Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Couple of questions:
1) How much should I expect to pay per month (including utilities) for a small one room apartment near the school?
2) I preferably like buying my meat (grass-fed) from a local farmer. Are there any farmers that deliver to a central spot near the school or do students typically buy their meat from stores?

Members don't see this ad.

Couple of questions:
1) How much should I expect to pay per month (including utilities) for a small one room apartment near the school?
2) I preferably like buying my meat (grass-fed) from a local farmer. Are there any farmers that deliver to a central spot near the school or do students typically buy their meat from stores?
Rent is like 500-600 a month

Couple of questions:
For #2, a Google search provides the following result: http://www.eatwild.com/products/tennessee.html

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Couple of questions:
1) With utilities you're probably looking at $650. Check out dcomdo.com There are listings up there.
2) yeah. I would say most people get their meat from a store. I just interviewed here but it was very similar to my town. If you want the grass fed local meat you'll be able to find it, just most likely at high prices and they're not going to deliver it.

Hey does anyone know if a MacBook will work for what the school needs for tests and stuff?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm pretty happy. I resent my update letter/loi and I got a response. Ms Martin being the wonderful person she is, gave me more details than I gave her, lol. For anyone that this might concern, she thinks they might have another month of interviews and once all of the seats are offered the interview cycle will end. Any seats not accepted go to waitlisted applicants and as people drop those seats go to waitlisted applicants. And it wont be long before the committee will start to review those on the waitlist.

As someone with an obvious bias (waitlisted), I can't wait! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm pretty happy. I resent my update letter/loi and I got a response. Ms Martin being the wonderful person she is, gave me more details than I gave her, lol. For anyone that this might concern, she thinks they might have another month of interviews and once all of the seats are offered the interview cycle will end. Any seats not accepted go to waitlisted applicants and as people drop those seats go to waitlisted applicants. And it wont be long before the committee will start to review those on the waitlist.

As someone with an obvious bias (waitlisted), I can't wait! Good luck everyone!
Best of luck!!!!!

Hey does anyone know if a MacBook will work for what the school needs for tests and stuff?
I have been looking on the whole byod policy, and even some of the programs appear to have an advantage for Mac users with iPhones, since I have seen apps for iPhones, but not for android devices. I think it will be a smart move.

I definitely need a new computer for school. I've heard a few ppl on the FB group advocate for tablets (I have an iPad, but looking into more of a computer type tablet for school). I've heard decent things about the surface pro 2/3 (Microsoft).

Any students have suggestions? Or anybody have experience with these?

Just got an email with acceptance letter/matriculation form attached. Looks like I will be attending DCOM in the fall!

Reactions: 10 users
We're any of y'all's interviews a group interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely need a new computer for school. I've heard a few ppl on the FB group advocate for tablets (I have an iPad, but looking into more of a computer type tablet for school). I've heard decent things about the surface pro 2/3 (Microsoft).

Any students have suggestions? Or anybody have experience with these?

I've been using a Microsoft Surface 3 this semester finishing up undergrad. I really like it a lot, it's a great size (not too big or small), very precise touch control, writing with the pen is great, really fast (i7 processor). I've been using Microsoft OneNote for notetaking which is pretty nice, it allows you to import power points/pdf's and write/type/draw/etc. and keeps all your stuff within one app. If you get a Microsoft package with word/excel/ppt etc. it'll come with the premium type of OneNote which lets you have a huge amount of cloud storage. But I have no idea how well it will fit in at DCOM especially for the tests since we'll use computers, I'll have my old laptop as a back up just in case.

Officially committed to LMU-DCOM.
However, are any of you guys concerned that the tuition will continue to increase each year? Like I know LMU is one of the cheaper schools, but there comes a point where the tuition will easily eclipse the $50k mark during our four years of med school. How do you guys swallow the fact that many of us will be greater than $350k debt before residency? Man, I feel sorry for my younger siblings...

hey all, just wondering if LMU will continue to hold interviews? Haven't received an invite yet...anyone know about the last date they interviewed last yr?

