Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't find where this has been answered. I'm also not trying to be stupid. Is wait list and alternate list the same thing?

My money is on yes.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, So I was wondering if one of yall can tell me, I have only received that Supplemental Application Received on Oct. 11th, is that the complete email that everyone was talk about? it just says "We have received your supplemental application, and you will be contacted if selected for an interview."
Also do you know how long before you get to hear anything from them? I am assuming a while? Thank you all for any help you can provide.

Hey guys, So I was wondering if one of yall can tell me, I have only received that Supplemental Application Received on Oct. 11th, is that the complete email that everyone was talk about? it just says "We have received your supplemental application, and you will be contacted if selected for an interview."
Also do you know how long before you get to hear anything from them? I am assuming a while? Thank you all for any help you can provide.
Received secondary 7/27, sub'd secondary 7/28, interview invite on 9/8 for 10/9, got accepted 1 wk after!

Members don't see this ad :)

Submitted secondary 10/1; Complete 10/16; Interview 10/19

Is there a facebook page for the class of 2020? Also any comments on the on-campus vs off-campus housing.

Is there a facebook page for the class of 2020? Also any comments on the on-campus vs off-campus housing.

Just join the 2019 group and ask any questions you have about the above. We'll get you squared away.

Reactions: 2 users

if you are unsure if you are complete then call them. I sent my primary in like 06/21. secondary received 6/26, submitted 7/5. interview invite 9/24. Interviewed on 10/2, accepted on 10/9.

Reactions: 1 user

If you haven't seen this video or heard Martina McBride's touching song about cancer, you're missing out!

I am from a major Northeastern city, so I'm not really used to having to worry about being gay or hiding that from anyone. I'm not flamboyant or anything, I just don't like to have to think about it or step back in the closet to make other people happy. However, I'm looking at LMU as an option for med school and wondering if anyone has insight into what it is like for LGBT people on campus, and potentially in town (since I'll probably have to go there at some point. ;)? Also, do you think that there would be bias against me if I was open about my sexual orientation on an interview or when talking to faculty? Obviously I wouldn't bring it up out of nowhere, but I have a partner and don't intend to exclude that information if it comes up. Any help, especially from other LGBTQ people would be a major help!

I am from a major Northeastern city, so I'm not really used to having to worry about being gay or hiding that from anyone. I'm not flamboyant or anything, I just don't like to have to think about it or step back in the closet to make other people happy. However, I'm looking at LMU as an option for med school and wondering if anyone has insight into what it is like for LGBT people on campus, and potentially in town (since I'll probably have to go there at some point. ;)? Also, do you think that there would be bias against me if I was open about my sexual orientation on an interview or when talking to faculty? Obviously I wouldn't bring it up out of nowhere, but I have a partner and don't intend to exclude that information if it comes up. Any help, especially from other LGBTQ people would be a major help!
Interesting topic. I can't offer a perspective of being LGBTQ, and to be honest I'm not even sure what the q part means, but I have interviewed at LMU, I have a lot of gay friends, and I live in the south. In short, I don't think this would be a major problem for you, but that also depends a lot on how open your used to being with your gayness. if your used to holding hands in public and stuff like that, you might get a few weird looks and maybe even comments. I cannot imagine anyone at the university being biased, but of course you never know. I think one thing that all my gay friends share is that none of them wanted to be gay, but at some point they've all had to learn how to accept themselves. That is difficult and challenging and it often produces a lot of growth and compassion. If that's your experience, then I would absolutely talk it up in your interview if your interviewers seem like nice open minded folks like mine did. One thing I do think you would not like is that you will probably have to go to Knoxville to socialize with other gay people. Anyway, interesting question. I hope something in all that was helpful. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure this may have been asked, but are the links in anyone else's II email broken?

Last edited:
Can those who have interviewed or are current students here please say a bit about the area the school is in? I am a little bit worried because I have never lived in a very rural area and I am wondering if I would be unhappy here. This may just be a stupid thing where I'm being nervous about the idea and once i was there I would be fine, but I really wonder what it's like from the eyes of those who have visited the area or live there.

