Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was referring to the smell of formalin--I had interviewed at ATSU-SOMA a few weeks prior and they have downdraft tables. Wouldn't have even guessed it was a lab if I had been blindfolded, even though there were dissections in progress.
Well isn't that something...

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current students tell me what the most urban clinical site for year 3 is?

Can any current students tell me what the most urban clinical site for year 3 is?

I'm assuming you mean core sites. I believe we have sites in Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis.
Otherwise you can pick your sites. People rotate all over the country. They had reps from rotation sites in NYC visit us last week.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming you mean core sites. I believe we have sites in Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis.
Otherwise you can pick your sites. People rotate all over the country. They had reps from rotation sites in NYC visit us last week.

Thanks!

This was definitely an exciting interview day for me! Everybody was so friendly and laid back. It was really cute seeing the students walking around in costume, they obviously loved their school and were friendly with eachother. My interview was more intense than I had expected - I got asked many ethical questions with followups, rather than the usual 'Why medicine?' 'Why DO?' and 'Why DCOM?

I forgot to ask on interview day - do many students with SO's live in New Tazewell or LaFollett or any of those places so their SO can work?

I forgot to ask on interview day - do many students with SO's live in New Tazewell or LaFollett or any of those places so their SO can work?
I live in New Tazewell and honestly I think it sucks having to drive 15-20 minutes to school everyday. It especially sucks on exam weekends when I'm trying to meet up with different study groups at random times and I'm not able to go home to get food really quick or whatever (not that I can't get food by the school, but eating out is expensive). And with all the lab times being different and stuff it makes it harder to go back and forth. If you don't plan on attending all the lectures and don't mind camping out at school all day, I'd say live farther away. My husband still has to drive a ways to get to work, so living in New Tazewell doesn't really help matters much. I plan on moving closer to school if I get accepted next year (in the MS program now). Personally, I don't feel guilty about making my husband drive farther to get to work because it would be a tremendous help to me and my studies to live closer to the school. It may not seem like a big deal, but lately I've really been feeling the extra pressure. Just my opinion!

I live in New Tazewell and honestly I think it sucks having to drive 15-20 minutes to school everyday. It especially sucks on exam weekends when I'm trying to meet up with different study groups at random times and I'm not able to go home to get food really quick or whatever (not that I can't get food by the school, but eating out is expensive). And with all the lab times being different and stuff it makes it harder to go back and forth. If you don't plan on attending all the lectures and don't mind camping out at school all day, I'd say live farther away. My husband still has to drive a ways to get to work, so living in New Tazewell doesn't really help matters much. I plan on moving closer to school if I get accepted next year (in the MS program now). Personally, I don't feel guilty about making my husband drive farther to get to work because it would be a tremendous help to me and my studies to live closer to the school. It may not seem like a big deal, but lately I've really been feeling the extra pressure. Just my opinion!

Thank you, this was exactly the info I was looking for! :)

Lurking in this thread when I noticed your username. Mine is related ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, to anybody who is interviewing here in the future - I strongly recommend staying at Cumberland Manor Bed and Breakfast. The accommodations are beautiful and historic and the hostess, Jill, is amazing. She knows everything about the town (and pretty much everybody in it), and she's just a wealth of local knowledge. Plus, she gives discounts to DCOM interviewees on certain dates, and makes a meannnn breakfast!

Quick question, would a 12 font 2 page response to the first secondary question be too much? Would it be advisable to reduce the font to 10? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Quick question, would a 12 font 2 page response to the first secondary question be too much? Would it be advisable to reduce the font to 10? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I think mine was 12pt and like just under one page. You should only need one page I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was referring to the smell of formalin--I had interviewed at ATSU-SOMA a few weeks prior and they have downdraft tables. Wouldn't have even guessed it was a lab if I had been blindfolded, even though there were dissections in progress.
thats interesting, because people I know whom have interviewed said their anatomy lab was very underwhelming.

Silly question maybe, but what city or area close to the school has the fastest internet?

How long do they take to send out secondaries? I was validated 10/20, exceed their requirements and haven't received a secondary app yet

for the deposit deadline, do our checks have to be IN by that date or POSTMARKED by that date? i wish we could pay online...

for the deposit deadline, do our checks have to be IN by that date or POSTMARKED by that date? i wish we could pay online...
Postmarked I'm fairly sure. I would email them to be sure. You don't want to not keep your spot for such a small thing.

I just emailed them about my status, i interviewed 10/2 but haven't heard anything; phone, email, or snail mail. it doesn't seem like this is common as they have been really quick in everything to this point.
I figured at first they were getting swamped with changing deans and a bunch of other stuff, so i haven't wanted to be the annoying guy who keeps calling everyday.
idk, we'll see.
anyone else in a similar place?

