Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will be in the area looking for apartments Thursday and Friday. I will try to get some up-close pictures of the campus and area and post them here for any curious applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be in the area looking for apartments Thursday and Friday. I will try to get some up-close pictures of the campus and area and post them here for any curious applicants.

My girlfriend's dentist is like a two minute drive away from the school. I can try and answer some questions about the location, if you'd like.

Hey guys, I'm a soon-to-be M2 with some free time on my hands. I'll be checking in occasionally to answer any questions you might have about the school, curriculum, area, etc. I'll defer to the incoming M1s to answer questions about the app cycle since it has been a while for me :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
That would be great! Please share the pictures. I live in Canada and NSUCOM is my top choice, so I would love to see what the campus looks like

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I'm a soon-to-be M2 with some free time on my hands. I'll be checking in occasionally to answer any questions you might have about the school, curriculum, area, etc. I'll defer to the incoming M1s to answer questions about the app cycle since it has been a while for me :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Just skimmed over your blog today, wanted to say great job :)

Good luck!

Could you please give us any recommendations for international students? Would you know what Nova is looking for in terms of EC's in an applicant?

Could you please give us any recommendations for international students? Would you know what Nova is looking for in terms of EC's in an applicant?

I'm not an international student so I can't really give recommendations. I would assume that it's more difficult applying as an international student than a US student and, therefore, you have less leeway on your application (i.e. your app needs to be stronger all around). But again, that's just my assumption. Sorry, I can't really help much here.

I have no ties to the adcom or anything, so I can't tell you what Nova is actually looking for in an applicant regarding EC's. But as a general guideline, quality > quantity, and of course doing things that are unique also help to set you apart from every other applicant. Most people in my class volunteered at a hospital/clinic, did some kind of research, and shadowed a physician. Less people had a different career before applying to medical school, got a second degree, served in the military, are raising children, did international volunteer or medical work, started a business, etc. It's important to have medically related ECs, but I think it's also important that you do things you enjoy or have a genuine interest in- those things will make you more unique. I was asked more about my hobbies and non-medically related activities than my hospital volunteering/research during interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not an international student so I can't really give recommendations. I would assume that it's more difficult applying as an international student than a US student and, therefore, you have less leeway on your application (i.e. your app needs to be stronger all around). But again, that's just my assumption. Sorry, I can't really help much here.

I have no ties to the adcom or anything, so I can't tell you what Nova is actually looking for in an applicant regarding EC's. But as a general guideline, quality > quantity, and of course doing things that are unique also help to set you apart from every other applicant. Most people in my class volunteered at a hospital/clinic, did some kind of research, and shadowed a physician. Less people had a different career before applying to medical school, got a second degree, served in the military, are raising children, did international volunteer or medical work, started a business, etc. It's important to have medically related ECs, but I think it's also important that you do things you enjoy or have a genuine interest in- those things will make you more unique. I was asked more about my hobbies and non-medically related activities than my hospital volunteering/research during interviews.
Hey guys, I'm in the class of 2018.
I agree with Nekobeats. During my interview I was asked about my hobbies/non academic/non medically related activities. I was also asked tell something that was NOT in my application. If you guys ever have an interview at Nova, think about what's not in your application... Because they will likely ask it. Good luck everyone :)

Reactions: 2 users
This school seems pretty cool! One of my brothers lives within an hour from here! Anyway, for the current students what do you like the most about this school (also anything unique)? Anything you wish you knew beforehand?

Last edited:
This school seems pretty cool! One of my brother's lives within an hour from here! Anyway, for the current students what do you like the most about this school (also anything unique)? Anything you wish you knew beforehand?

I'm not gonna lie, a great thing about NSU is the location. It helps that after a crazy week of studying for an exam, you can go tan at the beach, hit a few rounds of golf, or go down to Miami- anytime of the year. It's really important for me to do things that aren't studying once in a while and take a break without having to go to extreme distances to do so. That's a pretty big plus for me. Of course the drawback to this is that it's easy to get distracted. You just need to discipline yourself.

