Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I spoke with the admissions office and they said they would start looking at applications next Monday for interviews. I hope that's accurate, I'm gettin' antsy

Thanks for getting some info! But they really took their time...

Members don't see this ad.

I spoke with the admissions office and they said they would start looking at applications next Monday for interviews. I hope that's accurate, I'm gettin' antsy

Same. I just called them and Monday they will begin the review for ii's. woohoo

Same. I just called them and Monday they will begin the review for ii's. woohoo

Yay. I got the Banner ID, btw. Hey guys...guess what? The MCAT sucks. I am retaking in January and have been taking a Kaplan prep course over the last few weeks. I just made a 29 on AAMC 10. Oh yes that couldn't happen on the real one could it. :thumbdown:

*Imagining how much easier this cycle would be with a 29/3.85 than a 23/3.85

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yay. I got the Banner ID, btw. Hey guys...guess what? The MCAT sucks. I am retaking in January and have been taking a Kaplan prep course over the last few weeks. I just made a 29 on AAMC 10. Oh yes that couldn't happen on the real one could it. :thumbdown:

*Imagining how much easier this cycle would be with a 29/3.85 than a 23/3.85

That surprises me a 23 would hurt you too much, seeing that your gpa is so high. I took the kaplan course and thought it was great, especially because I too am a post-bac/ non-trad student. My total score went up 8 points from the diagnostic to my last practice exam (23 to 31). IRL I panicked during PS and my score shows it, but the VR and BS were right on target with my kaplan practice mcats, so I guess I was fine with it. You'll do great.

So I signed into Banner and saw that one of my letters was marked "without letterhead and not signed" but I sent it through Interfolio. All of my letters have been sent this way and I never had a problem. Did this happen to anyone else? I did three science letters as opposed to a committee letter.

So I signed into Banner and saw that one of my letters was marked "without letterhead and not signed" but I sent it through Interfolio. All of my letters have been sent this way and I never had a problem. Did this happen to anyone else? I did three science letters as opposed to a committee letter.

It didn't happen to me, but when interfolio got my LORs, I specifically called them to ask about letterhead and signature on all my letters. Profs are busy and some might become forgetful; a LOR is not valid w/o a signature and official letterhead so I recommend calling them and ask if one of your letters is missing that. They are very cool and have very good customer service, They'll tell you what up. If indeed the LOR is wrong, call your writer to correct and resend to intefolio.

So it's Monday...time to start waiting for that 678 area code phone call

This kind of happened to me. I called a couple of weeks ago to neurotically check to make sure my application was complete after seeing everything in banner web. I'm glad I called though, because they told me that one of my letters wasn't on a letterhead and wouldn't be considered. This was a required science professor, so I definitely had to get back with my professor to ask him to redo it.

So when we log in to Banner, as long as we have a date under "Received" for each item, we are good to go? (I never got a "complete" email. Did anyone else?)

So when we log in to Banner, as long as we have a date under "Received" for each item, we are good to go? (I never got a "complete" email. Did anyone else?)

Getting the banner ID means you are complete and they have everything (except letters if they aren't marked as recieved). Also if you sent your letters through interfolio it shows up on banner just as one letter (as in a letter packet).

Interview invite via email this morning!! Woohoo!! I'll be there Friday, October 11. :love:

I actually received 2 emails, the first one for an invite on Saturday the 12th. I called admissions asking which one it was and she said the Saturday date was an error. So if anyone gets two emails with two dates, any weekend date is an error. :oops:

Interview invite via email this morning!! Woohoo!! I'll be there Friday, October 11. :love:

I actually received 2 emails, the first one for an invite on Saturday the 12th. I called admissions asking which one it was and she said the Saturday date was an error. So if anyone gets two emails with two dates, any weekend date is an error. :oops:

Congrats!!!!!! Glad they are getting a roll on!

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats! when did you submit and when were you complete?

Last edited:
Congrats! when were you complete?

I submitted the secondary on September 12. Everything else (fee, letters, MCAT) was received prior to that according to Banner.

I submitted the secondary on September 12. Everything else (fee, letters, MCAT) was received prior to that according to Banner.

Wow, late!! They must like you :love:

Got an interview invite this morning for October 11. I was so depressed and this just made my month! I submitted early in June and was complete (awaiting mcat scores) on Sept 2nd. I'm a Georgia resident.

Congrats! Mind sharing the stats? (totally cool if you don't)

ii this morning here too! Pretty stoked.

For anyone wondering, I was complete mid August, GA resident.

ii this morning! see you october 11th!

Got a ii for October 11th! GA resident 3.68/26
It was in a my spam folder make sure you check people

ii too :) also found in my junk mail! See you all October 11th!!!!!

At least I'm not as sad because i'm not a GA resident.. there's still hope!

Congrats everyone!! So exciting :]

Last edited:
ii this morning for Oct 11th, but can't make it!!! Completed everything in July. GA resident. I will reschedule. Hopefully someone else gets my spot for this date. Good luck guys!

Congrats to all! Can you all post complete dates for all those who got ii?

I was complete sometime in July. Georgia resident as well.

At least I'm not as sad because i'm not a GA resident.. there's still hope!

Congrats everyone!! So exciting :]

Lots of hope! I'm pretty sure this is the first interview date which means there are MANY to come. Stay positive!

Congrats to everyone who has received ii's! I am very excited about this school (my WHOLE family lives within 20 minutes, including my wife's family) and look forward to meeting you all. Does anyone know ANYTHING about the clinical aspect? Rotations/where they are? It is almost impossible to find any information. Can any current students chime in here or anyone who has heard anything about rotations?