How does housing work here and is it easy to find an apartment close to school?
What is there to do around the area?
Supermarkets? Restaurants? Stores?
Weather?
Anything and everything.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Can those who have interviewed or are current students here please say a bit about the area the school is in? I am a little bit worried because I have never lived in a very rural area and I am wondering if I would be unhappy here. This may just be a stupid thing where I'm being nervous about the idea and once i was there I would be fine, but I really wonder what it's like from the eyes of those who have visited the area or live there.

Weather?
Anything and everything.

Thanks!

Everything is cheap, there's a few apts near the school, a lot of homes for rent.

Nothing to really do in Harrogate/Middlesboro besides hiking, trails, walking. Knoxville is 1.5 hours away.
Plenty of stores, groceries and fast-food in Middlesboro. A few restaurants in Harrogate. Nothing amazing. Weather has been great so far. A few hot days here and there.

Regarding the ruralness, it's great if you're a med student. Way less distractions.

Everything is cheap, there's a few apts near the school, a lot of homes for rent.

Nothing to really do in Harrogate/Middlesboro besides hiking, trails, walking. Knoxville is 1.5 hours away.
Plenty of stores, groceries and fast-food in Middlesboro. A few restaurants in Harrogate. Nothing amazing. Weather has been great so far. A few hot days here and there.

Regarding the ruralness, it's great if you're a med student. Way less distractions.

Thank you for the info. What about if you have a SO? Would there extremely limited options for employment for them?

Thank you for the info. What about if you have a SO? Would there extremely limited options for employment for them?

Yes I'd say so. They would have to drive 10 minutes at least.

Yes I'd say so. They would have to drive 10 minutes at least.
This is one of my biggest concerns. My significant other would be very limited in her employment opportunities. Would probably have to look in Knoxville.

Weather?
Anything and everything.

Thanks!

Grass is always greener, but it's genuinely just how you approach it. I'm from a city that's on the very opposite of the spectrum in terms of population, but I view it as a nice break from the hectic pace. Odds are, the surrounding area doesn't make TOO much of a difference when it comes to being busy with school and extracurriculars. Worst case scenario, it is two years in a place that may feel a little desolate, but, in all honesty, most of what makes this place is your classmates, your professors, and your attitude.

Reactions: 3 users
Grass is always greener, but it's genuinely just how you approach it. I'm from a city that's on the very opposite of the spectrum in terms of population, but I view it as a nice break from the hectic pace. Odds are, the surrounding area doesn't make TOO much of a difference when it comes to being busy with school and extracurriculars. Worst case scenario, it is two years in a place that may feel a little desolate, but, in all honesty, most of what makes this place is your classmates, your professors, and your attitude.
I think you make a very strong point.

A typical day for us looks like:

Wake up, class, class, class, lunch, class, class, sports/gym, study, study, sleep.

Friday night life in Harrogate is going to Wal-Mart in Middlesboro hahahaha.

Reactions: 4 users
Since you do your last two years off campus and will move a lot in the process of being a doctor anyway- I wouldn't move your SO to harrogate. Mine is staying and working in Nashville and we plan on seeing each other during weekends here and there like we do now. I hope to be able to do year 3-4 near Nashville and then move in together again- so you could plan something like that. If 3.5 hrs away is too much then they could work in Knoxville and not be that far at all, just 1.5 hours. Its possible, we've worked this way for about 3 years in an 8 year relationship. I'm not saying its easy, but its possible. If you are choosing between schools and are considering this as a reason not to choose a school, I wouldn't brush your concerns off lightly. Do what makes you happy or at least, less anxious. Remember year 3-4 won't be in Harrogate anyway, so I wouldn't make anyone look for the 10 jobs (sarcasm*) they have there that pay 30k+ just to have to move again.

Nope.....
Well, I know there was some national AACOMAS conference this week that a lot of adcom faculty staff from different places have been gone for. Maybe they aren't calling until next week? I'm getting anxious about it nevertheless.

Anybody who interviewed 10/16 hear yet?

When I interviewed earlier this year, I didn't get a call until the next Monday (so for you it would be October 26th). Dr. Wieting is a busy guy and can sometimes run a bit behind, so don't make yourself crazy if you don't get a call today.

