University of Minnesota c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone!

I applied this last cycle and was waitlisted at Minnesota (OOS; rank: high 40s) and was wondering what my chances are of being accepted off the waitlist. I know this has already been asked previously, but this is the only school I'm still being considered by and am so anxious? Thank you for any insight!
I’m in pretty much your exact situation. Hoping we both hear good news!

Members don't see this ad.

Does the waiting list email indicate that as a OOS spot opens , the next person on the wait list will be accepted or am I reading that wrong?

Hey guys! I was offered the #3 spot on the OOS waitlist and accepted the spot, but I will be declining it after April 15th as I got into a different school more in line with my interests! I hope this opens up a seat for someone. :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was also curious if all schools use the waitlist the same way where they don't inform anyone until after the April 15th acceptance deadline. It would seem that with already decided ranks they could inform the next person on the waitlist whenever a seat opened up. I would also think they would want to give waitlisted students are ultimately accepted the most time to find affordable housing and make their decision.
Not all schools wait until April 15th, and not all schools rank waitlists at all. I know some schools aim for certain percentages of demographics; for example if someone with large animal interests drops then they will replace them with another person with large animal interest.
UMN probably waits until April 15th to streamline it; a new wave of acceptances goes out so they can prepare for the influx of emails and questions. Everyone gets updates all at once instead of having to update waitlist positions constantly. There might also be a chance that someone could change their mind after declining but before April 15th, but I don't know if UMN actually allows that. I kinda doubt it
Does the waiting list email indicate that as a OOS spot opens , the next person on the wait list will be accepted or am I reading that wrong?
In short: you are correct. In more detail: UMN waits to pull people off the list until April 15th. They usually do another wave a couple of weeks later when those offers are due to respond. After that they will have one more wave or switch to pulling people as spots open up. And yes, it goes in rank order. #1 is called first, then to #2, and so on
Hey guys! I was offered the #3 spot on the OOS waitlist and accepted the spot, but I will be declining it after April 15th as I got into a different school more in line with my interests! I hope this opens up a seat for someone. :)
Can I ask why you are waiting to decline the spot if you know you wont be taking it? It doesnt really matter, I'm just curious

Not all schools wait until April 15th, and not all schools rank waitlists at all. I know some schools aim for certain percentages of demographics; for example if someone with large animal interests drops then they will replace them with another person with large animal interest.
UMN probably waits until April 15th to streamline it; a new wave of acceptances goes out so they can prepare for the influx of emails and questions. Everyone gets updates all at once instead of having to update waitlist positions constantly. There might also be a chance that someone could change their mind after declining but before April 15th, but I don't know if UMN actually allows that. I kinda doubt it

In short: you are correct. In more detail: UMN waits to pull people off the list until April 15th. They usually do another wave a couple of weeks later when those offers are due to respond. After that they will have one more wave or switch to pulling people as spots open up. And yes, it goes in rank order. #1 is called first, then to #2, and so on

Can I ask why you are waiting to decline the spot if you know you wont be taking it? It doesnt really matter, I'm just curious

I think the maddymurray post here says they were offered the #3 spot on the minn waitlist so it sounded like they are reaching out to people , no?

I actually didn't realize I could decline it after I had already accepted it, but I just filled out the survey again and declined it lol. The University of Minnesota kinda confuses me because the other schools I applied to all have admissions portals and those are easier for me to navigate. And the #3 spot was my ranking on the OOS waitlist, I hadn't actually been offered a seat in the class yet but I knew it would move some people up the waitlist when I declined the waitlist spot

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if there are any opportunities for waitlisted folks to visit the school and see the vet facilities and whatnot?

Does anyone know if there are any opportunities for waitlisted folks to visit the school and see the vet facilities and whatnot?
Yes! I reached out to them and they said they are conducting tours during the week. I would just reach out to them before you book anything and make sure they can give you a tour that day, but it sounds like it’s definitely possible.

I will officially my declining my OOS seat as I received an offer at my in state school today! Best of luck everyone 🥳

• Love
If any of y’all are called off the waitlist, please tell your number so we have an idea what number they’re on

If any of y’all are called off the waitlist, please tell your number so we have an idea what number they’re on
We wont be hearing back about that until after April 15th right?

The other thing that would be helpful to know is if people turned down their IS or OOS spot or their waiting list spots on those lists and the number of the waitlist spots turned down.

Members don't see this ad :)
The other thing that would be helpful to know is if people turned down their IS or OOS spot or their waiting list spots on those lists and the number of the waitlist spots turned down.
If you don’t mind me asking, are you OOS or IS and what spot are you in the waitlist? Thanks!

Does anyone know when scholarships were offered previous cycles?

Does anyone know when scholarships were offered previous cycles?

No idea, the most recent email they said it's sometime before April 15!

I hope I haven't decreased my chances by accepting my seat already (I feel like they wouldn't do it that way though)

Last year I was offered a scholarship on 3/26. No guarantees that they will follow the same schedule! I am pretty sure that I had already accepted my seat by that point, but I’m not positive. My brain is crammed full of other stuff now that I can’t remember that far back haha

• Care
Last year I was offered a scholarship on 3/26. No guarantees that they will follow the same schedule! I am pretty sure that I had already accepted my seat by that point, but I’m not positive. My brain is crammed full of other stuff now that I can’t remember that far back haha

Thanks so much for that extra tidbit - makes me feel a lot better :) Hope you are able to empty some brain space soon for your own sake 😝

I got accepted into MN! I am so excited.