Congrats to everyone who has received ii's! I am very excited about this school (my WHOLE family lives within 20 minutes, including my wife's family) and look forward to meeting you all. Does anyone know ANYTHING about the clinical aspect? Rotations/where they are? It is almost impossible to find any information. Can any current students chime in here or anyone who has heard anything about rotations?

I am not a current student but I currently am interning at Atlanta Medical Center and have heard of PCOM students rotating through there but I cannot comment on exactly what department

Interview Invite OOS might not be able to make it that date so might be going to someone else soon!

I got an II. It was in my spam folder, so I would suggest checking there. OOS

Last edited:
does anyone know admissions stats? (i.e. number of secondaries, number of interviews, number of acceptances)

I shadowed at Barrow Regional Medical Center (http://www.barrowregional.com/) back in 2011 or 2012. It's located in Winder, GA and I was told it is the only hospital in Barrow County, which is quite rural for those unfamiliar with the area. While there, I met two current students who were doing rotations there. One was a 4th year doing paperwork (SOAP, specifically :rolleyes:) from his rounds that morning, and one was a 3rd year who scrubbed into a routine orthopedic surgery I got to watch. The surgeon (a DO by the way!) let the 3rd year suture the patient back up.

This is all I remember/know about clinical rotations at GA-PCOM, but Barrow Regional was a very modern and friendly place from what I remember.

You can get AALLLL of this info by searching the internet and PCOM website btw. (this search took all of 30 seconds) Hope these are the answers you are searching for! good luck :luck:

1. From the PCOM-GA website under "FAQs"
Q. Where will I do my clerkships?
A: PCOM considers the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the state of Georgia as its campuses. Third and fourth year clinical clerkships take place in affiliated hospitals, five health care centers and in numerous outpatient facilities and physicians' offices, in both rural and urban settings. It is also possible to arrange elective rotations throughout the U.S. and around the world. For more information about clinical rotationshttp://www.pcom.edu/Clinical_Education/clinical_education.html <<<Click there. click on the top left of the page where it says "affiliate list".

2. Locally... Duluth << click for article

3. Previous Year SDN user "nfh21500" says:
"It does change quite a bit year to year, but this year most of the class (50%) will stay in the area at local hospitals and clinics. For the rest, there are sites in Alabama through AMEC (http://www.amecdo.com), tracks throughout Georgia (warner robins, Rome, and others), plus a handful of spots in West palm beach. That being said, they are constantly working on different spots, so by the time you get to that point it could be something completely different.
Note that these are for core rotations. For electives/selectives, there is a list of hospitals several pages long that you can choose from if you want to go somewhere else. At that point, its really up to you where you want to go."

4. Previous Year Thread SDN user "Night Hawk" says:

"Admissions told me they don't publish a list because it is constantly changing..."

5. Osteopathic Institute of the south <<< Click this link to see a FEW specific GA sites.

6. From a previous SDN thread 2008 posted by user "UNCLori07 " says:
No, we don't share rotation sites with Philadelphia - we have our own in Atlanta. And although I haven't done my rotations yet, I think I can tell you that thus far all of the clinical professors that teach at our school and have students from the school rotating with them have said that they have been very impressed with our students. I don't think our students are looked down upon for any reason.
As far as the rotation sites are concerned, the main rotation sites (core rotation sites) that we have are at Gwinnett Medical, Dekalb Medical, Floyd Medical, Columbus Regional, St. Francis, Houston Medical.....ummm Warner Robins, Albany, Rowan Regional (NC), Greenwood (SC), and our students are also able to apply for rotations in Ohio (Richmond Heights I believe). There's a Florida track in West Palm and an Alabama track in Montgomery I believe that students can choose to do as well. In those tracks you would stay in that location for the duration of your 3rd year rotations. And although we don't have rotations at Grady and the like, I think having rotations where you are the only student working with an attending has some huge benefits - like being first assist on surgeries rather than retracting or watching like you do at some of the big hospitals where there are residents learning along side of you as well. Just my opinion though. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Just reschduled my ii from 10/11/13 to 11/4/13 :(:(:( cuz of a family thing
Good luck guys!

Oh does anyone know what is the class size exactly?

Just reschduled my ii from 10/11/13 to 11/4/13 :(:(:( cuz of a family thing
Good luck guys!

Oh does anyone know what is the class size exactly?

135. The website for the "american association of colleges of osteopathic medicine" has basic information on all DO schools. Things like class size, tuition, etc.

For those who got interview invites for October 11th, have you gotten an email back about your confirmation that you will be going?

I found it in my spam folder. I was so excited I forgot it probably went to my spam haha, which is ironic since I was the first to say check your junk folder. Maybe that's something we should bring up to them.

Hi sino,

I am a current student at PCOM-GA. Our rotation sites are unfortunately constantly in flux, but in general the rotation tracks available for 3rd year core rotations are:

J-Track (Technically the Atlanta area track, but can send you an 1-1.5 hour+ away for some rotations)
or
West Palm, FL
Montgomery, AL
Dothan, AL
Birmingham, AL
Warner Robbins, GA
Columbus, GA
Rome, GA
Ellijay, GA
Dalton, GA
Albany, GA

Keep in mind that highly desired tracks (like West Palm) only have ~6 slots and these go very quickly in the rotation lottery so don't bet on getting a shot at them.

I am happy to answer any questions anyone may have.