I also really like the whole deal with having Societies and M2 mentors. Having Societies help you to get to know your classmates and the mentors help guide you with classes and answer any questions or concerns that you have. It's nice to get advice from people who have actually been through it all before.

With regards to things I wish I knew beforehand- nothing that major. I think the most things people complain about had to do with the whole iPad thing, that our note packets don't come in color, that we need more money to print (we get $70/year), that we need better testing schedules (I'll agree with this one), and that our auditorium is too cold, lol. There aren't really any surprises once you start, at least not for me. Maybe another student can comment with their experience.

Hope that helps!

How are the apartments in the area?

Members don't see this ad :)

The most popular off-campus apartments are Signature, Sunforest, Royal Grand, and Palm Trace. There are some more options here: http://www.nova.och101.com/. There's also Rolling Hills Apartments, which is the on-campus housing for graduate and professional students at NSU. It's literally 2 minutes driving and 15 minutes walking from class. Also comes completely furnished, which is pretty convenient especially if you're coming cross-country like I did. The major con about Rolling Hills is probably the cost. It's about 14k a year to live in a single I believe.

The most popular off-campus apartments are Signature, Sunforest, Royal Grand, and Palm Trace. There are some more options here: http://www.nova.och101.com/. There's also Rolling Hills Apartments, which is the on-campus housing for graduate and professional students at NSU. It's literally 2 minutes driving and 15 minutes walking from class. Also comes completely furnished, which is pretty convenient especially if you're coming cross-country like I did. The major con about Rolling Hills is probably the cost. It's about 14k a year to live in a single I believe.
Thank you I appreciate the response and will look at them

How do we contact them? The email listed on the AACOM information page apparently doesn't exist anymore. I called yesterday, but I was not speaking to someone within the DO admissions. The person had to "look up" the answer to my question. Just not sure how reliable my answer is because I have seen conflicting sources.

Definitely applying here! I've heard great things about the school and absolutely love the location (the warmer the better!) I was wondering if there are any research opportunities? I'm interested in ID and preventative med in particular. Thanks!

How do we contact them? The email listed on the AACOM information page apparently doesn't exist anymore. I called yesterday, but I was not speaking to someone within the DO admissions. The person had to "look up" the answer to my question. Just not sure how reliable my answer is because I have seen conflicting sources.

I would go to the school website and email or call whatever is listed there. I'm not sure how reliable the AACOM info page is. You can also PM me your question and I'll try to answer.

Definitely applying here! I've heard great things about the school and absolutely love the location (the warmer the better!) I was wondering if there are any research opportunities? I'm interested in ID and preventative med in particular. Thanks!

There's a research club you can join that can help set you up with a faculty mentor. I'm not part of it but I think that's part of what they do. I'd like to think that there are a lot of ID research opportunities here purely because of the tropical climate/insect population --> increased prevalence of some diseases. If you really want to do preventative med and if you don't already have an MPH, you can get a dual DO/MPH degree. Public Health pretty much IS preventative med. That program will connect you to faculty that are doing preventative med/public health research. Even if you don't do the dual degree program, you can look up who are faculty in the preventative medicine/public health department and see if they have any projects you can take on.

The variety of research is limited depending on the specialty, but NSU-COM is making progress so the future is bright. Depending on what interests you, you're probably better off finding research opportunities outside of NSU-COM. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, although naturally it would be ideal to not have to drive at all. You just have to be motivated to look for and pursue these opportunities. Fortunately, South Florida has tons of medical research centers (lots at University of Miami). Get out there and explore!

The website says:
  • A letter from a physician is required with your application (doesn't matter if it's MD or a DO).
Do you guys think whether there is an hidden/internal preference for DO LOR's?

Rolling hills is nice because the shark shuttle goes by.

Plenty of apartments FYI.

Also one plantation is brand new and that place is sooo nice lol. It's expensive though but really worth it imo. Signature and one plantation are the nicest sunforest/royal grand/palm trace aren't as nice but a tad cheaper (honestly not that nice).

