Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Will they send you a confirmation email, regarding received letters of recommendation?

Members don't see this ad.

In the email for the secondary, they said that my previously submitted letters have already been added to my file. They were uploaded to Virtual Evals a long time ago. I also received an email saying all required materials had been received after I completed the secondary.

Do we have to send our LOR with the secondary? Or can we wait until we are invited to an interview? And how come I can't find Touro-CA on Interfolio?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we have to send our LOR with the secondary? Or can we wait until we are invited to an interview? And how come I can't find Touro-CA on Interfolio?

Yup, LoRs are required as part of the secondary.

In the email for the secondary, they said that my previously submitted letters have already been added to my file. They were uploaded to Virtual Evals a long time ago. I also received an email saying all required materials had been received after I completed the secondary.
Did you you add the names of your letter writers to the "Apply Yourself" secondary application or did you just skip this part since the previous email said your letters were already added to your file? Thanks!

I did not add the names. I went back to see if I should, and I don't even seem to have a place to do it. The email I received says, "All required materials for your TUCOM CA applicant file have been received and your file is now complete and eligible for committee review" so I guess they figured it out.

How do I select TUCOM-CA on the secondary? I only get Harlem and Middletown in the drop down after selecting "TUORO College of Osteopathic Medicine" under Academic Plan

How do I select TUCOM-CA on the secondary? I only get Harlem and Middletown in the drop down after selecting "TUORO College of Osteopathic Medicine" under Academic Plan
you have to choose touro california

You should be okay. I got it with a 3.15 cGPA, 3.14 sGPA, 26 (8/8/10). I also have a masters degree in graduate biology, non-traditional, and disadvantaged. Strong LORs, TONS of clinical and volunteer experience, research experience, and a very compelling story. Good luck to you. Keep up hope and don't become discouraged.
Would you or any other current/former students care to share details about why you chose Touro? I'm not sure if I want to submit a secondary seeing as tuition and cost of living in California is pretty high. Also, I'm wondering why the averages are so significantly above other DO schools. Thanks!

It's strange because TOURO CA is not an option for me on the dropdown box
From what I can recall, in the very first drop down box, instead of picking college of osteopathic medicine, there's an option for Touro California. The second drop down box is where you pick osteopathic medicine. It's backwards for CA. Hope this helped!

Just reading this school's mission statement, there seems to be a great emphasis on Judaism in their education.

Can any Touro medical students or interviewing Touro applicants speak about this?

Just reading this school's mission statement, there seems to be a great emphasis on Judaism in their education.

Can any Touro medical students or interviewing Touro applicants speak about this?

I'm not a medical student or an applicant yet, but I went on a tour of the school and they mentioned (someone correct me if I'm wrong) some brief things like the school closing early on Fridays, Kosher cafeteria, special anatomy room doors, and getting the Jewish holidays off. It didn't seem as though Judaism was integrated into their curriculum, since it's not required that the professors/staff/students follow Judaism.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a medical student or an applicant yet, but I went on a tour of the school and they mentioned (someone correct me if I'm wrong) some brief things like the school closing early on Fridays, Kosher cafeteria, special anatomy room doors, and getting the Jewish holidays off. It didn't seem as though Judaism was integrated into their curriculum, since it's not required that the professors/staff/students follow Judaism.

Ah okay, thanks for your response.

I just got an email reminding me to submit the secondary. I've had it for less than a week. Anyone else?

anyone got an II yet or know when they start to send out IIs? I just got a complete email today after sending in everything on the 3rd.

I just got an email reminding me to submit the secondary. I've had it for less than a week. Anyone else?

A couple days after I submitted mine, they resent me a secondary invitation. I e-mailed Ms. Huckle and she informed me that sometimes these things overlap.... so I'm guessing don't think too much about it.

Has anyone completed the secondary yet? What is this resume we are supposed to upload?

Has anyone completed the secondary yet? What is this resume we are supposed to upload?
like a resume for a job...gpa, school, degree, shadow experience, leadership experience, clinical experience, volunteer, etc etc etc

Do we have to submit the unofficial transcript in the secondary online account? Since we already did that through aamcomas...this secondary is incredibly repetitive!!

Do we have to submit the unofficial transcript in the secondary online account? Since we already did that through aamcomas...this secondary is incredibly repetitive!!
No, That is optional. I found it to be more applicable to those applying to Touro for undergrad (they use the same application).

No, That is optional. I found it to be more applicable to those applying to Touro for undergrad (they use the same application).

Thanks for the response. What about recommendation list? should I just skip that too? I've sent the letters from school interfolio.