However, are any of you guys concerned that the tuition will continue to increase each year? Like I know LMU is one of the cheaper schools, but there comes a point where the tuition will easily eclipse the $50k mark during our four years of med school. How do you guys swallow the fact that many of us will be greater than $350k debt before residency? Man, I feel sorry for my younger siblings...
I'm dealing with it by thinking that with my bachelor's in biology I'm qualified for no more than a 12/hr job as a lab tech. In order to play the game you need to pay up, so I'm viewing this as an investment in my future. Some professions require capital in order to start a business, while some are like medicine and require tuition payments.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm dealing with it by thinking that with my bachelor's in biology I'm qualified for no more than a 12/hr job as a lab tech. In order to play the game you need to pay up, so I'm viewing this as an investment in my future. Some professions require capital in order to start a business, while some are like medicine and require tuition payments.
Solid.

hey all, just wondering if LMU will continue to hold interviews? Haven't received an invite yet...anyone know about the last date they interviewed last yr?

The last day that ambassadors can sign up to give tours on interview day is April 20th. That's just as of this moment. They could always add days to the list/tell us we aren't needed.

After the interview how long does it take to get a response?

After the interview how long does it take to get a response?
I think it will be near impossible to guess at this point after the forced 2 weeks off. That's enough to throw just one person's schedule out of whack, but for me personally it was 2 weeks, interview was just a day or so before the big storm hit. On a normal year, I believe early in the week interviews hear on Friday the same week, those who interviewed on Fridays generally heard back the following Friday.

I know for a fact I make more working FT in the Emergency Room (no degree required) than any job that I could get with my BS in Biology that I have. It is most definitely an investment. I'm just glad that I got into med school, bc I would've been upset to have to go back to school for something I could actually get a decent job with.

Interviewing DCOM on the 23rd, then LECOM 31st, wondering how long from the time of letter/call of acceptance do you have to commit ? not that I'm favoring one school over the other because I want to see both with open mind.

Interviewing DCOM on the 23rd, then LECOM 31st, wondering how long from the time of letter/call of acceptance do you have to commit ? not that I'm favoring one school over the other because I want to see both with open mind.

It should say in your letter so someone who's recently received one may be better at answering this. At this point in the cycle I think it's two weeks.

Lmu follows AACOMAS guidelines on deposits. I believe those accepted between Jan 15 and May 14th have 14 days.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed on 3/6 and got the call last night...I'm in!! So excited to be accepted at such a great school.

Reactions: 5 users
Sadly this is my line of thinking as well. It sucks that medical school has gotten so expensive, and even worse that the loans put you over a barrel with ridiculously high interest rates (6.5% plus) for a degree with the best repayment rate. Now your stuck thinking about something like HPSP where you don't control your life for like the next 7-11 years after medical school just to avoid the colossal debt. And, if you are like most people, you know that PSLF will be capped in the probable near future. So yeah.

But at least most places will give you 40k a year payback for the first 4 years (160K total seems to be a going rate), and even if PSLF is capped at say 57k (a number I hear bandied about), between that and a loan repayment given by your first job, most of the interest is knocked out, so you pay equivelent to like 1% interest (which isn't bad, but it sucks that 200k* WILL goto interest if you do the 10 year plan). But at least you get to go where you want. That makes me feel a little better.

*This is based on pulling out approx 350-360k

Does anyone know when we get more information about classes and such yet? All I've done is the deposit and Certified Background stuff.

Does anyone know when we get more information about classes and such yet? All I've done is the deposit and Certified Background stuff.

Our schedule was released in late June If you want an idea of what to expect you can look at ours from last semester. http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/oms1-fall-schedule-14.pdf

Keep in mind things my change. I know there was talk about making some schedule changes for anatomy in particular.

Last edited:
Moved my stuff into the Ball Realty apartments this weekend. My first impression is that it's great place to be if anyone is considering it. It's quiet and you know you are surrounded by people in similar shoes. Very nice neighborhood. Plus it's just down the road from LMU.

Any guesses as to what those anatomy class changes will be?

It would be little more than a guess on my part. I know there was discussion about rearranging/balancing the amount of material on each block exam. Either way it's really not something to worry about. You will get the same curriculum one way or another.