Thank you! I appreciate the information

Yea no problem. There is like a pool there / game room / workout room/ tennis court/ parking garage. Kitchen has granite and stainless steal (like signature) they are leed certified (green) and they are dog friendly. I went on a tour there of my friends room and I really like it :nod::nod:.

Yea no problem. There is like a pool there / game room / workout room/ tennis court/ parking garage. Kitchen has granite and stainless steal (like signature) they are leed certified (green) and they are dog friendly. I went on a tour there of my friends room and I really like it :nod::nod:.
That sounds pretty good I am just trying to figure out what housing is like I want a place my spouse will be happy at also

That sounds pretty good I am just trying to figure out what housing is like I want a place my spouse will be happy at also

Yea it's south florida so housing is pretty nice. NSUCOM is nice in general though IMO.

Yea it's south florida so housing is pretty nice. NSUCOM is nice in general though IMO.
Yeah I have heard great things and he will retiring from military so I want to make sure he can stay busy but really heard good things

Yeah I have heard great things and he will retiring from military so I want to make sure he can stay busy but really heard good things

Well hopefully you guys like the beach because las olas/miami is very close by and thats always fun:).

Well hopefully you guys like the beach because las olas/miami is very close by and thats always fun:).
Yeah I do and he likes to scuba I really like NC but would like living in Florida

Yeah I do and he likes to scuba I really like NC but would like living in Florida

I know nothing about north carolina so I won't even comment about campbell. I don't think I'm applying there though.

I know nothing about north carolina so I won't even comment about campbell. I don't think I'm applying there though.
I went to CUSOM for a event and really loved everything about the school the labs were amazing

I went to CUSOM for a event and really loved everything about the school the labs were amazing

CUSOM is a new school though right? I go to NSU undergrad and have spoken to a bunch of med students and have toured the HPD and what not. So I guess I know what I'm getting with nova. I might include either VCOM or CUSOM in my app but I'm unsure. They might be a little far for me.

CUSOM is a new school though right? I go to NSU undergrad and have spoken to a bunch of med students and have toured the HPD and what not. So I guess I know what I'm getting with nova. I might include either VCOM or CUSOM in my app but I'm unsure. They might be a little far for me.
It is a newer school but everyone was really friendly and the labs were great you really felt like home at the school I am applying to VCOM too.

It is a newer school but everyone was really friendly and the labs were great you really felt like home at the school I am applying to VCOM too.

Well good luck with your apps!

For those of you who have already gotten accepted: Does NSU gather LOR's as part of the secondary application, or is it separate?

The website says:
  • A letter from a physician is required with your application (doesn't matter if it's MD or a DO).

I only shadowed an MD and only had an MD letter. It never got brought up during the interview, but IMO it's always better to have DO letter for DO schools. The school will appreciate that you had that exposure, and if the physician can vouch for your interest in osteopathic medicine in the LOR it will only help.

Rolling hills is nice because the shark shuttle goes by.

Plenty of apartments FYI.

Also one plantation is brand new and that place is sooo nice lol. It's expensive though but really worth it imo. Signature and one plantation are the nicest sunforest/royal grand/palm trace aren't as nice but a tad cheaper (honestly not that nice).

Not always super reliable though. That's actually another con about RH. The only time it comes consistently is in the morning, and even then there are times it lags by ~10 minutes. The drivers sometimes do this thing where they just kind of sit in the shuttle near the golf course without moving. So the time until arrival will say "2 minutes" for 15 minutes and you're just waiting, wondering where the bus is, lol. When you start getting into lunch time and beyond, they come by less often and less according to schedule. I used to take it a lot during the beginning of the year because it is convenient, but eventually decided just to drive to school because I can come and go when I want. I'll admit the shuttle is useful if you don't have a car or bicycle at all since it goes to the mall and grocery store (although only 1 day a week, 1 time that day).

I only shadowed an MD and only had an MD letter. It never got brought up during the interview, but IMO it's always better to have DO letter for DO schools. The school will appreciate that you had that exposure, and if the physician can vouch for your interest in osteopathic medicine in the LOR it will only help.

