Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Everyone,
I have a quick question... I submitted my secondary application about a month ago and I was randomly checking my status today and I saw that for the Setton Hill campus it said I was invited for an interview and will be contacted via email... does anyone know how long it takes to receive the email? Also, I checked my status for the Erie campus and it says "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 10 days." Does that mean i was rejected for that campus?

No it doesn't mean you were rejected. My status was switched to that as well and I received my acceptance letter a few days later!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I was wondering whether it is too late to apply. I'm a PA resident and didn't apply here when I submitted to other schools and I wish I did. I was thinking about adding, i just don't want it to be a waste of money at this point. Stats: GPA is good, experience good, LORs are great, MCAT not that great.

No it doesn't mean you were rejected. My status was switched to that as well and I received my acceptance letter a few days later!
But I didn't interview yet so how can a final decision be made without interview unless it's a rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually they enter it in on the Monday of the interview week. That is the consensus I have seen so far. Hope you have a good thanksgiving!
I received an interview invite a couple of weeks ago and they updated my portal with everything this Monday. My interview is in late December

I guess I'll just have no expectations. That way, if I don't get an ii, I won't be disappointed, and if I do, I'll be pleasantly surprised ;)
Thanks for the replies!

I agree with UCGpremed. But those were some old posts, so I was wondering if anyone had updated info. I have a MAC and I am going to end up buying an inexpensive PC just in case. Just to be safe
You can partition your HD to run Mac OS and Windows if you need to.

Hey everyone, I was wondering whether it is too late to apply. I'm a PA resident and didn't apply here when I submitted to other schools and I wish I did. I was thinking about adding, i just don't want it to be a waste of money at this point. Stats: GPA is good, experience good, LORs are great, MCAT not that great.

I say go for it. Good stats means its never too late. I have 3 friends that applied in Dec. Last year that are all in school at LECOM today. Good luck.

You can partition your HD to run Mac OS and Windows if you need to.
That's what I'll probably do! Just don't want to have LECOM's administration annoyed with me... there doesn't seem to be an Apple Store nearby, just a Best Buy so like someone else mentioned that might be why.

That's what I'll probably do! Just don't want to have LECOM's administration annoyed with me... there doesn't seem to be an Apple Store nearby, just a Best Buy so like someone else mentioned that might be why.

What's been said is still correct. I'm a current student at Bradenton. It doesn't mean you can't have a Mac, I'd say over half the class has them, it just means if something goes wrong IT may not be able to help.

Anyone who interviewed at LECOM- Seton Hill on November 19th heard back anything yet?

Thanks for sharing that, I was also waitlisted and was debating whether I should call or not. I'm also curious what other people's opinion on sending a letter of intent, although from what you explained I don't think its really even necessary. According to you, the admissions person said that being on the waitlist means they like us but they just don't have the seats, and the waitlist isn't rank ordered, it's rolling. From my understanding an unranked (rolling) waitlist means our movement off the waitlist is solely dictated by our physical position on the waitlist (i.e. those who were put on the waitlist back in October will move off the waitlist before those who were put on the waitlist in November)..at least that's my understanding of it. Can anyone shed light on this?

I called the admissions office a couple of weeks ago and the lady I spoke with said that they don't start pulling off the waitlist until the spring. I'm really confused. Can someone help me out?

Does anyone know if LECOM is notorious for long delays in admissions decisions? My secondary was completely finished and submitted on July 8th and my status on the admissions page has been sitting at "Application is Under Review" since the beginning of August. I'm an in-state applicant (right outside of Pittsburgh) and have a petty well-rounded application (3.5 / 3.4 / 30 from a top 20 university + many clinical hours and two years of research). I know anything can happen in the admissions cycle, but I was kind of thinking LECOM would be a "safe school" even though I know those don't exist. I originally had LECOM in my top 3 choices for the fact that I want to do a residency of some sort in the western PA area after graduation. The fact that it's been this long since I've heard anything is getting me kind of worried now. I've interviewed at a number of osteopathic and allopathic schools and been accepted at PCOM and Marian to this point. Is this sort of wait normal for LECOM? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know if LECOM is notorious for long delays in admissions decisions? My secondary was completely finished and submitted on July 8th and my status on the admissions page has been sitting at "Application is Under Review" since the beginning of August. I'm an in-state applicant (right outside of Pittsburgh) and have a petty well-rounded application (3.5 / 3.4 / 30 from a top 20 university + many clinical hours and two years of research). I know anything can happen in the admissions cycle, but I was kind of thinking LECOM would be a "safe school" even though I know those don't exist. I originally had LECOM in my top 3 choices for the fact that I want to do a residency of some sort in the western PA area after graduation. The fact that it's been this long since I've heard anything is getting me kind of worried now. I've interviewed at a number of osteopathic and allopathic schools and been accepted at PCOM and Marian to this point. Is this sort of wait normal for LECOM? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

