be a M2 or M1? Thanks.

Hello again. Sorry if someone already asked this question but what exactly happens during the summer prep? How many weeks? How many times a week? Is it a course or an orientation?? Thnx

Interview invites will be sent out after the application deadline date of April 25, 2014.

I have read on previous discussion boards that interviews were handed out at the end of March. It is just a waiting game at this point!

Hey all!

I'm glad to see you are interested in DPMS. I'm a current DPMS student and am almost set to matriculate to the school next year-- if I can pull Bs in Anatomy and Physiology this semester (fingers crossed)! For your reference, my stats were 2.9 cum and 2.9 sci, V 6 PS 8 B 8. I know some people in the program who had lower gpa and MCAT than is stated in the application so it's true they really do look at the whole picture so don't hesitate to apply. If anyone is unclear, this program is a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to get into to medical school. It is geared toward providing an opportunity for URMs OR Economically/Socially disadvantaged students to prove that they can handle a medical curriculum. But we have students from all different backgrounds, all different stories, and all different races (black, white, hispanic, asian etc.) Depending on what track you end up in, you need to get a 3.0 overal gpa in the following classes:

Fall Semester-
Medical Biochemistry
Medical Physiology I
Graduate Pharmacology

Spring Semester-
Medical Physiology II
Anatomy
Medicine and Society

And then for Track 1 students you must get an MCAT of:
Verbal 7
Physical Sciences 8
Biology 8

For track 2 students you must take Medical Immunology in the Fall and Spring and PASS the class, or attain a 70%. Immuno doesn't count toward gpa, it's a pass fail for DPMS.

You do those things and you are in medical school! It's a doable program but it's much more difficult than it sounds. Put in the work and you're good to go.

To answer a couple questions so far:

@ Drexel.chla

Yes go ahead and apply. It's really all about how you tell your story on the application and how you present yourself in the interview.

If you have any questions especially during interview time, don't hesitate to PM me or post questions on this forum and I'll answer them when I can!

Good Luck

Thanks for the info! I just found out about this program very recently, so I have a lot of questions. Could you explain the differences between the two tracks? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
@whyorwhynot

Hello,

Good luck on that MCAT! Hopefully this reply can serve as good information for other applicants as well.

1) I am kind of a procrastinator-- I didn't find out about the program until mid April when I knew I wasn't going to get into any schools I started looking into postbacs. I discovered that there were postbacs that granted direct admission to a med school upon completion and then went all out trying to find those. I somehow stumbled upon DPMS and saw it was by far the best opportunity. I know some other programs are similar at Georgetown and The Ohio State. I applied on the last day available to apply late April and, got the interview invite the first week of May and then interviewed at the end of May, then heard back in mid June.
2) There is no gpa or MCAT maximum. However if you have scores competitive enough for med school acceptance like a 3.5+ and a 30+ you would probably not get accepted because you already have a strong chance getting in the traditional route. Generally DPMS students either had below average stats or a high gpa and low MCAT or vice versa. At the same time, every story is different and they do review the whole application so I encourage you to still apply if you think you're a good fit for the program.
3) The program is something like$25,000 or more with living expenses its around $50,000. There is no FAFSA or Pell grants for graduate school so you'll be paying for it either out of pocket, or with Grad Plus loans. Grad Plus loans for Drexel will give you enough for tuition, and $21,000/year for ALL living expenses-- food, rent, transportation. That's something I didn't know before coming into school-- I thought I could take out however much I needed, but you can only take up to whatever the med school deems "the cost of living."
4) Housing was kind of a pain, especially for me because I was definitely part of the economically disadvantaged bunch-- but if you start looking early and get good roommates and find the good deals you can end up with a nice location and nice price. If you plan on having a roommate plan on spending $600-$800 for rent if you live by Queen Lane (where the medical school is) or $900-$1500 in Center City where you take all of you classes for the DPMS year. If you want to live alone in Queen Lane plan to spend $700-$1000, and if you're alone in the City probably like $900-$1800. There are good deals out there for sure, some people are only paying like $500, you just have to research a lot. But trust me, they'll tell you not to worry about looking for places till the end of summer-- start looking the first week! Seriously! If you live by Queen Lane it's cheaper, but pretty isolated from grocery stores, restaurants, or anything fun. There is a shuttle that runs from Queen Lane to Center City like every 15 minutes or so, but I'd recommend having a car if you live in Queen Lane. The school has a website that helps you find apartments/houses in the area. I used Craigslist to finally find a place... as I said I'm a procrastinator.
5) The summer portion is really what you make it. It's a fantastic opportunity to get a head start and learn the material for the first 2 exams in the Fall for Biochem and Physio. Biochem is an 8 credit class and can easily make or break you so if you can get a head start on it and do well on the first few exams it will make your life a WHOLE LOT EASIER. But it's very hard to take the Summer portion seriously, because you'll be in the city with a lot of fun stuff to do and it'll be very nice outside. At the same time it's very important to get to know your fellow DPMSers and have a little fun before life hits you hard in August. It's very possible to do both, go to the required lectures in the mornings, maybe study for a couple hours in the afternoon and then just hang out and go do stuff with the other DPMSers for the rest of the day. Essentially the summer portion is the first semester's material crammed into 6 weeks. You see all the same material you will see in the semester, so it's an opportunity to try to develop study habits, study groups, and get a sense of how the semester will go. You are provided with dorms, all the guys will live on a floor and the ladies on another. THERE IS NO MEAL PLAN OR FOOD OF ANY KIND PROVIDED. I found that out the hard way. So be sure to bring stuff to cook with and any sort of kitchen essentials. I liked the summer for sure, it was super fun. It was great to relive the Freshmen days and have a good time in the dorms, except this time there are pretty much no rules :D (but remember always be responsible and professional).
6) I applied to many med and DO schools and didn't get interviews to anywhere. My stats were just too low. DPMS is actually the only postbac I applied to, it was kind of a thing where I was like-- "ok well, I've already been rejected by the whole world, what's one more rejection?" so I sent in the app basically the day it was due and somehow got in! But there are definitely other programs similar to this as I mentioned in #1. But if you look for other programs find the ones that have a direct linkage to the school and you're good to go.

