Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have heard from OSU-CHS faculty and medical students, which some are my friends, that half of the matriculating class is usually pulled from the wait-list.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone accepted their offer yet? the admissions tab says "After you have completed all of the forms listed above, please return to the offer letter, located on the left side of the screen, and officially accept the offer to OSU-COM." but when I go to the offer letter, there isn't a button or anything that says accept. Does anyone have any advice on this? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything!

Has anyone accepted their offer yet? the admissions tab says "After you have completed all of the forms listed above, please return to the offer letter, located on the left side of the screen, and officially accept the offer to OSU-COM." but when I go to the offer letter, there isn't a button or anything that says accept. Does anyone have any advice on this? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything!
Should be a button at the bottom of the screen on the first page that pulls up for acceptance offer tab.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI. Looks like OU is releasing fall interviewee accepts on 21 Dec. so will be interesting as people accept and turn down etc freeing up spots elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
OU fall interview accepts are literally just coming out right now. Should free up a few more slots. Only 2 weeks to decide and seriously see great things at both.

Not a boast, please don't take that way just giving little more hope for those waiting for slots

OU fall interview accepts are literally just coming out right now. Should free up a few more slots. Only 2 weeks to decide and seriously see great things at both.

Not a boast, please don't take that way just giving little more hope for those waiting for slots
congrats on your acceptances cap!

Reactions: 1 user
I just released my acceptance from OSU after accepting another school. On the positive side, I hope this frees up a slot for a deserving applicant out there that is anxiously waiting. I was extremely impressed by the people (students and faculty) and the facilities (that new sim hospital they are building sounds amazing), and as such this was a really really hard decision. So the person who gets this slot should be setup for great success. Im a little bias too because OSU was my undergrad and master's alma mater.

Will also be releasing my acceptance, hope it goes to one you guys! Best of luck!

still havent heard anything from OSU. anyone else waiting still?

For those who have not heard anything yet. I would maybe contact the school, express your interest and ask about the status of your application. Mistakes have been made before so it is good to double check on the off chance that something has happened. If everything is in and verified, it never hurts to politely express your interest in the school! I work with people who have gotten accepted in March/ April so it isn't too late! Stay positive.

I was accepted Aug 7th when classes started Aug 10th. You've got plenty of time. Keep on shadowing, volunteering, and email OSU with updates to your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^^^^ I think I would cry my gawdamn eyes out for two weeks straight

^^^^^ I think I would cry my gawdamn eyes out for two weeks straight
Then you would miss all of biochem ;)

Interviews will pick back up again soon once they get organized after winter break I'm sure.

For those who have not heard anything yet. I would maybe contact the school, express your interest and ask about the status of your application. Mistakes have been made before so it is good to double check on the off chance that something has happened. If everything is in and verified, it never hurts to politely express your interest in the school! I work with people who have gotten accepted in March/ April so it isn't too late! Stay positive.

I have heard of this happening. I have contacted them with updates, grades from my grad school semester, publications, etc. and all they say is "you are still under review." Ive tried to contact the admissions director and havent gotten a response, so im just gonna assume its not gonna happen, and if it does ill be happy to attend an interview.

I was accepted Aug 7th when classes started Aug 10th. You've got plenty of time. Keep on shadowing, volunteering, and email OSU with updates to your application.

I wouldnt even entertain an offer like that to be honest. For people like me with a family that would have to move for school that wouldnt be possible AT ALL. i am blessed in that i have a seat at another school for next year, albeit, OSU was a top choice for me the past 3 application cycles. I dont know whether itd be a good idea to let them know that I would love to consider going there if offered a spot, but financially with deposits for seats, the carrot can only be dangled in front of the horse for so long until he eventually just eat the grass at his feet, so to speak. In other words, i have to pay deposits soon and am running out of financial time to be able pay a deposit at OSU if i were given an offer.