To be honest... this is normal for any school/any applicant. Every school has certain type/interested students that they are looking to invite. Some schools invite students based on the highest stats first... some schools invite students based on their specific interests/experiences in their personal statement and activities. Right now, especially for DO schools, they might be holding back because they are waiting to see how many seats will be claimed after the first deadline of deposits.

So, my point is, it's still a little bit early to be worry at this point. Looking at how many schools you have been accepted to, it seems like you are a strong candidate. :)

Reactions: 1 users
To be honest... this is normal for any school/any applicant. Every school has certain type/interested students that they are looking to invite. Some schools invite students based on the highest stats first... some schools invite students based on their specific interests/experiences in their personal statement and activities. Right now, especially for DO schools, they might be holding back because they are waiting to see how many seats will be claimed after the first deadline of deposits.

So, my point is, it's still a little bit early to be worry at this point. Looking at how many schools you have been accepted to, it seems like you are a strong candidate. :)

Seems logical enough. I hope you are right. Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know whether the textbooks will be electronic? I'm debating about whether I should get an ipad.

How long does it take from the time the portal changes saying that a decision has been reached until you get the decision in the mail?

How long does it take from the time the portal changes saying that a decision has been reached until you get the decision in the mail?
I got my letter about a week after that.

Does anyone know whether the textbooks will be electronic? I'm debating about whether I should get an ipad.
Yes, we were told they used only eBooks. Obviously you can get paper ones from a 3rd party but they are more expensive.

I remember at the information session that the price for the e-books are part of the cost you are paying for the school. So you pretty much are mandated to pay for that regardless of whether you want e-books or not. I heard that they switched over to e-books fully for the first time for the first years.

http://lecom.edu/financial-aid.php/...-College-of-Medicine-in-Erie/49/2205/621/2465

Any current students that comment on the pros and cons of the different pathways?
Lecture Discussion Pathway, Problem-Based Learning Pathway, Independent Study Pathway and Primary Care Scholars Pathway.

Thanks in advance!

Any current students that comment on the pros and cons of the different pathways?
Lecture Discussion Pathway, Problem-Based Learning Pathway, Independent Study Pathway and Primary Care Scholars Pathway.

Thanks in advance!
It really depends on your learning style. I personally prefer being guided by a lecture and then having smaller study groups in LDP. If you are great with time management, learn better at your own pace, or with hands on or real life examples, then DSP or PBL could be for you. However, I did hear that PBL students, at least at Seton Hill, use a gross anatomy simulator instead of an actual cadaver. May be a downside for you.

Last edited:
It really depends on your learning style. I personally prefer being guided by a lecture and then having smaller study groups in LDP. If you are great with time management, learn better at your own pace, or in hands on or real life examples, then DSP or PBL could be for you. However, I did hear that PBL students, at least at Seton Hill, use a gross anatomy simulator instead of an actual cadaver. Maybe be a downside for you.

Great point. As I understand it, those in the PBL pathway (in Erie) have the ability to study in the anatomy lab if they wish but they are taught using the computerized anatomy. Something that you would not have at Seton Hill unfortunately. I have taken gross anatomy in the past and I can't imagine studying without being able to explore a cadaver. Most of my learning took place putting in lots of "after hours" in the lab.