But I love the people in my program so much, and this whole process is probably the most fun I've ever had. I still have to pass the MCAT and get the grades for this semester, but things are looking up. Hopefully I answered some of your questions. Feel free to ask whatever you need to.

Thanks for the info! Would you recommend getting a light side job in the summer to save up money and pay off future things like rent, food, gas, etc? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Well said by dragondoc2018. Also, the good thing about IMS is that you're not limited to drexel. You can apply to other medical schools during the program and keep your status updated as you progress. The postbac office makes it clear in your letter of standing that you are taking MEDICAL school courses-- so this really makes you stand out and shine. Essentially you can end up an a higher tier school of your choice (Duke, washington, and also in an ivy school- yale or harvard has accepted students from the program to name a few). On the downside, it doesn't have the conditional acceptance that dpms does, but few programs do have that. If that's what you want (& who doesn't) you should look into temple univ: http://www.temple.edu/medicine/ppp/ Not sure what your stats are on the mcat but check it out if you qualify and if you do I'd apply for this b/c it grants conditional acceptance as well. There's additional programs throughout the US that is similar to dpms & temple as well...just gotta dig for it but be quick b/c most deadlines are fast approaching.
On the bright side- you've just been told you're seen as strong on your academics.

Does this mean that the DPMS program is only limited to Drexel? Meaning, after completing the program, you are only allowed to matriculate into Drexel and cannot apply to other schools? Thanks!

Yes my understand is that you have a binding contract and must attend there and cannot apply elsewhere for that year. I'm still confused by the track I vs track II the website made it sound like everyone does track I and then if you don't get in you have a second year option to get an MS and then it showed track II info.. Now I'm seeing here that is not the case so I'm unclear.

From the online info session track I is if you didn't have an 8 PS, 8BS, and 7 Verbal, you go through an MCAT course and retake it by April I believe, but I think they said you could retake it before April. Track II is if you had that breakdown of score you take an Immunology course instead of the MCAT course. You are not able to apply to a certain track, they put you in one.

They have online info sessions where you can ask them questions which was helpful. I don't know if they have one before the application deadline but if you attend one of the sessions they waive the application fee.

@dragondoc @DragonDoc2018

Hello,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice regarding my situation. I have a cumulative I GPA of 3.47 and and SGPA of 3.1. I have taken the MCAT in 3 times already in the past (once in 2011 and twice in 2012):

Verbal Reasoning (VR) Physical Sciences (PS) Writing Sample (WS) Biological Sciences (BS) Total *
03 08 M 06 17M
05 05 O 07 17O
03 05 K 06 14K

I have unsuccessfully applied to medical school once in the past. I fit as a socially/economically disadvantaged minority applicant. I have a lot of extracurricular activities, job shadowing, volunteering, tutoring/mentoring and 8 letters of recommendations. But, my last MCAT score was under 20. Do I have a chance of at least receiving an interview? I am very passionate about medicine and have explored many career paths in life, but my heart is set on pursuing medicine. Do you have any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Hello, I was wondering if you happen to get into the program( fingers crossed and praying) if the computer requirements are the same as the med school

@annechoive

Hello, the application requires more additional essay portions than the AMCAS application, where they just ask for a personal statement.