Hey @garbagecan

I was wondering if you could let me know your waitlist rank and whether you're IS or OOS. Thanks!

My son is waiting for several schools. Don’t know what number. I know some have numbers and some don’t. Hoping everyone gets the answers they want!

Officially been victimized by my first Minnesota pothole, in a rental car🙈🙈🙈

• Care
Just declined my OOS seat!! good luck to people on the wait-list, hopefully one of you will get it! : ) best wishes everybody!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
I know I should be patient but I'm dying to get an idea of how much the waitlist has moved and how many people have already given up their seats in the class 😅. I feel like my spot on the waitlist is like on the cusp of could get in or could not get in and the anticipation is crazy

I know I should be patient but I'm dying to get an idea of how much the waitlist has moved and how many people have already given up their seats in the class 😅. I feel like my spot on the waitlist is like on the cusp of could get in or could not get in and the anticipation is crazy
I am on the IS waitlist and feel the same way. Are you IS or OOS?

I am on the IS waitlist and feel the same way. Are you IS or OOS?
OOS, #26. This forum has given me a bit of hope bc several have already dropped their spots and from the waitlist but it seems some years they only go to like low 20s and some years they get to high 30s so its hard to get a grasp on how its gonna move

Officially declined my OOS seat. Good luck everyone!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Just declined my OOS seat! Good luck to the waitlisted!

I have been told that UMN does not offer any scholarships to incoming first years. So you have to find scholarships from outside sources
Really? In my acceptance email they said that they will send out scholarships before the April 15th deadline!

I have been told that UMN does not offer any scholarships to incoming first years. So you have to find scholarships from outside sources
UMN does offer scholarships to first years. You don’t apply separately for them, you are automatically considered along with your application. If you’re offered a scholarship, they will call you and follow it with an email.

I am number 16 on the IS waitlist. Does anyone know how big the waitlist is how if I even might have a chance?
I wish you the best!!! I’m #15 on the IS waiting list with UMN CVM.

I’m 22/265 in the Iowa State CVM OOS waiting list and I just got an offer to be class of 2026, but I already accepted Colorado State University CVM offer (VetPrep) which grants me a scholarship for my first year (MSc) and in state tuition for the 4 years of the DVM program (guaranteed seat). However, if UMN offers me a seat soon, then I may reconsider my position with CSU.

Although I got the offer through CSU as a VetPrep student (1 year of MSc plus 4 years of in state tuition DVM) I’m still on the waiting list for CSU OOS.

I got into SGU CVM but I declined their offer after CSU offered me a seat. Lincoln Memorial Universitu wanted me to take OChem 2 (I was like, nope!!!🤣😂).

Does the first waitlist rank update usually come out on April 15? I was wondering if we could expect to hear a week from Friday or given that it’s Good Friday we might have to wait until the following Monday. Thanks!

Hey everyone! I'm at the medical school, but I've been watching this thread since my friend is around #10 on the IS waitlist. Hoping for some good movement soon 🤞

Reactions: 2 users
Does the first waitlist rank update usually come out on April 15? I was wondering if we could expect to hear a week from Friday or given that it’s Good Friday we might have to wait until the following Monday. Thanks!
It usually happens the day after the first acceptances are due; usually the 16th. I would not expect anything until April 18th since that falls on a weekend.

Does anyone know where I can find info on computer/ipad requirements for the school? I tried looking it up but didn't find anything😅

OOS waitlist. But I’m declining my seat because there’s no use waiting on it when I already have an acceptance to at least one other school. I hope it helps some people out! Good luck everyone!
You may have said this, sorry, but what number were you on the waiting list and congratulations on your acceptance!

Does anyone know where I can find info on computer/ipad requirements for the school? I tried looking it up but didn't find anything😅

I think they should be emailing some more specifics in May - but in the past they haven't required a certain model (like some schools require an iPad or specific computer). There must be some software requirement but I don't think it's anything crazy.

Hi, I was on the waitlist last year and received a call around 4PM EST on the 15th. I expect you’ll hear back next Friday!

You’ll get a ton of info in the coming months, including computer requirements. I bought a normal 13-inch Macbook before classes started and it has worked out great!

Hi, I was on the waitlist last year and received a call around 4PM EST on the 15th. I expect you’ll hear back next Friday!
Thank you for your reply! Do you remember if last year they told you you would hear on April 15? In the original email I received and in another email I got when I updated them on my new email address, they said we would hear “after the April 15th deadline.” I wasn’t sure if this meant we could still hear on April 15th or if they were planning for later.

I think they should be emailing some more specifics in May - but in the past they haven't required a certain model (like some schools require an iPad or specific computer). There must be some software requirement but I don't think it's anything crazy.
Don't believe them when they say you need a gigantic screen for reviewing rads. I bought a new laptop based on their requirements and it was a heavy beast and completely unnecessary.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Don't believe them when they say you need a gigantic screen for reviewing rads. I bought a new laptop based on their requirements and it was a heavy beast and completely unnecessary.

Good to know! Would hate to lug around a huge laptop all the time for literally no reason