Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know the admission requirements for LMU-DCOM? I can't seem to find it.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone from the 10/2 interview day that still hasn't received word via phone/mail? At this point I'm expecting to be wait listed, but I'm just curious if I'm the only one in this situation

Don't get your hopes up for a call today. I don't know, but I think it's possible that the adcoms may not have had time to meet this week.

Glad I was wrong!!

Reactions: 1 users
Is there anyone from the 10/2 interview day that still hasn't received word via phone/mail? At this point I'm expecting to be wait listed, but I'm just curious if I'm the only one in this situation
You are not alone.....

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted!!!! Got call at 1pm. Canadian applicant interviewed pm session oct 9. Anyone else that interviewed with me get accepted today? Congrats! Have hope everyone it will all work out!

Reactions: 5 users
II yesterday, scheduled for AM session on the 13th

So I received the acceptance call last week but have not yet received the letter in the mail, anyone else?

So I received the acceptance call last week but have not yet received the letter in the mail, anyone else?
It took a bit for my letter to get to me (Utah). Exciting to have the fancy latter though for sure. Makes it that much more real!

Members don't see this ad :)

You might want to call admissions. It took me over 2 weeks to get mine. I called admissions and they said sometimes the mail from Harrogate is slow in getting places, especially places farther away. Two weeks after getting my call I still didn't have it so I called again and it finally showed up on the Tuesday after that. I'm not sure what the deal was, but I finally got the actual letter!

Most likely wait listed or denied, because I didn't get a call. :( I thought my interview went so well, but the interviewers also weren't part of the admissions committee. I really really liked this school too. So really disappointed about this.

Most likely wait listed or denied, because I didn't get a call. :( I thought my interview went so well, but the interviewers also weren't part of the admissions committee. I really really liked this school too. So really disappointed about this.

Same here!

I could be wrong, but I think people have gotten calls for acceptances as late as Monday. That is me just being hopeful though.

I could be wrong, but I think people have gotten calls for acceptances as late as Monday. That is me just being hopeful though.
I'm in the same boat as you guys. I thought the interview went really well and I have a strong geographical connection to the school. Guess I'll just have to be patient :/

You guys are probably all just overreacting. The dean was out of the office on Friday. He probably just didn't get to you guys yet.

@Jobikenobi thanks for the info! It's hard not to overreact when decisions like this effect the rest of your life.

@Jobikenobi thanks for the info! It's hard not to overreact when decisions like this effect the rest of your life.

The decision to not call you on Friday and you having to wait a week for a snail mail acceptance probably won't affect the rest of your life.
I mean I may be wrong. You could be looking at a deadline for a hogwarts acceptance but I kinda doubt it.

That's not what I meant. I meant the decision of accepted, denied, or waitlisted is what effects the life not the fact that it's snail mail or a call. And I would have loved to be accepted to Hogwarts but was deferred until next sept.

Reactions: 4 users
I was accepted a few weeks ago and I received my acceptance letter before I got my phone call. The dean said that the school had hosted families that weekend for the white coat ceremony and it had caused delays on the phone calls. I'm sure many of you will end up in the same situation. Patience is key.

This was my 3rd year to apply to med school. I definitely know the waiting game sucks, but its not the end of the world. Keep working hard, gain more experience, and better yourself. If you keep at it eventually the right door will open. I'm so happy to be a part of the class of 2020!

Reactions: 2 users
I know there has been some talk about rotations in this thread, but can current students talk at all about this please?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/clinical-rotations-by-school.1164345/#post-17021719

This is a positive-negative thing. Yes you have to set up your own rotations. If you don't put a decent amount of effort into it, you'll get less desirable rotations. If you put effort into it, you can rotate at almost any place you want. You could be doing multiple rotations at your dream residency site or essentially many mini auditions (in that they'll know you and your work ethic and personality when you apply). I, and the doctors who I consulted with when picking which acceptance to take, considered this to be a major plus. Ymmv.

This is a positive-negative thing. Yes you have to set up your own rotations. If you don't put a decent amount of effort into it, you'll get less desirable rotations. If you put effort into it, you can rotate at almost any place you want. You could be doing multiple rotations at your dream residency site or essentially many mini auditions (in that they'll know you and your work ethic and personality when you apply). I, and the doctors who I consulted with when picking which acceptance to take, considered this to be a major plus. Ymmv.
I would much rather pick my own than get assigned.

Might be a bit early on this, but when do students normally start to sign leases? I'm used to living in a college town where you have to secure a lease at least 8 months in advance (unless you want to pay 2X as much as is necessary), so I'm trying to figure out if the LMU area is the same way or if you can just waltz up and sign a lease a few weeks before classes start.

Might be a bit early on this, but when do students normally start to sign leases? I'm used to living in a college town where you have to secure a lease at least 8 months in advance (unless you want to pay 2X as much as is necessary), so I'm trying to figure out if the LMU area is the same way or if you can just waltz up and sign a lease a few weeks before classes start.