@annechoive

Not sure what you mean by computer requirements-- are you talking about the laptop or "tech" requirements by the school? If so then no, a lap top would be handy and I would STRONGLY recommend getting one if you don't, but you can check out laptops and use desktop computers at the school any time.

@Kazam1

As mentioned earlier in the thread, there's really always a chance in DPMS. There are people in the program who got a 17 or less. You defintley won't get into a regular med school with a 17 though, so you'll need to do a program like DPMS or IMS if you don't think it's possible to get a better score. But yes, definitely apply!

has anybody had success applying as socioeconomic disadvantage?

i am not applying as URM. Just wondering if DPMS is entirely URM or they are some socioeconomic disadvantage students who have gone thru DPMS

@annechoive

Not sure what you mean by computer requirements-- are you talking about the laptop or "tech" requirements by the school? If so then no, a lap top would be handy and I would STRONGLY recommend getting one if you don't, but you can check out laptops and use desktop computers at the school any time.

@Kazam1

As mentioned earlier in the thread, there's really always a chance in DPMS. There are people in the program who got a 17 or less. You defintley won't get into a regular med school with a 17 though, so you'll need to do a program like DPMS or IMS if you don't think it's possible to get a better score. But yes, definitely apply!

I really don't know how true that is anymore, guys. I spoke to Ms. Managou today and she said the DPMS requirements are strict. If you don't meet them, the committee might really vote no on your application. Because of this, I've decided not to apply. Good luck to you guys.

You are welcome to believe what you want, I'm just sharing my experience. I know SEVERAL people in the program that did not meet one or more requirement. I don't think that the admissions office would really advertise that exceptions are made, because that's why they are exceptions. So it makes sense that they'd tell you that there are strict requirements because there are, but exceptions are definitely made and there is always a chance depending on your story and application.

I too called and was given conflicting info found on this board. Not even about exceptions just other things in general. Dissappointed at the misinformation

I agree with @DragonDoc2018 even though you don't exactly fit the criteria on the DPMS website, you should count yourself out. Besides the worse thing they could say is no. Just be optimistic

@badabadababa

I'd really like to hear what misinformation you're referring to? Feel free to post on here or message me about what you think is inaccurate with what myself or Draco said so we can address it, we're just here to help not mislead or confuse people. There is no misinformation on here, and any thing inaccurate will be because of new changes this year that I'm unaware of. Everything I've said is true for my year and my experience. Some people seem to have misinterpreted the whole exception thing and the MCAT thing, but I was only ever saying that it's not all set in stone and that if you think you're a good applicant to go ahead and apply.

Last edited:
@badabadababa

I'd really like to hear what misinformation you're referring to? Feel free to post on here or message me about what you think is inaccurate with what myself or Draco said so we can address it, we're just here to help not mislead or confuse people. There is no misinformation on here, and any thing inaccurate will be because of new changes this year that I'm unaware of. Everything I've said is true for my year and my experience. Some people seem to have misinterpreted the whole exception thing and the MCAT thing, but I was only ever saying that it's not all set in stone and that if you think you're a good applicant to go ahead and apply.

Agreed. Year to year there are differences and it's up to the DPMS committee to either bend their admission criteria or not. They will NOT advertise those exceptions to you outright b/c there are legality issues that play into it if they tell you prior to getting accepted/considered for the program. However, as has been mentioned, exceptions and bending of the criteria does occur to some extent. It was true for my class which I will say was not all URM but socioeconomic mix of 2 people.
SDN is not the rules and regulations for applying to dpms as we account them to you. If you feel like taking a chance to be considered, send in your app. If you don't want to take that chance then my rec to any of you out there is-- invest in some quality study time and retake your mcat to get a higher score- don't rush that test. Why does it matter so much- b/c unfortunately the deans and admissions has this that they keep referring to http://medical-mastermind-community...ts-med-school-academics-better-than-uGPAs.pdf Look at pg 915 top right paragraph...summed up, higher mcat means higher correlation w/ success. So work on getting that mcat up in all sections so you can truly say I just need your program to get my foot in the door. If you struggled in the past, taking medical level classes is not the right starting place especially with your future medical career riding on it all. Take your time and make sure you're competitive to begin with.... it will save you a lot of aggravation and stress.

