University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For some people here who are saying that we will be interviewing for wait list positions past this point, this sounds implausible. Who here has the authority to back up these statements? Are these rumors or facts?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

For some people here who are saying that we will be interviewing for wait list positions past this point, this sounds implausible. Who here has the authority to back up these statements? Are these rumors or facts?

Thank you!

Just going based off the wording of the letter, not trying to declare anything official

"Thank you for your sincere interest in the UNE-COM. The Committee on Admissions has carefully reviewed your admissions materials. UNE COM operates on a rolling admissions basis. We have transition to our waitlist period for Fall 2016 and are offering you a spot on our waitlist."

Thank you!

I am waitlisted as well - I don't speak from any real authority but if you look at last year's forum, applicants were usually placed on the waitlist prior to acceptance from February through the summer

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, thank you for posting the message there. Hopefully, the waitlist movement will be a speedy one. Best of luck Sal.

Trying sending a letter of intent. Heard that was popular and worked in the past for some applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm, thank you for posting the message there. Hopefully, the waitlist movement will be a speedy one. Best of luck Sal.

Trying sending a letter of intent. Heard that was popular and worked in the past for some applicants.

Best of luck to you too!

Wow thats stressful to hear. My interview is on Wednesday and now I feel a little terrified.. Information is not power lol

There may or may not be some serious changes occurring with the UNECOM curriculum. Some second years have talked about how all of their reproductive block is now mandatory, and they do not know if this will carry forward. That may not sound like a big deal, but it amounts to 16 hours of class a week, which could easily be compressed into 8 hours of at-home double-speed video. Couple that with our relatively short (just over 4 weeks) period of time with which to study for boards, and it seems likely that board performance is going to take a serious hit this year. I'll stop in with updates as things become more clear, but if the lack of mandatory lecture is a big draw to UNECOM for you, be aware that it might be changing soon and that you should strongly consider contacting the school to clarify what attendance policies will be moving forward in both first and second year if this is a concern.

I don't want anyone to feel like they've been given the bait-and-switch, so I feel this is information that should be available to potential matriculants and those considering UNECOM. Updates will be provided as they become available.

There may or may not be some serious changes occurring with the UNECOM curriculum. Some second years have talked about how all of their reproductive block is now mandatory, and they do not know if this will carry forward. That may not sound like a big deal, but it amounts to 16 hours of class a week, which could easily be compressed into 8 hours of at-home double-speed video. Couple that with our relatively short (just over 4 weeks) period of time with which to study for boards, and it seems likely that board performance is going to take a serious hit this year. I'll stop in with updates as things become more clear, but if the lack of mandatory lecture is a big draw to UNECOM for you, be aware that it might be changing soon and that you should strongly consider contacting the school to clarify what attendance policies will be moving forward in both first and second year if this is a concern.

I don't want anyone to feel like they've been given the bait-and-switch, so I feel this is information that should be available to potential matriculants and those considering UNECOM. Updates will be provided as they become available.
Can any other current students confirm this?

Hey soo...

I had not heard high or nigh from this school since submitting and being completed in October.

I emailed them once about this in December and they told me applications are moving as fast as they can.

It's been almost two months since then...

Do..Do I just assume I'm rejected? Do they do silent rejections?

Just got a email from admissions (Feb 3). I've moved on the wait list and they are offering me a seat. I interviewed early Dec and was notify of immediate wait list (class was full at the time).

I thought the interview went well. My stats are strong but I am also Canadian.

I am leaning towards releasing the seat and going to the school I prefer.

Reactions: 2 users
@ste_0 congrats! I am interviewing here tomorrow. Any pointers for those of us with upcoming II's at UNE? Im from OOS but would love to be offered a seat here!

Can any other current students confirm this?
What that poster was referring to is a development in progress. They have made all lectures after Spring break that are currently posted mandatory, but we do not know if this will just be for that course or the regular way the school will operate moving forward. It's still a very much in progress thing that hasn't yet been set in stone.

There's a good number of upset students though, and they're fighting against it. It's a pretty big shakeup this close to boards, when every hour matters and a lot of us don't learn particularly well via the live lecture format. A large reason I picked this school was that the schedule was flexible and allowed me to tailor my attendance and schedule to my learning style. This would be a massive culture shift for UNE- whether it will be a permanent or temporary remains to be seen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a email from admissions (Feb 3). I've moved on the wait list and they are offering me a seat. I interviewed early Dec and was notify of immediate wait list (class was full at the time).

I thought the interview went well. My stats are strong but I am also Canadian.

I am leaning towards releasing the seat and going to the school I prefer.
You should always go to the school you prefer lol. Why wouldn't you?

Hey soo...

I had not heard high or nigh from this school since submitting and being completed in October.

I emailed them once about this in December and they told me applications are moving as fast as they can.

It's been almost two months since then...

Do..Do I just assume I'm rejected? Do they do silent rejections?
They don't generally silently reject here. They have more applications than ever this year, so it's taking time.

You should always go to the school you prefer lol. Why wouldn't you?