When I interviewed earlier this year, I didn't get a call until the next Monday (so for you it would be October 26th). Dr. Wieting is a busy guy and can sometimes run a bit behind, so don't make yourself crazy if you don't get a call today.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm trying my best!

No I never could access the right pages. Hopefully they fix it before my interview
Relax, they have an email with corrected links that they will send you before your interview. All will be well.

It's been over a week since aacomas released my app but I still haven't received a secondary. Should I call them on monday or is this normal?

It's been over a week since aacomas released my app but I still haven't received a secondary. Should I call them on monday or is this normal?
I think it usually takes a bit longer for a week to process it, personally I would give it another week, but calling would probably be fine.

I interviewed 10/2 and still haven't heard anything; which seems to be quite unlike them.
So i figure if by this Wednesday i don't have something i'll call
Has anyone else had something like that happen?
I've been hesitant to bug them because they've been interviewing, there have been holidays, not to mention the recent loss.
Truthfully though i think i am probably wait-listed or out right rejected :(

I interviewed 10/2 and still haven't heard anything; which seems to be quite unlike them.
So i figure if by this Wednesday i don't have something i'll call
Has anyone else had something like that happen?
I've been hesitant to bug them because they've been interviewing, there have been holidays, not to mention the recent loss.
Truthfully though i think i am probably wait-listed or out right rejected :(
I can't say, but that's a while. They told us that we should hear by phone or mail within a couple week. I would call on Monday. I do know that there has been a big AACOMAS conference somewhere the past week or so that has a lot of admissions folks out of town. Could be related. Let us know what transpires.

Interviewed 10/16. Just got the acceptance call! What a relief. If I can do it, then anybody can!

Just going to speak on the SO thing a bit. Clearly, as a single person, my word on it is GOLDEN.... har har. There are many different ways people with significant others (classmates, not me) have figured out how to work it out. Some have purchased homes with their SO and moved out here, some are doing long distance and don't see their fiance/spouse/whatever for weeks/months. I have one friend who drives home nearly every weekend and a neighbor whose SO drives here every weekend. Some split the difference traveling/job wise and live in New Tazewell. I would suggest a long and serious talk with your partner about what you feel is "do-able" and how to keep your relationship healthy and still make time for each other and make sure everyone's needs are met as well as can possibly be given the situation. Again, only the comments of a single student. Wait, I'm not single. I'm in an arranged marriage with my laptop for school.

I'm on hold.. I updated my app so we shall see. My darn GPAc has been kicking my ass.

This may a be a dumb question but where can you see your application status online? I've been complete for a while.

They sent me an email.
This may a be a dumb question but where can you see your application status online? I've been complete for a while.
They sent me an email. You can call or email. The staff there is nice.

For those that have already interviewed, what was your overall impression of the school/interview day? :)

For those that have already interviewed, what was your overall impression of the school/interview day? :)
LOVED IT!!! SO laid back. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming. I almost felt like a student already.

Reactions: 2 users

I second hopeful28--I came into the interview day liking the school, but wasn't really excited about it. By the time I left, I was ready to start classes the very next day. The students were happy, the staff friendly above and beyond the usual interview friendliness. My interviewers were hilarious and I hope to get to know them better next year. The only downside I saw on interview day was that the anatomy lab isn't as advanced as other schools and definitely smelled, but that's not a big thing to deal with for six months and doesn't really matter anyways.

I second hopeful28--I came into the interview day liking the school, but wasn't really excited about it. By the time I left, I was ready to start classes the very next day. The students were happy, the staff friendly above and beyond the usual interview friendliness. My interviewers were hilarious and I hope to get to know them better next year. The only downside I saw on interview day was that the anatomy lab isn't as advanced as other schools and definitely smelled, but that's not a big thing to deal with for six months and doesn't really matter anyways.

Not sure when you interviewed, but we've been in the abdomen for the past month so it's naturally smelly. It usually never smells and is suppose to have a top notch ventilation system.

Not sure when you interviewed, but we've been in the abdomen for the past month so it's naturally smelly. It usually never smells and is suppose to have a top notch ventilation system.

I was referring to the smell of formalin--I had interviewed at ATSU-SOMA a few weeks prior and they have downdraft tables. Wouldn't have even guessed it was a lab if I had been blindfolded, even though there were dissections in progress.