University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!! Interviewed January 24th!

I am over the moon!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Acceptance email this morning!!!!! Interviewed Jan 28th! I am so psyched! Totally makes up for the really bad weather here in the Northeast and having to come to work and school because the stupid city won't close.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone from the January 29th or 30th interviews hear anything back yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh and does anyone know if rejections come via email or snail mail?

I interviewed the 23rd and I've heard nothing :(

I'm a little nervous too! Knowing that some people are getting acceptances around the same interview dates makes me feel like I am awaiting a rejection. :(

I'm a little nervous too! Knowing that some people are getting acceptances around the same interview dates makes me feel like I am awaiting a rejection. :(

Keep your head up!!!!

Can someone also address the PBL portion of the curriculum? What's the format/do you find it helpful/does it all coincide with the systems-based lecture curriculum?

PBL is supposed to be part of the lecture, I guess technically our concept mapping is too, and then fight club is all PBL. We don't generally get lectured on everything, as come Monday morning we are supposed to have a basic understanding of the fundamental objectives of the week (supposed to).

The professors are supposed to lecture about the harder to understand concepts and during the lecture they are supposed to ask us questions which we are supposed to discuss at our table of 6 and then we discuss as a class (again supposed to). I stopped going to lecture because I don't get a lot out of it. Often times the professor will give us 15 minutes to discuss a topic that I don't yet have a firm grasp on and so it's a waste of my time. I do find fight club helpful, it's on Thursday afternoon, so by that point I have figured most of the stuff out for the week. Originally we (half of the class) would discuss 4 questions in 2 hours, but more recently they have upped the number of questions so that we cover more which I like. One big problem is that to have the class discussion we have to speak into microphones which a lot of people (including me) don't like to do, so the discussion ends up being between the same 4 or 5 people every week and sometimes it's like pulling teeth for the professors. I do find it helpful though, especially when we relate clincially relevant things to the physiology/biochem/pharm stuff we're learning. I don't find concept mapping helpful because I have it Tuesday afternoon before I've had a chance to really think about the material. Some people like it though.

I'm not sure what you mean does it coincide with the systems-based lecture curriculum; We don't technically have a systems based curriculum although it kind of is. It coincides with what we are focusing on that week/block if that's what you mean.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user

Definitely was not the case last year. Keep your chin up!

I will be withdrawing pre-interview due to my acceptance at MSU-COM (in-state tuition FTW :greedy:). I'm a little disappointed to have not been able to interview at UNE, but such is life. Good luck to those of you still waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh noooo! I interviewed the 28th too and haven't heard anything!!

Oh noooo! I interviewed the 28th too and haven't heard anything!!

I wish I could figure out how they decided what order they review interviewees in, but it seems like it is just really random. Hopefully we don't have to wait to long!

I wish I could figure out how they decided what order they review interviewees in, but it seems like it is just really random. Hopefully we don't have to wait to long!
Are you saying that they have not reviewed all the interviewees from January yet? That gives me a little hope!

Are you saying that they have not reviewed all the interviewees from January yet? That gives me a little hope!
No they haven't ! Just found out they are meeting again the 24th!! Fingers crossed for all us January interviewees!!

Actually, Lisa said a week from next Monday. Not sure if she meant the 24th or the following Monday ?

Can any 3rd year or 4th year students or graduates or perhaps 2nd year students (if you know the answer to this) talk about 3rd and 4th year rotations at UNECOM. Are most of the clinical sites good/ are most students satisfied with their experience in 3rd/ 4th year? Is the school supportive in terms of helping you schedule your clinical rotations and advising you through electives/residency apps etc. Any info on 3rd and 4th year would be helpful. It seems like schools that do not have hospitals attached or very close by can be at a slight disadvantage in terms of offering the best possible clinical experience. Thanks for any help!

I'm a 4th year. I had a good third year experience where I rotated and I believe most of my classmates did too. I haven't heard many complaints that suggest any malignant experiences or gaping inadequacies at any of our rotation sites. Honestly, it's what you make of it and you won't have any problem finding a residency spot based on where you did your third year.

(On phone sorry for any typos)

I'm a 4th year. I had a good third year experience where I rotated and I believe most of my classmates did too. I haven't heard many complaints that suggest any malignant experiences or gaping inadequacies at any of our rotation sites. Honestly, it's what you make of it and you won't have any problem finding a residency spot based on where you did your third year.

(On phone sorry for any typos)

Do you have any say in where you do your rotations?

Do you have any say in where you do your rotations?

Yea the second years got their assignments a few weeks ago. It's a lottery system, but not a great one. My understanding is that you pick choices 1-X, then if more than the number of seats picked that spot they do a lottery. However if your first, second and third choice all had too many people and you didn't get your first choice that automatically puts you onto your fourth choice. So it's not as straightforward as everyone would like, but it seemed like the second years talked to each other about it so that no one would get screwed. But also like the 4th year above said, it really is what you make of it, there are pros and cons to every site. The bigger concern of my class at the moment is where are the new 50 spots going to be. Someone came to talk to us about the process in January and many of us got the impression that those spots have not been found yet.

Yea the second years got their assignments a few weeks ago. It's a lottery system, but not a great one. My understanding is that you pick choices 1-X, then if more than the number of seats picked that spot they do a lottery. However if your first, second and third choice all had too many people and you didn't get your first choice that automatically puts you onto your fourth choice. So it's not as straightforward as everyone would like, but it seemed like the second years talked to each other about it so that no one would get screwed. But also like the 4th year above said, it really is what you make of it, there are pros and cons to every site. The bigger concern of my class at the moment is where are the new 50 spots going to be. Someone came to talk to us about the process in January and many of us got the impression that those spots have not been found yet.

