Drexel DPMS 2015-1016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe the classes that would be taken over the summer were biostatistics, medical terminology, and critical thinking.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was on the same boat waiting to hear from the program. The DPMS office called and left a msg to discuss my application. Did anyone else get a phone call to discuss the details of their application? I thought everything was gonna be done via email or the portal. Just curious.

They called me as well! I am stressed that I missed the call but I havent heard anything from them until that. :-( I called back a few times and left one message. I hope that both of our calls are an allusion of something positive! Best of luck to everyone else as well!

Does anyone know of any other post bac programs that also have direct admittance like Drexel does? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know of any other post bac programs that also have direct admittance like Drexel does? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
There's MSU ABLE, Ohio State MEDPATH, and I think LECOM has one too. Also I heard AMSNY has one too

Thanks!
Most of the ones I know of have closed their applications. But for future reference, Tulane, Wake Forest, Georgetown, Temple.

Hey everyone.

I have a question-- does the DPMS prefer applicants who've already applied and failed? My intent was to apply for the regular medical school cycle for Fall 2016; however, I really want to work on my MCAT score and that would mean I can't apply this year and would have to wait until next year.

I've never applied before, but I heard through the grapevine that Drexel prefers those who have in a sense tried and failed.

^^Essentially, I don't want to sabotage my MCAT next month just to apply in time for this regular cycle if I could wait and adequately study to be ready for entry into the next cycle.

Most of the ones I know of have closed their applications. But for future reference, Tulane, Wake Forest, Georgetown, Temple.

Does Wake still have one? I thought they closed their direct admit program years ago.

Hey everyone.

I have a question-- does the DPMS prefer applicants who've already applied and failed? My intent was to apply for the regular medical school cycle for Fall 2016; however, I really want to work on my MCAT score and that would mean I can't apply this year and would have to wait until next year.

I've never applied before, but I heard through the grapevine that Drexel prefers those who have in a sense tried and failed.
That sounds incorrect. Who told you this? (just curious) At my interview no one applied before and one person was on Drexel's waitlist. We had lunch with the medical students who did dpms (about 7 of them) and non of them applied prior to doing the program.

Reactions: 1 user
@lafillemich the point of the DPMS program, this of course coming from my limited experience with the program and info from research and interview, is to give high-potential disadvantaged and URM students an opportunity at Medical school. That all being said potential is not simply measured by a collection of statistics but a collection of experiences, maturity, and motivation. Its not a matter of who tried and failed. The students in DPMS vary from the sub 20 MCAT to the 30+ from the sub 3.0 gpa to the 3.2+. Its about granting opportunity and filling a gap that is obvious in both health care and the medical admissions process. Try your very best in all that you do, try to beast on your mcat even if that means skipping out on your original plan. Everyone who applied to this program thought or hoped they were perfect for it, but the reality is that out of 650 applicants maybe 50 of us will make it all the way. Bet on yourself, don't play the odds with any school or program. good luck!

Reactions: 7 users
Is the last set of interviews on the 21st?
I would think so, that is the last date ive heard from anyone...and it doesn't seem like any new interviews have gone out as of late. if this is supposed to happen next week (crazy!) then the 21st would make sense.

Is the last set of interviews on the 21st?

Yep! During my interview we asked and Dr. Walker said the last ones are this week but there are 4 days of interviews this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep! During my interview we asked and Dr. Walker said the last ones are this week but there are 4 days of interviews this week.

hmmm so does this mean that if you have not heard anything so far ...you are just slow soon to be rejection :(

hmmm so does this mean that if you have not heard anything so far ...you are just slow soon to be rejection :(
maybe not, there may be a reason why you haven't received a rejection yet since it seems most who did not receive an II have by now... idk if maybe u should call and ask before the 21st, good luck!

:bang:I actually went ahead and asked today because I completed my application in March and heard nothing. They replied back with a rejection to dpms but acceptance to the ims program.

Hello! I have my interview in a few days and I'm completely clueless as to what to expect. Any tips?

Hello! I have my interview in a few days and I'm completely clueless as to what to expect. Any tips?