Lastly- http://www.princeton.edu/hpa/post-bac-programs/2012PostbacPathsRecordEnhancers.pdf there are other avenues to get to be a doc. Take your time and do it right so you're not tripping along the way. When you get into these programs you should be ready to be a leader, a helper, and motivated to succeed because you know you will succeed without question.

Here for support and to give fb on your statements/interview questions. Good luck to everyone.

I'm not here to argue but it was frustrating that something is said in this threads and then something different when calling admissions. Every program makes exceptions and that is case by case basis and will differ from year to year so yes that cannot be advertise for a number of reasons. Having said that, a thread here on snd by same members participating this year claims that you can test out of classes if you get a certain grade but that you'd recommend against it because how important those classes are etc. During my call the person I spoke to was shocked that this would've been said and said that no matter the grade all classes must be retaken. Despite being told that there is financial aid and calling financial aid office for them to say is a non degree seeking program therefore no financial aid available. Then I tried verifying that it was a binding contract and having to go there if in the program and was told no that I could have an application to go elsewhere. Overall too much back and forth and discrepancies between this board, the website, and what admissions says on the phone.

I'm not here to argue but it was frustrating that something is said in this threads and then something different when calling admissions. Every program makes exceptions and that is case by case basis and will differ from year to year so yes that cannot be advertise for a number of reasons. Having said that, a thread here on snd by same members participating this year claims that you can test out of classes if you get a certain grade but that you'd recommend against it because how important those classes are etc. During my call the person I spoke to was shocked that this would've been said and said that no matter the grade all classes must be retaken. Despite being told that there is financial aid and calling financial aid office for them to say is a non degree seeking program therefore no financial aid available. Then I tried verifying that it was a binding contract and having to go there if in the program and was told no that I could have an application to go elsewhere. Overall too much back and forth and discrepancies between this board, the website, and what admissions says on the phone.

Well I'm sorry, but I have NO idea who you talked to.

If you get a B in Biochemistry, or Physiology you have the option to take the final and test out of them so you don't have to retake them your first year. This is 100% true. I have the email for both classes telling students what day the final is if they wish to test out. I can prove it with the emails if you really want. But I still say it's best to retake them, but you CAN test out of them.

If they literally claimed that there's no financial aid for DPMS, or ANY graduate program, that is completely absurd. First of all, on the DPMS application site it says there is financial aid. Second, how can a program for low income families that costs $50,000 not offer any financial aid? Does that really make sense? Every single person in the program got financial aid, I have my loan receipts if you need proof. We got Tuition paid and then $10,600 for living expenses each semester.

DPMS is a contract. Once you get into to DPMS, you MUST apply on AMCAS as early assurance to Drexel College of Medicine and cannot select any other schools. So you definitely cannot apply to any other schools during DPMS because your AMCAS application will only have Drexel as an option. It's impossible to apply elsewhere during DPMS. If you don't make it, or you do DPMS 2 and get your masters then of course you're allowed to apply other places.

Whatever that person told you is ridiculous and completely wrong, I can prove any of these things, and they simply don't make sense. I mean, no financial aid? Really?

I agree with @DragonDoc2018 even though you don't exactly fit the criteria on the DPMS website, you should count yourself out. Besides the worse thing they could say is no. Just be optimistic

Thanks. After sleeping on it, I think you're right. I'm gonna put my things together, submit, and see what happens. Hopefully everythign works out for all of us!!

That's exactly what I said to financial aid. But they claimed that bc it is non degree that's why. I believe you. I know how institutions work. Is dissapointing in general that it works a certain way and then you call and are told otherwise. That's why I came on to this thread to get the insiders perspective bc even before I joined in I had noticed the discrepancies. Let's make it a good day now :)

Loans are financial aid but no "I don't have to pay this back ever" financial aid so maybe when they think of financial aid they are thinking scholarships and grants not federal loans. Not sure just my old two cents.

Hey I was wondering if they also count engineering classes in math and science gpa. Asking because with it sgpa is a 2.82 while with engineering its a 3.1

Got my email from DPMS saying they got my app and needed my payment and math/science GPA form which is available online - FABULOUS :)
Just got done sending all that information, and now all I have pending is my MCAT scores which I took on 03/22/2014 in a testing center with no AC in MIAMI, FLORIDA - can you say COMPLAINT!!!. Hopefully my score will be enough to get me into DPMS which is nothing less than a godsend in my opinion. Hope everything is going well with everyone else.

