University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you from Maine? I just got to Biddeford. Having a beer, I have no idea how to work public transportation.....I need to get out more.

No, I'm from Mass. I just got here now, wanted to make sure I got here before the major snow comes! Where are you from, did you fly in?

Members don't see this ad :)
I figured I should post this from the email I got today just to keep you all inform. This is from Chris Tripp

"Hi Folks,
I hope this finds you well. You are currently scheduled to interview at UNECOM tomorrow, Thursday, February 19, 2015. It is predicted that we will be getting another major snowstorm this evening into tomorrow. While we plan on being here for your interviews regardless of weather, we wanted to give you an option to reschedule if that is what you choose. We have tentative interview openings at the end of March (24, 25, 26). We would be more than happy to reschedule you for one of these afternoon sessions, however please note that these are tentative and depend on how our class is filling up at that point (i.e. we may or may not hold these sessions)."

I took this as "if you can get here, get here"

I can take summer off because I have no dependents or rent to pay, so I'm one of the lucky ones. Just tack the summer bills onto your medical school loans! Jk...maybe.

I figured I should post this from the email I got today just to keep you all inform. This is from Chris Tripp

"Hi Folks,
I hope this finds you well. You are currently scheduled to interview at UNECOM tomorrow, Thursday, February 19, 2015. It is predicted that we will be getting another major snowstorm this evening into tomorrow. While we plan on being here for your interviews regardless of weather, we wanted to give you an option to reschedule if that is what you choose. We have tentative interview openings at the end of March (24, 25, 26). We would be more than happy to reschedule you for one of these afternoon sessions, however please note that these are tentative and depend on how our class is filling up at that point (i.e. we may or may not hold these sessions)."

I took this as "if you can get here, get here"

lol what gave it away for you? The "however please note that these are tentative and depend on how our class is filling up at that point (i.e. we may or may not hold these sessions)"

Yes I would def not reschedule

Good, now I know that UNECOM will conclude their interview on March 19th.

Last edited:
Might be time to abandon all hope for an interview, even for instaters.

Reactions: 1 users
As exciting as it is to see wait list movement, it makes me very nervous waiting to hear back about my interview. Especially since its been a month from my interview.

For any current students here, how do you like the circular tables as opposed to an amphitheater for lecture?
Way better. It decentralizes the room and makes everyone equally involved. The microphones also help a lot, particularly in facilitating discussion and in soliciting questions during lectures.

Yay finally received immunization and background check info! Lots to do!

That sounds pretty much a continuation of my last month lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol yeah but having to pay for our own background check? Really? Im not a criminal I swear lol!
I know. I couldn't decide if it was more appropriate to laugh or cry. On a separate note, does anyone know when we get our supply list (i.e. books, equipment)?

After receiving the email about health, history,etc I went online in the UNE student portal and there was a financial aid form waiting to be completed...I would have thought they would mention that in their letter?

After receiving the email about health, history,etc I went online in the UNE student portal and there was a financial aid form waiting to be completed...I would have thought they would mention that in their letter?

What is this online portal you are talking about? It is something you have to log into to have access to that form?

I emailed the girl back and she said we do not have access to log in to the UNE online portal yet, but we will "soon"

What is this online portal you are talking about? It is something you have to log into to have access to that form?
Go to www.une.edu/student... Click on U-online...you can look up your n'eastrtn login there...all you need is your birthday...maybe social sec number too. You will get your login and your student number....it's pretty simple!

Interviewing here tomorrow, campus is gorgeous! Hoping all goes well and I get a good impression of the curriculum/student body

Yesterday was the best day ever. Taken off the waitlist and given a seat :) so excited!

That week on the wait list was so depressing :(

Reactions: 4 users
Are people doing anything to get off waitlist here? like calling or sending a letter of intent? or just waiting it out?

Yesterday was the best day ever. Taken off the waitlist and given a seat :) so excited!

That week on the wait list was so depressing :(
Congratulations! I can't wait to experience this. How did you come to know that you were taken off the waitlist? Phone, email etc.? And do you mind sharing when you interviewed?

Are people doing anything to get off waitlist here? like calling or sending a letter of intent? or just waiting it out?
+1 I'd like to know this as well.

Congratulations! I can't wait to experience this. How did you come to know that you were taken off the waitlist? Phone, email etc.? And do you mind sharing when you interviewed?

