University of Minnesota c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
32 on the out of state waitlist… seems out of reach

15 on OOS waitlist. Also unsure of if it moves that much. Can anyone speak from experience?
The OOS list moves a lot more than the IS waitlist due to people accepting their IS/other schools, so I wouldn't lose hope. I think getting into the 30s is pretty normal from what I remember, but it does vary from year to year. I know there was a pretty recent year that didnt have a lot of movement.
46 on OOS waitlist! I'm counting this as a win after being rejected by every other school. lol

Does anyone know if they over accept to start out with or do they only admit 52 non-residents originally? Also, I know its been asked already, but does the waitlist move that much? I was wondering if I'm in a reasonable spot at all.
If I remember correctly they don't over-accept, or if they do it's not by much.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS waitlist. But I’m declining my seat because there’s no use waiting on it when I already have an acceptance to at least one other school. I hope it helps some people out! Good luck everyone!

Is there anybody here pretty sure they’ll be attending?

Reactions: 1 users
OOS waitlist. But I’m declining my seat because there’s no use waiting on it when I already have an acceptance to at least one other school. I hope it helps some people out! Good luck everyone!
What # are you on the waitlist?

Is there anybody here pretty sure they’ll be attending?
As absolutely thrilled I am by an acceptance, likely not. I'm waiting to hear from my IS school because it's about a third of the cost to attend there. We'll see where it goes though, and where I get in!

Last edited:
OOS waitlist #43, so I'm not really holding onto hope 😬
This was the last school I needed to hear back from after a long list of rejections, so here's hoping next cycle will work out better!

• Care
I went down a rabbit hole last night figuring out my chances for getting accepted as I’m #32 on the OOS waitlist. Iowa State got to #170 on the OOS waitlist last year. I guess there’s hope after all! (Although, I know it varies year to year)

Congrats to those who were accepted, and remain hopeful for those who were waitlisted/rejected. Everything happens for a reason :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone who accepted their spot on the waitlist get a confirmation email?

I went down a rabbit hole last night figuring out my chances for getting accepted as I’m #32 on the OOS waitlist. Iowa State got to #170 on the OOS waitlist last year. I guess there’s hope after all! (Although, I know it varies year to year)

Congrats to those who were accepted, and remain hopeful for those who were waitlisted/rejected. Everything happens for a reason :)
I've also been trying to estimate my chances of receiving an acceptance. If I did the math right, they had a 61% increase in OOS apps this year compared to last (598 in 2020-2021 and 964 in 2021-2022). Also, last year on the APVMA Facebook page, someone posted on April 15th that they jumped from #77 to #39 on the waitlist. Hopefully, with the increase in apps the waitlist will move even more this year if the same people accepted OOS to Minnesota are accepted to their IS. I'm also hoping the super high OOS price for Minnesota and the weather turn people towards other schools.😅☹️😅

Did anyone who accepted their spot on the waitlist get a confirmation email?
I didn’t!
I've also been trying to estimate my chances of receiving an acceptance. If I did the math right, they had a 61% increase in OOS apps this year compared to last (598 in 2020-2021 and 964 in 2021-2022). Also, last year on the APVMA Facebook page, someone posted on April 15th that they jumped from #77 to #39 on the waitlist. Hopefully, with the increase in apps the waitlist will move even more this year if the same people accepted OOS to Minnesota are accepted to their IS. I'm also hoping the super high OOS price for Minnesota and the weather turn people towards other schools.😅☹️😅
I saw that too! But I saw the year before someone only moved 2 spots on the OOS waitlist. 😳 I’m still feeling hopeful for all of us though!

As absolutely thrilled I am by an acceptance, likely not. I'm waiting to hear from my IS school because it's about a third of the cost to attend there. We'll see where it goes though, and where I get in!
Got accepted to my IS tonight! I still have some thinking to do and I'm waiting to hear back from some other schools but I'll likely be going to my IS. Haven't officially made the decision, but someone on the waitlist might be getting some good news soon :)

Reactions: 2 users
The waiting these next two months is going to be so hard. Lol

How many people do they waitlist in total? The highest number I’ve seen is 77

Also did everyone have a good experience in their interview? My interview was the worst I’ve ever had and the interviewers just seemed so not interested... idk if anyone else had a similar experience. It was just so jarring since the admissions team and student ambassadors were AMAZING and the interview was just... not good.

Also did everyone have a good experience in their interview? My interview was the worst I’ve ever had and the interviewers just seemed so not interested... idk if anyone else had a similar experience. It was just so jarring since the admissions team and student ambassadors were AMAZING and the interview was just... not good.
I actually really enjoyed my interview, the two gals I had were incredibly nice and fun! They made it so much easier to interview

I actually really enjoyed my interview, the two gals I had were incredibly nice and fun! They made it so much easier to interview
Oh wow I feel like one of my interviewers somewhat tried but the other was just so... not enjoying it. He wasn’t even part of the department. I’m glad you had a good experience lmao my other interviews elsewhere were great so I went in thinking the same thing but it didn’t give what I wanted it to give lol

This also makes me somewhat sad because the vibe from the interviewers influences the interview SO MUCH... like I felt weird and that influenced my answers

Oh wow I feel like one of my interviewers somewhat tried but the other was just so... not enjoying it. He wasn’t even part of the department. I’m glad you had a good experience lmao my other interviews elsewhere were great so I went in thinking the same thing but it didn’t give what I wanted it to give lol

This also makes me somewhat sad because the vibe from the interviewers influences the interview SO MUCH... like I felt weird and that influenced my answers
Awe, I’m sorry to hear that:( that makes it so stressful, with interviewers like that. I agree, the vibes that the interviewers give off really do influence your answers and how you present yourself. That’s really to bad that’s the kind of interviewers you had

I also did not have the best to experience. At times it felt like I was being grilled. I also just did not vibe well with the behavioral interview aspect. I think I made myself more anxious than I needed to be 😭

I am number 16 on the IS waitlist. Does anyone know how big the waitlist is how if I even might have a chance?