Any guesses as to what those anatomy class changes will be?
It would be little more than a guess on my part. I know there was discussion about rearranging/balancing the amount of material on each block exam. Either way it's really not something to worry about. You will get the same curriculum one way or another.
Apparently, last year was the first year that the students were graded on their dissections in anatomy. I'm hoping they change that. I think I'd be able to learn more efficiently if I wasn't worried about my dissection being perfect, but rather worried about memorizing as much of the anatomy as possible. But that's just my $0.02

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Apparently, last year was the first year that the students were graded on their dissections in anatomy. I'm hoping they change that. I think I'd be able to learn more efficiently if I wasn't worried about my dissection being prefect, but rather worried about memorizing as much of the anatomy as possible. But that's just my $0.02

To clarify, we were 'graded' last semester on our dissections but the only way it actually changed our grade is if a group was very good or very bad (+1 and -1 to your grade) and the vast majority were deemed passable with no change to grades.

Reactions: 3 users
To clarify, we were 'graded' last semester on our dissections but the only way it actually changed our grade is if a group was very good or very bad (+1 and -1 to your grade) and the vast majority were deemed passable with no change to grades.
Thanks for the clarification! That makes me feel better about it :D

So I've got a couple of questions about the MS in Anatomical Sciences that feeds into the medical school. I recently got my waitlist letter in the mail and this is my backup plan, but the interview made me think that the transition is not seamless. So could anyone who is an OMS1 or OMS2 answer some questions?
1) these block exams - I know as an MS student, you are taking your MGA exams apart from the med students. When you are an OMS1 student and you are not having to take anatomy, do you still have anatomy on your block exams?
2) finances. If you are not taking MGA as an OMS1, how much does this knock off the $44,000 tuition.
3)A few people have mentioned that LMU still pulls several people from the waitlist a week before classes start? Does being in the MS program make it less or more likely that you will recieve a call?
4) do you recommend the gross anatomy boot camp before starting the MS in anatomical sciences? I know it is open for MS students as well.

Can anyone PM me with some interview tips/heads up. Really want to ace the interview here since DCOM is my top pick for schools!

Can anyone PM me with some interview tips/heads up. Really want to ace the interview here since DCOM is my top pick for schools!
Be honest, be yourself. It has to be a good fit for both you and the school.

Reactions: 3 users
So I've got a couple of questions about the MS in Anatomical Sciences that feeds into the medical school. I recently got my waitlist letter in the mail and this is my backup plan, but the interview made me think that the transition is not seamless. So could anyone who is an OMS1 or OMS2 answer some questions?
1) these block exams - I know as an MS student, you are taking your MGA exams apart from the med students. When you are an OMS1 student and you are not having to take anatomy, do you still have anatomy on your block exams?
2) finances. If you are not taking MGA as an OMS1, how much does this knock off the $44,000 tuition.
3)A few people have mentioned that LMU still pulls several people from the waitlist a week before classes start? Does being in the MS program make it less or more likely that you will recieve a call?
4) do you recommend the gross anatomy boot camp before starting the MS in anatomical sciences? I know it is open for MS students as well.

I am a first year med student at DCOM and did NOT do the MS program so I wont be able to answer all of your questions.

1 - The MS students took MGA with us (same lecture and mixed in with our dissection groups) and took the same anatomy exams. MS students just took the written exam in a separate room. For the MS students-turned OMS1 anatomy is NOT on the block exams so instead of having MFM (Molecular Fundamentals of Medicine) Histology and MGA they just have MFM and Histo. Our exams are on our laptops using a program called Examsoft which randomizes the questions the former MS students just have a smaller pool obviously.

2 - I'm not certain what MS tuition is.

3 - I would only be guessing.

4 - I strongly recommend boot-camp for both incoming MS and OMS1 students. I was an international business major (but had taken anatomy) in undergrad so I was looking for any leg-up I could get on med school. Boot camp was absolutely worth the time and money. The advantage over your classmates does fade by the 3rd or 4th exam but you also get to meet 1/3 of your class sooner, get organized and most importantly get comfortable here. Message me with any questions - I would be happy to help in anyway I can

Did any of you guys find out if you were accepted before Friday after your interview? Also if you get wait listed do they call and tell you or do you have to wait for the letter?