Western University - Lebanon (COMP) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First year student, happy to answer any questions about the school/Lebanon.

Members don't see this ad.

Ya but just two stations. I think it was 2 minutes to read the scenario and 6 to play it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody! Does anybody happen to know when I might hear back for a possible interview? I was complete at the first of the month (October)! Really excited about this one!

Interview last Saturday. It was an extremely positive experience. Thank you to all the students who took the time to answer mine and the other applicants questions. If accepted I will likely matriculate!

This is the only school I applied to that I didn't get a secondary application from, they sent me an email rejecting my primary.

My stats kinda suck but I was still surprised I didn't get a secondary. Did I miss a minimum cutoff for something?

cgpa: 3.25 sgpa: 3.79 mcat: 23 (9/7/7)

This is the only school I applied to that I didn't get a secondary application from, they sent me an email rejecting my primary.

My stats kinda suck but I was still surprised I didn't get a secondary. Did I miss a minimum cutoff for something?

I believe they require an MCAT that is within three years.Not sure if this is it but I know that it is a common rule among most schools.

I believe they require an MCAT that is within three years.Not sure if this is it but I know that it is a common rule among most schools.

I took my MCAT August 9th of this year so that wouldn't apply for me. I guess my application just blows.

I took my MCAT August 9th of this year so that wouldn't apply for me. I guess my application just blows.

Im brain dead at the moment, I thought (9/7/7) was the date you took it. Thats what happens when you post from work. Dont be discouraged by one schools decision. I got multiple interviews and multiple rejections. Schools just look at different things.

a retake might not hurt even if you can pull into the 25 +/- area. the cib has a overall avg of 27 for those who matriculated into DO schools just to give you some idea.

i know two points may not sound like much but i think there is some value to the adcoms.

initially they made it sounds like they only send letters out about decisions, but then they mentioned that in previous years they like to call applicants who are accepted right as the decisions have been made( and then they send out the letter).

Roughly, we are supposed to hear by next friday at the earliest right? Probably by phone and then something in the mail the following week?

Ditto. (Now I'm kind of wondering who you are...lol)

Fourth year who did the NWT. The other two can answer preclinical questions, but if you have rotation questions, I'd be happy to share what I can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fourth year who did the NWT. The other two can answer preclinical questions, but if you have rotation questions, I'd be happy to share what I can.

Which rotation track did you choose?

Which rotation track did you choose?

I chose my track for personal reasons, so it's a little irrelevant, but the story with all the tracks it's that they are a work in progress (as they're just now getting up to the full number of rotations they need), though some more than others.

Things are changing, and my perspective might already be out of date (it almost certainly will be by the time you get out there), but Tacoma and Portland will likely have a mix of excellent and good rotations, while being a bit scattered geographically. Those tracks will be hard to get because everyone wants to live in those cities. Corvallis and McMinnville will be consistent and solid, with a more rural feel. Roseburg and Medford will likely be adequate, but they're having trouble recruiting docs there and there's a decent chance of having to move elsewhere for a rotation or two. Specifically, Roseburg will have to go to Medford for psych (no psych at Mercy) and OMM last I heard. Can't say much about Salem/Bend/Idaho/Oregon Coast, but smaller sites will probably not support a full year at this point.

Any interview invites lately? I'm a northwest resident with high stats and decent exposure to osteopathic medicine, who would absolutely love to go here!

I submitted my secondary the first week of September and was complete not long after. I know it's still early, but I'm getting anxious!

I chose my track for personal reasons, so it's a little irrelevant, but the story with all the tracks it's that they are a work in progress (as they're just now getting up to the full number of rotations they need), though some more than others.

Things are changing, and my perspective might already be out of date (it almost certainly will be by the time you get out there), but Tacoma and Portland will likely have a mix of excellent and good rotations, while being a bit scattered geographically. Those tracks will be hard to get because everyone wants to live in those cities. Corvallis and McMinnville will be consistent and solid, with a more rural feel. Roseburg and Medford will likely be adequate, but they're having trouble recruiting docs there and there's a decent chance of having to move elsewhere for a rotation or two. Specifically, Roseburg will have to go to Medford for psych (no psych at Mercy) and OMM last I heard. Can't say much about Salem/Bend/Idaho/Oregon Coast, but smaller sites will probably not support a full year at this point.

Thanks for the info. I understand its a dynamic process and things are changing to make these rotations better. I am still a long way from being able to even have to consider such choices and I may never get to, but its good to hear solid info about the rotations from students currently going through it.

Thanks for the info. I understand its a dynamic process and things are changing to make these rotations better. I am still a long way from being able to even have to consider such choices and I may never get to, but its good to hear solid info about the rotations from students currently going through it.

