****The Official UNC Class of 2018 Thread****

Also had a PID, never taken classes at UNC, and didn't get a call today

Members don't see this ad.

For what it's worth, the person who told me I'd been denied said the adcom meeting took place yesterday (Feb. 3rd). I don't think there's any hope this cycle unless you're near the top of the wait list.

Last edited:
Thanks Glimmer for updating on here for me! I'm SOO excited!! Congrats to those who heard back yesterday too :) I really hope there are some final calls today for a few others.

Edit: I just wanted to let you guys know that my AADSAS status updated this morning!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i was accepted but my aadsas didn't change. anyone else like that? won't believe it unless i see it

Looks like it is officially over. I feel like such a fool for applying here twice and getting an interview twice and getting denied twice. Oh well, NC loses two future practitioners who wanted to work with the under-served and two NC residents. No wonder NC is one of the most dentally and medically under-served states in the U.S. At least when you shun the top of your in-state talent other schools are bound to notice. Thank God I got into a better school and better dental program that really focuses on the under-served and does not just say it! But I will miss the weather for sure. University of Michigan - Go Blue!

I'm sorry...I didn't get in either.

Did you aadsas change to rejected?

Looks like it is officially over. I feel like such a fool for applying here twice and getting an interview twice and getting denied twice. Oh well, NC loses two future practitioners who wanted to work with the under-served and two NC residents. No wonder NC is one of the most dentally and medically under-served states in the U.S. At least when you shun the top of your in-state talent other schools are bound to notice. Thank God I got into a better school and better dental program that really focuses on the under-served and does not just say it! But I will miss the weather for sure. University of Michigan - Go Blue![/quo

Last edited:
I'm sorry...I didn't get in either.

Did you aadsas change to rejected?
No it still says under review. But it is a rejection for sure. If you did not get a call the best you can hope for is wait list. Hope this info helps. Sorry you did not get the call either. My wife is in the PA program at Duke School of Medicine and similarly she was from Ohio and her state schools did not want her and instead she got into the #1 program in her field. Likewise I will be happy to go to #3 instead of #8 since my state school does not want me either; I am also stoked about the scholarship they gave me!

I feel your pain. I have applied 3 times to UNC and have received interviews and have been denied three times. I am still holding on that I at least get wait listed. I am at the five year mark where my undergrad grades become unusable and for me to apply again I would have to retake all my prereqs. I do understand your frustration. I of course have some decisions to make. This is something I have always wanted to do. I am glad you at least got in somewhere. It could be worse .Good
Luck in Michigan.

Looks like it is officially over. I feel like such a fool for applying here twice and getting an interview twice and getting denied twice. Oh well, NC loses two future practitioners who wanted to work with the under-served and two NC residents. No wonder NC is one of the most dentally and medically under-served states in the U.S. At least when you shun the top of your in-state talent other schools are bound to notice. Thank God I got into a better school and better dental program that really focuses on the under-served and does not just say it! But I will miss the weather for sure. University of Michigan - Go Blue![/quote

Oh man I'm sorry guys...I wish I could empathize but me only being rejected once doesn't compare. Did you apply elsewhere alltimed3? I hope you get in somewhere!

I feel your pain. I have applied 3 times to UNC and have received interviews and have been denied three times. I am still holding on that I at least get wait listed. I am at the five year mark where my undergrad grades become unusable and for me to apply again I would have to retake all my prereqs. I do understand your frustration. I of course have some decisions to make. This is something I have always wanted to do. I am glad you at least got in somewhere. It could be worse .Good
Luck in Michigan.

actually (and i've never posted before, but i did get in to UNC), my prereq classes were more than five years old, and I applied and got in - don't loose hope! you will be successful!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like it is officially over. I feel like such a fool for applying here twice and getting an interview twice and getting denied twice. Oh well, NC loses two future practitioners who wanted to work with the under-served and two NC residents. No wonder NC is one of the most dentally and medically under-served states in the U.S. At least when you shun the top of your in-state talent other schools are bound to notice. Thank God I got into a better school and better dental program that really focuses on the under-served and does not just say it! But I will miss the weather for sure. University of Michigan - Go Blue!

I'd go to UofM over UNC any day. UNC clearly has communication issues, and doesn't seem to have much respect for their in-state applicant pool unless you've applied multiple times or done their MED program. I was shocked that I didn't get accepted after my interview, but I was accepted at what I consider to be a far better school. I think it comes down to ego with UNC, even saying during the presentation that they are officially and unofficially ranked the number one dental school in the country! Pretty outrageous, and obviously not true, because there aren't official rankings. Big congrats on Michigan; that's a amazing school!

I feel your pain. I have applied 3 times to UNC and have received interviews and have been denied three times. I am still holding on that I at least get wait listed. I am at the five year mark where my undergrad grades become unusable and for me to apply again I would have to retake all my prereqs.
I met a young lady who had recently been admitted to UNC, who was a hygienist at a periodontist that I was shadowing, and she was more than 5-yrs removed from her university training. She was denied one year, and was told to take just a couple classes, so she enrolled in two distance ed. summer classes and some fall classes, and she got in that next year. NCSU, ECU, UNC-G, and I think even UNC itself offer distance ed. classes. I'm taking Microbiology and a genetics class through NCSU this semester actually, since I wagered (perhaps correctly) that I wouldn't get in anywhere this cycle. I just finished my classes in 2013, though.

Nevertheless, it would be far better to talk to someone in the admissions department about what you can do to mitigate this, if you haven't already. That's just one anecdote.

