Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It does unfortunately. I chose to rank the pathways based on what would be a best fit for my learning style without any additional resources, just to be safe. Also they said it is possible to switch later on!

"possible" - not frequently done.

Pick according to your learning style. That is wise. Don't pick assuming that you can switch around willy nilly. If you don't like what you picked, tell them so as soon as possible. It is always easier to switch sooner than later.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what room the interviews are in at the Erie campus? I've never been there so I have no idea what I'm looking for once I get to the address.

No worries. They won't let you get lost. Show up, have ID to show to the security folks, and they will guide you through the rest of the day.

Are there any current students willing to explain more about the learning pathways? How are problem based and self directed different? Do you just not meet in groups for the self study? It seems like PBL is mostly learning on your own anyway. Can you still go to lectures if you choose one of the alternate paths? I'd like the option to go but don't want the anxiety of mandatory attendance. Do you feel the lectures are worth your time?

Lecture Discussion Pathway - very much like what most folks have been used to in undergrad. There are lectures. You go to them (mandatory attendance). You get powerpoints to study from, in addition to the textbooks that you are advised to read (some people do, some people don't. I think grades and understanding are better among folks who do. And I find it frustrating when people ask questions about minutia that was clearly explained in the text, if they had bothered to read it.) But really, the powerpoints and lectures are supposed to give you all the information that you need.

Problem Based Learning - A great mystery to me. They meet weekly, plus have to come to some lectures (OPP, H&P) and labs. Otherwise, they seem to mostly read the texts. They could go to lecture if they wanted, but seriously no one does that. They have only a couple of exams per semester, which are very high stakes. The people in this pathway seem to really like it. I can't speak much more to how it works, but maybe @ortnakas or another PBL person could pipe up with more details.

Directed Study Pathway (Primary Care Scholars Pathway uses this curriculum as well) - There are modules, which are lists of objectives that you are expected to understand. You have your texts, whatever outside resources you want to use, and (if you have some friends in LDP, maybe some powerpoints from their lectures.) You can go to lectures if you want, but again, no one really does this more than occasionally. You still have to be on campus frequently for lectures in H&P and OPP, and for various labs, so this is not a distance learning pathway. I spend most of my weekdays and occasional weekends in the library or the cafeteria. But I've also studied at Tim Horton's/Dunkin Donuts/Starbucks/Presque Isle/etc. Obviously, I think my pathway is the best. We do have more frequent quizzes and exams than PBL, but we aren't in lecture all day every day like LDP.

PAs (in the 3 year APAP pathway) can do any of these 3.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lecture Discussion Pathway - very much like what most folks have been used to in undergrad. There are lectures. You go to them (mandatory attendance). You get powerpoints to study from, in addition to the textbooks that you are advised to read (some people do, some people don't. I think grades and understanding are better among folks who do. And I find it frustrating when people ask questions about minutia that was clearly explained in the text, if they had bothered to read it.) But really, the powerpoints and lectures are supposed to give you all the information that you need.

Problem Based Learning - A great mystery to me. They meet weekly, plus have to come to some lectures (OPP, H&P) and labs. Otherwise, they seem to mostly read the texts. They could go to lecture if they wanted, but seriously no one does that. They have only a couple of exams per semester, which are very high stakes. The people in this pathway seem to really like it. I can't speak much more to how it works, but maybe @ortnakas or another PBL person could pipe up with more details.

Directed Study Pathway (Primary Care Scholars Pathway uses this curriculum as well) - There are modules, which are lists of objectives that you are expected to understand. You have your texts, whatever outside resources you want to use, and (if you have some friends in LDP, maybe some powerpoints from their lectures.) You can go to lectures if you want, but again, no one really does this more than occasionally. You still have to be on campus frequently for lectures in H&P and OPP, and for various labs, so this is not a distance learning pathway. I spend most of my weekdays and occasional weekends in the library or the cafeteria. But I've also studied at Tim Horton's/Dunkin Donuts/Starbucks/Presque Isle/etc. Obviously, I think my pathway is the best. We do have more frequent quizzes and exams than PBL, but we aren't in lecture all day every day like LDP.

PAs (in the 3 year APAP pathway) can do any of these 3.