It really depends on your learning style. I personally prefer being guided by a lecture and then having smaller study groups in LDP. If you are great with time management, learn better at your own pace, or with hands on or real life examples, then DSP or PBL could be for you. However, I did hear that PBL students, at least at Seton Hill, use a gross anatomy simulator instead of an actual cadaver. May be a downside for you.
Great point. As I understand it, those in the PBL pathway (in Erie) have the ability to study in the anatomy lab if they wish but they are taught using the computerized anatomy. Something that you would not have at Seton Hill unfortunately. I have taken gross anatomy in the past and I can't imagine studying without being able to explore a cadaver. Most of my learning took place putting in lots of "after hours" in the lab.
Thanks for your responses. I'm leaning towards LDP because I feel that I learn better when led by a professor. With the other two, are there no class settings at all, how does it work exactly?
Also in regards to Primary Care Scholars Pathway, is it just all the material condensed into 4 years, or are the number of elective rotations cut down. Also does that pathway only lead to family medicine, or is pediatrics an option as well?

I asked this in another thread, but if we retook the MCAT are we REQUIRED to update our app with the retake score?

Last edited:
I asked this in another thread, but if we retook the MCAT and didn't do better, but the school still has our original score, are we REQUIRED to update our app with the retake score? If so, how do we update LECOM? Also, where did you learn that it's required to report this info?

I put the retake date on my AACOMAS and submitted the secondary long ago (before 2nd score was back).

Maybe just call from a phone that isn't your application number and don't use your name haha.

Also in regards to Primary Care Scholars Pathway, is it just all the material condensed into 4 years, or are the number of elective rotations cut down. Also does that pathway only lead to family medicine, or is pediatrics an option as well?
All pathways start out with lecture style classes for the first few weeks. (12-16?), then the non lecture pathways split off.

PBL - meet with your group several days per week for a short session. Also OMM Lab and probably some other on campus activities.
DSP/PCSP - Mostly independent study, but meet on campus for OMM lab, exams, meetings with faculty, etc.

PCSP - No time off between 1st & 2nd year = 20 straight months of didactic learning, equivalent to the full 1st & 2nd year of other pathways. Then, 16 months of clinical rotations. Just the core rotations, leaving off the 8 electives that would be used to explore various specialties or to do audition rotations. Trimming off the vacation time and the 8 clinical rotations is worth it to me to be done 1 year quicker, given the specifics of my life. I am absolutely committed to primary care, probably FM, and I have a lot of prior clinical experience. So, I think I understand what I am getting into and I don't think I am likely to want to change my mind later on and go into a competitive specialty, only to find the PCSP route limiting.

All pathways start out with lecture style classes for the first few weeks. (12-16?), then the non lecture pathways split off.

PBL - meet with your group several days per week for a short session. Also OMM Lab and probably some other on campus activities.
DSP/PCSP - Mostly independent study, but meet on campus for OMM lab, exams, meetings with faculty, etc.

PCSP - No time off between 1st & 2nd year = 20 straight months of didactic learning, equivalent to the full 1st & 2nd year of other pathways. Then, 16 months of clinical rotations. Just the core rotations, leaving off the 8 electives that would be used to explore various specialties or to do audition rotations. Trimming off the vacation time and the 8 clinical rotations is worth it to me to be done 1 year quicker, given the specifics of my life. I am absolutely committed to primary care, probably FM, and I have a lot of prior clinical experience. So, I think I understand what I am getting into and I don't think I am likely to want to change my mind later on and go into a competitive specialty, only to find the PCSP route limiting.
Thank you very much for explaining them to me, I truly appreciate it. I take it then that the LDP would continue on with lectures while the other pathways break off?

Does anyone know about how long it takes after you interview to get the status to change from in progress to a decision has been made. I thought they said they decide that Wednesday after you interview, but it has been a few weeks and it still has not changed. I could have heard wrong, but curious if anyone could confirm that. Also, I checked if all of my stuff was in, LOR and MCAT, and they are so that should not be the reason for any delay. Thanks!

Thank you very much for explaining them to me, I truly appreciate it. I take it then that the LDP would continue on with lectures while the other pathways break off?
Yup, with an exam after every section, approximately every week I think.

Does anyone know about how long it takes after you interview to get the status to change from in progress to a decision has been made. I thought they said they decide that Wednesday after you interview, but it has been a few weeks and it still has not changed. I could have heard wrong, but curious if anyone could confirm that. Also, I checked if all of my stuff was in, LOR and MCAT, and they are so that should not be the reason for any delay. Thanks!
I did not get a status change til 3.5 weeks after interview. Then, I got a letter a week later. They are in the thick of decision making so be patient :)

Does anybody know much about the alternate list? Do they take a lot of students from the list and is the movement from the alternate list late in the cycle?

