***The Official NYU Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Is there a Facebook group for accepted students?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No facebook, can anyone tell me how many seats are still available? I still haven't heard anything about an interview, so I am full blown tripping out.

Reactions: 1 user
No facebook, can anyone tell me how many seats are still available? I still haven't heard anything about an interview, so I am full blown tripping out.

Just turned down my invite for an interview so hopefully you'll hear something from them soon - good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
When did you get an invite to interview? Also were you invited to interview for March or April?

I got an email from them on friday at 5:00pm ...I called/emailed today to decline their invitation so I don't know what days are available

I'll be out of the country for the only days they have available (last week of March). Told me to reply to the invitation email with a few dates in early April that would work and they'll do their best to work with me. Very happy they're willing to help me out. Told me it might not be a normal interview day but they'll do their best.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted via email. I'm super bummed because NYU became my top choice after i visited the school. I interviewed Feb 26 so it seems like they are on top of notifying people

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted to NYU today, I interviewed on 2/25...feeling relieved!
For those still waiting - keep the hope / I had not heard back from them and emailed them in beginning of Feb, received an invite a few days later and now an acceptance!

Reactions: 5 users
Waitlisted via email. I'm super bummed because NYU became my top choice after i visited the school. I interviewed Feb 26 so it seems like they are on top of notifying people
Make sure you let them know how much you want to go. Good luck to you!

Did you tell them so via thank you correspondence? Otherwise, have you emailed Dr. Mejia about how much the tour moved you? I like that you like it so much. I am very partial to NYUCD as I spent my earliest years and most of my weekends in Manhattan and the bulk of my family and closest friends are in the area. According to the forums they like to know how much you like them and if you have any ties in the area that would indicate that you are very likely to accept an offer of admission.

Hi - was wondering if those that were accepted earlier in the cycle can give any advice on info you have learned about housing near NYU and the financial aid process? I feel like there are so many decisions to make in a short amount of time. Thanks for any help!

Any more tips for upcoming interviews here? I applied extremely late this cycle and received an invite for NYU yesterday. I haven't interviewed anywhere else and am really nervous. I've searched on here for tips but would appreciate any more advice from those who have interviewed this cycle :)

Any more tips for upcoming interviews here? I applied extremely late this cycle and received an invite for NYU yesterday. I haven't interviewed anywhere else and am really nervous. I've searched on here for tips but would appreciate any more advice from those who have interviewed this cycle :)
Actually, just relax and be yourself. They wanna see who you really are and your personality, and no trick questions. Get good sleep before interview. Good luck to your interview!!!

Reactions: 3 users

I probably can't help you very much about financial aid as I'm using a 3 year HPSP scholarship in conjunction with another partial. Your options are mostly loans, national health service corps, Indian health service, loan repayment/forgiveness programs for primary care in underserved areas, HPSP and military service repayment (not nearly as good a deal as HPSP). There are also some scholarships available to people after D1 or that are area specific. Harvard has a scholarship specifically for people from Westchester County as an example. You'd need to look those up. From a quick glance, possible scholarships include the Paul and Daisy Soros Foundation (for people with a green card, both parents weren't born here, or are naturalized citizens under the age of 31), Harry S Truman (for current undergraduate juniors committed to serving public health), directly from the ADEA, and the Chinese American Medical Society. I'm sure there are more out there. The last two are pretty small but every bit helps. Also, if you do research you can get sponsorships to attend conventions and such, probably prizes too.

A lot of students like to rent around Kips Bay, Stuy-Town, and if you're lucky, Gramercy Park. Some brave souls commute from Staten Island, Queens, and Brooklyn. NYUCD does not have any dedicated student housing nor do married couples or people with children have access to the campus housing for families according to Joanne Dunbar (associate director of financial aid and support services). Chinatown is a decent commute and price if you live by the 6 as it has become very gentrified in the last 5 years but lots of walkups.

The housing market moves much faster leading up to the start of school and if it's been on the market for more than a few weeks without an occupant, there's usually a major issue like charging elevator building prices for a 6th floor walkup. Another issue is that some places are only known if you go through a broker and they're often obnoxious. From what I've seen, an ideal situation might be splitting one of the bigger apartments in Gramercy Park as I've seen some 2-4 bedrooms that would come out to under 1500 per student, maybe even 1000/month per person which is more efficient than 2-3k for a studio or one bedroom in the same area for one person. I've also heard good things about MyGradPad which I think is a combination roommate and apartment finding service. Otherwise it's worth looking at apartments.com or streeteasy.com as your move-in date nears. You can try looking about a month before you plan to arrive as some landlords advertise apartments that will be available soon to drum up interest.