I'll just answer broadly. If you want to live at the Inn or Mars, you can get a room a few weeks before classes start. That's what I did. If you don't want to live on campus, I recommend that you get an apartment or lease as soon as you reasonably can. If you have your heart set on renting a house, you want to get it early because there will be 240ish other people who are also looking for places to stay.

I'll just answer broadly. If you want to live at the Inn or Mars, you can get a room a few weeks before classes start. That's what I did. If you don't want to live on campus, I recommend that you get an apartment or lease as soon as you reasonably can. If you have your heart set on renting a house, you want to get it early because there will be 240ish other people who are also looking for places to stay.

Thanks! I'll try to sign a lease soon and then hopefully snag a few SDN'ers as roommates later :)

II! OOS, scheduled for 12/4. There were two earlier dates available, but I had other interviews those dates.

I called to check on the status of my application since it had been awhile since I was complete and I got an interview! I'm so excited! I'm scheduled for 11/13. If anyone else hasn't heard back in awhile, it never hurts to call! =)

Reactions: 2 users
I called to check on the status of my application since it had been awhile since I was complete and I got an interview! I'm so excited! I'm scheduled for 11/13. If anyone else hasn't heard back in awhile, it never hurts to call! =)

I will keep this in mind! When were you complete, if you don't mind me asking?

I submitted my secondary 10/1 and was marked complete friday

Make sure it has high speed Internet already or you will hate your existence.
I'm clueless about stuff like this. I have always lived in student housing. Is high speed internet difficult to obtain in Harrogate? And how would one know if it was available? Or would you just have to ask?

You can contact providers in the area and see if they cover the place you're trying to live in (i.e. go to Comcast.com and enter the rental address). Asking the current residents, if possible, is probably the most straightforward way. The owners may not tell the whole truth. Make sure that there's no contract with a specific provider that you'd have to use--those tend to be the worst service and the most expensive. This is not specific to Harrogate, though.

Also, to second Robyn from the interview day, make sure to get a history of utility prices.

This may have been discussed but if there are any current students or anyone knowledgeable on the subject I would love to hear what you have to say about this. For the clinical training site is there any known sites for being good, or avoid at all cost bad? I know it is still a while away and things can change but I would like to get a understanding. Thanks!

So are these people complaining about the rotations already set-up by LMU? What about the assigned "lottery" core sites?

Accepted! Phone call this past Friday. Interviewed on 10/9

Waitlisted. Just got the letter in the mail. I was interviewed on 10/9.

Waitlisted. Just got the letter in the mail. I was interviewed on 10/9.

Same here. But I got in at a school in my state so I won't be holding the waitlist position. Good luck to everyone!!!

Waitlisted as well. Congrats to everyone that got in!

Do any current students have any experience with the waitlist? Like how often they review WL applicants and what the appropriate steps are to find out feedback and improve my application?

LMU is my number one choice and I plan on doing what I can to still get in.

Waitlisted as well. Congrats to everyone that got in!

Do any current students have any experience with the waitlist? Like how often they review WL applicants and what the appropriate steps are to find out feedback and improve my application?

LMU is my number one choice and I plan on doing what I can to still get in.

Waitlisted 1st year here. The easiest thing to do is to let them know that "yes" you would like to remain on the waitlist and are interested in becoming a future student. I don't know if they will/can offer any advice but the admission staff are very nice people, so it doesn't hurt ask them if they have any advice or recommendations for how to improve your application. I didn't need to ask because I knew that my mcat was my red flag. If they offer some advice or you do some self reflection and make improvements, I would send an update e-mail letting the staff know what you have done. However, I would only send an update letter if you have improved your application in some shape or form. Then, I'd hold off on sending it until March.

I say March because you want your update letter to be fresh in their minds for when they finish with interviews; and if you wait that long you'll be able to add more information to your update letter. Interviews can last into May I think (Don't quote me on that). The school has the option to accept waitlisted applicants before that point but I don't think them doing so is super common. How pulling the waitlisted applicants works - Is that interviews have all been completed, the school looks and sees how many open spots they have left (if any) before they review all the waitlisted applicants again. I was told last year that they do not rank the waitlist; that yes, they review everyone.

Thanks for the info, it's too bad they wait til the end of the school year but I can totally see why that's the case. Is May around the time you got pulled off the list?

Thanks for the info, it's too bad they wait til the end of the school year but I can totally see why that's the case. Is May around the time you got pulled off the list?

Nope, I got accepted at the very end of June. They were still interviewing in May I believe. If you need the exact dates (for the start of waitlist movement) you would have to skim the last bit of last year's thread to see when people started posting that they were accepted.

I can't find where this has been answered. I'm also not trying to be stupid. Is wait list and alternate list the same thing?