Thanks for all the info! I picked PBL on my form today bc I had so much fun with my group in the interview, plus it said they have fewer spots than lecture. Would it be hard to change my mind and do LDP if I get accepted? I kind of want to see if I could sit in on a lecture and observe a PBL session. I loved the idea of self directed until I learned it doesn't match up with lectures and there aren't really any online resources. The idea of only 2-3 exams in PBL freaks me out but it also sounds like it will really prepare me for rotations/residency.

II today as well! Complete in late July sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for all the info! I picked PBL on my form today bc I had so much fun with my group in the interview, plus it said they have fewer spots than lecture. Would it be hard to change my mind and do LDP if I get accepted? I kind of want to see if I could sit in on a lecture and observe a PBL session. I loved the idea of self directed until I learned it doesn't match up with lectures and there aren't really any online resources. The idea of only 2-3 exams in PBL freaks me out but it also sounds like it will really prepare me for rotations/residency.

It is much easier to switch to LDP than from it, from what I've been given to understand.

"There aren't online resources." My tush there aren't. They aren't all school sponsored, but holy heck... there are some high quality learning resources available all over the internet. Most are free, some that have been particularly curated or developed for med students can be had at reasonable prices. I probably spent about $300 total on subscriptions to Sketchy Medical, Pathoma, Dr. Najeeb, and Boardsbeyond.com. I could have spent less, except that those were content creators that really helped me and I wanted to support them. But there is no lack of resources. The only thing that is hard to come by is TIME. Time to study, time to read, time to use those awesome resources.

With directed study and PBL, how you spend your time is much more up to you. That works for me. Yeah, it means I sometimes have to dig up answers to things myself rather than just having it presented to me in a powerpoint, but I am not lacking in resources, not in the slightest.

I get though, that you are probably saying that there isn't a lot of school produced online content. Even that isn't entirely true. They seem to be going more in that direction. We have podcasts, especially for micro. And they are partnering with Osmosis, which is, as far as I can see, the future of medical education. Seriously, it is an amazing learning coordination platform. I hated it the first time I used it, and then I realized how awesome it is and that I had just not been using it to its full potential.

There is no wrong pathway. Some people would really not thrive in a PBL or Directed Study setting. Some folks have the self awareness to know that they need someone to help them stay on task and that they don't want to play information scavenger hunt. LDP is a fine way to learn, and a lot of people actually seem to prefer it, which I think is a big reason that it is still such a large pathway. I think that it is one of the coolest things about LECOM, that they are innovative enough to have separate pathways set up to accommodate different learning styles. They could be just trying to shoe horn everyone into one way of doing things, but they really are trying to make there be enough options that everyone can find a way that works for them.

Reactions: 1 users
Do people that get an II at Bradenton typically get an II at Erie? I got at invite at Bradenton but my application still says under review for Erie. Anyone on the same boat?

Got the opposite. Have not heard anything from bradenton
Do people that get an II at Bradenton typically get an II at Erie? I got at invite at Bradenton but my application still says under review for Erie. Anyone on the same boat?

I got an II from Erie first, then an II from Bradenton a couple months later

Members don't see this ad :)

I got an II from Bradenton a couple weeks ago and got this one last Friday

thank you! I mean I got my license a year ago and my parents dont trust me enough to drive to another state -________-
i guess i'll fly one way and then take the amtrak coming back since i don't have to go to school anymore haha
I am doing the same, amtrak one way and flying back. Also interviewing the 30th! If you come in around the same time as me we can meet up if you like

II from Erie in June. Denied from Bradenton like a month ago.

Anyone interviewing on 9/23?

For anyone interviewing at Erie on 9/23, have you gotten any emails or additional information after you confirmed your interview date? I haven't heard anything, the interview is next week, and I haven't heard from the school to find out any addresses or times for anything.

For anyone interviewing at Erie on 9/23, have you gotten any emails or additional information after you confirmed your interview date? I haven't heard anything, the interview is next week, and I haven't heard from the school to find out any addresses or times for anything.

I'll be there and I believe that they said they send out confirmation emails a week out.

I haven't gotten anything yet either, but I think the poster above me is correct about the week before thing.

2 weeks until we hear back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as you can tell, I am excited lol

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone remember what the date was if you picked the later decision? Was it Nov 15th? Didn't they say you could call and change your mind? I'm nervous but I'm also broke.

Does anyone remember what the date was if you picked the later decision? Was it Nov 15th? Didn't they say you could call and change your mind? I'm nervous but I'm also broke.