Be yourself, relax, know "Why medicine?" and "Why Drexel/this program?", review your application, and relax some more. It's a short day for most and there's no need to stress, really. Everyone's pretty nice :)

Reactions: 3 users
Be yourself, relax, know "Why medicine?" and "Why Drexel/this program?", review your application, and relax some more. It's a short day for most and there's no need to stress, really. Everyone's pretty nice :)
thank you so much! that makes me feel a ton better :)

:bang:I actually went ahead and asked today because I completed my application in March and heard nothing. They replied back with a rejection to dpms but acceptance to the ims program.

I know you wanted to be accepted into Dpms, but congrats on IMS program admittance. Taking nothing for granted, each of these post bacs are highly competitive and very selective.

:scared: :( Sorry to hear about this. Fortunately you have another program to consider! I suspect that an II isn't in the cards for me... so I have been constructing plans B, C, D. thankfully I got an II from Touro master program and waiting to hear back from some other DO master programs with linkages.. Otherwise just waiting for job interviews to get back to me.

But good luck with everything, no matter the path the end goal will happen! the dream job and serving others will come true :)

Is anyone still not able to see their application status on the banner or portal?? I am starting to think my app has never been reviewed despite confirmation via calling the admin office.:confused:
They told me my app was complete and that I am under review early weeks of may.. but noting online reflects this...

Is anyone still not able to see their application status on the banner or portal?? I am starting to think my app has never been reviewed despite confirmation via calling the admin office.:confused:
They told me my app was complete and that I am under review early weeks of may.. but noting online reflects this...
Dont go off of what's online. Go by what they tell/email you. Days after my interview I checked the banner/portal (just for kicks I guess) and it still said "incomplete application."lol If they say it is complete then roll with that and hope for the best.

Nothing special. You will have a 30min essay over ethics (I sucked on that I feel :( ), the interview itself is extremely laid back. Everyone came back saying how great theirs went. The questions vary. Some people were asked about grades or mcat but everyone had personal questions. Some people interviews last 10 mins and others can last over 30. This means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! The dumb thing is that everyone will be interviewed by a different falculty member which can suck for you if you just happen to get someone who's bias toward you. This happened to only one person in our group...poor guy. The students are nice, you will get to see the bodies in the anatomy lab, and tour the entire school. It will be a very stressless day overall lol. Goodluck.

Did you call or email them?

Nothing special. You will have a 30min essay over ethics (I sucked on that I feel :( ), the interview itself is extremely laid back. Everyone came back saying how great theirs went. The questions vary. Some people were asked about grades or mcat but everyone had personal questions. Some people interviews last 10 mins and others can last over 30. This means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! The dumb thing is that everyone will be interviewed by a different falculty member which can suck for you if you just happen to get someone who's bias toward you. This happened to only one person in our group...poor guy. The students are nice, you will get to see the bodies in the anatomy lab, and tour the entire school. It will be a very stressless day overall lol. Goodluck.
Thank you so much!!! This was super helpful, I've been freaking out for no reason :)

@naijapride and @DragonDoc2018, @Dracosrg ...out of curiosity and also acknowledging the fact that some of us who interviewed will be rejected (sad reality), do you guys or anyone else know if the students rejected from the DPMS after interviewing get offered any of the other postbacc programs as an alternative option? (based on SDN, it seems like many of those who were not invited to interview were offered other options)

I know one person from my interview who got into MSP afterwards other than that idk they do judge you for other programs at all stages.

Source: https://www.drexelmed.edu/Home/Acad...medSciencesProfStudies/BiologicalScience.aspx
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1432073293.686612.jpg

Not a terrible option for those who are offered admission to one of these programs. Just FYI! Good luck to everyone, my nerves are overwhelmingly high at times, I hope it works out for everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
How to relax after interview and awaiting final decision? :arghh::arghh:

Reactions: 9 users
One more day of interviews left! Thankfully, I've only gnawed off half my arm. Anyone else? :help: Lol.

Reactions: 4 users
One more day of interviews left! Thankfully, I've only gnawed off half my arm. Anyone else? :help: Lol.
Unfortunately, I'm finished with both of my arms and I'm on my leg now :O

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone thinks we're going to find out Friday the 29th or Monday June 1st? I'm leaning towards June 1st just so I wont lose all my sanity lol:boom:

Anyone thinks we're going to find out Friday the 29th or Monday June 1st? I'm leaning towards June 1st just so I wont lose all my sanity lol:boom:
I'm pretty sure we will know BY the 29th. I was told the 28th, but others that interviewed later, were told the 26th. So, I'm just hoping we will know before the 1st of June.

