Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED!! Can't believe it

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
do you feel like everything you do on clinicals is contributing to your education. i guess what i'm trying to ask without sounding rude is "do you have to do any scut work?" like fetching supplies or coffee

I'd focus on getting in first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted as well! Were you guys with the 1st or 2nd group?

Reactions: 4 users
do you feel like everything you do on clinicals is contributing to your education. i guess what i'm trying to ask without sounding rude is "do you have to do any scut work?" like fetching supplies or coffee

You are at clinicals to learn medicine and how to be a physician. I might be the exception, but I have never been asked to fetch coffee or any other trivial task. As for fetching supplies, yes you will be asked to get stuff here and there for a procedure, does this count as scut work? I don't think so, but willingness to do it will be in your best interest and help you learn the department better. It is in your favor to go above and beyond your scope of practice and help the nurses and techs. You will gain brownie points and they will be more than willing to show you things, teach you, and let you do procedures. Opportunity presents itself to people who do their job... and more. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 4 users
sorry to hear...
is there anything you wish you had done differently?
Yeah honestly my interviewer had a strange sense of humor and it kinda threw me off. Also I should have done a better job preparing myself in regard to expressing who I am as an applicant and future physician. It sucks being rejected, there's no way around it...but I'll pick myself up and keep moving forward after today. I'll do better at my next interviews. To anyone accepted, congrats. I def met some really awesome people and enjoyed the school/students. Best wishes to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
so if you don't get a call, does that mean you are rejected? will they call tomorrow?

Yeah honestly my interviewer had a strange sense of humor and it kinda threw me off. Also I should have done a better job preparing myself in regard to expressing who I am as an applicant and future physician. It sucks being rejected, there's no way around it...but I'll pick myself up and keep moving forward after today. I'll do better at my next interviews. To anyone accepted, congrats. I def met some really awesome people and enjoyed the school/students. Best wishes to everyone!

I think you deserve some recognition for having such a great attitude and outlook in regards to this process. Let this part of your personality shine in your next interview and you will knock it out of the park! Goodluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know who to check your status? whether in or not?

As per the information sessions, they will give you a call the Friday after your interview and/or a letter will be put in the mail with your admissions decision. There is no way to really "check" other than waiting for your letter.

I also got the call and have been accepted! Congrats to those who also got accepted!

If you didn't get the call, don't give up hope just yet. If you were waitlisted, that's how you'll find out. And yes, people do get pulled off of the waitlist - all you have to do is periodically (later in the cycle) remind the school that you are interested and what improvements you've made in your application.

What's the turn around from interview to acceptance been for you guys? Congrats by the way!!

Sometimes they don't get to make all the calls by Friday evening, especially since its Labor Day weekend, you might not get notified until Tuesday

so if you don't get a call, does that mean you are rejected? will they call tomorrow?

Not always. Sometimes Dr. Weiting fails to make a call. However this is relatively few and far between. The letter is the absolute answer.

What's the turn around from interview to acceptance been for you guys? Congrats by the way!!

Typically you find out about a week after your interview. DCOM is very fast to make a decision and inform the applicant.

Congrats to everyone accepted!! I'm still looking for an interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Also to anyone who got wait listed: this is soooo early in the process, there is so much opportunity to get pulled off of it and be accepted. This isn't like you got wait listed in May or something.

Reactions: 1 user
So what is LMU's accepted:waitlist:reject ratio?

So what is LMU's accepted:waitlist:reject ratio?
I wrote down the numbers somewhere, but last year they interviewed approximately 520 candidates and offered acceptances to 400 of those to fill there ~200 spots.

So I would say probably about 100 of those other 120 that interviewed get wait listed and a handful of outright rejections post interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewing this early in the cycle is honestly still a great predictor for y'all who haven't gotten the call yet. There's always hope!

I am going to be at the holiday inn at Middlesboro, KY. How about you? It is pretty cool they are doing a dinner thing before the interview also! Are you going to be doing that?
That's where I ended up getting a room too with the discount I am really hoping to go to the dinner! But I have an 8 hour drive, not sure when I will get on the road yet, hopefully early enough!

That's where I ended up getting a room too with the discount I am really hoping to go to the dinner! But I have an 8 hour drive, not sure when I will get on the road yet, hopefully early enough!

That's where I stayed too.