Yes November 15th. They told us at my Bradenton interview that we could call them whenever and change our mind but if accepted the clock starts ticking for that deposit being due.

Has anyone received an II for APAP program at Erie/SH?

Last edited by a moderator:

Last edited:
I was complete 7/18.
Does this school do silent rejections or am I still in the running?

My Bradenton application application still says the 'application received and you will be notified...' status,

My Erie application status says 'under review' . Does this mean my file is not complete at Brandenton?

My Bradenton application application still says the 'application received and you will be notified...' status,

My Erie application status says 'under review' . Does this mean my file is not complete at Brandenton?

If you Brandenton says "you will be notified in 30 days", you are rejected from Brandenton and still under review from Erie

I think so. Mine was like that for three weeks bc I had fee assistance. I didn't know you had to contact them separately for a waiver even though the app went through. I would call and check.

If you Brandenton says "you will be notified in 30 days", you are rejected from Brandenton and still under review from Erie
This is what is says, 'We received your supplemental application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made.' Been saying that since July 29th.

I think so. Mine was like that for three weeks bc I had fee assistance. I didn't know you had to contact them separately for a waiver even though the app went through. I would call and check.
I paid the fee already, I am going to call them on Monday and see what's going on. Thanks for the suggestion though.

This is what is says, 'We received your supplemental application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made.' Been saying that since July 29th.
you're still in review at both locations then I guess lol

Completed secondary for Erie on 7/12 and Bradenton on 7/16, still no II. :(
Stats: Gpa 3.84 MCAT 495.

What are everyone's stats like for those who received II?

Should I be worried?

Completed secondary for Erie on 7/12 and Bradenton on 7/16, still no II. :(
Stats: Gpa 3.84 MCAT 495.

What are everyone's stats like for those who received II?

Should I be worried?

You need to retake your mcat fam

Reactions: 5 users
Any current student here want to comment on day to day schedule? How do you feel about dress code? Does this school have high board scores and does it match well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I interviewed at LECOM -Br they talked a lot about their board scores. For the past 9 years they've placed top 3 in the country. 4 or 5 of those years 1st place. 2 or 3 of which had 100% pass rate.

They match competitively from what I saw. Had people going into a handful of highly competitive specialties (anesthesiology, urology, radiology, etc.)

When I interviewed at LECOM -Br they talked a lot about their board scores. For the past 9 years they've placed top 3 in the country. 4 or 5 of those years 1st place. 2 or 3 of which had 100% pass rate.

They match competitively from what I saw. Had people going into a handful of highly competitive specialties (anesthesiology, urology, radiology, etc.)

However, I heard that 20% of the recent graduating class did not pass Step 2 on their first attempt (only the Bradenton campus). I'm not 100% sure and don't know anymore about this. Maybe someone else with more knowledge on this issue can comment on this

Complete 7/14 with Lizzy M ~ 62. And no II. I put Seton Hill as my preference. Hoping for some love soon :(

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if we can still be considered for Seton Hill if we interview at Erie? After interviewing at Bradenton, I really want to pursue PBL, but I didn't know much about it until I saw it firsthand.

Does anyone know if we can still be considered for Seton Hill if we interview at Erie? After interviewing at Bradenton, I really want to pursue PBL, but I didn't know much about it until I saw it firsthand.
you write down your preference of pathways and SH is an option

My son had a recent interview at LECOM in Erie and thought it sounded good. This is his 2nd round of trying to get into med school. He graduated from Cornell last year with a 3.45 cum...got a 35 (515) on his mcat and has a ton of ec's. He went for early decision so we should find out soon I guess. He currently is shadowing doctors...doing volunteer work at a hospital 3 days a week. Not sure what his chances are at Lecom...just hoping he gets in.

My son had a recent interview at LECOM in Erie and thought it sounded good. This is his 2nd round of trying to get into med school. He graduated from Cornell last year with a 3.45 cum...got a 35 (515) on his mcat and has a ton of ec's. He went for early decision so we should find out soon I guess. He currently is shadowing doctors...doing volunteer work at a hospital 3 days a week. Not sure what his chances are at Lecom...just hoping he gets in.

With those stats and ecs he should get in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I paid the fee already, I am going to call them on Monday and see what's going on. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Mine has been saying the same thing for Bradenton campus as well for weeks. Did you find out anything when you called?

How long does it take to get a secondary? I was complete last week.