OOS accepted but just declined my seat since my IS accepted me, crossing my fingers those on the waitlist get good news soon!

I am #56 on the waitlist but will be removing myself as I just got accepted to my IS school! I am also #10 on the waitlist for the SDSU program and will also be removing myself there :)

I am number 16 on the IS waitlist. Does anyone know how big the waitlist is how if I even might have a chance?
I think you have a decent chance. Last year I think it went up to roughly 20 (could have been higher , that’s just the highest I saw here on SDN!) for the IS waitlist!!

I am #32 on the waitlist but will be removing myself from the list due to acceptance at my in state school. Best of luck to everyone and I hope this helps somebody out!

Congrats to all of you on your acceptance and if you didn't get in please don't be discouraged. I'm a current 1st year at the U and I love it here. I'm also looking to rent out a room in my house next year and would love for it to be another vet student. It is a fairly small room ~9x8 feet but only 15 minutes from the vet school and $300/month! Feel free to PM me and I can send you my number if you want more info or even if you just have questions about the school

sorry if this was asked/answered already but is there a facebook group for accepted students?

sorry if this was asked/answered already but is there a facebook group for accepted students?
Is there going to be a groupme created for people accepted?
In years past there has been an official Facebook group for each class, but I think it doesn't get formed until sometime after the mid-April acceptance deadline.

I am wl at 76 for UMN but accepted into OSU. This entire application season has been so random... bye UMN :(

• Care
I am wl at 76 for UMN but accepted into OSU. This entire application season has been so random... bye UMN :(
Literally can’t tell you how random it is. 5 rejections (including to my IS that receives less applicants and heavily favors IS) but accepted into Penn and close to the top of the waitlist for UMN. Still waiting on 3 schools. I feel like after a certain point they just flip a coin. 😂

Last edited:
Literally can’t tell you how random it is. 5 rejections (including to my IS that receives less applicants and heavily favors IS) but accepted into Penn and close to the top of the waitlist for UMN. I feel like after a certain point they just flip a coin. 😂
I feel you. I applied to 14 schools and got 8 rejections (including Penn without an interview). But here I am at Ohio, the school that received the second most applications. I have so much to tell, please look at Successful applicants 2026 for my rambling lol. Penn is so great. Huge congrats,

I feel you. I applied to 14 schools and got 8 rejections (including Penn without an interview). But here I am at Ohio, the school that received the second most applications. I have so much to tell, please look at Successful applicants 2026 for my rambling lol. Penn is so great. Huge congrats,
Same goes for you! Ohio is a big win. Will look at your post and am always a PM away if you need to vent. 🤗

Do any accepted students think they’re going to give up their spot? As well as any waitlisted?

Do any accepted students think they’re going to give up their spot? As well as any waitlisted?
I will be attending my IS school and I've just declined my seat. Good luck to you and everyone else! Congrats to the person getting my seat :)

Just officially accepted my IS spot at Minnesota! Is anyone else going to the campus visit days March 18-19?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
OOS accepted at Minnesota, but was accepted to my IS school today. Will be declining my seat. Hopefully someone on the waitlist gets happy news soon. Congrats and best wishes to all those attending this amazing school!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Just officially accepted my OOS seat!! I'll be at the campus visit days :love:

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Whats the FASFA code? I have one but some schools have special vet ones so I wanna verify I've chosen the right one

Hi everyone!

I applied this last cycle and was waitlisted at Minnesota (OOS; rank: high 40s) and was wondering what my chances are of being accepted off the waitlist. I know this has already been asked previously, but this is the only school I'm still being considered by and am so anxious? Thank you for any insight!

Hi everyone!

I applied this last cycle and was waitlisted at Minnesota (OOS; rank: high 40s) and was wondering what my chances are of being accepted off the waitlist. I know this has already been asked previously, but this is the only school I'm still being considered by and am so anxious? Thank you for any insight!
When I emailed them to try and get more information, they kept it pretty general. I think it’s because there is no guarantee how many people will and will not accept their seat. From what I can tell, there’s been years where they offered spots to 30+ OOS people on the waitlist, and one year where they only were able to offer 2. I don’t think we’ll get a better idea until after April 15th as much as it sucks. On the bright side, I’ve already seen 3 people say they will not be accepting their seat, and you may not actually be 40+ on the waitlist anymore as people decline their waitlist seat. Hoping we both get good news in the next few months!

Reactions: 2 users
When I emailed them to try and get more information, they kept it pretty general. I think it’s because there is no guarantee how many people will and will not accept their seat. From what I can tell, there’s been years where they offered spots to 30+ OOS people on the waitlist, and one year where they only were able to offer 2. I don’t think we’ll get a better idea until after April 15th as much as it sucks. On the bright side, I’ve already seen 3 people say they will not be accepting their seat, and you may not actually be 40+ on the waitlist anymore as people decline their waitlist seat. Hoping we both get good news in the next few months!
Thank you for your reply! I greatly appreciate the information and wish you luck with the waitlist!

I was also curious if all schools use the waitlist the same way where they don't inform anyone until after the April 15th acceptance deadline. It would seem that with already decided ranks they could inform the next person on the waitlist whenever a seat opened up. I would also think they would want to give waitlisted students are ultimately accepted the most time to find affordable housing and make their decision.