I just emailed them about my status, i interviewed 10/2 but haven't heard anything; phone, email, or snail mail. it doesn't seem like this is common as they have been really quick in everything to this point.
I figured at first they were getting swamped with changing deans and a bunch of other stuff, so i haven't wanted to be the annoying guy who keeps calling everyday.
idk, we'll see.

They specifically mentioned during the interview on 10/9 to call if you haven't heard anything in ~2 weeks, so I'm guessing it's not a rare occurrence. They said they wouldn't be able to give you an admissions decision when you call, but they'd track down your letter and resend it if you should've received it already. Sorry, I hope you don't have to wait too much longer :(

idk, we'll see.

Yea definitely call them

any tips, words of wisdom, or what to read up on for someone who has an interview coming up?

waitlisted
taking microbio and probably something else this spring at CC
we'll see good luck to everyone else interviewing

any tips, words of wisdom, or what to read up on for someone who has an interview coming up?
really know what to say when asked "tell me about yourself" b/c that sets the tone for the whole interview.

They're going to ask you why you want to come to Harrogate, TN of all places. Have a solid answer :)

They're going to ask you why you want to come to Harrogate, TN of all places. Have a solid answer :)
Are you a current Lincoln student? If so, what made you choose Lincoln over other schools?

waitlisted
taking microbio and probably something else this spring at CC
we'll see good luck to everyone else interviewing

Take more rigorous upper level courses. Like Biochem or immunology.

Take more rigorous upper level courses. Like Biochem or immunology.
I majored in biochem; only science course i haven't taken that is offered at my cc is microbiology.

my plan B right now is to apply for LMU's SMP come January in case i don't get in.
speaking of which, anyone here know offhand the timeline for DCOM's SMP app? I haven't had a chance to dig into that in depth yet

but push come to shove i may move so i can take more upper level courses or do a straight masters someplace; but that's a distant plan C

I majored in biochem; only science course i haven't taken that is offered at my cc is microbiology.

my plan B right now is to apply for LMU's SMP come January in case i don't get in.
speaking of which, anyone here know offhand the timeline for DCOM's SMP app? I haven't had a chance to dig into that in depth yet

but push come to shove i may move so i can take more upper level courses or do a straight masters someplace; but that's a distant plan C
The app opened in Oct and stays open until June. I'm applying now just as a plan B. I got waitlisted and may or may not get off so I wanted to have a backup plan. I really liked the school and I like how the SMP students take some classes with the first year DCOM students.

This might be a stupid question. I have updates such as certifications and volunteer experiences to add to my application. The experiences/ certifications will be this month and next month. Can I go ahead and send an update to schools or do I need to wait until January? Thanks

Anybody from the October 30th interview date heard back yet?

Anybody from the October 30th interview date heard back yet?

Not yet, any idea when they start calling?

It looks like the earliest they called for other groups was the next Friday around 5ish TN time. So we may hear this evening.... but they also said sometimes it doesn't happen that quick. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything.

Actually I take that back... some of the 10/9 interviewers were earlier in the day... who knows I guess we shall wait and see!

Anyone attending here know anything about the clinical rotations and can give me the good/bad honest review?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all. Just wondering if there are any other Canadians accepted for the 2020 class yet? Also hoping a 3rd or 4th year student can comment on the clinical rotations, esp the 4th year ones. It seems like LMUDCOM gives the students a lot of electives in the 4th year (all but the 16 weeks in rural, PC and EM). Are there any other restrictions on the electives? Some schools have a rule that does not allow for more than 12 weeks in any one specialty, but I did not read this anywhere on the LMU website.

Anyone attending here know anything about the clinical rotations and can give me the good/bad honest review?

Rotations are dependent on where you end up. There are places that are amazing and places that it's more shadow-like. You are assigned to a location for your 6 month core and then you can complete your selectives and electives at locations of your choice. During your second year, a panel of students from each site come and let you know about the different locations and upperclassmen are always happy to answer questions about specific sites.

Rotations are dependent on where you end up. There are places that are amazing and places that it's more shadow-like. You are assigned to a location for your 6 month core and then you can complete your selectives and electives at locations of your choice. During your second year, a panel of students from each site come and let you know about the different locations and upperclassmen are always happy to answer questions about specific sites.

Hey thanks a lot. Do you really have to move a lot? I have a family and I know that would really be tough.

lol i wish they would set up a google doc or thread here detailing their reviews of all the sites