I'd go to UofM over UNC any day. UNC clearly has communication issues, and doesn't seem to have much respect for their in-state applicant pool unless you've applied multiple times or done their MED program. I was shocked that I didn't get accepted after my interview, but I was accepted at what I consider to be a far better school. I think it comes down to ego with UNC, even saying during the presentation that they are officially and unofficially ranked the number one dental school in the country! Pretty outrageous, and obviously not true, because there aren't official rankings. Big congrats on Michigan; that's a amazing school!
Realistically though, they get 1,500-odd applications, and end up with 250+ who they would absolutely love to take, but they only have 81 spots. They could drop the top ~200 application folders down 5 flights of stairs, and pick 81 of them up at random to make a stellar class. That is, however, quite spectacular to get into UMich and UMD.

I definitely got the same vibe! Thank you!

U of M and UNC from my understanding are on the same playing field

Just checked and my aadsas officially changed to denied. This puts to rest the PID theory though, because I had one, had not taken classes at unc, and got denied. Congrats to all that got in

Sorry girl... they are looking for at least a 29AA now. ((hugs))

SERIOUSLY WUT

Admisssions is ~*~*~*~*sooooooo~*~*~*~*~ weird.

Thanks for the kind words!
Lol I think it might have had something to do with my interview. One of my faculty interviewers was like 25 mins late... leaving me with less than 5 min for an interview. Not my fault but I'm sure that didn't increase my chances!

Thanks for the kind words!
Lol I think it might have had something to do with my interview. One of my faculty interviewers was like 25 mins late... leaving me with less than 5 min for an interview. Not my fault but I'm sure that didn't increase my chances!

Surely to goodness they wouldn't hold that against you.

I firmly believe that schools reject people they do not think will actually attend. You see this happening to people with ultra awesome applications far too much for it to be a coincidence.

Application denied.

Congrats to everyone that was accepted! I met some amazing people during my interview process and firmly believed everyone was worthy. Good luck next year! :)

At some point we should produce a summary of this thread, full of stuff that will help the class of 2019 folks, like the debunking of the PID myth, the "end of January" procedure with the adcom meeting, times of days that people were called, whether there were any December calls after Dec. 2nd, etc...how long it takes AADSAS to update so that people don't keep wondering. Anything that can take some uncertainty out of the process. Then we should open the c/o 2019 class thread with that stuff.

Also, holy hell, 2019 seems like a long way away. Lots of flying car potential there.

Last edited:
Status updated to wait listed...anyone know anything about unc's wait list?

Status updated to wait listed...anyone know anything about unc's wait list?

UNC's c/o 2012 class President, who is now doing a pediatrics residency snuck in off the wait list, I believe in April. Other than that, I've got nothing.

Thanks for the info techyguy!

I probably won't be accepting my spot on the wait list because I also got accepted to Univ. of Maryland yesterday. So at least that will free up one seat for someone!! Good luck to all those wait listed!

I probably won't be accepting my spot on the wait list because I also got accepted to Univ. of Maryland yesterday. So at least that will free up one seat for someone!! Good luck to all those wait listed!

Would UNC not be a whole lot cheaper, or are you OOS?

It would definitely be cheaper. I've grown up right down the road from UNC and it's a great program too. But I feel strongly that Maryland is the best school for me personally. And I'd rather give someone who hasn't received an acceptance from a school a chance to have the seat. I am considering doing the military repayment option and just trying to think in the long term financially haha!!

Reactions: 1 users

It's fairly easy to gain residency in maryland so you'll only be paying OOS tuition for 1 year. With that in mind, the overall cost difference between unc and maryland isn't very significant.

It's fairly easy to gain residency in maryland so you'll only be paying OOS tuition for 1 year. With that in mind, the overall cost difference between unc and maryland isn't very significant.

Good point! My fiancé and I are ready to purchase our first home, so I think that should make it easier to gain residency too.

Good point! My fiancé and I are ready to purchase our first home, so I think that should make it easier to gain residency too.

Absolutely. My wife and I just bought a condo in Baltimore, and now I'm working on getting my license there to start the timer on the one year waiting period. It looks like we'll be classmates next semester!

I lived in Columbia, MD for a little while, and I grew to absolutely love that area. I loved being so close to DC, and I, for one, really liked Baltimore. I adopted the O's as my baseball team. UMD was going to be a close second for me if I got accepted into every school to which I applied, just from having lived around there, but I digress.

does anyone have any idea about how many people they usually put on the wait list? and then how many people tend to actually get off of the wait list? They did tell me that anyone on the wait list can find out during the period from March 3rd-school starting. Otherwise they are pretty vague. And I'm assuming it is an unranked list- so does that mean they meet whenever spots open up to fill the seats?

Anyone of you who filed for financial aid at UNC submit a CSS profile? I submitted a FAFSA but nothing else..

Anyone of you who filed for financial aid at UNC submit a CSS profile? I submitted a FAFSA but nothing else..

I wrote the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid about this just yesterday. They responded with, "The CSS Profile is for undergraduate students only. Graduate dental students do not need to complete a CSS Profile."

So yes, it looks like it is just for undergrad. They are really great about answering questions through the email option to communicate on the website. I really recommend it, since the phone lines aren't as reliable. Hope this helped!

Got the call this morning from Dr. Wilder!! Pulled off the waitlist! Dream come true

Reactions: 2 users
Have you guys applied for the FELS? I applied months ago and it said they wouldn't have results until the summer. I wonder, though, if there is ever an instance where someone applies and doesn't receive it...

does anyone have any news/info about movement on the wait list?

I found out about 10 minutes ago that I was awarded the FELS. YAY! I thought they weren't going to release the results until mid-June.

Hi guys,
For those who have sent checks for the supplemental application ($84), what did you write in the section "Pay to the order of"

Hi guys,
For those who have sent checks for the supplemental application ($84), what did you write in the section "Pay to the order of"

This is last year's thread. :D

However, you probably make it out to: UNC - School of Dentistry. Make sure you weren't given other instructions, though!