Thank you. The DO that I shadowed said that he will not write me a letter until he received my mcat results, which wont come in until begining of august. So, in the meantime, I would like to send nova a letter from my family physician (MD) along with my secondary application and once the DO letter is written, I will send that to nova as well. Do you think it is okay to get a letter from your family physician who you have not shadowed before?

Thank you. The DO that I shadowed said that he will not write me a letter until he received my mcat results, which wont come in until begining of august. So, in the meantime, I would like to send nova a letter from my family physician (MD) along with my secondary application and once the DO letter is written, I will send that to nova as well. Do you think it is okay to get a letter from your family physician who you have not shadowed before?

Why not shadow him then?

In addition to what Neko said, I just wanted to add that I would recommend looking at places South of 595/84. That intersection can be such a CF in the morning.

Why not shadow him then?
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I am an international applicant from Canada, and in here, pre-med students are legally restricted when shadowing doctors. I will try my best and see if he allows me to shadow him, I hope he does :)

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I am an international applicant from Canada, and in here, pre-med students are legally restricted when shadowing doctors. I will try my best and see if he allows me to shadow him, I hope he does :)

Oh, that's unfortunate. I wasn't aware of this legal restriction. Hopefully you'll be able to work something out!

I've been out of the app cycle for a while, but I think it's okay. As long as your family physician can vouch for why you want to be a doctor or describe why he thinks you would make a good doctor, I think it'll be fine.

I've been out of the app cycle for a while, but I think it's okay. As long as your family physician can vouch for why you want to be a doctor or describe why he thinks you would make a good doctor, I think it'll be fine.
Yes, I had two letters from doctors, and one was my family doctor who I didn't shadow, but she wrote great things about me and my aspirations. It's fine.

The website says:
I feel like theres always a hidden preference for DO, especially primary care.

I submitted a letter from an MD doctor who I didn't shadow, but interacted with him in academic settings. It was fine, and I was invited for the interview; however, to be fully admitted they told me I would have to bring the letter from a physician I worked with or shadowed. So, you have plenty of time to send in another letter later. They are cool about it.

I submitted a letter from an MD doctor who I didn't shadow, but interacted with him in academic settings. It was fine, and I was invited for the interview; however, to be fully admitted they told me I would have to bring the letter from a physician I worked with or shadowed. So, you have plenty of time to send in another letter later. They are cool about it.
How long do you think we should shadow a DO for the letter because mine pretty much said about 6 hours is good enough for him. I mean assuming I can talk about it thoughtfully in interviews.

How long do you think we should shadow a DO for the letter because mine pretty much said about 6 hours is good enough for him. I mean assuming I can talk about it thoughtfully in interviews.
It's all individual, there is no set standard as to how many hours you have to put in shadowing, as long as you have some kind of exposure to medicine to make a thought out decision that this is what you want to do for the rest of your life. And if your DO said he will give you a letter after 6 hours of shadowing, go with it. I am sure you will have some other medically related experiences as well. Again, it's not about hours. During my interview, I was only asked whether or not I had any kind of exposure to medicine, and if yes, wheat kind and how it influenced my decision to become a doctor. I only brought up the most significant one, without mentioning any dates, and it was fine.

I forgot to say that, according to some people on the forum, they didn't even have any letters from physicians on file when they were invited for interviews, and sent the letters after they were accepted. I just think you shouldn't stress out about the whole doctor letter thing, it is just a requirement in order to be fully admitted.

It's all individual, there is no set standard as to how many hours you have to put in shadowing, as long as you have some kind of exposure to medicine to make a thought out decision that this is what you want to do for the rest of your life. And if your DO said he will give you a letter after 6 hours of shadowing, go with it. I am sure you will have some other medically related experiences as well. Again, it's not about hours. During my interview, I was only asked whether or not I had any kind of exposure to medicine, and if yes, wheat kind and how it influenced my decision to become a doctor. I only brought up the most significant one, without mentioning any dates, and it was fine.
Thanks. I mean I was planning on updating AACOMAS after I shadowed this DO, which is where I would have put the 6 hours. Do you think I should even update it?