I wrote down the numbers somewhere, but last year they interviewed approximately 520 candidates and offered acceptances to 400 of those to fill there ~200 spots.

So I would say probably about 100 of those other 120 that interviewed get wait listed and a handful of outright rejections post interview.

Do you know how many people come off the waitlist?

That's a reassuring number! I hope I rock my interview!

I feel like rejecting less than 4% of those you interview is probably inaccurate. Especially since I feel like more than 20 SDNers alone last year said they didn't get in.

I feel like rejecting less than 4% of those you interview is probably inaccurate. Especially since I feel like more than 20 SDNers alone last year said they didn't get in.

The numbers from last class were:

516 interviewed
400 acceptances offered

They didn't quote how many of the 116 that interviewed got a rejection vs. wait list, but they did mention that approximately 50 people were pulled off of the wait list.

The numbers from last class were:

516 interviewed
400 acceptances offered

They didn't quote how many of the 116 that interviewed got a rejection vs. wait list, but they did mention that approximately 50 people were pulled off of the wait list.

No where in that does it suggest that only 20 rejections were given out. I'm willing to bet there are more than 20 people who were rejected in the masters program here.

No where in that does it suggest that only 20 rejections were given out. I'm willing to bet there are more than 20 people who were rejected in the masters program here.

Hence why I stated that I would go out on a limb and say that the waitlist-to-rejection ratio isn't as drastic as some people may assume that it is. Just my opinion. Still, ~50 people pulled off of the waitlist of only 116 who didn't get accepted still leaves someone with pretty good odds of eventual acceptance.

I thought the masters program was supposed to be really good for students looking to get into LMU.

I thought the masters program was supposed to be really good for students looking to get into LMU.

It is phenomenally good. That's why those people who were rejected in the previous cycle are in the program.

For those that have already interviewed, did you bring anything paper/note wise?

For those that have already interviewed, did you bring anything paper/note wise?

You won't need a notepad unless you want one. I do think it's nice to bring a pen just in case, but I think they give you a pen. I know that you will get a folder filled with all sorts of papers. You can write on those, unless you want them pristine. Then you'd want your notepad.

You won't need a notepad unless you want one. I do think it's nice to bring a pen just in case, but I think they give you a pen. I know that you will get a folder filled with all sorts of papers. You can write on those, unless you want them pristine. Then you'd want your notepad.

They provide a pen...there was nothing that really needed to be written down.

Woohoo! Are the II's coming via email or phonecall? Congrats, guys!

Hello,

So I just submitted my secondary app. I noticed that some people had mentioned that there was an LOR section in the secondary app. For some reason, I did not see such a section. I just looked at my submitted application and it was still not there. Im guessing the only info they have on my LORs is from aacomas. Can someone please clarify this for me?

For the "Letters of Reference" section under the essays, do I need to fill those out if I am submitting my committee packet through AACOMAS app service? It doesn't ask for an email address for each, so I am assuming it is so they know what letters to expect?
Hey,
I submitted my secondary app and I did not see a LOR section under the essays section. The only LOR info they have is through aacomas I guess. Do you have any insight on why you had to write about your LORs in your secondary and it didn't appear in mine.

I don't see it as being discouraging. My husband and I have discussed about moving and he is okay. He wouldn't mind driving the hr to work if he gets this raise. If he doesn't he said if we could financially do it he would be a stay at home dad til he decided on his next academic step. We have a few options to think about it. I wouldn't mind coming in on the weekends but I couldn't do that with a toddler. My heart would just break if I couldn't hold him. ;(

As a student and parent, it will be a large time sacrifice from your current life just being a med student. I see my kid for about ~2 hrs/day (bath/dinner/playing/bedtime) during the week. More on the weekend, almost none the weekend before exams (like every 3rd weekend). You can definitely do the 2+ hrs driving daily, but you may regret it quickly.

Anybody Interviewing should check out AirBNB. Most are med students with an extra room, and are happy to answer questions :)

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody Interviewing should check out AirBNB. Most are med students with an extra room, and are happy to answer questions :)

For real though. I found a room 10 minutes away for like $25 a night from a current vet student!

Hey,
I submitted my secondary app and I did not see a LOR section under the essays section. The only LOR info they have is through aacomas I guess. Do you have any insight on why you had to write about your LORs in your secondary and it didn't appear in mine.

Maybe they changed it idk