I'm pretty sure we will know BY the 29th. I was told the 28th, but others that interviewed later, were told the 26th. So, I'm just hoping we will know before the 1st of June.
Yea we were told the 29th however the med students said that it would be later because they didn't hear back on the day they were told they would.

Yea we were told the 29th however the med students said that it would be later because they didn't hear back on the day they were told they would.

I heard they were going to meet on the 29th which implies the decisions will be sent out after that.

I heard they were going to meet on the 29th which implies the decisions will be sent out after that.
Looking at last year's thread, they were notified before they were told. On my interview, I was told that they will meet on the 28th and decisions will be sent out right after that and we would know on the 28th or 29th. However, we don't really know when they will tell us. The last interview is tomorrow, so it could be any day after that and beyond. I, personally, have furniture, cats, a car and a whole lot of other possessions that I will have to move along with myself, as well as a lease I will have to give notice on, so I am hoping for sooner notification but also preparing for a late one.

I think it will be the 29th as well. I wonder if its less stress to have interviewed on the 21st of May as opposed to April like myself lol...good luck to everyone, I know how bad you guys want this because I feel the same way...the nervousness cant even be described right now.

I'm pretty sure Dr. Walker said they would meet on the 26th; she didn't seem like she meant that decisions would be sent out by the 26th. I feel like people will start getting emails about acceptances the 27th at the earliest. :)

I spoke to Dr. Walker yesterday and she confirmed that they are aiming for a decision by the 29th, but she emphasized "aiming". She also confirmed that although they interviewed more applicants this year that it doesn't mean the class size will increase. She said she expects at least 40 but that the med school committee will meet and put together the class and then give her the roster so she will know only a little before we do. I just don't get how they go through 140 applications in a single meeting? also do they start with the earlier interviews, I mean they gotta start somewhere. its all a mystery, Im just hoping to get an email that starts with the word "Congratulations" but I am comfortable with the fact that there is absolutely nothing I can do at this point except pray and chill out till next Friday.lol Thank god for a long weekend
:)

Last edited:
Haha I purposely put myself down to work extra days at my job next week to help pass the time. :)

How many different interviewers were there overall? 5? I wonder if each interviewer presents their top 8 people they interviewed or something lol.

5 interviewers with their top 8 = 40 People

How many different interviewers were there overall? 5? I wonder if each interviewer presents their top 8 people they interviewed or something lol.

5 interviewers with their top 8 = 40 People
interesting theory, who knows, maybe you're right. I think they literally go through everyone as a group and assign scores for each component of our app i.e. grades, mcat, extracurriculars, community service, personal statement, and interview, we get an overall score and the top 40 will get in.

In or out, I thank you all for sharing in this collective struggle that is trying to make it into medical school. I know everyone on here understands the stress and the pain that is trying to make it. I realize that each one of us has a different story and different paths, but we all share the same big goal. Im really pulling for everyone on here to make it somewhere and to achieve their dream.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Oh wow, that sounds way more standardized and fair! Did you hear about other schools doing it like this?

interesting theory, who knows, maybe you're right. I think they literally go through everyone as a group and assign scores for each component of our app i.e. grades, mcat, extracurriculars, community service, personal statement, and interview, we get an overall score and the top 40 will get in.

In or out, I thank you all for sharing in this collective struggle that is trying to make it into medical school. I know everyone on here understands the stress and the pain that is trying to make it. I realize that each one of us has a different story and different paths, but we all share the same big goal. Im really pulling for everyone on here to make it somewhere and to achieve their dream.

That sounds reasonable! I was thinking they go through apps each Thursday for all interviewees from the previous week. To me that would make it easier to get through them all.

I was thinking that they select a few students each Thursday, from the previous week of interviews, and at the end they go through the ones that have made it to the last step and select the acceptances. But honestly who knows lol

This is what Mrs. Walker said! They go by interview scores, as well as scores from the writing assignment. She also elaborated saying that sometimes it'll come down to the last few spots and they will have to make some tough decisions. Yikes! Makes me so nervous.