Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone. I have an interview January 9th, do you think there is a purpose to interviewing here this late? This is a rescheduled interview from late november. Any advice? I don't want to waste money and time driving down there if there is a low chance of acceptance to here.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I have an interview January 9th, do you think there is a purpose to interviewing here this late? This is a rescheduled interview from late november. Any advice? I don't want to waste money and time driving down there if there is a low chance of acceptance to here.

If you would like to go to LECOM in Erie/SH I would certainly take the interview. I had several friends that interviewed fairly late last year that are all sitting in LECOM campuses this year.

If you would like to go to LECOM in Erie/SH I would certainly take the interview. I had several friends that interviewed fairly late last year that are all sitting in LECOM campuses this year.

The thing is I don't necessarily have a reason to why I want to go to LECOM ERIE other than it is a med school and that it is cheaper than all of the other medical schools. I haven't heard great things from this school and have read multiple pros and cons about this school, but I would like to see it for myself when/if I go interview.

I have already been accepted to another school and paid the initial deposit. I just don't want to waste time and money and going to PA ( im from MA so 8 hour drive), end up liking the school, and realize the chance of getting accepted is low.

For people that interviewed, quick thoughts on what they like and didn't like about the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I've been complete at LECOM-Erie (all items in folder marked complete) since 10/09. I haven't heard anything... should I take this as a silent reject? Or is it worth giving them a call?

Hi all, I've been complete at LECOM-Erie (all items in folder marked complete) since 10/09. I haven't heard anything... should I take this as a silent reject? Or is it worth giving them a call?
+1 except since Sept! I will be withdrawing my application!

The thing is I don't necessarily have a reason to why I want to go to LECOM ERIE other than it is a med school and that it is cheaper than all of the other medical schools. I haven't heard great things from this school and have read multiple pros and cons about this school, but I would like to see it for myself when/if I go interview.

I have already been accepted to another school and paid the initial deposit. I just don't want to waste time and money and going to PA ( im from MA so 8 hour drive), end up liking the school, and realize the chance of getting accepted is low.

For people that interviewed, quick thoughts on what they like and didn't like about the school?

All medical schools are going to have pros and cons. Members and friends of my family are physicians and each one had pros and cons of the medical schools they attended. My father is a graduate of another osteopathic Medical school and his heart will always be tied to that medical school but he also had great things to say about Erie! (He also teaches at an allopathic medical school.) My advice to you..........forgo the trip, expense etc. and never look back. I am thinking you are from the area where you were accepted. I think your mind frame is with that school. Stick with it. On a side note, if you compare the first two years of Medical School, basically all Osteopath schools have the same curriculum. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users

Well, it sounds like you've already made up your mind! My pros were availability of learning pathways to suit your style, highly structured option which I am in (ldp), board pass rates, affiliation with Pittsburgh area hospitals, wellness center, availability of job for my husband, affordable living, excellent faculty support (from current and past students), etc.

Reactions: 2 users
All medical schools are going to have pros and cons. Members and friends of my family are physicians and each one had pros and cons of the medical schools they attended. My father is a graduate of another osteopathic Medical school and his heart will always be tied to that medical school but he also had great things to say about Erie! (He also teaches at an allopathic medical school.) My advice to you..........forgo the trip, expense etc. and never look back. I am thinking you are from the area where you were accepted. I think your mind frame is with that school. Stick with it. On a side note, if you compare the first two years of Medical School, basically all Osteopath schools have the same curriculum. Good luck to you!

Well, it sounds like you've already made up your mind! My pros were availability of learning pathways to suit your style, highly structured option which I am in (ldp), board pass rates, affiliation with Pittsburgh area hospitals, wellness center, availability of job for my husband, affordable living, excellent faculty support (from current and past students), etc.

Thanks guys and/or girls for your responses. The pathway that I would have chosen is similar to the style of teaching at UNECOM, the school I got into. I feel like all other things that Deejaymd mentioned other then husband and pittsburgh hospitals seem similar. In my opinion if they are similar than why not go for a school thats 20k cheaper. Thanks everyone for their responses.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 12/12. Was a group interview, impossible to gauge how it went, although I felt above average I guess? I really liked the school and faculty that I met.

Result: "Alternate list". Really disappointing. Hurts pretty bad. I wanted to matriculate here.

Good luck everyone.
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm curious how it's going to go for me. I felt the same way...

Thanks guys and/or girls for your responses. The pathway that I would have chosen is similar to the style of teaching at UNECOM, the school I got into. I feel like all other things that Deejaymd mentioned other then husband and pittsburgh hospitals seem similar. In my opinion if they are similar than why not go for a school thats 20k cheaper. Thanks everyone for their responses.
Yes, definitely. If you feel they are about the same, then go for the cheaper one! haha

Interviewed 12/12. Was a group interview, impossible to gauge how it went, although I felt above average I guess? I really liked the school and faculty that I met.

Result: "Alternate list". Really disappointing. Hurts pretty bad. I wanted to matriculate here.