If you are moving in around late July through mid August and the place is good, be prepared to commit rather quickly. A lot of places expect some kind of deposit or application fee. Be mindful of amenities like elevators, laundry facility, dishwasher, pets allowed or not, pool, gym/rec center, internet readiness, superintendent, and so forth. You'll most likely want an elevator at least. I imagine a 6th floor walk up will get old very quickly when you roll in sometime in the evening to go to bed.

As for interviewing advice, if you can, bring something you've made that you're really proud of. It's nice to have something to show them that you can't convey in your application. The students at lunch are very friendly, don't be afraid to ask questions, and maybe get to know some of the people in the room with you. Odds are that some of them are going to be among your classmates come August. I was actually very disappointed that everyone in my group dissipated so swiftly after the tour was over.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Did you tell them so via thank you correspondence? Otherwise, have you emailed Dr. Mejia about how much the tour moved you? I like that you like it so much. I am very partial to NYUCD as I spent my earliest years and most of my weekends in Manhattan and the bulk of my family and closest friends are in the area. According to the forums they like to know how much you like them and if you have any ties in the area that would indicate that you are very likely to accept an offer of admission.

Yes, I did indicate in my thank you email to my interviewer that NYU is my top choice. I haven't emailed Dr. Mejia yet, but I plan on it. Any other advice you have? Like how often I should keep contacting them to show interest?

Dont "try" to impress during your interview because then you will get nervous and get all worked up, as everyone says NYU is one of the most chill interviews. Its short, around 10-15 minutes, get there early and be done quick. The questions are very predictable, mostly the ones found on the interview feedback section of this forum, so you won't get any strange questions. Good Luck!

Yes, I did indicate in my thank you email to my interviewer that NYU is my top choice. I haven't emailed Dr. Mejia yet, but I plan on it. Any other advice you have? Like how often I should keep contacting them to show interest?

I only messaged the office of admissions and my individual interview once each initially the evening after my interview then I checked with the office of admissions a week later to ensure that my interviewer had received my correspondence. I don't know how often to contact them to let them know your interest.

Anyone know the ballpark range for the number of waitlistees and number of waitlistees getting accepted from previous years?

Accepted 3/3 (interviewed 2/26) but am giving up the spot for my in-state school. Had a great time interviewing at NYU though. The interview is not stressful. Mine was about 40 minutes and I was the last to interview of my group (I got there right at 8am, oops). The guy had my file out which was a little scary but he didn't call out any of my bad grades - just wanted to know why I was interested in dentistry and how serious I was. It was very conversational. You get to eat lunch with a current student and ours was awesome - best student lunch of any interview I've had. He was very honest but we could tell he had a great experience at NYU. Dr. Mejia is great. Also a straight shooter and funny too. She said they still have "several" seats open. If you're trying to get an interview or get off the wait list, I would email or call them and express your interest - they are receptive to that. Best of luck to all!

Oh also, Dr. Mejia doesn't read her emails so you need to email it to someone else in admissions. Perhaps just the main admissions email - I'm looking at the card of the guy I interviewed with and I was going to say PM me for his email but he doesn't even have a personal email listed.

Accepted 3/3 (interviewed 2/26) but am giving up the spot for my in-state school. Had a great time interviewing at NYU though. The interview is not stressful. Mine was about 40 minutes and I was the last to interview of my group (I got there right at 8am, oops). The guy had my file out which was a little scary but he didn't call out any of my bad grades - just wanted to know why I was interested in dentistry and how serious I was. It was very conversational. You get to eat lunch with a current student and ours was awesome - best student lunch of any interview I've had. He was very honest but we could tell he had a great experience at NYU. Dr. Mejia is great. Also a straight shooter and funny too. She said they still have "several" seats open. If you're trying to get an interview or get off the wait list, I would email or call them and express your interest - they are receptive to that. Best of luck to all!

Hey you were in my interview group right? I interviewed 2/26 as well, although I got waitlisted. I was the guy from Seattle

Hey you were in my interview group right? I interviewed 2/26 as well, although I got waitlisted. I was the guy from Seattle

Hey! Yep, I was the girl from Virginia in the light gray suit. I liked our interview group - very friendly. Are you going to write NYU a letter of intent?

I think if you want to email Dr. Mejia you should email the main admissions email and ask them to forward it to her. Remember how she said she gets thousands of emails and she's bad at going through them? (Although who would enjoy that??) And she also said she is most accessible by phone from 7am-8am EST, which unfortunately is crazy early for you, but you could try reaching her by phone?

Interviewed on Monday the 2nd, just got my acceptance email yesterday afternoon! Quick turnaround-very excited for this!

Interviewed on Monday the 2nd, just got my acceptance email yesterday afternoon! Quick turnaround-very excited for this!