i have to pay deposits soon and am running out of financial time to be able pay a deposit at OSU if i were given an offer.
Not exactly sure what you mean, but just fyi OSU deposit is a lot cheaper than most DO schools' (I think around $100). If you're on the waitlist, you might want to wait until they cut it down to the final waitlist before you opt for the other schools--if you're a resident, the tuition savings will be so worth the inconvenience of late acceptance. Either way, congrats on getting in somewhere!

it seems like this school has been very quiet compared to others

Not exactly sure what you mean, but just fyi OSU deposit is a lot cheaper than most DO schools' (I think around $100). If you're on the waitlist, you might want to wait until they cut it down to the final waitlist before you opt for the other schools--if you're a resident, the tuition savings will be so worth the inconvenience of late acceptance. Either way, congrats on getting in somewhere!
yes the deposit is only $100! Much more affordable compared to other schools like NSU ( $1250) and KCUMB ($1000) Tuition is also about half of these school if you are IS.

I didnt realize the osu deposit was that cheap! I am a resident and that is a big factor certainly for tuition, the programs i have been offered a seat at are both about 50K/year in tuition alone which is scary. I would love to actually afford to pay for some out of pocket which is much more doable at OSU. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

BTW, do you (assuming you are either a student or at least familiar with the program) know when OSU is anticipating the new Tandy building to be open; i/e with the class of 2020 have it integrated into their curricula?

New building we were told was to open our 2nd year for the incoming class of 2016, so I would assume that would be fall of 2017.

I think fall of 2017 is the projected completion date for the Tandy building. The incoming class will certainly get to use it.

Anybody know the acceptance rate post interview? Also, how many OOS interviews does OSUCOM usually give? Thanks!

Anybody know the acceptance rate post interview? Also, how many OOS interviews does OSUCOM usually give? Thanks!
OOS acceptances range from 8-15 if I remember correctly. OSU has a very strong in-state bias, but as far as interviews go I have no idea.

Scheduled my interview invite a couple days ago! Can't wait to come see the school, everyone I know who goes to OSU-med loves it. Anyone have any advice for the interview or maybe what sorts of things I can expect?

Scheduled my interview invite a couple days ago! Can't wait to come see the school, everyone I know who goes to OSU-med loves it. Anyone have any advice for the interview or maybe what sorts of things I can expect?
Why OSU? Why DO? After that it's just a conversation to get to know you. It's really laid-back.

OOS acceptances range from 8-15 if I remember correctly. OSU has a very strong in-state bias, but as far as interviews go I have no idea.
Do you know OSU's acceptance rate post interview??

Does anybody have any match lists for OSU? All I can find is the most recent one and some for 2005-2009. Any in between (like 2013 or 2014) would be amazing. Thank you

http://osururalhealth.blogspot.com/2014/05/osu-college-of-osteopathic-medicine_20.html?m=1

Here's the 2014 one. Match list really aren't that important though. People get impressed by competitive matches, but a lot of students don't want to do any of those specialties. The majority of my class wants to do primary care, so we might have a low number of people doing the "competitive" specialties, but I know of many people who will most likely be matching their top choice next month

http://osururalhealth.blogspot.com/2014/05/osu-college-of-osteopathic-medicine_20.html?m=1

Here's the 2014 one. Match list really aren't that important though. People get impressed by competitive matches, but a lot of students don't want to do any of those specialties. The majority of my class wants to do primary care, so we might have a low number of people doing the "competitive" specialties, but I know of many people who will most likely be matching their top choice next month

Thank you so much!

y u gotta ghost on us like this OSU-COM

Interview coming up here. Any advice? I have heard it is pretty chill.

Gosh, I really want an interview here...or better yet, AN ACCEPTANCE!

Not only do I LOVE this school, but if I were to get an acceptance here I would end medical school with under $100k of debt, in a residency in the exact area I want to practice, and with numerous friends currently attending here! Please, Jesus, LOOK HERE! :)

Interview coming up here. Any advice? I have heard it is pretty chill.