Good luck everyone.
Keep your head up, the alternate list moves!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep your head up, the alternate list moves!!

Was going to say the same thing, but you just beat me to it!

Alternate list here is not a terrible place to be. That list will churn a fair bit. Follow up on other opportunities, but don't count yourself out just yet!

Was anyone else given less than 30 days to pay the deposit? I interviewed 12/5 and was told I would have 30 days, but my acceptance only gave me 2.5 weeks

Was anyone else given less than 30 days to pay the deposit? I interviewed 12/5 and was told I would have 30 days, but my acceptance only gave me 2.5 weeks
It is 30 days from the date the letter was written for me. I received mine Nov 14 but the decision was made Nov 6 so the letter was dated as such. I had til dec. 6. Not sure if it was the same for you though.

Also, anyone else notice every I t I s is changed to tis and every w a s is twas? Hahaha merry xmas, sdn!

Also, anyone else notice every I t I s is changed to tis and every w a s is twas? Hahaha merry xmas, sdn!

Yes! I honestly thought I was going crazy for a minute, or thought I completely missed a new trend or something...

S1IctQMl.jpg

My mom is so cute and got my husband and I LECOM shirts for Christmas. Merry Christmas to all! If you don't celebrate Christmas, have a wonderful December 25! :D

Reactions: 9 users

I was given 30 days to cough up 1500 dollars. call admissions. Send it certified receipt if accepting to cover all of your bases to make sure they get it. Maybe they are giving you 2.5 weeks to wrap it all up as quickly as possible? I think interviews will go into March, some colleges then interview their MBS students if they have the program to fill up the remaining seats. Then the fun begins............movement all over the place. Sometime the dust does not settle until the day before classes begin! They want EVERY seat filled. Some applicants who accepted early will get their first choice, another choice etc and therefore cancel. That is when the alternate lists will be considered.

Just wanted to make sure, we don't need to bring anything specific to the interview do we? I noticed that some other schools have required applicants to bring proof of citizenship (birth certificate/passport). Is this required at the interview? I haven't seen any documentation indicating. Thanks!

Just wanted to make sure, we don't need to bring anything specific to the interview do we? I noticed that some other schools have required applicants to bring proof of citizenship (birth certificate/passport). Is this required at the interview? I haven't seen any documentation indicating. Thanks!
Bring an ID so you can get in the building. That's pretty much it. :)

Congrats to our new classmates accepted today (even through you're lame and didn't post to SDN)!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Do they inform already accepted students when more students are accepted?

Nope. Once you are accepted and pay the deposit, you hear nothing else from them for a while. I expect we will be hearing something soon, as financial aid season is upon us in the next few weeks.

In! As of yesterday - still waiting on 28 schools (I know, I'm crazy) to make a decision one way or another, but this may be my future here and I'm so excited to have crossed the finish line! Dreams are being realized here!

Reactions: 5 users
I was just referring to Stickshifthonda's post congratulating newly accepted applicants. I guess he just made a safe assumption that more students had been accepted by friday.

I know a girl who got in on Friday, that's why I posted. She doesn't use SDN though.

Good luck everyone.
The Alternate list could move in March. Good luck to you!

How long does it take for the items list to be marked received?

I was complete 10/27 and there is a red X beside everything.

How long does it take for the items list to be marked complete?

I was complete a few of days after you were (about 11/2) and was offered an interview on 12/2. I do remember the portal taking a few days longer to actually mark my items as complete though.

I was complete a few of days after you were (about 11/2) and was offered an interview on 12/2. I do remember the portal taking a few days longer to actually mark my items as complete though.

Do you mind sharing your stats? I'm curious why I haven't heard anything!

It doesn't show up until you are invited for an interview and even then, it'll be marked received the week of your interview.

I was complete in early October. Everything was marked complete around Thanksgiving for me. Haven't received an interview invite though, so I don't think it means much.

I was complete in early October. Everything was marked complete around Thanksgiving for me. Haven't received an interview invite though, so I don't think it means much.
Ah, I was just reporting what was consistent for the people who interviewed in Sept/Oct. I think we all had it complete the week of the interview. Who knows what they are doing now! haha

Apparently, the committee has already made a decision on my admission status and it has only been 11 days since I interviewed...is that bad or good? lol. Anyone else have that happen? Thanks

Apparently, the committee has already made a decision on my admission status and it has only been 11 days since I interviewed...is that bad or good? lol. Anyone else have that happen? Thanks
I interviewed the same day and I don't have anything yet. Mine still says thank you for interviewing. Good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess that means immediate rejection or immediate acceptance lol. Do you have all your stuff in?
I think so? They received my letters and everything before. I'm not sure though. Is there a way to check?

It seems to be super random based on what others have reported. My decision was 2 weeks after being complete. I interviewed and my DO letter wasn't submitted til about 5 days later. 2 weeks after that, I got a portal change/decision.

Those who are matriculating to date............check your emails for important information regarding forms, financial aid packages etc. due by April! The time is getting closer! For those who are still in the process of interviewing etc., your time will come! A lot of movement is going to happen at each school before April.