Got my email from DPMS saying they got my app and needed my payment and math/science GPA form which is available online - FABULOUS :)
Just got done sending all that information, and now all I have pending is my MCAT scores which I took on 03/22/2014 in a testing center with no AC in MIAMI, FLORIDA - can you say COMPLAINT!!!. Hopefully my score will be enough to get me into DPMS which is nothing less than a godsend in my opinion. Hope everything is going well with everyone else.
Haha, someone from our current DPMS year took their test in the No AC MCAT in Miami on 3/22 also. Cool coincidence, though I heard it was pretty miserable.

I got a similar email as well. Did you calculate your grades using the forms that was part of the application? I did this and sent in with the rest of my app but found it odd that the email states thay I can enter my grades online....

I received a complete email on 3.28!

Grades can be submitted online with application payment.

@rayovac

I was all set to mail the money and the grade form, but once I got the confirmation email saying I could do it online I was over the moon. You just have to input the grades and the system does all the calculations for you :).

Hey all... its been a while. Had to get my life together after I started the thread. Officially submitted today. Waiting for those emails everyone's talking about. Good Luck all. Hopefully we can all be in the class motivating each other to MS1.

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone start getting interview invites or is it still too early?

Just to clarify, I received an email stating that they received my application. Will they email me again at another time letting me know that my application is complete? (ie all my transcripts/LOR are received)

Just to clarify, I received an email stating that they received my application. Will they email me again at another time letting me know that my application is complete? (ie all my transcripts/LOR are received)
Yes they'll update you until your app is complete

Got my email from DPMS saying they got my app and needed my payment and math/sceince GPA form which is available online - FABULOUS :)
Just got done sending all that information, and now all me have pending is my MCAT scores which me took on 03/22/2014 in a testing center with no AC in MIAMI, FLORIDA - can you say COMPLAINT!!!. Hopefully my score will be enough to get me into DPMS which is nothing less than a godsend in my opinion. Hope everything is going well with everyone else.
Yea miami in march w/o ac is brutal 37 more days here

The application calls for a ONE page personal statement. Does anyone know if one page single spaced is OK?

Kudos to all that are getting your applications done and completed. Interview invites typically go out mid-April (after the 2nd Thursday that they review completed apps- mcat/lor/etc sent in) when the med school committee reviews the applicants (they batch them thursdays from what i recalled) deemed appropriate by the dpms office.

Now is not the time to relax but to prep in case you get one of the invites...better to be prepared ahead of time than not. I've posted review questions that you should be familiar with in previous posts (2013-2014 section). The interview will be your chance to shine and convince them that you are the #1 draft they should be picking. If you want a mock interview PM me and we can practice over the phone. I can go over what some of the faculty are likely to ask and then the student 1:1 session which is really chill w/ previous dpms/post bac students. Most interviews are very cafe style, laid back...BUT, it does not mean they expect you to have less knowledge/exposure/reasoning/etc than a typical 'normal' medical applicant during the interview.

Program starts in the 3rd week of June- one of the current dpmsers can confirm this since I'm a bit removed from that far back :) and my head is full of step prep info.

Check my previous posts on interviewing and again, I'm up for helping anyone that wants the practice and advice. All the best to you all!

Reactions: 4 users
Kudos to all that are getting your applications done and completed. Interview invites typically go out mid-April (after the 2nd Thursday that they review completed apps- mcat/lor/etc sent in) when the med school committee reviews the applicants (they batch them thursdays from what i recalled) deemed appropriate by the dpms office.

Now is not the time to relax but to prep in case you get one of the invites...better to be prepared ahead of time than not. I've posted review questions that you should be familiar with in previous posts (2013-2014 section). The interview will be your chance to shine and convince them that you are the #1 draft they should be picking. If you want a mock interview PM me and we can practice over the phone. I can go over what some of the faculty are likely to ask and then the student 1:1 session which is really chill w/ previous dpms/post bac students. Most interviews are very cafe style, laid back...BUT, it does not mean they expect you to have less knowledge/exposure/reasoning/etc than a typical 'normal' medical applicant during the interview.

Program starts in the 3rd week of June- one of the current dpmsers can confirm this since I'm a bit removed from that far back :) and my head is full of step prep info.

Check my previous posts on interviewing and again, I'm up for helping anyone that wants the practice and advice. All the best to you all!
I will most definitely be taking advantage of this