No worries. I've gotten very familiar with the rotations office up there, and I can promise you they bust their asses every day to make sure things work out for every student. I think once they've gotten the quantity of the rotations up to speed, their next step will be to start improving the quality of the rotations as well.

And just a reminder, rotations are critical, but it's very hard to evaluate them as a pre-med because it's so different than anything you've done before. Do your best to learn what you can, and don't shy away from considering the rotations at a school when making your decision.

Hey all

They said they sent out notification for those who interviewed on 10-19 I checked my mail haven't gotten anything. Can anyone who received a decision by mail let me know when they got the notification?

Hey all

They said they sent out notification for those who interviewed on 10-19 I checked my mail haven't gotten anything. Can anyone who received a decision by mail let me know when they got the notification?

The earliest that they mail them is today. So it will be a few days until we get them.

I thought it was last Wednesday?
No. They met last Friday. Then again this tuesday. So decisions are made after. Look at the last group that were interviewed, they got their acceptances 13 days later.

Rejected by email today. So upset. This was by far my top choice.

Congratulations to all who have been accepted to COMP-Northwest! I've been accepted to the Pomona campus. Maybe I will see you on the big screen during some classes. When I interviewed at Pomona on 9/12/13, we visited a class demonstrating the video-conferencing capabilities of both campuses.

Would any current students let me know how the video-conferencing is going for them? Is it beneficial? I also heard that it goes both ways. Some class sessions at Pomona, CA are remotely taught by COMP-NW faculty. Heck, I even heard the dean for all of COMP (both campuses) is stationed in Oregon!

I'm sorry to hear that!
Do you mind posting stats if you are comfortable doing so so we can get a idea of this cycle is looking?
I'm totally confused now because I thought that all decisions were made in paper and sent by mail....or am I just making things up in my mind? I thought I specifically heard them say that..

Rejected by email today. So upset. This was by far my top choice.

do they call for accepted applicants?
no call=rejection or wait list and you find out via mail?
checked last years thread and couldn't get a definite answer ...

do they call for accepted applicants?
no call=rejection or wait list and you find out via mail?
checked last years thread and couldn't get a definite answer ...
I was accepted and was called about 13 days after I interviewed. Received my acceptance letter about 10 days later. So if they are doing the same thing for the October 19th interviewees, they should be calling people today. But who knows how they are doing it. Hope that helps, Good Luck!

I was accepted and was called about 13 days after I interviewed. Received my acceptance letter about 10 days later. So if they are doing the same thing for the October 19th interviewees, they should be calling people today. But who knows how they are doing it. Hope that helps, Good Luck!

thanks for your reply!

do they call everyone accepted the same day or do they spread it out over a few days.....?

thanks for your reply!

do they call everyone accepted the same day or do they spread it out over a few days.....?
I believe most people were called on Friday. One person in this thread said they never got called and received an acceptance letter through the mail though

I'm sorry to hear that!
Do you mind posting stats if you are comfortable doing so so we can get a idea of this cycle is looking?
I'm totally confused now because I thought that all decisions were made in paper and sent by mail....or am I just making things up in my mind? I thought I specifically heard them say that..

They told us it was by mail. I guess they just really wanted to get that info to me asap. The crappy part is I got it the night before another interview. Bad timing! I dont think my stats were the problem. I dont think I did that great on the MMI and my interview in retrospect was not spectacular. If you get an interview that means they are generally comfortable with your stats.

Got a call from them!

on a side note there have been no 4th years at comp-nw right? just third years?

Last edited:
They told us it was by mail. I guess they just really wanted to get that info to me asap. The crappy part is I got it the night before another interview. Bad timing! I dont think my stats were the problem. I dont think I did that great on the MMI and my interview in retrospect was not spectacular. If you get an interview that means they are generally comfortable with your stats.

my interview was pretty hard personally, i was thought i did bad and i didnt even know what to do for MMI. I think you can call them and ask them for feedback? you had another interview soon after! so keep your spirits up and besides its somewhat early right now in the cycle.

They said they'd tell us both by mailed letter and over the phone when I interviewed 10/19. Though the phone call would only be for acceptances, and they stated that in some cases they aren't able to get to everyone they accept by the end of the day. With that said, I hope they're doing these alphabetically, and that my phone call is just waiting! Really excited about this school.

#GoBeavs Beat USC tonight.

They said they'd tell us both by mailed letter and over the phone when I interviewed 10/19. Though the phone call would only be for acceptances, and they stated that in some cases they aren't able to get to everyone they accept by the end of the day. With that said, I hope they're doing these alphabetically, and that my phone call is just waiting! Really excited about this school.