I saw!!!! So excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I NEED MORE !!!! BECAUSE I LOVE MY HOMECITY!!!!)

My understanding is that UPMC was asking LECOM to pay $3000 per student per month as a kind of rent for using their sites. In other words, LECOM was being asked for more than they even charge in tuition. I saw it as an economic attack launched because LECOM is almost 20k per year cheaper than Pitt.

That was very irritating to me, and basically looked like one more nasty tactic from an organization that has earned my disrespect. I am so delighted that their competitor hospital system is more reasonable. Even if I don't rotate in Pittsburgh, it is wonderful that Allegheny Health Network is providing that as an option.

My understanding is that UPMC was asking LECOM to pay $3000 per student per month as a kind of rent for using their sites. In other words, LECOM was being asked for more than they even charge in tuition. I saw it as an economic attack launched because LECOM is almost 20k per year cheaper than Pitt.

That was very irritating to me, and basically looked like one more nasty tactic from an organization that has earned my disrespect. I am so delighted that their competitor hospital system is more reasonable. Even if I don't rotate in Pittsburgh, it is wonderful that Allegheny Health Network is providing that as an option.
It's UPMC. I wouldn't expect any differently. I have a long-standing disdain for that organization. AHN respects total patient care and puts its money where its mouth is.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm repeating myself here, but I received "The Admissions Committee has not made a decision on your file. We will notify you as soon as a decision has been made." on my status here. Does LECOM do silent rejections, should I hear a yay or nay in the next couple of weeks, or could it say this for awhile? I'm still waiting for an ii.

To my knowledge, they don't do silent rejections. They seem very comfortable rejecting people when they decide not to admit them.

It can take a while. I remember a prolonged period of desperate angst as I awaited a change to that portal status. And the subsequent ones.

They will be interviewing for awhile yet, so try not to worry too much.

Reactions: 1 users
The group was posed 2 questions, the first an introduction and then a question in my case about the school. Each person answered. Then, the interviewers selected questions for each person to answer individually, and then if somebody else got asked a question you had a good answer to you could answer that afterwards. Then, they posed an ethical question to the group as a discussion. Lastly, we were able to ask our interviewer questions (they really helped clarify pathways)!

Hi, I was going through the thread looking for more info about the group interview style, I was wondering what types of things people said in their intro. Just basic, or do you go into more detail?
If anyone else who interviewed could onto that as well, that'd be great.

Hi, I was going through the thread looking for more info about the group interview style, I was wondering what types of things people said in their intro. Just basic, or do you go into more detail?
Just the usual... where you're from, school you went to, Why DO, Why LECOM, etc. LECOM was/is my top choice because of their mission (although this is usually the case for DO). My personal and professional goals include in total patient care, preventative medicine, and a focus on the balance and wellness of the mind, body and spirit.

They also asked to say something interesting about yourself. Mine was that I play 4 musical instruments (piano, violin, viola, classical clarinet) and I'm a trained mezzo soprano opera singer.

Does anybody know much about the alternate list? Do they take a lot of students from the list and is the movement from the alternate list late in the cycle?

When I spoke to the admissions office they said that movement off of the alternative list before Spring was doubtful. They really are not giving out much more information than that.

anyone from the October 31st interview date or later heard any news? I was under the impression we would hear sometime in mid November

anyone from the October 31st interview date or later heard any news? I was under the impression we would hear sometime in mid November
The earliest was mid-November. Could really be any time but everyone's timelines seem to be rather different.

My intro was describing your clinical experiences!

anyone interviewing tomorrow and worried about the snow? im supposed to land in erie around 10. anyone know if the airport gets closed easily?

II today! Interviewing on 01/16 but I am very nervous about traveling with the snow. My entire extended family lives in Erie and I know it can be pretty terrible!

For all of those waiting for an interview the earliest date they had available was 01/15 and then pretty much every Thursday and Friday was open after that until the end of the cycle.

Thanks!

Also, did anyone have a two on one interview after the group interview. I heard from someone that they do individual interviews after the group interview.
No individual interviews, I wish... if I go here it'll be something I would take on to change with the administration! The individual portion that some of us mentioned is when the interviewers focus on one person and ask them a question only, instead of posing it to the group.