Thanks for the response. What about recommendation list? should I just skip that too? I've sent the letters from school interfolio.
I skipped it. It said my application was complete and could be submitted and that was without entering data in that section. if you notice, it is in a different area on the left tab and not with the application tabs.

Hi,

this is my first time applying to DO Schools and I am a little worried. I submitted my app around july 17th. I still have not heard anything back from the schools. This one included. Do D.O. schools have same verification timer period similar to AMCAS?

Hi,

this is my first time applying to DO Schools and I am a little worried. I submitted my app around july 17th. I still have not heard anything back from the schools. This one included. Do D.O. schools have same verification timer period similar to AMCAS?
You need to look at AACOMAS to check if you have been verified yet. The individual schools don't have anything to do with you being verified. Once verified, you will get an email that the schools have been sent your primary application. Then it is truly in the school's hands if they want to extend a secondary, and later an interview invite, your way.

You need to look at AACOMAS to check if you have been verified yet. The individual schools don't have anything to do with you being verified. Once verified, you will get an email that the schools have been sent your primary application. Then it is truly in the school's hands if they want to extend a secondary, and later an interview invite, your way.

Thank you! I was wondering if that was the case. I could not see where AACOMAS was on getting these verified so was having a small panic attack. I appreciate your feedback.

Does anyone know if we have to submit official transcripts to this school? I think I saw few lines of instruction that said we should, but I have never seen this request with other schools.

Working on this secondary now, and I am curious if there are any current students at TUCOM that could tell me what they like about the university. Or, if anyone knows what people like about the university. Any notions that could be shared would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I'm a first year Touro student. I really love the school, it was my first choice in the application process and I like it more now than when I started. If anyone wants to know more about the school and it's pros, I'm happy to answer PMs as I have time.
Some (but not all) of the biggest advantages of the school in my eyes were:
*Extremely good OMM program
*The school is very focused on taking care of and supporting the students.
*Very cool/friendly/supportive student base that feels like a family. The same can be said for the faculty.
*Available resources for exploring integrative medicine.

(Along with no major red flags)

I'm a student as well and I agree with the above poster. Definitely like the school a lot more than I thought I would (not gonna lie, I came in the school without that many expectations).

I think one of the great things about it is it feels like a close-knit community. You get to know all the professors well, and overall its a very supportive environment. We get a lot of guidance in OMM, anatomy, and doctoring labs from the faculty as well outside of lectures, so it really feels like they're there for you. I think one of the greatest things I like about Touro is also how chill the atmosphere and everyone is. All the classes aren't curved, so technically everyone can get an A theoretically. I also like how the faculty really try to make sure you're learning relevant stuff, and they're always adjusting their material based on what's tested on COMLEX/USMLE). Being a California school knowing that most of their students end up going to ACGME programs, its pretty nice how they dont ignore the USMLE.

Don't be turned off if you're worried that they'll force their Jewish beliefs on you. Even if you're not Jewish, I feel like there are a lot of pros to going to a Jewish school haha. The only thing that pretty much affects your life as a medical student is the fact that campus is closed (except the library, which stays open for study only) on Friday afternoons til Saturday evenings (which kinda nice because we get out of class early every Friday!), and the food is all kosher (which is pretty damn good, in my opinion). Besides that, we have a ton of random holidays, which is nice too! I think we literally have like an entire week and a half off in October.

If you guys have any other questions, feel free to message me.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm really interested in going to this school, but I have heard that the surrounding area can be a little bit sketchy? How do you guys feel? Have you ever worried about walking around at night?

Also, I noticed that they have international opportunities to do rotations aboard? Does anyone know much about that?

I just got verified this week. Should I submit letters of recommendation even though I haven't received a secondary yet? Or would it be better to wait until TUCOM opens a file on me and send me a secondary? Thanks!!

Some parts of vallejo are sketchy, mare island is not. Many of Touros students live on mare island.

anyone got a II yet? I thought i read last year that they send out IIs around mid-August

Under the post-secondary section, I realized only my grad-school appeared on the application, not my undergrad ( I must not have saved it or something and submitted it without that info). Do you think I should email Ms. Huckle to update my application?

II now via email - must call to schedule so not sure of dates yet. I was complete 7/18.

Reactions: 3 users
so..can we submit more than the three required LORs anyone?

II recieved today! I was complete recently. Props to Touro for the fast turnaround! LizzyM 70+, in-state. Good luck to everyone else still waiting for an II!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
II as well! Lizzy 64 OOS, West Coast is showing me lots of love :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I just got invited for an interview here earlier this week! :):)

any current students have any advice/suggestions? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user