#GoBeavs Beat USC tonight.
i was quickly reading last years thread and they thought it may have been by secondary submission date or when you were complete...

Hey everybody,

I got the acceptance call yesterday. Thought I would share some info for all...

AACOMAS verified 8/27/13
SecondaryReceived/Submitted 9/3/13
Interviewed 10/19/13
Accepted 11/1/13

sGPA 3.82 nsGPA 3.73 cGPA 3.78
MCAT V9/P9/B8
Extra Curricular: Research, Volunteer, Teaching, Community Service

I hope this is helpful information. I am happy to answer any questions.

Congratulations to all who have been accepted to COMP-Northwest! I've been accepted to the Pomona campus. Maybe I will see you on the big screen during some classes. When I interviewed at Pomona on 9/12/13, we visited a class demonstrating the video-conferencing capabilities of both campuses.

Would any current students let me know how the video-conferencing is going for them? Is it beneficial? I also heard that it goes both ways. Some class sessions at Pomona, CA are remotely taught by COMP-NW faculty. Heck, I even heard the dean for all of COMP (both campuses) is stationed in Oregon!

You heard correctly that classes are taught by both NW and SoCal faculty. There has initially been some imbalance, as there are more faculty in SoCal and the NW students are stuck asking questions remotely more often, but they've been trying to even things out a bit by flying a professor up North for a week or whatever. I haven't had any personal experience with the video lectures (I'm c/o 2014, so they started the year after me), but the impression I get from the underclassmen is that it's not a huge deal unless you're the type who likes to ask a lot of questions. Personally, I tended to watch the podcasts of the lectures anyway.

And yes, the new Dean was the head of the NW campus. The old SoCal dean stepped down unexpectedly, and they had her simply take over both campuses. Presumably they'll have someone on the ground down there who's in charge of the day-to-day stuff.

You heard correctly that classes are taught by both NW and SoCal faculty. There has initially been some imbalance, as there are more faculty in SoCal and the NW students are stuck asking questions remotely more often, but they've been trying to even things out a bit by flying a professor up North for a week or whatever. I haven't had any personal experience with the video lectures (I'm c/o 2014, so they started the year after me), but the impression I get from the underclassmen is that it's not a huge deal unless you're the type who likes to ask a lot of questions. Personally, I tended to watch the podcasts of the lectures anyway.

And yes, the new Dean was the head of the NW campus. The old SoCal dean stepped down unexpectedly, and they had her simply take over both campuses. Presumably they'll have someone on the ground down there who's in charge of the day-to-day stuff.
Thanks for the helpful info, Jedi. :)

what percent of the lectures are streamed at COMP NW? is like 80% streaming from Pomona so the NW campus only gets 20% in person lectures? What the quality of the videos? Are they high quality? Is it slow or choppy? ie lags and you miss things? from what i understand attending lecture is mandatory?

also, the classes are pass/fail right?

Where can I find a list of rotation sites for COMP-Northwest? I found one for Pomona but couldn't find one for NW. Also, are there any opportunities to rotate in CA as a 3rd/4th year?

ii for Nov 16 received this afternoon, received secondary complete notification on 11/4.

...deep sigh of relief...

ii for Nov 16 received this afternoon, received secondary complete notification on 11/4.

...deep sigh of relief...

Wow, that was fast. Congrats! I just got an ii too, but was complete back in September.

IS, 34 MCAT, avg GPA

Wow, that was fast. Congrats! I just got an ii too, but was complete back in September.

IS, 34 MCAT, avg GPA

Thanks and congrats back at you! I was a bit surprised at how fast it was turned around.

My stats were sGPA 3.93 cGPA 3.81 MCAT: 38 Great LORs underwhelming ECs (IMHO)

How long did it take to get the "complete" email? They've had all of my application materials visible on my file for a month, but I've yet to receive anything saying I'm complete. I assumed because my letters and other materials were there, that I was.

How long did it take to get the "complete" email? They've had all of my application materials visible on my file for a month, but I've yet to receive anything saying I'm complete. I assumed because my letters and other materials were there, that I was.

For me it was about 3 days from when they had all my materials to when i got the email saying that processing was complete and they were forwarding it on to the adcom. The next day I received the ii. In your case, I would suggest emailing an inquiry as to what, if anything, is left unfulfilled on your end.

For me it was about 3 days from when they had all my materials to when i got the email saying that processing was complete and they were forwarding it on to the adcom. The next day I received the ii. In your case, I would suggest emailing an inquiry as to what, if anything, is left unfulfilled on your end.
Thanks, and congrats!

To those of you getting ii's, any of you have MD letters instead of DO?