That is indeed true, the question really is whether my preference is based on logical judgment... i haven't decided on that yet ; )

Waitlisted 12/11, offered an acceptance today (02/05). I'll be declining this acceptance but I hope it goes to one of you! I'll be jealous of you guys for getting to live up in Maine for the next couple years :)

Waitlisted 12/11, offered an acceptance today (02/05). I'll be declining this acceptance but I hope it goes to one of you! I'll be jealous of you guys for getting to live up in Maine for the next couple years :)
Give it to me!!!! I'm on the waitlist

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! How did you find out? I was waitlisted on 12/11 too - I saw that winter waitlisted people got in in February last year so my fingers are crossed

Last edited:
Heyo! Is there a current UNECOM student that's willing to let me PM them and ask a few questions?

Congrats!! How did you find out? I was waitlisted on 12/11 too - I saw that winter waitlisted people got in in February last year so my fingers are crossed

It was via email. I'll notify them tomorrow (actually kind of hard to do- accepted at my first choice but LOVED UNECOM) so hopefully one of you guys hears something early next week!

Any recommendations on which hotel to stay at before the interview?

Any recommendations on which hotel to stay at before the interview?
Hampton Inn. Solid hotel, free breakfast in the morning. Big rooms. You can get a UNECOM interview discount if you call them and tell them you're interviewing there.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got my e-mail regarding rejection pre-interview. Figured those worried about silent rejections would at least have peace of mind knowing that no news is good news for now!

I stayed at the Biddeford motel. It was tiny and red, family owned, and we were the only ones staying not there at the time lol. It was pretty cheap and was fine for the one night we stayed. Also it's right down the road from a strip of restaurants and like 10 minutes from downtown Biddeford and the school.

Hey everyone, accepted off of the waitlist yesterday! Very excited to start school this summer!

If UNE is your first choice and you are on the waitlist, I would suggest writing a letter of intent (especially if you have been accepted at another institution). I wrote one and sent it in a week ago. I'm not sure if it is a coincidence, but it definitely can't hurt!

I hope others hear good news soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, accepted off of the waitlist yesterday! Very excited to start school this summer!

If UNE is your first choice and you are on the waitlist, I would suggest writing a letter of intent (especially if you have been accepted at another institution). I wrote one and sent it in a week ago. I'm not sure if it is a coincidence, but it definitely can't hurt!

I hope others hear good news soon!
Congrats! When did you get waitlisted?

Thanks! I got waitlisted on December 11th
Me too :) I'm dying to get off that waitlist, but I can't figure out a pattern for the waitlist acceptances - already sent in letters

Congratulations!

Me too :) I'm dying to get off that waitlist, but I can't figure out a pattern for the waitlist acceptances - already sent in letters

To whom did you address/send letters? And did you email? Or snail mail?

For thank you letters/emails, did you ask for the interviewer contact information or was it listed anywhere?

For thank you letters/emails, did you ask for the interviewer contact information or was it listed anywhere?

My faculty interviewer gave me his card at the end. I had to guess on the student interviewer's email, and I'm still not sure it got to her, since she didn't answer.

Congratulations!

To whom did you address/send letters? And did you email? Or snail mail?
I wrote a formal letter of intent, addressed to "members of the admissions committee". I also emailed it to the general grad admissions email

I wrote a formal letter of intent, addressed to "members of the admissions committee". I also emailed it to the general grad admissions email

Thanks. I wrote a quick thank you email after the info session last Thursday, but I'm working on a letter of interest/update letter for next week.

Accepted off the waitlist yesterday afternoon! Feeling incredibly grateful today (my first acceptance)!

Current students or extremely industrious applicants - does anyone know if the waitlist is ranked?

Current students or extremely industrious applicants - does anyone know if the waitlist is ranked?

From the FAQ attached to the waitlist decision letters:
"Is the UNE COM wait list ranked? Can I know my rank on the wait list?
The UNE COM Committee on Admissions ranks the waitlist based on many factors including GPA, MCAT Score, Interview, other aspects in your application. The ranking of our waitlist is not given out."

Just placed on the waitlist yesterday :( 3.91 cGPA, 30 MCAT - any input from previous waitlisters on my chances?

Wish I knew more about the waitlist myself! Research into past years suggests a lot of people get accepted from the waitlist, or else don't post to sdn when they get accepted and withdraw - wish I had something solid. I do believe (anyone correct me if I am wrong) that the second deposit deadline just came up, so hopefully movement soon?

Wish I knew more about the waitlist myself! Research into past years suggests a lot of people get accepted from the waitlist, or else don't post to sdn when they get accepted and withdraw - wish I had something solid. I do believe (anyone correct me if I am wrong) that the second deposit deadline just came up, so hopefully movement soon?

The second deposit deadline is 60 days from the receipt of your first deposit. Since my first deposit was due early January, I will have until early March to pay the second deposit. So people will probably be giving up their seats in the next couple of weeks!

By the way, figured I'd clear up a misconception in regard to UNECOM- there are some mandatory classes, but the majority of classes are not mandatory. In first year, you've got about 14-18 mandatory hours per week (6 hours of anatomy, 6 hours of group work, 4-6 hours of OMM and clinical skills lab, and 0-4 hours of guest lecturers per week), depending on the week. In second year, you have about 8-10 hours of required class per week. There was a rumor (and there's always rumors at any given school) about mandatory attendance, but that is not correct- there is one particular block in second year this year that requires attendance for four weeks of lecture (roughly 12-16 additional hours of lecture a week, for a total of 20-26 hours), and even that might be cut in half before we get there. I couldn't care less either way, personally.