Ok that is good to know. I am trying to convince my bf to move to Maine with me, which he was willing to do until he found out he would just have to pick up again in 2 yrs. Understandably he is worried about what that will do to his career.

We will see how it all works out.

Ok that is good to know. I am trying to convince my bf to move to Maine with me, which he was willing to do until he found out he would just have to pick up again in 2 yrs. Understandably he is worried about what that will do to his career.

We will see how it all works out.

I spoke with a current 2nd year during my interview last month, and she mentioned that they had a much better system for 3rd year rotations this year. They did a tiered system instead of the lottery system which was done in the past. There are about 12 different locations around the northeast to choose from, and in your 1st tier you would write the location(s) which you consider your "top choice(s)." If you pick 2 or more locations for that tier, you basically are saying you don't care which one, as long as it's 1 of those locations. Then you would also list from locations in your 2nd tier and 3rd tiers.
She said that only less than 15 people (out of I believe was 120ish 2nd years--i don't exactly remember) did not get a location which was in their top tier. PLUS, if you are not happy with your location, you could swap with some students who might want to go to your location too. My interviewer said she got into a location in her top tier and ended up swapping for a location in her 2nd tier afterwards, which she later decided she wanted more.
Seems like a fair system, and she said most students were very happy with the tiered system they did. Again, it also depends on the number of spots per location, and how many people want those locations as well.

I would look up the different locations for the 3rd year rotations and sit down with your boyfriend so he knows exactly where you may end up in 3rd year :) 4th year I heard was basically up to the student completely.

interviewed Jan 17th... still no decision... not looking too promising

Can any current students comment on Osteoblast? What is the purpose and what do you do on that day?

I am considering going if only to meet some of my future classmates and to interview possible roommates, haha.

Can any current students comment on Osteoblast? What is the purpose and what do you do on that day?

I am considering going if only to meet some of my future classmates and to interview possible roommates, haha.

I went last year and was glad I went, mostly because I was able to meet a few people before school started to ease my anxiety. The point of Osteoblast is to provide you with another opportunity for you to see if UNECOM is for you, or from another perspective to convince people that have been accepted to multiple places that they should come here. Everything that they talked about at Osteoblast was then repeated at Orientation, so if you can't make it, it's really not a big deal. Osteoblast is a great time to look at potential apartments, find roommates, and get a sense of the area. They talked about the curriculum, they tried to show us what a normal day would include, there was a club fair, they gave us info on things to do in biddeford, you can talk to financial aid if you want, and a ton of other stuff that I've forgotten.

Reactions: 1 users
interviewed Jan 17th... still no decision... not looking too promising

Hopefully we hear something this week! They have been sending out acceptances almost every week since things picked back up in January. Honestly I would call if I had been waiting longer than a month.

Does anyone know if they've sent out any rejections for the January interviewees?

ACCEPTANCE THIS MORNING!!!

This just made my decision making a lot harder...

Reactions: 3 users
1/28

Apparently some other people from my interview group heard last week so I guess they hop around a little in their review of applicants.
I see, i interviewed early this month, hopefully I'll hear something soon!

Has anyone received anything from UNECOM other then the Christmas card and medical forms? Does anyone know when we are suppose to start financial aid stuff and if the school will send out info on this? Also if we are planning on going to Osteoblast do we have to sign up and if so where? Thanks!

I was accepted back in October and haven't really received any info from them

I was accepted back in October and haven't really received any info from them

Hi Madeline,

I just recently got accepted and on their website they have a financial aid check list, have you submitted your FAFSA to UNE yet?

I am sending my 2nd deposit and medical info this week, and my FAFSA was received by UNE last friday.

I am sending my 2nd deposit and medical info this week, and my FAFSA was received by UNE last friday.

Oh wow I guess I better be getting busy then.. I didn't even know we could start filling out the fafsa and stuff.

Oh wow I guess I better be getting busy then.. I didn't even know we could start filling out the fafsa and stuff.

My gf who is an accountant said you can send your FAFSA as soon as you do your taxes, and the sooner you get it in the better.

Thanks for the info plateletfactor5! I guess I should probably get going on this. I was assuming UNECOM would contact us about all of this. Aside from FAFSA , two deposits, and July 1st deadline for health info there is not any other deadlines or documents we must complete yet right?

Thanks for the info plateletfactor5! I guess I should probably get going on this. I was assuming UNECOM would contact us about all of this. Aside from FAFSA , two deposits, and July 1st deadline for health info there is not any other deadlines or documents we must complete yet right?

I do not believe so, my understanding is that once they have the FAFSA they can get the ball rolling on getting your package together...figuring out your loan options, etc.

I will try and remember to update if I hear anything from them, hopefully everyone else will do the same.

Does anyone know if they are still sending out II? sec submitted on Feb11

Does anyone know if they are still sending out II? sec submitted on Feb11
I am under the impression that there are still IIs being given out in limited numbers... but I wouldn't be too optimistic (unless you have a stellar application) since you submitted 6+ months after the majority of other applicants.

I think making a Facebook group for housing is a really idea. I actually started looking at a couple of websites online just to get an idea of what kind of housing options are available in the area and approximate cost. I think a place for people to share info that they have found on housing would be really helpful. Also if we could get some current students in on the housing page that way when they are able to they can either relay information onto us or give us feedback on what they think about certain housing options.

I am pretty positive I will be matriculating at UNECOM in the fall. I am currently wait listed at another school right now but I really don't have a firm grasp on what my chances are getting in there. Since I am still wait listed at the other school I have not joined the Facebook group yet although I kind of would like to because I think it would be a great way to start getting to know people ( and with housing as mentioned above). I wonder if the Facebook page could maybe be changed to an open page?