Pretty chill, I got a "teach me something question"
But other than that is really easy

Interview invite for January 28th. Super excited! :D

Interview invite for January 28th. Super excited! :D

That's when I'll be there!! I am feeling like there is some good karma for that day! We got this!

Congrats! In state? Mind sharing stats?

No prob!

In state, 499 MCAT, 3.5 undergrad GPA, 3.8 graduate GPA, 4 publications

Not proud of the MCAT score but I literally only studied for it for 8 weeks. :panda:

Last edited:
It has been awhile since I have heard from them, so I guess I will post my stats here.
I am from Texas (I heard they are finicky with Tx residents?) MCAT 24, ugpa 3.42 graduate 3.77. Reading from past threads it seems as if I might not have a chance but maybe there is someone out there who had similar stats and got accepted?

For those of you interviewing soon, check the OSU interview feedback page and prepare for as many questions on there as you can. The 5 drugs question isnt a joke, I got it. You will be able to see who is interviewing you beforehand so if you see Pharmacology or PhD next to one of your interviewer's name, there's a little hint right there. I was also asked name a disease caused by a bacteria, virus, and fungus. Other than that the only other unexpected question I heard of was "teach me something" and was asked to go to the whiteboard in the room. I interviewed in the last group of the day and all the M1 and M2 students came in and told us what to expect beforehand so I wouldn't be worried at all. Everyone there wants everyone to succeed, it is an awesome environment.

Other than those questions, everything is very very laid back and it felt like the interviewers were talking to each other more than me at times. Relax, be yourself, and enjoy getting to know your interviewers. I think this interview was the best one I've had to date so don't stress over it!

It has been awhile since I have heard from them, so I guess I will post my stats here.
I am from Texas (I heard they are finicky with Tx residents?) MCAT 24, ugpa 3.42 graduate 3.77. Reading from past threads it seems as if I might not have a chance but maybe there is someone out there who had similar stats and got accepted?
Unfortunately the Tx residency will not be in your favor but I wouldn't count them out! (unless you have been accepted to a texas school then you're probably better off accepting that offer than waiting to hear back from OSU) One of the residents I work with got in with an MCAT of 22, IS but goes to show you that they accept people with a lower score than yours.

For those of you interviewing soon, check the OSU interview feedback page and prepare for as many questions on there as you can. The 5 drugs question isnt a joke, I got it. You will be able to see who is interviewing you beforehand so if you see Pharmacology or PhD next to one of your interviewer's name, there's a little hint right there. I was also asked name a disease caused by a bacteria, virus, and fungus. Other than that the only other unexpected question I heard of was "teach me something" and was asked to go to the whiteboard in the room. I interviewed in the last group of the day and all the M1 and M2 students came in and told us what to expect beforehand so I wouldn't be worried at all. Everyone there wants everyone to succeed, it is an awesome environment.

Other than those questions, everything is very very laid back and it felt like the interviewers were talking to each other more than me at times. Relax, be yourself, and enjoy getting to know your interviewers. I think this interview was the best one I've had to date so don't stress over it!
Those questions sound horrible.

Anything I can do to express continued interest in the school if we haven't heard a thing? Kansas resident.

Those questions sound horrible.
hahaha they are a little specific and not necessarily pertaining to your ability to be a doctor, but I just prepared answers that related to me. That way I could easier recall from experiences rather than trying to memorize something that has nothing to do with me. I think they just want to see how you think on your feet (if you're not prepared for the question).

You can also give the admissions office a call asking for an update on the status of your application and then say how you are very interested in the school and would love an opportunity to interview there. Something along the lines of expressing interest without sounding like a complete suck-up.

Anything I can do to express continued interest in the school if we haven't heard a thing? Kansas resident.

There's a section in the secondary portal where you can upload an update letter or grades.

Anybody else get any questions like this?? These are very specific haha. If one had not taken pharmacology previously this would be very difficult to answer in my opinion.