+1 I'd like to know this as well.

Don't know if this helped me get off the waitlist, but I sent an update ( I had been promoted and presented a poster since my interview) and explained how much I wanted to go to UNE. I really loved it when I went from the curriculum to the people to the facilities to everything.

As for the waitlist. I found out last week I was waitlisted and interviewed 1/22. They e-mailed stating that there was a change in my waitlist status, a seat opened, and I had 48 hours to respond. From responses in this forum, I've seen a lot of waitlist movement so it's tough but don't give up :)

Don't know if this helped me get off the waitlist, but I sent an update ( I had been promoted and presented a poster since my interview) and explained how much I wanted to go to UNE. I really loved it when I went from the curriculum to the people to the facilities to everything.

As for the waitlist. I found out last week I was waitlisted and interviewed 1/22. They e-mailed stating that there was a change in my waitlist status, a seat opened, and I had 48 hours to respond. From responses in this forum, I've seen a lot of waitlist movement so it's tough but don't give up :)

That's pretty incredible that you only had to wait a week. I've been on the wait list since the end of January, so I've been going berserk. This is my top school for sure. And I sent a letter very close to when I was told I was wait listed, I'm guessing it didn't help. But who knows.
Thanks for the insight though, much appreciated.
And I have to ask, are you going to be attending UNECOM this fall?

That's pretty incredible that you only had to wait a week. I've been on the wait list since the end of January, so I've been going berserk. This is my top school for sure. And I sent a letter very close to when I was told I was wait listed, I'm guessing it didn't help. But who knows.
Thanks for the insight though, much appreciated.
And I have to ask, are you going to be attending UNECOM this fall?

oh, definitely. deposit was sent in yesterday. it was my top choice as well. i'm so excited to get back to new england.

@Mad Jack, I'm curious about this as well.

It seems like the SDN candidates who are getting off the waitlist fall in a certain higher GPA/MCAT range, I think they've likely "scored" higher in their overall application and are being pulled off the list based on that (speculation of course). People who interview in March that have a great overall package with a high admissions score can be pulled off earlier since they are ranked higher on the waitlist. This is purely based on my past experience with the admissions processes where I have worked. I'm really hoping where you live isn't heavily weighted in the score since I'm OOS and not from New England. But we'll see.

These next few months will be very interesting considering lots of MD schools are handing out acceptances/rejections/waitlists right now so it will influence where people ultimately end up... all the way until the beginning of class. In other words, for those on the waitlist, find a hobby to distract yourself. Love this process.
Honestly I haven't a clue how they manage the waitlist. I know a girl last year who was pulled off with an MCAT in the low 20s, so I wouldn't say it is all numbers. The applicant pool has gotten much more competitive this year though, both due to an increase in applications and an increase in the number of quality applications, so that could be affecting things. Even with our class size increase two years ago (125>175), our average MCAT and GPA continue to climb, which says a lot about both the depth and competitiveness of the applicant pool.

Can anyone give a rundown of a typical day at UNECOM (i.e. when class starts, labs, studying)? I know they mentioned this at the interview, but mine was way back in September.

Accepted off of the wait list today! Interviewed on 1/22 and wait listed on Feb. 5th. GPA: 3.9 MCAT 28.

Reactions: 5 users
Oh man, this is killing me inside. Two people on here got accepted from1/22 interviews. I interviewed on the 20th. I'm itching to find out how this waitlist game WORKS!!!! AH!

Oh man, this is killing me inside. Two people on here got accepted from1/22 interviews. I interviewed on the 20th. I'm itching to find out how this waitlist game WORKS!!!! AH!

Same here, I was also on the 1/20 interview, 2/5 waitlist bandwagon!

Hey guys. :)
Got the acceptance last week. Very happy about it since I'm an international student and my stats were a fair bit below the school average.

Anyone know when the white coat ceremony is?

UNECOM is pretty much done interviewing, right? Wondering when those last pre-III rejection letters are going to come in, lol
I believe their last interviews are this month but these interviews may or may not occur depending on their spots. It seems that there aren't as any spots this year due to the ASA waiting list last year.

Congrats!! Goldenmed9, were you accepted off the waitlist or straight from your interview? Where are you from?
Thanks!
I'm Canadian and I got off the waiting list within 2 weeks of being waitlisted.

Is there a thread for the Class of 2019 yet? I want to meet people :)