Congrats! I was in your group on March 2nd, but unfortunately I got waitlisted. Did you send in a letter of interest or anything else after the interview?

Congrats! I was in your group on March 2nd, but unfortunately I got waitlisted. Did you send in a letter of interest or anything else after the interview?
Just a brief thank you to my interviewer, which also went out yesterday morning. There's still time-best of luck!

Congrats! Are you going to attend? I was accepted this week as well I really like that they actually get back to you when they say they will, I've been really impressed with NYU so far. Maybe I'll see you in August!

Just scheduled my interview for Monday March 16th!!! Thanks @Wolfpack1488 !! Can't wait!

Reactions: 6 users
In terms of housing, a lot of students tend to rent apartments in Peter Cooper/Stuy Town, or at Waterside Plaza. Both are very close to the school.

If anyone winds up going for Waterside Plaza, PM me. They give a $1000 referral if you put a current resident's name on your application and move in, and it's customary that the person splits it 50/50 with the person moving in. :)

How often should a waitlistee reach out to admissions regarding his interest in the school? What is the best form of communication? Should I talk with my interviewer?

How often should a waitlistee reach out to admissions regarding his interest in the school? What is the best form of communication? Should I talk with my interviewer?
When did you interview?

Hey, can anyone tell me about how long it took to receive the acceptance package in the mail? Thanks

Hey, can anyone tell me about how long it took to receive the acceptance package in the mail? Thanks

I live in the bronx and got the package 2 days later.

Is any one else having trouble with setting up the nyu email? I was able to activate my NETid but not the nyu Google apps.

Still waitinglisted...what number did you guys call to reach out Dr. Mejia directly or email?

Is any one else having trouble with setting up the nyu email? I was able to activate my NETid but not the nyu Google apps.

I was just told this morning, "If you continue to have issues, please call ITS at 212-998-3333." I have been experiencing that same problem.

Edit: I called and was told that the trouble is that I'm still a "student applicant" and that the set up email came prematurely. I was told to give it another week and hopefully the status change will happen.

Last edited:

I'm sorry to hear :\ any idea why they would have waitlisted you? When I interviewed it felt difficult to imagine being waitlisted because the interviewers were so friendly. I wonder if they review your grades/EC's/DAT again and consider that for acceptance. What were your stats by chance?

I was accepted to NYU today, I interviewed on 2/25...feeling relieved!
For those still waiting - keep the hope / I had not heard back from them and emailed them in beginning of Feb, received an invite a few days later and now an acceptance!

Congrats! Do you think your interview was definitely the biggest factor in why you got accepted? I've been hearing applicants are getting waitlisted. I feel like my interview went fantastic because my interviewer, Dr. Elson, was so kind to me and made it really conversational but reading how students are getting waitlisted I'm beginning to worry. I wonder if they consider grades/DAT/EC's again when they consider for acceptance?

Anyone else who interviewed have Dr. Elson as their interviewer?

:biglove:
I'm sorry to hear :\ any idea why they would have waitlisted you? When I interviewed it felt difficult to imagine being waitlisted because the interviewers were so friendly. I wonder if they review your grades/EC's/DAT again and consider that for acceptance. What were your stats by chance?

Congrats! Do you think your interview was definitely the biggest factor in why you got accepted? I've been hearing applicants are getting waitlisted. I feel like my interview went fantastic because my interviewer, Dr. Elson, was so kind to me and made it really conversational but reading how students are getting waitlisted I'm beginning to worry. I wonder if they consider grades/DAT/EC's again when they consider for acceptance?

Anyone else who interviewed have Dr. Elson as their interviewer?
I'm not sure what the biggest factor is, I feel like everyone who gets interviewed is someone they see potential in and I guess the interview just confirms for them whether you would be a good fit for the program and for the class they are filling. My interviewer told me not to be surprised if I was waitlisted that many people are and if you really want to attend just call after and let them know, I was lucky enough to be accepted right away but I would definitely encourage those waitlisted to make it known to NYU that you really want to attend and why you would be a good fit. Best of luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear good news. Only a few short weeks away from people having to submit a bigger deposit so you should all be hearing real soon.

I still have not received my acceptance package in the mail yet. I only live a few states away... it has been a week should I call or do you think they just haven't sent it out yet? Is there anything in there that we need to submit right away? I saw in the email the form to send your deposit and reply back but just wondering if there is anything else I should be expecting in this packet? Thanks

I still have not received my acceptance package in the mail yet. I only live a few states away... it has been a week should I call or do you think they just haven't sent it out yet? Is there anything in there that we need to submit right away? I saw in the email the form to send your deposit and reply back but just wondering if there is anything else I should be expecting in this packet? Thanks

It took about a week to receive mine after I got the acceptance email so I suspect yours will be arriving very soon!